Don't have an account? Create one!

is mcr going mainstream a good thing?

AuthorMessage
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
March 26th, 2007 at 12:35am
I think mainstream is fine for them, mostly because I trust in them not to lose themselves in it. I have an insane amount of trust in these guys.

For all of those who are complaining about people just liking the singles—I don’t mind that at all. At school, when people mention they like WTTBP, I always find it an opportunity to get them more into MCR, whether or not they listen to rap/pop/hip hop/country, etc. I mean, there are always conversions, and why not let MCR convert non-rock people to rock? What’s wrong with preps or jocks claiming they like WTTBP? It just shows that MCR’s music is good enough to have a diverse group of people like them. And can’t they just say they like MCR and not have to go research every song done by them? It’s like I can said I like Jay-Z and not know all the albums he has out, mostly because I don’t like him enough to know all the albums he has out, etc. I figured it’s the same way to them.

And the big exposure they get is perfect for them: they have a message, they want to spread it and help everyone, and mainstream is the best. To them, the good probably outweighs the bad by factors of million. One interview of the of the guys said that they want to be able to do that, and not cater to a only 100,000+ fans for the sake of being underground, because their message is a lot more than that. And, hell, I completely agree. They are that kind of band.

And I can honestly say that some new fans are way better than old ones. Take a few of my friends, for example, the way they’ve fell in love with MCR really amazes. As far away from ‘teenie’ as can be—just as good as old fans.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 26th, 2007 at 11:41am
It's hard on us fans I think - I try to find humor in it (some of the stuff you guys have said to the teenies have my son and I rolling for hours sometimes.) I know it annoys the guys, and that everyone screaming "sell out" at them all the time is unfair (not to mention the morons who come in here accusing them of same because more people are buying their stuff after two years on the road - DUH!) but I have faith in them that it'll turn out okay.

I'm sad that they have had to become a bit more inaccessible due to the extreme behavior of said teenies, but that will go away someday too. I believe the boys when they tell us they only signed for the exposure to fans, not for anything else. I think they've proven to us all a hundred times over that they're not about the fame.
emergencypatientxx
Fabulous Killjoy
emergencypatientxx
March 26th, 2007 at 11:57am
im like
50/0 about them going mainstream.

Like for my friends they're like
OH ITS GOD AWEFUL! BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH.

Im just like well...its not that bad.
I think this because well we're in the two thousands right?
Its time for something new to go mainstream.
Before it was like
Justin TImberlake
Madonna
Beyonce
But now, when you say mainstream most teenagers think
Three Days Grace
Fall Out Boy
My Chemical Romance
Green Day
All bands that have something to say that can change things.
My chemical romance going mainstream i think can ike a good bad kind of thing.
my frends know who they are now
i also think its kind of cool.
More teenagers get to hear
a voice that has something to say
and will say it whether you like it or not.
A voice that can save.
Now since theyre "mainstream" more people can hear
this voice that people said saved theyre life
(and when i say voice i dont mean just gerard i mean the whole band haha)
but other then that.
I hate that theyre mainstream.
just like for this reason

am in middle school, last year here, and I have a few run ins with the 4th graders and stuff every now and then.
And one god for saken day
I heard a little boy say
"Oh yeah! My mom got me the black parade cd! I love that song teenagers!"
To his friend
and his friend replied
"i think i like mama more..."

You do not know how pissed off I was.
Not only is that like a huge thing for parents
but they got that bad
were a forth grader got theyre cd?!
Yeah mainstream can be cool
and they may love it!
But at that point
I hated it.

so for some people its like
"Thats pretty fancy!"
For i think 70% of the people on INO are like
"kill those god damned teenies"
folkin' around.
Salute You in Your Grave
folkin' around.
March 26th, 2007 at 12:21pm
It's good. Why deprive people of MCR's delicious yummy-ness? Their music is great enough to be spread to the masses.
Synyster Lisa
Demolition Lover
Synyster Lisa
March 26th, 2007 at 12:33pm
In a way it's good they went mainstream...because they are highly popular, and like some of you probably have said, they will stay true to who they are....so eventually they won't go down the drain...

