Don't have an account? Create one!

Love and Hate

AuthorMessage
xXDetonator_StaticXx
Killjoy
xXDetonator_StaticXx
February 14th, 2011 at 03:53pm
I didn't see another thread about this topic, but I could be wrong.)

Something just occurred to me. A lot of people classify "Love" and "Hate" as completely different from each other, but aren't they really just the same emotion? Each feeling induces an intense passion (which could be good or bad) and excessive thought about one individual or a whole group of things. And each emotion can cause one to act irrationally (For example, look at someone who is hopelessly in love or filled with hate and compare their behavior to someone who is in a logical state of mind)

And love can easily turn to hate within an instant, or the reverse could happen. The people we love and/or hate can easily become either our friends or detested enemies. But either way, you would still feel passionately for that person and spend your time thinking about them.

So what do you think? Are love and hate technically the same thing or are they completely unrelated? Is it possible to love someone and hate them at the same time?
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
February 14th, 2011 at 04:30pm
I don't think they're unrelated but I also don't think they're at all the same thing. Kind of like black and white, which are both technically just shades but have vastly different appearances and results.

I think the biggest thing that sets them apart is motivation. If you genuinely hate someone, they may have done something bad to you and you'll probably want bad things to happen to them (both of which are negative). If you genuinely love someone, they may have done something good to/for you and you'll probably want good things to happen to them (both of which are positive).
Vaseline
Shotgun Sinner
Vaseline
February 15th, 2011 at 02:47pm
you hate someone because you love them. if you don't love them, you wouldn't care what they do.
or, you hate someone because they take what you love.
love and hate are always related. there's a thin line between them.
but that's just my opinion.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
February 17th, 2011 at 12:36am
I always thought that love and hate were somewhat the two ends of an open circle. Both of them can go extreme... but somehow I dont think you can ever love someone you hate.. I dont think they're the same.
R1zbear
Killjoy
R1zbear
February 21st, 2011 at 04:37am
xXDetonator_StaticXx:
I didn't see another thread about this topic, but I could be wrong.)

Something just occurred to me. A lot of people classify "Love" and "Hate" as completely different from each other, but aren't they really just the same emotion? Each feeling induces an intense passion (which could be good or bad) and excessive thought about one individual or a whole group of things. And each emotion can cause one to act irrationally (For example, look at someone who is hopelessly in love or filled with hate and compare their behavior to someone who is in a logical state of mind)

And love can easily turn to hate within an instant, or the reverse could happen. The people we love and/or hate can easily become either our friends or detested enemies. But either way, you would still feel passionately for that person and spend your time thinking about them.

So what do you think? Are love and hate technically the same thing or are they completely unrelated? Is it possible to love someone and hate them at the same time?
I also think so.
yes, love and hate are technically the same thing and they are completely unrelated

Darkromance
March 2nd, 2011 at 04:54am
yeah. everyone is selfish. everything that we ever do is for our own comfort deep down in some way or another. Hatred is a selfish feeling and love is a selfish feeling. You hate because you feel that the thing that you are hating is somehow detrimental to you in some way or another. You love something when you feel deep down inside that it somehow benefits you or(in the very least) doesn't harm your comfort to an unmanagable extent.

So in this way they really are both the same, as if they are identical conjoined twins with different fingerprints.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
March 3rd, 2011 at 05:12pm
^ I don't feel that love is a selfish thing. I don't see how feeling for someone to the point of being willing to die for them is selfish. Also, unrequited love feels downright horrible and can have very little benefit to the person loving. That doesn't seem selfish.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
March 20th, 2011 at 09:00am
Should I mention an interesting fact that the pupils in your eyes expand when you see someone you really love...AND hate?

I reckon Love and Hate are both intense emotions, but different in motivation of course.
Kick Start My Heart
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Kick Start My Heart
May 6th, 2011 at 09:35am
Vaseline:
you hate someone because you love them. if you don't love them, you wouldn't care what they do.
or, you hate someone because they take what you love.
love and hate are always related. there's a thin line between them.
but that's just my opinion.

I agree with every bit of this.

Love and hate are both emotions you can feel for the same person. I was deeply hurt by a boy and hate every bit of him for that but yet I still feel deep Love for him. Along with all the Hatred you still remember why you once loved that person and you dwell on that hope that they will return to that part of themselves, hence the Love is still there.

