Don't have an account? Create one!

Rumors Thread

AuthorMessage
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
November 16th, 2010 at 05:20pm
So Gerard is having the occasional drink and he feels fine about it.

http://xtheunclassifieds.tumblr.com/post/1594138516
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 16th, 2010 at 05:25pm
x..touching_hands..x:

cue (lol @ me queue) the anger.
Search and Destroy
Search and Destroy
November 16th, 2010 at 05:28pm
Well his life has changed in a big way, he has settled down and has a family etc

x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
November 16th, 2010 at 05:32pm
fabulous killjoy.:
cue (lol @ me queue) the anger.

Well we could queue if you like. Collectively we are very good at that Laughing

He's in charge of his own life and I'm all for autonomy. Sobriety is a huge thing in the US though, isn't it? In the UK, not so much.
Finnick Odair
In the Cannibal Glow
Finnick Odair
November 16th, 2010 at 05:36pm
I don't really know what to think of that, but as long as he's looking after himself and drinking responsibly and not getting tanked off his ass, you know? I kind of had a feeling he was drinking again. But it doesn't bother me. As long as he doesn't harm himself again like before.
Emilyy
Awake and Unafraid
Emilyy
November 16th, 2010 at 05:52pm
Paint It Black:
Rumour: MCR will be touring Europe in February.

this.

last i heard, they were pencilled in at the o2 academy where i work to play in february.
eeek.
though it was just pencilled in, so subject to change, but fingers crossed eh.
Finnick Odair
In the Cannibal Glow
Finnick Odair
November 16th, 2010 at 05:57pm
Emilyy:

this.

last i heard, they were pencilled in at the o2 academy where i work to play in february.
eeek.
though it was just pencilled in, so subject to change, but fingers crossed eh.

Hey thanks for the head's up! Smile
punkchick18
Killjoy
punkchick18
November 16th, 2010 at 09:29pm
ok i am really angry after reading that , i'm not so sure how i feel about this band anymore .
Finnick Odair
In the Cannibal Glow
Finnick Odair
November 16th, 2010 at 09:31pm
^ Why are you angry?

He's got it under control and it's not like he's stumbling into plants anymore or anything.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 16th, 2010 at 09:36pm
punkchick18:
ok i am really angry after reading that , i'm not so sure how i feel about this band anymore .
you have no reason to be angry. and gerard having an occasional drink does not equal the whole band, so idg how you're gonna let this affect your whole pov on the band

what he does in his own time is his own business. i DO NOT think he drinks on stage (as some people thought in previous pages), i do believe he was drinking red bull as he always HAS drank red bull in a glass on stage. he is 33 years old, he has his band mates and his family to make sure what happened last time does not happen again. he's no longer on the cocktail of booze and drugs, and he obviously isn't drinking just to get drunk like he was. the drugs and alcohol fucked him up COMBINED.

i'm sorry, but he has done nothing wrong.
punkchick18
Killjoy
punkchick18
November 16th, 2010 at 09:58pm
Well lets say he goes over the edge again bandit will have an alcoholic for a father and lynz will have to pick up the pieces . But its not so much that its just his whole attitude towards everything his done thats helped everyone , when asked about being a saviour he said like trying to be a saviour makes you rad anyway even if you don't succeed , sorry i just feel thats taking the piss . But thats just my opinion , other people may not feel that way but i do .
littlejeka
Generation Nothing
littlejeka
November 16th, 2010 at 10:02pm
He adores bandit, he knows what would happen if he did start
drinking alot, and it seems that he's just having a drink or two, not like before.
He's human after all, he knows the consequences, he's 30 after all.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 16th, 2010 at 10:05pm
punkchick18:
Well lets say he goes over the edge again bandit will have an alcoholic for a father and lynz will have to pick up the pieces . But its not so much that its just his whole attitude towards everything his done thats helped everyone , when asked about being a saviour he said like trying to be a saviour makes you rad anyway even if you don't succeed , sorry i just feel thats taking the piss . But thats just my opinion , other people may not feel that way but i do .
but he's not drinking the way he was before. but ok
punkchick18
Killjoy
punkchick18
November 16th, 2010 at 11:50pm
I know and maybe i'm overreacting but there's something called an alcoholic state of mind , basically the recovered addict says to themselves " i've been ok for solong , maybe it will be alright to just have one drink " and then the cycle begins , just because his not drinking as much as he used to now doesn't mean he won't start next year , i'm just very worried and have a horriblr feeling in my gut that this is going to go terribly wrong . But as you say his a big boy , he'll do what he wants . When it comes to his attitude know i'm still a little bit pissed of with him .
Emilyy
Awake and Unafraid
Emilyy
November 17th, 2010 at 06:34am
punkchick18:

agreed but in a slightly different way.

“I thought if we made an album that tried to change the world, or give it hope, it would really happen,” Way says, cheerfully. “But all people found was death and destruction and misery and self-hate. I learned that the world doesn’t want to be saved, and it will fucking punch you in the face if you try.”

well if you listen to the daily mail, then yes, that is all your albums in the past have achieved, just look at all the kids who have killed themselves because of YOUR music.
yeah whatever dude, maybe go listen to the true fans, who did find hope in your music and speechs back in the day, and then took the complete opposite from your albums.

