Don't have an account? Create one!

How you discovered mcr! (and is mainstream really that bad!)

AuthorMessage
Morgaine.
Jazz Hands
Morgaine.
April 6th, 2008 at 01:31pm
Googled them after hearing WTTBP and became totally obsessed.....

If they didn't become mainstream they wouldve never reached me in South Africa and life would be grey. Mainstream just means that alot more people love them and that should be a good thing, it means our favourite band gets to go on tour to more places, make more money which enables them to record some more brilliance ....
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
April 6th, 2008 at 01:35pm
cant remember how i first heard them
really got into them and became addicted because of a friend

no i dont thinks its bad. some people say a band has sold out just because their music is main streem and a lot more people like it. i hate it when people say that because there is a good chance(just like mcr!) that the band stayed true to themselves and the message was just something a lot of others could relate to.

i also hate it when people stop liking something just because it has become mainstreem, just because they want to be seen as different or whatever. thats just as fake to me as likeing something simply because it is mainstreem and its not really you.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
April 6th, 2008 at 02:53pm
Very Happy As usual, I'll chime in with my story, and be the only one coming from the comic book aspect:

I picked up the FCBD TUA because I love James Jean. Didn't care about the story, artist, writer, I just wanted it because of the gorgeous cover. The story was awesome, I Googled Gerard thinking I'd find a bunch of comics I'd somehow missed, and was blown away when I found out he was in a band. I downloaded some of their songs and have been a fan ever since.

As for mainstream, eh. I think mainstream differs by where you are. The mainstream here in FL is latin reggaeton, not MCR. When I was in NC recently, the mainstream there was country. I'm fine listening to things that aren't mainstream, in fact, I prefer it.
eslizard
Salute You in Your Grave
eslizard
April 6th, 2008 at 02:56pm
My dad asked me if i had TBP yet, and i had no clue what he was talking about- but in the 6 weeks worth of music that was on one of our harddrives, Revenge was on there, and i fell in love. When my dad found out i had become totally obsessed, he bought me concert tix, and i went to a show after a whole 4 months of liking them

and i dont think that any band going mainstream is bad. afterall, most people that are in bands are in it for the music, but they all want to make it big, to sell out shows and stuff, and when they go mainstream is when that happens.

to me, it seems kinda of pointless to be a fan of the band then drop them when they get big. because honestly, if you were a fan of a band when they were small, you are part of the reason they got big. though it is nice to know a relly good band before anyone else does, its also nice for the band to get the recognition they deserve
eslizard
Salute You in Your Grave
eslizard
April 6th, 2008 at 02:56pm
-double-
melodramatic fool
Salute You in Your Grave
melodramatic fool
April 6th, 2008 at 03:13pm
Becoming mainstream is not selling out. Selling out is changing yourself for money, just because My Chem was finally appreciated and acknowledged by the MTV audience and the general critics. does not in any way mean they changed themselves for that success. They might've progressed and reinvented, but that doesn't define selling out.

One of my friend put all the albums, covers, and live songs on my computer. I immediately went through and deleted all the songs with 'bad words' [XP ah the innocent days]. But then I heard 'The Sharpest Lives' and it just sort've clicked for me. I was ready for that change, it was long coming. My life has sort've been building to the moment when I discovered My Chem. After that,I fell into fangirl status. Good times of course, I slowly [and sadly, imho] became more involved in scene/fandom politics. But it solidified how I felt about them, because defending them and myself from elitists really gave me a protective feel.

Since then, I consider myself a die-hard. For many reason, I may have only come in from Parade, and while grassroots fans are ftw, the time doesn't matter. It's the effect and meaning they have to YOU, no matter how long you've been listening, or what your favorite song is. It's the inspiration, the stories, the lives that they have given us, that, to me, mean everything.
xdemolition-loversx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xdemolition-loversx
April 6th, 2008 at 10:28pm
1. i vaguely remember seeing TTBP on Vh1 in like March but i liked pop music them but then my friends were talking about them and i checked them out but i liked pop music so i thought they were so screamy for me and then i checked them out again maybe in July and i liked the song teenagers and then i started listening to the music videos on youtube because i didn't have money to but their music then. Yeah so i'm a fairly new fan but who cares? i love them just as much as any of you on INO.

2.^ i said it up there, they were too screamy for me because i still liked pop music then

3. well i wouldn't say i'm disappointed because i got into them after they became mainstream so i don't really know hot to answer this question

wonderful questions! they really got me thinking. xD
pye in the sky
Jazz Hands
pye in the sky
April 6th, 2008 at 11:18pm
1) the first time i EVER encounteed the band was when i saw their name on the front of kerrang when bullets was released

2) my first reaction was "i still prefer busted"

3) idk, i mean then going into the mainstream makes it apparent how awesome and succesful they are which is credit to them but i guess one negatiev thing about the mainstrean is that theyvre got a certain path they have to follow now which is gonna restrict them. but ill love them no matter how mainstream they get,they desever success
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
April 7th, 2008 at 12:26am
melodramatic fool:
Becoming mainstream is not selling out. Selling out is changing yourself for money, just because My Chem was finally appreciated and acknowledged by the MTV audience and the general critics. does not in any way mean they changed themselves for that success. They might've progressed and reinvented, but that doesn't define selling out.

Exactly. Just because they've got a little more recognition, it does NOT mean they are sell outs at all! Besides, less recognition = less fans = less people's lives are changed/helped. If bands stay underground forever, how on earth is anyone going to hear and appreciate their music? You think there'd be half the people there are on this site if I'm Not Okay wasn't played everywhere at the time when it came out?