I believe Love and Hate are related in that they both come from your heart with the same energy needed to feel both emotions. One doesn't over run the other
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
May 24th, 2011 at 08:32am
I think love and hate are related somehow, but I think if you hate someone, it doesn't mean you love someone. I know what it feels when you are so disgusted by someone you never want to see their face again, I dont think they are related in that way, but maybe in a different way.
musicluvinggirl
Killjoy
musicluvinggirl
July 30th, 2011 at 12:50am
I think love and hate are like this (que fingers intertwineing) they are so close together. And i believe if you hate someone it can eaisly turn into love and if you love someone it can easliy turn into hate. I just think love and hate are the mother of all emotions. they are both intense feelings.
Snake_Tongue
Killjoy
Snake_Tongue
August 1st, 2011 at 06:35am
musicluvinggirl:
I think love and hate are like this (que fingers intertwineing) they are so close together. And i believe if you hate someone it can eaisly turn into love and if you love someone it can easliy turn into hate. I just think love and hate are the mother of all emotions. they are both intense feelings.
I agree with the 'love and hate are the mother of all emotions.
Every emotion you have stems down from these two, so yes they are nearly identical, and can always be linked with each other. I don't however always think they have to go hand in hand together (as I think someone above put, though maybe not int the exact words). You can hate someone without there being a trace of love.
For example, when you are in the car, yourself or someone driving, and a car in front does something stupid, lets say for instance, cuts suddenly in front of you, the you 'hate' that person. However you do 'love' them.
To love someone you have to know them. You have to know about them.
Whereas, with hate, you don't have to, and can easily hate someone you have never met, as mentioned in the example above.
So yes, love and hate are the two mother emotions, and do usually go together. But there is no rule to that, and it is not always the case.
If I didn't make much sense, or if you think i am talking bull, then just say so Smile
Snake_Tongue
Killjoy
Snake_Tongue
August 1st, 2011 at 06:36am
Oops, on the car example i meant to say you do NOT love that person .... my bad Wink
Malissaromance!!!
Killjoy
Malissaromance!!!
August 6th, 2011 at 08:53pm
Love and hate arent exactly the same but either emotion means that you care for them. The opposite of love is indifference cuz that means you have absolutely no emotions towards that peron weather they die love you or hate you you just dont care.
ceriza
Killjoy
ceriza
August 23rd, 2011 at 04:15pm
love and hate..they aren't the same.. love is overwhelming feeling unlike the hate it's full of anger..
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 24th, 2011 at 05:15pm
^ even if hate is full of anger, is that not overwhelming aswell? Wink
Disgusting
Bleeding on the Floor
Disgusting
September 30th, 2011 at 12:08pm
I know this thread has been dead for a while but I want to chip in my two cents. This is how I see it (and only that, agree or disagree if you will)

Love and Hate are two halves of the same whole. One cannot exist without the other. However calling them the same seems a little--well, in my opinion it seems inquorate. While they both effect what you think of a person by a great amount; the matter of WHY you feel that way emerge differently. You do not love someone you hate, and you do not hate someone you love. You can care about a person you hate, but caring doesn’t necessarily mean that you think that they’re important, or that you wish good will upon them. Caring could simply mean; you CARE because they HINDER you.

Whether a person is cruel to you, or you just had an automatic dislike toward them the day you laid eyes on them, you would be relieved if they were put to justice, or just vanished. When you hate a person, the only reason you ‘care’ about them is because they hinder you: either by mind or by life-style.

When you love someone it’s because they’re important to you. If you’ve never really met the person you cannot love them. The ‘love’ people hold for their favorite celebrates or whatever is commonly mistaken with infatuation. There is a very general sense of love that can often be called respect. Human beings normally hold this to others before they judge them. There’s a level of respect you (should) give people. When you finally get to know this person and you like them, you can grow attached, and enjoy their company over others. Appreciate them more then you do a person you walk by in the street.
Love and hate aren’t as complicated as people make it out to be. But there are different levels.

You can love your family because they raised you, sheltered you, fed you, etc.
You can love your friends because they offer social experiences, comfort, laughter, etc. And you may have a ‘lover’; that’s the complicated part, but everyone experiences it differently.

Hate also comes in levels.
You can hate someone who has hurt you physically, mentally, or emotionally. You can hate them for doing it on accident or on purpose. You can hate someone you don’t even know because you SEE what they’re like, and you don’t like what they do, or how they act, or what they say. You can hate someone you’ve never met before because of the things they’ve done in the past.

When you think about it, love and hate are comparable to happiness and sadness.

When you lose someone you hate, you’re either relieved or happy. Your life changes because they aren’t there to hinder your life or your mind any more. You’re happy, and excited.

When you lose someone you love, you’re shocked or saddened. Your life changes because you don’t have their support, comfort, or laughter any more. You could go about your day lazily and become unfocused. Because you feel so shot down and low. Sad. Depressed…

But both effects last only a while. It wears off eventually. You get over it and continue on in your life. Because everything has to go sometime, and that means your love and your hate as well.

The human mind is capable of so many things, complicating things that are simple and simplifying things that are complicated. Love, hate, happiness, sadness…

I mean I may have made a black and white way of looking at chemicals in our brains send out to affect our bodies behavior and feelings. If you look at it scientifically I guess everything could be different, like saying hate and love don’t really exist and it’s all just chemicals in your brain. But I’m not a scientist so we won’t go there. C:
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 10th, 2011 at 10:29pm
well, in a way they are the same because they both have to do with self interest. we are all selfish and we all do things for ourselves. so if something goes against our ideal of how things should be in OUR world, we hate it. if it works with what we want or how we feel things should be, then we love. if we love a person, it's because that person is entertaining to us and/or helps us out. Vice versa with hate
Disgusting
Bleeding on the Floor
Disgusting
October 11th, 2011 at 02:42pm
I think all emotions have to do with self interest. Except maybe empathy, but then again it's you wanting to help and understand. Not wanting someone else to do it. Right?
Killjoy.Catt.Way
Killjoy
Killjoy.Catt.Way
November 17th, 2011 at 02:33pm
i don't think they're related, but i 'spose your right, in a way ye.
buut, i couldn't love someone i dont like. x