Don't have an account? Create one!

Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys

AuthorMessage
M.I.
Killjoy
M.I.
January 19th, 2011 at 09:50am
Who said anything about National Television? Lol I said he hasn't improved in YEARS. He hasn't improved since the Black Parade... Which was YEARS ago. I don't even get why they would record songs he knows he CAN'T sing live. I really just hate Sing. It's simplistic and corny. The only part I like is Gerard's little breakdown near the end... and he can't even sing that part right live.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 19th, 2011 at 10:59am
Because sing was just aired last night on conan and I figured it was coming from that. My bad~

Maybe he simply just doesn't have time for vocal lessons.
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
January 19th, 2011 at 01:21pm
Except for that year he had off. lol

But I do agree that his vocals could be better. I know they are back to being busy and all, but it is a fairly important skill when you are the lead singer of a band... Only takes a little bit of time lesson wise, then surely you can be shown techniques to work on in your own time? I don't know, I've not had lessons myself! lol
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 19th, 2011 at 01:22pm
Firegarder:
Except for that year he had off. lol
Yeah a year off with a kid to take care of.
M.I.
Killjoy
M.I.
January 19th, 2011 at 02:08pm
Saying he didn't have time isn't an excuse. Working on your vocals and recording an album should be one in the same. He shouldn't have to rely on autotune and luck to hit half of the notes in the songs. Sing sounds horrible and the most horrible part live is where he sings "sing" on the chorus. He just sounds tone deaf. I prefer him being drunk and him sounding horrible but spazzing on the stage with tons of energy. Watching him stand in one spot or sing to the floor trying his hardest to hits notes while utterly failing is a sad sight. I used to think nothing of this until I saw other bands and realized that they SHOULDN'T be so shitty live. It's just annoying cause this is my favorite band and I shouldn't be disappointedwith any aspect of their music.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
January 19th, 2011 at 03:29pm
I love his voice. Shifty2
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
January 19th, 2011 at 03:39pm
The Rumor:

I love his voice too. For one, it doesn't sound like every other mainstream voice out there, it's got unique qualities.

I could go on defending him with a list of reasons, but I'm just going to leave it. We all have our opinions.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
January 19th, 2011 at 04:24pm
The Rumor:

I do, too.
I've seen them twice and he sounds fine to me.
littlejeka
Generation Nothing
littlejeka
January 19th, 2011 at 05:08pm
Having him drunk on stage just to make him sound better?
Sorry, but that's a terrible idea. He was depressed and unhappy when he was drunk.
I love his voice, his imperfect voice if you call it. He sounds fine to me live.
As for sing being a corny song? I think it just means being yourself and that you need
to do something to live for. I love sing and live it's just amazing.
The Fab Four
Always Born a Crime
The Fab Four
January 19th, 2011 at 05:20pm
I love Gerard's voice and the thing I love about MCR is that they do sound amazing live, Gerard included, but I have to agree that hearing 'Sing' live really makes me cringe.
I don't particularly like the song anyway, and I just think it's such a hard song to sing live...I don't think it's just Gerard's fault but it doesn't really suit his voice at all and who ever decided that it was a good song for a single obviously never heard him try to sing it live!
PansytheLion
Killjoy
PansytheLion
January 19th, 2011 at 05:27pm
The criticisms of Gerards voice has also baffled me, MCR have never tried to be about pitch perfect singing, MCR's roots are punk. His singing is a representation of the madness of the persona of punk/MCR/the lyrics, and I love hearing his off key, imperfect voice, it would ruin it if he came out crooning ballads. That's why I love The Kids From yesterday when he blatantly sings the end very off key and crazy. It's beautiful madness! Very Happy
M.I.
Killjoy
M.I.
January 19th, 2011 at 08:13pm
His voice is unique. That's one of the main reasons I like this band. Live it just sounds strained and off pitch. I have no problems with this during high energy songs, but when the song is mostly a vocal performance, he should sound at least decent. Eh. It's a minor gripe.
skeleton00x
Jazz Hands
skeleton00x
January 21st, 2011 at 03:14pm
In my opinion it's more of Gerard's style. His style isn't supposed to be a 100% clean. I think his vocals are perfectly fine. Performing for TV is a whole different scenario compared to performing for an actual show. I love his voice and when I watched him on Conan and Lopez tonight, I thought he sounded great.
StillNoUsername
Killjoy
StillNoUsername
January 21st, 2011 at 05:53pm
*claps at M.I.*
I agree that it's gerards style to be sloppy and raw, but that's b/c he used to jump around and rock out on stage and be an utter psycho, in which case, you don't want that guys voice to be all that pretty. You want grittiness. But if you're going to do a song like Sing, AND you're not going to move on stage, the one assett you have is to hit your notes and blow everyone away so we forget that all you're doing is standing there. Instead, like they said, I'm just painfully aware of him trying so hard and failing. I also don't like the backup singers, I think it's a cool idea and I think on a different song it would have been successful, but since Sing is kind of lackluster anyway, it's just weird and out of place. I guess my issue is with the A&R team then, choosing the shittiest song of MCRs entire catalogue as the single.

As fans who know about MCRs past it's hard to be objective about the performance and we want to judge it based on what they've been through or whatever, like, 'oh, the performance wasn't superb but they've been through this and that and oh they must be exhausted, so taking all that into account, this performance was actually ok.' But listen, the Late Night audiences watching at home don't know any of that. No excuses. You're selling an album and you have to be on top of your game.
M.I.
Killjoy
M.I.
January 22nd, 2011 at 02:59pm
I'm glad somebody understands what I'm saying. I'm fine with things not being perfect on high energy songs like "Thank You For The Venom" etc. It was foolish of me to bring their faults up on an MCR forum lol. I love their albums but Gerard needs to work on his live performance. He's the only one holding the band back during performances. I guess most of their fans will hail anything they do as golden and that's probably part of the problem.

BUT... My favorite song on the album is a tie between Bulletproof Heart and Summertime. Lyrically, I still find glimpses of old MCR on the album. I used to be REALLY heavy on rap until I 1st listened to Black Parade. Its safe to say they're my favorite band.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 22nd, 2011 at 03:03pm
M.I.:
It was foolish of me to bring their faults up on an MCR forum lol..... I guess most of their fans will hail anything they do as golden and that's probably part of the problem.
Most of the people who responded to you, I'm sure, do not feel like the band shits rainbows and unicorns. You came on an MCR forum publicly speaking your opinion and everyone else who frequents this forum spoke theirs. What more did you want people to do, agree with you? idgi. Nobody attacked you, just said what they thought about his voice.
Finnick Odair
In the Cannibal Glow
Finnick Odair
January 22nd, 2011 at 03:06pm
You can't expect the majority of fans to agree with your opinion, MI, even though they're respected on here. This is after all a fansite, so everyone here is fond of their music...that's why they're here.
M.I.
Killjoy
M.I.
January 22nd, 2011 at 03:16pm
Am I the only one who hears "hey pinch my skin" instead of "he burns my skin" on Scarecrow? Makes more sense to me too.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 22nd, 2011 at 03:17pm
I hear burns...
Finnick Odair
In the Cannibal Glow
Finnick Odair
January 22nd, 2011 at 03:22pm
I hear burns too, but people have heard different. One girl wrote the lyrics down on a lyrics website as: Hey bitch, my skin!

So your guess isn't the worst XD