You can hate me for this...but I just don't like the fact that MTV plays them...I don't like MTV (Granted they actually play some music) MTV just is weird.....they "premiered" the "Helena" video about 4 months after it's been out on FUSE (For those who don't know. Fuse is a Music station on digital cable they actually play music and stuff a lot)

I mean yeah I'm glad they're doing good on TRL (Or so I've heard) But MTV just gets on my nerves....it's like an itch tht won't go away to me. MTV just angers me because they don't really give rock music the credit it deserves, they give it too much to rap, and the bubblegum pop crap stuff.....

I guess if MCR wanna do MTV/TRL (I think they were on TRL only once like 2 years ago, I dunno), more power to them, and I'm glad they're as popular as they are, it makes me proud to be a fan of them....
sea king
Always Born a Crime
sea king
April 1st, 2007 at 11:45am
I think it's good & bad:

Good=More people get to experience the masterpiece music from this amazing band.

Bad=Some people will only know about Helena, I'm Not Okay, The Ghost of You, WTTBP, Famous Last Words, and I Don't Love You because they are most frequently played.
[In other words, posers will only like the songs that have been made into singles/music videos.
windinyourhair
Jazz Hands
windinyourhair
May 2nd, 2007 at 12:27am
I think it's a good thing that they're going mainstream, because it'll make more people like them and it will get their message out a lot more. their message is one that is becoming more and more important for people to hear, what with pressures raising, depression rising, people becoming more and more self concious and such. they need to hear MCR's message of getting help when needed, finding healthy ways to let out your depression/whatever. so yeah. I think it's really good that they're going mainstream... although it raises the volume of teenies... Neutral
Dan.
Demolition Lover
Dan.
May 2nd, 2007 at 06:21am
mcr going mainstream is a good and a bad thing at the same time.
by going mainstream they get there message across to alot more people but it is also negative as it brings in "teenies" who only like the band because of how good they look and only know of the singles.
i wouldn't have heard of mcr if i didnt see the video for helena on the tv. i then bought both the albums and have been a fan since
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 2nd, 2007 at 07:35am
a lot of you has said that by MCR going mainstream, more people will hear their message. But the point is, whenever anything goes mainstream, people don't care about 'messages'. You've only got people saying, "oh yeah, I like MCR especially WTTBP but I haven't heard other songs". Whatever message I reckon, gets lost in translation.
xXtRaGIc_AffAiRXx
Jazz Hands
xXtRaGIc_AffAiRXx
May 2nd, 2007 at 07:35am
i think its a good thing, because they want more people to hear their music and like others have said their message, and being more mainstream enables them to do that

but also

it probably wont last for too long cos rock bands seem to go through phases of being more mainstream then going back to just like the rock scene, then maybe being mainstream again if ya get what i mean

so even if people dont think its a good thing its probably not permanent Very Happy
x_pansy
Motor Baby
x_pansy
May 2nd, 2007 at 09:24am
airwave parade:
a lot of you has said that by MCR going mainstream, more people will hear their message. But the point is, whenever anything goes mainstream, people don't care about 'messages'. You've only got people saying, "oh yeah, I like MCR especially WTTBP but I haven't heard other songs". Whatever message I reckon, gets lost in translation.

Exactly. That's my biggest problem with the mainstream thing. MCR is such a special thing to us because of what they are saying and all that, then it gets played a hundred times and it's almost like the song loses meaning. Not because it means nothing to us but because it means nothing to everyone else. I mean regardless of how many times I hear WTTBP on the radio I will still love that song, but I dunno, it just takes something away when your favourite band becomes everyone elses favourite band for the wrong reason. Then you start sinking in with the crowd and it doesn't mean anything to be an MCR fan anymore

That and the fact that it would suck competing with 10000 screaming girls to meet the guys, when all they want to do is to see the oh-so-hot Gerard Way up close
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 2nd, 2007 at 10:14am
According to the book I am reading now, "My So-Called Punk," (every punk icon in the world has been interviewed for this thing and I am satisfied with the author's research on this topic) MCR is NOT mainstream. Neither is FOB or even PATD. Mainstream is still considered to be whatever the corporate powers-that-be deem acceptable for all audiences (i.e. Britney, Beyonce, etc.) Rap, despite its popularity within certain factions, is also not considered mainstream.

The author states that neo-punk (essentially, everyone most of us like now) is simply enjoying a small bit of acceptance (a VERY small bit, in case any of you actually know of a radio station that plays MCR, The Used or FOB more often than they play Coldplay or Five For Fighting. I sure don't) within the MUSIC industry, thanks in no small part to stations like Fuse who took a chance running their vids and covering Warped and TOC. MTV occasionally does the same, but nowhere near as often as they're going to run a Jessica Simpson retro.

