Obesity

AuthorMessage
Richey Edwards.
Demolition Lover
Richey Edwards.
October 5th, 2009 at 07:00pm
What are your views on obese people?
What about the medically obese?
How can we solve the problem of obesity in chilren and adults?
dotdotdot
Killjoy
dotdotdot
October 6th, 2009 at 05:53pm
I think that the reason people are obese are because of mental and psychological problems. They use binge eating to satisfy the hunger in their innerselves and it doesn't really help. They eat and eat even if the void isn't filled.

We can only solve the problem by fixing their mental stability.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 6th, 2009 at 06:43pm
mannaquin:

Obese people arnt insane or mentally unstable.

I think food just becomes a comfort to some people, and it becomes a vicious cycle, because the bigger and more housebound obese people become, the more there gunna turn to food.
dotdotdot
Killjoy
dotdotdot
October 7th, 2009 at 10:52am
They are turning to food because they need comfort. They need comfort because they aren't mentally stable. They aren't mentally stable because somethign happened to them in their life. I used to binge eat. It took me forever to lose allt he weight. I binge ate because something happened in my life that traumatized me. I finally learned to semi cope with it and that is when the eatign stopped. Sometimes it comes back when I'm feeling helpless. I know a lot of obese people that binge eat and get obese because of their mental stability. It may not work for everyone but it will work for people like me.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 7th, 2009 at 12:09pm
Turning to anything for comfort doesn't mean your Insane, and goinb through a traumatic time doesn't make you insane, I don't get how you come to that conclusion?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 7th, 2009 at 07:14pm
John St. John:
mannaquin:

Obese people arnt insane or mentally unstable.

I think food just becomes a comfort to some people, and it becomes a vicious cycle, because the bigger and more housebound obese people become, the more there gunna turn to food.

Actually, I would argue that as a sign of instability. It's not insulting or demeaning to be mentally unstable, and it's NOT the same thing as insanity, not even close, so it's really distracting from the point when you use that term, since it wasn't used by anyone else.

There are actually studies being done (lacking links right now) that show a sort of chemical reaction in the human brain that, once the stomach feels full or appetite is sated, makes a person see what they are currently eating as not just undesirable but even gross, for lack of a better word. Which is why sometimes when you pig out on cake, after a while the thought of eating more makes you feel sick.

These studies propose the idea that, in the minds of those who overeat or binge eat, there may be something wrong with that switch.

It's not bad to have something wrong. I'd think it was worse to say there's nothing wrong and that they're just gluttons, because it has to be one or the other really.
dotdotdot
Killjoy
dotdotdot
October 8th, 2009 at 10:34am
I come to that conclusion because I ahve lived through binge eating and currently struggle with it at times. I come to that conclusion because many others I know, and me struggle witht hat to fill something inside. It is a defensive psychological method. What do you think causes obesity?
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
October 8th, 2009 at 04:04pm
John St. John:
Turning to anything for comfort doesn't mean your Insane, and goinb through a traumatic time doesn't make you insane, I don't get how you come to that conclusion?
being mentally unstable doesn't mean you're insane...
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 8th, 2009 at 07:44pm
I always wouldve classed them as having pretty much the same meaning; I'll try explain it better next time D:

Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
October 8th, 2009 at 10:00pm
well lets go ahead and be honest, there are many reasons for it, the list is practically endless. kids stay inside more, playing video games, i hardly ever see kids on bikes or outside playing football now. not to mention heakthier foods are a little more pricey, so its easier and cheaoer to buy more fattening foods.

some of it is also genetics, my brothers and i got our weight and acne from my dad's side of the family. but it can USUALLY be maintained diet and exercise, in some cases, like that of my friend valerie who has been going to the gym and cutting back on unhealthy foods for a while now, she cant lose weight. she's never been able to. so it depends in some cases on genes and such.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 9th, 2009 at 09:12am
^ Unfortunately, the food price issue is not the same everywhere. It's a problem in America for sure, one that I have a serious problem with, but in European countries this is not the case. I don't know about every country in Europe, nor am I sure about the UK, but in Germany for example the junky food costs more than regular produce, pasta, breads, etc.