---

“Hell no.” He pauses. “But that was a fun image to play with. Because even if you miss the mark, you’re probably gonna be a pretty remarkable person. Shoot for savior, and end up being rad.”

that was the lamest line in the world to say.
'hey, im going to PLAY savior for a bit, just because, in the end, i'll come off looking rad'
so not because you genuinely cared about 'saving peoples lives' just because..you wanted to come out the other end looking cool.

--

and as for the drinking thing, if its the occasional one, then fair enough, this line however makes me think he's forgotten everything:

“[Sobriety] became such a thing,” he says. “It was so goddamn important to everyone but me."

yeah, it was important to everyone.... maybe if you went and watched old videos of yourself, and watched life on the murder scene again, you'd realise why.
but yeah, go for it, its clearly not important to stay sober if that (everything in LOTMS and what we know from the old days) is all that happens...
i dont care if hes having the occasional drink, but the attitude is a bit lame and worrying.

--

ive been a massive fan of this band for years, done the camping outside overnight, travelled around the country, believed in everything theyve said...im not some MCR hater, im just a bit miffed over the whole thing.

i just read a fans comment on the new album danger days, and they said that this is different, but the same old mcr message is behind it, 'dont take anyones shit' bla bla.... but is that really what their message is? after reading that interview im doubting it ever was to begin with.
Finnick Odair
In the Cannibal Glow
Finnick Odair
November 17th, 2010 at 07:16am
In a way, I can see why you're disappointed, and that you've lost faith in their message a little, but if you put yourself in their shoes, you'd understand that they had to change. Musically, they had to change because they weren't happy and they didn't want to churn out TBP Part 2. Message-wise, they couldn't continue on the way they were because it just wasn't working. Yeah, some fans really clung onto their music and it saved their lives, but there was also so much negativity surrounding it and they were just apart of the whole vampire/darkness culture and they didn't want to be there.

I think the message is still there. I think the band still cares deeply. But I think it's being told in a different way. Some fans may love it and find new meanings and hope in the new songs, whereas some may not and that's fine. They don't have to get it. Personally I don't see how anyone couldn't be inspired by Kids From Yesterday and see how important their music is, but I know some people won't feel that as much.

As for Gerard's attitude, I think he's perfectly capable of holding his drink. He'll be fine. No one would let him drink if he couldn't handle it, but even so. He can do what he wants. I think trying to be a saviour put way too much pressure on him. Because then they just got the blame when that girl tragically killed herself, and no one wants that on their shoulders. I think the message is still there, but it's tougher. Their music is there to save your life if you need it to, but it's how YOU take the meaning. They don't tell you it should for you. Like Gerard said-- this music is for us, but they want to also say that we're strong on our own and that if they disappeared tomorrow, we'd all still be okay.

They don't want to hold our hands through all our problems and heartbreak anymore. They want to tell us to toughen up and be our own people without needing anything to save our lives but ourselves. That's the message I'm getting anyways.
Emilyy
Awake and Unafraid
Emilyy
November 17th, 2010 at 07:51am
im not slating him for having the occasional drink now - but its what he said about it. if he had said 'im having the occasional drink because ive learnt how to handle it' then i wouldnt even bother mentioning it, but he said its more because he didnt get why it was so important to everyone bla bla. when.... if he remembered what he used to be like he'd know why it was so important.

and i get that theyve changed... and im not slating that, nor am i too bothered, we've had like 10 years of that now.
but its more that hes made it all sound like a joke. when we took it all seriously.
saying he did it because he'd come off rad at the end... instead of just because he genuinely thought he could change someones life...
he talks about how it was a punch in the face... well if anything hes just punched us in the face saying that tbf.

im not bothered that theyve changed, they probably needed to change, and i do think to be fair, that releasing a happy positive album is the way forward and will have a better impact on people than singing about death, but thats no reason to say what hes said in the interview =/

im sure its just not come out how he meant it or something to me....but its still kinda come across a bit lame.

i like the new album - but only really like it live lol.
i think its been too heavily edited on the album - whereas live you just hear it raw and i enjoyed what i heard much more live than on the album. ie: the kids from yesterday was literally my favourite song in the world live, but im disappointed now ive heard it on the album. bring on a live album!
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
November 17th, 2010 at 08:49am
x..touching_hands..x:

To be quite honest, I don't really care that he's drinking again.

And I don't mean that I don't care about him, what I mean is that as long as he's not trying to kill himself, I'm okay with it. I trust his judgment.

I mean, he's 33 and I'm only 15. I shouldn't be making decisions for him. XD
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 17th, 2010 at 09:20am
what i'm seeing from people is they, they, they. it is gerard. not frank. not ray. not mikey. there is no THEY it is HIM.

and it's not the fact that he doens't remember what he was like, it's the fact that the fandom makes a huge shit about it when it comes up. he cleaned himself up and then people kept running with the sobriety notion, and when someone accused him of drinking everyone would BLOW UP. it wouldn't surprise me if fans went up grilling him if he drank or not. his sobriety became irrelevant after he got over that time in his mind, but in the fans eyes it was still a huge part of his life.

he is not going to say the right things all of the time. he doesn't belong on the highest up pedestal. he is known to say some pretty stupid things.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 17th, 2010 at 12:49pm
i would also like to quote some people on LJ

roxy_palace on LJ:
You know the real people in the world to be wary of are the ones who WANT to be everyone's saviour, and behave like they have all the answers. The fact he doesn't makes him all the more worthy.

