Don't have an account? Create one!

Health and Fitness Thread

AuthorMessage
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
March 13th, 2016 at 08:13am
Hey Hana and Carrie! Since y'all brought this thread back to life a bit I figured posting here again would help me too.

So I've lost almost 40lbs and gained back probably 10lbs of it in the past 5 months or so. I'm so unhappy with how I look right now. I'm really bad about getting super into exercise and letting it consume my life and then I burn out and stop a month or 2 into whatever routine I've started. So I've decided to just start walking /jogging on my family's treadmill a few times a week. It's less intense than the workouts I was normally doing but maybe I'll be able to stick to it more.

Also I really need to do better about watching what I eat. I try to eat healthily and do well most of the time, it's the portion control that gets me.
hunzana
Awake and Unafraid
hunzana
March 14th, 2016 at 12:50am

I've started with just hiking/walking around the island in the morning to get into the swing of things. What kind of workouts would you recommend Hollie?

Portion control is probably the hardest thing for me haha.

Do you guys know any easy/fast meal prep recipies? Preferable vegetarian/pescatarian.
hunzana
Awake and Unafraid
hunzana
March 14th, 2016 at 12:55am

Also I'm trying to cut out junk food, I don't mean fast food like Maccas etc ( I haven't had fast food since I lived in australia; over 3 years ago). I'm pretty much addicted to potato chips rolling on floor I've bought bunch of macadamia nuts to try to replace them and it's worked so far, I've just gotta not give in haha.
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
March 14th, 2016 at 11:43am
I used to do pop pilates, there's a YouTube channel called blogilates and she puts out a free monthly calendar. I liked doing it, like I said I just get burnt out when I'm on a rigorous schedule like that.

I can look through my recipes and see if there's anything quick and easy (I don't eat any meat except seafood either). One thing I do all the time is make some quinoa and throw in black beans, diced tomatoes, sometimes corn, and whatever veggies you like. I'll make a big pot of it and it'll last me for like a week.
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
March 16th, 2016 at 09:10pm
alright, so after today's bout of my eyes being bigger than my stomach, my goal is to be down to 185 by Easter. I should have been there a while ago, so I need to stop dicking around and get there. Now I have a tangible date, so that should help.
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
March 17th, 2016 at 01:23am
^ my goal was to fit in this size small dress I got a few months ago by Easter. Yeah it's not going to happen, I haven't lost any weight since then. Or if I have it's not a lot.
I want to set a goal but I'm not going to focus on the scale because I get so obsessed. I'd just like to be able to keep up my mindful eating and walking/jogging a few times a week. If my clothes feel looser in a couple months then I'll know.
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
March 18th, 2016 at 09:53am
Okay I'm going to start weighing myself again. Every 2 weeks or so that way I have something to hold myself accountable with. I have no idea how much I weigh now.
I'm going to eat really well this weekend and weigh myself Sunday morning. My goal is to lose 10lbs by June 1st and another 10 by August 1st.
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
March 21st, 2016 at 03:26am
Forgot to checj back here. I haven't done an official workout since my last post, I mean, unless you count putting on MCR and rocking out. It does count, but see now I need to build again. I could feel my arms getting weak again.

I'll try to look at this closer tomorrow and see if I can't reply to some of this and also, maybe set some goals for myself...more just like a schedule. Like Hollie said, probably need to start simple or I won't stick to it either.
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
March 21st, 2016 at 10:39pm
so, last week was not a good week. Just a lot of events/gatherings, and stupidity on my part. I didn't gain, I just maintained, so that's good at least. And the fact that Uncle Frank is here definitely helps me realize, okay, that's why my weight loss is stalling.
so now that he's here, I know what to expect. I really don't know if I can make my Easter goal. I'm still going to try. But I've just got a ton of veggies in the fridge and I think that'll help keep me snacking on junk food.

but, I've decided that 10 lbs from now I'll be allowed to have pizza. I can't reward myself with "I did well all week" goals anymore. They have to be "I lost x amount" goals.
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
March 22nd, 2016 at 02:56am
omgsh! I was just talking about this "Uncle Frank" thing...oh, as much as I feel wrong about that nickname, ugh "he's" kicking my ass right now! (so, yes...that's why I am not up for anything right now.)

"well they encourage your complete cooperation..."
Can you believe I first heard this when...well, let's just say that I recall this song at least 12 times a year now. (Kinda hard to forget the comic relief of a trying day. Razz)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
oh man! I don't know what my goals should be anymore! Could I always weigh less, YES, but do I feel good when I have to work that hard to get there?? well, not really. I CAN get more strict on my diet...get some shopping done for some healthier snacks (maybe hummus and ugh, rice crackers again???) Um...but goals...i ...maybe I'll just simply start with once a week yoga or something. (that's how off a schedule I am right now).