And truthfully there are ways for people with little money to buy healthier food. Food stamps is a good example, and one thing that upset me during my time as a grocery cashier. If people weren't so lazy that they'd rather use food stamps for soda, cookies, and chips, then they could be having water, fruits, and vegetables to prepare meals. They just prefer to eat those things. It's more fun and tasty. Plus no cooking time, no thinking, no following recipes.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 18th, 2009 at 09:43pm
Ghostgirl191:
not to mention heakthier foods are a little more pricey, so its easier and cheaoer to buy more fattening foods.
It actually costs less to go to a supermarket and buy fruit and vegetables than it does to go to, say, a fast food joint and buy a large meal. The other day at the green grocers I bought a large bag of lettuce, a bag of mushrooms, five roma tomatoes, a couple of spanish onions, a cucumber and some bread for $5.50. Most people spend more money at fast food joints on pizza, or a hamburger meal, or whatever.

Having said that, it probably differs from region to region. It's just comparatively, I've found healthy foods to cost roughly the same as junk food, or fatty food.

I think if people actually thought more about what they were putting into their mouths, the healthy foods would be more appealing.

Even in places where healthy food might be more expensive than junk, I highly doubt the difference would be overwhelming.
dotdotdot
Killjoy
dotdotdot
October 19th, 2009 at 10:41am
I agree. I've gone through the eating disorder of using food to fill something and I realized thast it wasn't worth it because it didn't help anything. Therefore binge eating is instability which means it causes more instability as a ripple affect, then causes obesity.If we can afford better, healthier food obesity may not be completely changed but would be helped a bit.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
October 19th, 2009 at 07:44pm
Mindfuck:
It actually costs less to go to a supermarket and buy fruit and vegetables than it does to go to, say, a fast food joint and buy a large meal. The other day at the green grocers I bought a large bag of lettuce, a bag of mushrooms, five roma tomatoes, a couple of spanish onions, a cucumber and some bread for $5.50. Most people spend more money at fast food joints on pizza, or a hamburger meal, or whatever.

Really? Wow. Where I live the same amount of food would be about $40
I've noticed that people who come into my work and pay with food stamps are almost always heavy set or obese and by really bad foods. I think there's a link between poverty and obesity, but it may not be just that they can't afford healthy foods.
dotdotdot
Killjoy
dotdotdot
October 20th, 2009 at 10:25am
Max!:

Really? Wow. Where I live the same amount of food would be about $40
I've noticed that people who come into my work and pay with food stamps are almost always heavy set or obese and by really bad foods. I think there's a link between poverty and obesity, but it may not be just that they can't afford healthy foods.

That is a really good point and it might be true but we must remember that not all obese are in poverty and not all in poverished people are obese. So what about the others?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 20th, 2009 at 06:29pm
Mindfuck:

Whoooa. Where do you live? Because I am moving there. Never, in any of the places I have lived and traveled, have I seen that, especially at an organic/health food store. When I argue for the ability to eat well on a budget, I usually reference farmers' markets or bargain shopping.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 22nd, 2009 at 12:31am
^Australia Wink

I go to my local green grocers, though. They're cheaper than supermarkets.
And really... I can't understand how something like what I described could cost a lot. It was just some vegetables, and some turkish bread.

It wasn't organic (at least I don't think), but I usually can't tell the diff between organic and 'normal' produce.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
October 22nd, 2009 at 12:59am
In urban areas, there's often a severe lack of grocery stores. Some people simply don't have access to healthy foods and fresh vegetables.
There are no chain grocery stores whatsoever in the entire city of Detroit.

What about people who don't qualify for food stamps? Produce is still usually more expensive than other, often corn-based foods.
Time has a great article with a comparison between the number of calories a dollar will buy of unhealthy food versus healthy food.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 22nd, 2009 at 12:45pm
not so pretty.:
In urban areas, there's often a severe lack of grocery stores. Some people simply don't have access to healthy foods and fresh vegetables.
There are no chain grocery stores whatsoever in the entire city of Detroit.

What about people who don't qualify for food stamps? Produce is still usually more expensive than other, often corn-based foods.
Time has a great article with a comparison between the number of calories a dollar will buy of unhealthy food versus healthy food.

well I can't agree with the urban area thing because the urban area closest to me has everything. If you want something, you can get it. But the thing is that a lot of times you have to pay at least a few more dollars to get something healthier. Unhealthy foods more practical. But in that movie "Supersize me" this school for 'troubled teens' had a healthy lunch program with fruits and veggies, and in the movie they said that that lunch program costs the same as any typical lunch program that's around anyplace else.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 22nd, 2009 at 09:31pm
You were just presented with clear evidence showing you that NOT ALL urban areas have everything available. Not every city is the same.