And yes, it is his life.

I'm so glad I read this stuff here and not at UNofficial. I would have been tearing my hair out.

I've been sober for 8 years...and I really understand what he's saying about it meaning more to others than him.

He's not the same person he was when he was falling down drunk. I'm not the same person I was either. But when you get tagged with the lable 'ALCOHOLIC' people decide this is an incurable state from which you will never emerge. That's the AA way. And while I thank them for getting me sober, I no longer need to be a life long penitent to stay that way.

I feel like that's some of what he was saying. He's decided what his limit is and is setting it for himself. Just like I set mine for me.

As someone who has made a decision not to drink for the forseeable future I have to say, I fucking hate the monitors...the people who ware either waiting for you to slip up so they can point and take the piss, because they would never be strong enough to make a decision like that, or the people who for some reason think it's their place to make sure you'll never drink again, who tut and um and ah and when you sit down to dinner these are the dicks who'll be the first to say "Oh, she doesn't drink!" when the wine menue comes round, as if the very sight of the words WINE and BEER are going to tip you over the egde and into a three day bender.

I knwo the mean well, but seriously, fuck off. I'm capable NOW of saying no. I may not have been in the past, but today I am.

I'm also capable of saying yes. I just choose not to.

Those people, the monitors, they make a mockery of my strength and determination to be a better person. To be well and sober. Becasue they don't give me the sapce to do it in. I avoid them if I can.

I imagine Gerard has felt some of this in the last few years. I love that quote about the Smiths - that rings so true to me. Because at the end of the day our sobriety is our decision. Our choice. And anyone who thinks it's their right to monitor that just because once, long ago, I needed to cling to a lable to get through a rough patch, can go fuck themselves.

Also, he is fucking Rad.

One sour note, hon, is that alcoholics who love their familes hurt them all the time. His family is no guarantee against him hurting them with drink.

What is a guarantee is, as a couple of other people have said, his happiness, his obvious enjoyment of life right now and his obvious health.

No one who boozes big time in their 30s looks as good as he looks these days. That's a fact.

Anyway...I just wanted to say it's nice to see so many people not flipping out over his honesty. Would they rather he lied?
scorpy808 on LJ:
As someone who also went through an alcohol and pills phase and went cold turkey I can honestly say that the "sobriety" thing seems almost as much bullshit as the wasted thing after awhile. You put a restriction on yourself because you can't trust yourself. When you actually CAN trust yourself again - when you have true happiness, what do you need restrictions for?

I feel many people are not going to "get" that at all. But then I also feel those same types of people should mind their own fucking business and stop obsessing about someone else's life.
. Smile

fighttosurvive on LJ:
I don't get the big deal about Gerard not wanting to be a savior. He isn't a savior, he's just a person like the rest of us are. And he's not telling anyone to not find inspiration in him or the band- he's just doesn't want people to get too dependent on his image. It's not a bad thing unless you make it one. -shrug-

======================
now i would like to add my interpretation to his quote and make it not look as DB, because honestly I don't think he meant it in a douchey way at all and I think it was sorely misinterpreted. I will stan Gerard, this is what I do

"[Sobriety] became such a thing," he says. "It was so goddamn important to everyone but me. You start to feel like the two guys in the Smiths who wanted to eat cheeseburgers but had to pretend not to.

The fans made a huge deal out of the sobriety factor. Eventually, he grew sick of everyone making a huge fuss about his sobriety and had become better mentally from where he was back in the early band days. He started to feel like he could start drinking again in limitations because he had become better, but he had to hide this fact because if he made it known, there would be a huge uproar (like rn).

I understand that kids look up to me, that some people might have gotten sober because of me. But it's not an important thing for me anymore."
He don't curr about being 100% sober like he used to when he was recovering. Doesn't mean he's going out nightly getting crunk with Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan.

You're no one's savior, you mean.

"Hell no." He pauses.

because he doesn't want people to depend on him and use him as a crutch when they don't even know him.

"But that was a fun image to play with.
horribly worded on his end, i'll give you guys that. but he played sober jesus for a while and he was good with that for a while.

Because even if you miss the mark, you're probably gonna be a pretty remarkable person.
You try to be sober for good, but in the end, you don't make it for forever. but you're still a good person who did good things and ended up in a way better mental state than he was when he was getting obliterated on drugs and alcohol combined.

Shoot for savior, and end up being rad."
shoot for trying to be everyone's sober hero, but he ended up still being a pretty ok guy in the end even if he is drinking a bit. and it's not a huge deal to him, because while he's drinking, he's still happy and not depressed as fuck like he was.

I will now step off my soapbox about this, until I turn into hxc Gerard stan again.