The day one of our bands is invited to perform at the Superbowl will be the day said band has finally gone mainstream. I know that some of you in other countries have seen commercials with MCR's music in the background, and that's weird, because there aren't any here in the U.S., so I don't know what that means. Anyone?
RedRiot.
Salute You in Your Grave
RedRiot.
May 2nd, 2007 at 01:43pm
Shizzam!:
I think it's good & bad:

Good=More people get to experience the masterpiece music from this amazing band.

Bad=Some people will only know about Helena, I'm Not Okay, The Ghost of You, WTTBP, Famous Last Words, and I Don't Love You because they are most frequently played.
[In other words, posers will only like the songs that have been made into singles/music videos.

So true, plus we may end up with people liking my chem not for the music but just because they are cute i.e teenies.
Plus it will then be named as a bad that causing or supports unstable young people - daily mail, saying my chem started emo- and then true fans being classed into a certain group. When we know we are not part of that group but the general media and other adults don't know that.
Jeremy DePoyster.
Salute You in Your Grave
Jeremy DePoyster.
May 2nd, 2007 at 03:38pm
I dont think its very good Sad, when i girl in my class put MCR as one of her favourite bands, along with Akon and P Diddy, i was like WTF???

I mean yea alot more people will find there music inspiring, amazing and life changing, but at the same time, your walking down a street, with a chav listing to welcome to the black parade, then changing it 2 some mega shit!!! I just dont get it... It cool that chavs do listen to welcome to the black parade, but when they dont get what the songs about, or understand the song, and u say y u listing to that, they say its cool... I mean yea welcome to the black parade is a FUCKING AMAZING SONG! not just cool!!! then u put cancer on, and there like wtf is this, i might as well go in a coner and slit my wrists, GOD IT GETS ME STRESSED!!! or they might say, wow this band is utally AMAZING, then go nd buy there cd XD

Anyways i dont think MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE are becoming Mainstream, i think its THE BLACK PARADE that is becoming mainstream XDXD
windinyourhair
Jazz Hands
windinyourhair
May 2nd, 2007 at 06:30pm
yeah, I went to a concert on saturday and people didn't know the difference between the black parade and my chemical romance. they kept asking people and other fans were like "are you serious?" it was kind if funny, but at the same time slightly pathetic... I don't see how any true MCR fan could not have figured that concept out yet, especially with the amount of time it's been out already, and amount of times it's been explained. lol
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
May 2nd, 2007 at 07:26pm
I really can give two shits to be quite honest. If they're mainstream, that's great -- I am still going to like them all the same in the end anyway.
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
May 2nd, 2007 at 07:37pm

Exactly. That's my biggest problem with the mainstream thing. MCR is such a special thing to us because of what they are saying and all that, then it gets played a hundred times and it's almost like the song loses meaning. Not because it means nothing to us but because it means nothing to everyone else. I mean regardless of how many times I hear WTTBP on the radio I will still love that song, but I dunno, it just takes something away when your favourite band becomes everyone elses favourite band for the wrong reason. Then you start sinking in with the crowd and it doesn't mean anything to be an MCR fan anymore

That and the fact that it would suck competing with 10000 screaming girls to meet the guys, when all they want to do is to see the oh-so-hot Gerard Way up close
You took the words right out of my mouth..... Shocked
SINATRA
Bleeding on the Floor
SINATRA
May 3rd, 2007 at 04:33am
mollerskates:
Who cares?

my thoughts exactly. if the music is good, why not let a larger audience listen to it and enjoy it as well?
My Sharona.
Bleeding on the Floor
My Sharona.
May 3rd, 2007 at 06:16am
hmm the thing about teenies is that they get over bands really fast. a group of them in my french class, first term theyre in love with mcr, now they love fall out boy because of IOH, and theyre going to have a new fave band in a few weeks. so i think if they stay true to mcr and really love the music, its not that bad. but if its only for gerard's 'hottness', its not good.
patrick wolf
Salute You in Your Grave
patrick wolf
May 4th, 2007 at 07:00am
vamatelf:

You took the words right out of my mouth..... Shocked

o and btw, KILL THE TEENIES!!!!