I don't have a working scale anymore, but I think a more surefire way of measuring success, at least for me, might be with a measuring tape. So...as painstakingly annoying this is...I think I'll start this again. Yeah...I honestly don't know my weight or my measurements anymore...well, i have a rough idea of the weight, but since that's not moving, I need to look a little closer. So, tomorrow...or A.S.A.P., I'll dig out that tape and get to measuring! (step one-assessment)
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
March 26th, 2016 at 02:58am
Ok, no more excuses!

So I started off with some much needed cardio, for circulation and to clear my head. Did at least a 30 minute walk, skip, jog, routine, probably a little longer.

I DID get my measuring tape out the other day....not for body measurements though. (I wanted to see how long my hair was! Hehe) body measurements tomorrow, if I remember.

I like the idea of a weigh in every couple of weeks, or weekly, since I don't have one of my own, I can do it this way at my folks'. Now to pick a day and remember it...maybe on recycle days! (That's biweekly. Biweekly is every two weeks or...??)
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
March 28th, 2016 at 03:03am
Ok, so I got a "little" enthusiastic with this Jillian Michaels 30day shred and did well, level 2 workout tonight. (well, watched level 1 and sampled some lightly)

I found level 3, but it's some other woman doing the workout.
level 3
omgsh, shadow boxing with 8lbs!!! Well, I mean, look at her shoulders though! So, I used 3lbs dumbbells for my workout, dropping to no weights for some of the shoulder stuff.
Overall, this is just what I've needed to get out of my "rut", of course I'm always trying to do something, but I needed a little extra motivation (like doing this with buddies!) I like how in the level 3 video, she says once you've memorized it, you can use other music. (MCR baby!!! or maybe idk Electric Century? theUsed!!! (great for brisk walking!!!) or...well, you get the idea).

What else? Non workout related, I took my measurements. I am actually bigger than I thought....well, i really didn't know what I thought...but I still feel tighter and or that it's muscle. (obviously there's still plenty of fat though, but I still feel good. Well,...bad enough to improve, but good. So much better than where I was last year. Hubby reminded me that it's from cutting sugar (and wheat/gluten AND dairy, which also equals sugar) though. It really does make a difference folks! but it sucks somedays and/or you just have to have cheat days) Oh but while it might help to type up my measurements here with others um like maybe scrutinizing this, hmm I'm not going to. I'll try to write them down. Actually, I didn't do my arms and legs yet, so maybe tomorrow.

Ok. well, I think that's it. Worked up a little appetite. Think I'll do a little post workout protein shake and go to bed soon. (It's freakin' 1:54AM lol) but I feel good! Not too beat. Ohhh right! So I um didn't jump. (not keen on high impact, or much of it) so all the jumping jacks were modified. oh, and the high knees, because my quads were already tight (i mean, i kindof skipped them or did low "marches"Wink. Oh, this reminds me, I think I forgot to stretch those! Awwwweee!!! There's this MCR video where Frank is doing quad stretches before the show. (I like always do my quad stretches before any big thing, or sometimes "just cause"!) Awwwweee!!! He and I have so much in common, but he'll never know! hehe

hmm ok, my shoulders are starting to ache now as I type. Yikes! better do lots of shoulder and neck stretches after level 2. I may not be able to type tomorrow. FYI

ok, time for shake and well, first I'll post this.

g'nite!
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
March 28th, 2016 at 03:11am
hunzana:

I've started with just hiking/walking around the island in the morning to get into the swing of things. What kind of workouts would you recommend Hollie?

Portion control is probably the hardest thing for me haha.

Do you guys know any easy/fast meal prep recipies? Preferable vegetarian/pescatarian.

um, idk if this is soo fast (it's relative. fast fast for me is a bowl of cereal haha but this isn't bad) ok, so it's fried tofu slabs (like 2inch by 4inch...however the tofu comes in the package). spray a little oil in pan. season the tofu (I do turmeric, salt and red chili powder...sometimes ginger/garlic paste too), and just fry up until a little firm on the outside, but still spongy on the inside. maybe 2 minutes per side. I actually flip 3 times. For extra crunch/protein, pan toast some sesame seeds beforehand and then put those on top of the tofu as you cook. Serve this with toast or veggies.

second thing, overnight oats. um, i think it's like 1cup oats, hmm tablespoon of nuts, oh 1cup of milk, and like tbsp of honey or agave nectar. You can really use whatever you want in it, or actually do the nuts the next morning. Oh yes, so you let the oats soak in the milk overnight actually. I think you use a little less than 1cup of milk, but it's too your preference. The oats do soak it up, so there should be a little extra to cover them.

Sorry my writing is not soo concise tonight. I'm thinking as I type. I'll maybe be more organized next time with my workout/food talk.

ok, really need that shake now. hmmm now I want oats too!!! Sad Neutral
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
March 29th, 2016 at 11:18pm
am I in this alone guys??? It's alright, it's fun!!!