I can't remember WHERE I heard it, but it was Vampires and I was eleven. I didn't even have my own taste in music back then, except for whatever was playing on my mum's radio station at the time. Then I heard INO on XFM radio at like 3 morning and the love was born. It was great. I rest my case.
Rose Tyler
Bleeding on the Floor
Rose Tyler
April 7th, 2008 at 12:42am
hondaveg:

no i dont thinks its bad. some people say a band has sold out just because their music is main streem and a lot more people like it. i hate it when people say that because there is a good chance(just like mcr!) that the band stayed true to themselves and the message was just something a lot of others could relate to.

i also hate it when people stop liking something just because it has become mainstreem, just because they want to be seen as different or whatever. thats just as fake to me as likeing something simply because it is mainstreem and its not really you.

those are my feelings exactly!

My first encounter with MCR was in eighth grade when my best friend was(still is) completely obsessed and tught me songs so we could sing them together in Gym...I was singing INO before I ever heard it. Then when I finally heard them, I fell in love and the rest is history
oh.em.FRIGGING.gee.
Killjoy
oh.em.FRIGGING.gee.
May 1st, 2009 at 02:30pm
in an book called lucky star by cathy cassidy(good book)-the main characters alarm was mcr and I was like thats a sick band name then i got wttbp then teenagers and look at me now!! hehe
Dear Tokyo...
Salute You in Your Grave
Dear Tokyo...
May 1st, 2009 at 02:43pm
One day, my brother and I were sitting down in front of the TV and The Ghost of You came on MTV (or some channel like that). I didn't really think much of it, I was like, I don't know, 10, and he was 11, so we both watched it, thought it was sad, then changed the channel.
Then, about two years later, I was on an online chatroom, talking to a few people and someone posted the video for 'Famous Last Words' in the video section. I watched it and thought it was pretty freaking awesome, so then I looked into the band and thought they were pretty freaking awesome. I was totally hooked by then.
It wasn't until a few months ago that I realized I had seen some of their stuff before I even got into them. Hahaha.
Mousy
Fabulous Killjoy
Mousy
May 1st, 2009 at 02:44pm
I don't think I posted in here (lol i don't remember)
I found MCR when my friend on Youtube had Teenagers as her log video. I watched the vid once and was like "Meh, that was cool." And I didn't listen to it again until a couple months later I heard it on the radio and was like "That sounds fermiler." And that was back when i didn't listen to any music- any song making an impression on me was a big deal. I went back and listened to Teenagers, and all the rest of there singles, bought the albums in reverse order over the next year...
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
May 1st, 2009 at 02:49pm
I saw a video of Gerard talking about his and Franks kiss (Magic! Fireworks!), and then started stalking the MCR thread out of intrest. Then I listened to INO. I fell in love, badda bing, badda boo, got the albums, and now I own the MCR thread on ACC. xD
Mikey_is_the_Way_2go
Joining The Black Parade
Mikey_is_the_Way_2go
May 1st, 2009 at 03:18pm
My friend Kayla came into my Physics class one day and told me to listen to her ipod. At the time "Revenge" had just come out and I wasn't a big fan of them. I listened more to Eminem and shit cuz everyone in my school did, but she made me listen to "Helena" and "Ghost Of You" and I got hooked.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
May 1st, 2009 at 03:21pm
Its weird, as most people got into them through their friends, but my friend got into them through me. xD

And my crush has all the CDs because I am his benafactor. xD
Mikey_is_the_Way_2go
Joining The Black Parade
Mikey_is_the_Way_2go
May 1st, 2009 at 03:27pm
haha^^

well she got me into them then and then when I moved at the end of that school year (2005), i was still more into the rap shit. then in summer 2006 i went to walmart and saw these two girls in a convertable blasting WTTBP and i walked over to them and asked complete stangers who the band was and they said MCR. so i walked into the electronics section and asked the guy at the counter and he gave me the cd to listen too. i ended up buying all 3 cds as well that day, but like you "LetterSeven", for the past 3 years ive gotten so many people into them, cuz i never stop talking about them. haha im crazy like that. also since that day in walmart, i have never listened to a rap song fully through cuz it bores the shit outta me now. haha THANK YOU MCR FOR OPENING MY EYES TO TRUE MUSIC!!!!
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 1st, 2009 at 07:51pm
hmmmm.... i kinda cant remember, it was 4 years ago! lol

i think it was when i wasnt that much into rock and alternative music but i think my friend said she liked them... and i found their video to im not okay on youtube and really liked it... then found Helena, Ghost of you etc and brought their album...Since then rock and alternative is mostly what i listen to! but i still love and listen to every genre of music!

i like them even more there have gone mainstream... but i wouldnt say at all they are a sell out! They havnt changed who there are...
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 1st, 2009 at 08:12pm
oh but also... last year or 2 years ago i think, i didnt really listen to them... i listened to the black parade over and over again lol... but then just got bored...then i randomly found it on my itunes and started listening to it again.. then brought more of their songs... now its basically all i listen to lol!
vampire kitteh :3
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vampire kitteh :3
May 2nd, 2009 at 03:10am
1. so i was bored, looking through my moms cds who knows when... 3, 4 years ago? i don't know... and i came across Revenge.
2. looking though the song titles... ha. "wow these people are... dark... ok then..." *puts cd down without another thought* i was like... 9... lol Razz
3. yeah, it bugs me. but it doesn't change that they are mcr. gerard's said it, right? it just means more people like them, and they're succesful, so it really shouldn't bug me... but it does sometimes :/

i just started liking them a little over a year ago, and i don't even know why or how that came to be...