Don't have an account? Create one!

Just some honest thoughts...

AuthorMessage
BamBam
Killjoy
BamBam
May 12th, 2015 at 06:59pm
Just some thoughts I felt I needed to throw out there. I am not familiar with forums or threads so please don’t bash me. At about 12 or 13 I became OBSESSED with My Chem. I was CONSUMED. This was brought on by seeing the “I’m Not OK” video. I had never seen a music video that had that type of storyline ever. To be far I wouldn’t say that I was obsessed with music. However, seeing this video for the first time was the beginning of a fascination with this band. I loved everything about them; obviously I thought Gerard was the hottest person on the planet. Frankie was also freaking adorable. Ray was one of the nicest and most genuine rock and roll band members. Bob was hilarious and Mikey was just Mikey. I had all of their merch, action figures, posters, EVERYTHING they produced and sold I had to have. I remember after school I would search for pictures of each band member and save them in specific folders. Each folder had hundreds of pictures. If I found a picture that I didn’t have it was like a present on Christmas. I could relate to them. I was in middle school going through a dark period. I wasn’t depressed or suicidal I was just a tough kid. They were IT for me. I watched hours of interviews. Preordered all of the Black Parade gear. Saw them in concert twice in 2005. I remember the first concert I attended they were about to release The Black Parade record and for some reason “Disenchanted” was released or leaked already. They ended up playing it at that show. I was one of the few there who knew every word and I was SO proud. Their music was the type that made you laugh and cry, like BALLING. However after the roar of The Black Parade ended, I wouldn’t say I lost interest but I was about to go into high school and didn’t have the desire to have an obsession like this. I’m 22 now, a college graduate. I’m ashamed I was embarrassed to talk about them in high school because simply, they were everything. The message of My Chem was to be yourself, not give a fuck and realize that people are fucked up just like you and it’s ok. Somehow someway, I am drawn back to them. I am upset at what I missed; the umbrella academy, world tours, danger days and their breakup. I honestly don’t know how My Chem appeared in my mind again, in my soul. As I did my research of their recent history I discovered a lot. To be frank, I was disappointed with Danger Days. It’s hard to explain, it doesn’t sound like them. Obviously a lot of My Chem and their records has to do with evolving, which I support. I watched an interview of Gerard and he said that he did not see the band going past The Black Parade. I understand why he said that. However, I never thought or wanted them to break up. I probably feel this way because I wasn’t in the loop with Danger Days was released. After listening to bits and pieces of “Hesitant Alien” it was clear to me that during Danger Days Gerard was becoming more independent. They sound very very similar to me.
I knew that they had broken up just through general knowledge. When I read Gerard’s letter regarding the break up. I balled; I cried like a fucking baby. At the end of the letter when he wrote “My Chemical Romance is over, but it will never be dead. It is alive in all of us and you” or something like that, that really got to me. It’s true. Especially in my case. Even when I did not follow them like I did in middle school, their creations clearly stuck with me. As I watched the trailer for their greatest hit collection, I cried. When I heard “Fake Your Death” I also cried like a fucking baby. They were no longer. Yet they are still so influential to me and obviously many others. They truly deserved the attention and devotion that they received. Cryingggg…….Thanks for reading. Would love to hear from some fans my age who had similar experiences.
Laughing
Frnk iero.
Awake and Unafraid
Frnk iero.
May 14th, 2015 at 09:40am
I literally was the exact same when I was 12/13.
I'm now in college, and have moved on (as you have), but the boys still hold that old, nostalgic piece of my heart.

Welcome to the board. Smile
BamBam
Killjoy
BamBam
May 28th, 2015 at 10:42am
Thanks for the comment! Happy to hear that someone feels a similar way. I think I just wasn't ready for them to evolve as drastically as they did from TBP. They still produced some amazing material though Smile