As I said in the WAYT thread, I did level 1 for my second workout (day 3-I'm doing every other day). It felt good! It like stretched some muscles from the other workout, like working opposing muscles. While cooling down and stretching, I watched level 3.

review of level 3

really not too bad (all of the levels have had those "plyometrics jumping jacks. you could just modify or stay with the level 1 or 2 exercises though.) I'd say it's important to do all 3 levels in rotation because the different exercises hit different muscles and also stretch muscles worked the day before.

-this video the kid walks in. I love it! "this is reality folks!"

25min??? shorter or are they all 25min?

Ok, well so here's my plan, gonna alternate between levels 1, 2, and 3 every other day. After the 30days, or whenever I feel ready to "level out", gonna possibly just do 1 or 2 "circuits" (is that what they are called?) every day. So it's like 10-15 minutes every day, instead of 20-30 every OTHER day.

alright, hubby's hovering for the computer so. goodnight! Wink
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
March 31st, 2016 at 05:14pm
I have so been letting myself go the past two weeks and if I don't start getting my shit together soon I'm going to gain back all of my weight.
I hurt my ankle so I'm not sure when I'll be able to start the 30 day shred. I wanted to start it April 1st (tomorrow) but if my ankle is still bothering me then i'm going to wait until it feels better. I don't want to push it and end up with an injury.
I've been eating so much chocolate it's ridiculous. I don't even want to know how many calories I ate on Easter, and you'd think that would be enough chocolate to make me sick of it. Nope. It's still all I want to eat.
Since today is the last day of March I figured tomorrow is a good day to start fresh with eating better. I don't know what my problem is lately but I just can't seem to stick to anything. Sad
beaker;
Ghostbuster Famous
beaker;
March 31st, 2016 at 11:26pm
I know you can do it Hollie. You've done it before, and you've done so well, so I know you can do it again. Just be strict with yourself.
I'm trying to give myself weight/reward goals. like, I can't have pizza until I hit 179. And then that day I'll have pizza and whatever else crap I want. I don't know if that can work for you. I just like to feel like a masochist toward myself and that usually helps.

and on that note, I'm starting to feel that "so close, yet so far" feeling. I over heard someone from class giving his weight, and I realized I'm like, 10 pounds away from that. and then after I reach that, I'll weight less than a taller, more muscular man, and then eventually I'll be a normal weight for a woman. so close... just not there yet
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
April 1st, 2016 at 06:35pm
Hollie, I wouldn't want to push you to do anything you don't feel comfortable with, but you could still maybe do some stuff sitting and or the laying down stuff. I don't know the specifics of your injury, but this is just a suggestion as I used this excuse (and again, if it's swelling and like killer pain then rest) but I used it for too long once and ended up like sortof with atrophy and got really badly out of shape and it was much worse! Even if you don't do this specific workout, I've found chair workouts (as silly as they might look) something to keep you moving while you cant exactly move. No what I mean?

ah becca, I feel ya! I hope I can stay on track this time. I had lost almost 10lbs once, then I somehow gained it all back and then have been fluctuating only a few lbs ever since. (I'd like to think the fat/muscle ratio has been getting better though)...so in that regard, I'm less concerned with weight as I am with measurements, but as I discovered the other day, my measurements are still a little big, so I'm sure I could lose both if I stay on track.

All of that said, I skipped another day yesterday. Had stomach aches this morning, not sure, but I hope to give the workout another go tonight. Will let you know.
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
April 2nd, 2016 at 02:45am
Me again.

I did workout 3! Ok, it is a little more intense than the others. Mostly just that it got my heart going more. The exercises themselves weren't too bad. I really need to get this on dvd though, because the YT version is not actually showing Jillian Michaels but some other viewer. I mean, she does a great job explaining everything. The problem is that some of the exercises get cut out on the recording. So...I had to pause and replay a bit and I'm not sure exactly how much I missed.

Boy, I don't really feel sore at all! (I mean, other than residual from the other days). But, like I said, I could feel the heart rate/circulation increase and I was hot all over by the end. My hamstrings feel tight too.

Alright, that's enough! Hope y'all join me! (it gets better. it gets...funner??? lol more fun)

Oh btw, it's another midnight workout (currently 1:45 rn) ok. g'nite!
vacant alleyWAYS
Salute You in Your Grave
vacant alleyWAYS
April 4th, 2016 at 08:43pm
Me again again!

Didn't do my next workout yet (this would be 4 of day 8?) but I did do a walk/jog for like 20minutes. Might try to do the workout later tonight, but definitely tomorrow if not today. I'm not sore really, well my hamstrings are still somewhat tight, but I feel like pretty great. Just lazy as all hell! (been sucked into the computer Razz)
sad savior;
Wild Eyed Joker
sad savior;
April 5th, 2016 at 03:48pm
I'm glad you've been doing it Carrie! My ankle was worse the last few days, it hurts to put weight on it so I'm still being lazy. I'm going back to the doctor soon hopefully to see if I can be put back on meds for my PCOS. I'm having symptoms I used to have years ago before I was diagnosed including weight gain. But also other things.