Don't have an account? Create one!

Public Smoking To Be Banned

AuthorMessage
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 2nd, 2007 at 06:28pm
^ Scientifically speaking, yes, but nobody seems to take into account that a second-hand smoker inhales f***-all smoke compared to a smoker, therefore there's really nothing to make a big deal of.
The only situations where second-hand smoking does have really negative effects, is either a child (or adult non-smoker, like a husband whose wife smokes, which is unusual) raised in a home where parents/siblings smoke inside constantly, therefore their exposure to smoke is very high; or a person working as, say, a barmaid in a pub, where patrons smoke all the time and therefore their exposure to smoke is very high as they're at work every day for several hours, over a period of years. But then, as far as I'm concerned, people who choose to work in that environment have a choice to either put up with it and suffer the consequences, or look for a job in a smoke-free environment, it's that simple - they know the risks of passive smoking, if they still choose to take employment in a smoky bar then that's their own problem and they shouldn't be able to whine about passive smoking - don't like it, get an office or retail job.

You or I going to a nightclub every weekend, or standing near a crowd of smokers at a bus stop, does not have any ill effects, unless perhaps you're an asthmatic and get short of breath or something. You're not going to contract cancer from spending a few minutes ina smoky environment - it takes years upon years of exposure to secondhand smoke to cause problems as severe as that.
followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
July 4th, 2007 at 11:24am
I am made up that the smoking has been banned in public cos when I am walking around town I don't wish to get a mouthful of smoke every now and then!
dom howard.
Banned
dom howard.
July 4th, 2007 at 02:58pm
Mr.Roboto:
lamee lamee lameeee..
smoking in public places should be aloud...
if your out you shouldnt expect to be as comfortable as you are at home..
if you expect that stay home pansy...
<33XD
aussie

So you're calling non smokers "pansy"s? lmfao
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
July 4th, 2007 at 10:35pm
I enjoy my cigarettes.... I'm lucky that no one gets cancer in my family, but still, it's possible.

But I think public smoking should be allowed. I know here in NH we can't smoke inside buildings in which people come in publically, and I think that should be allowed, but I do understand others who don't like it or have problems in which they shouldn't breathe in smoke. I wish restaurants would have two sections separated from eachother, but that'd cost too much money.
stella spotlight!
Joining The Black Parade
stella spotlight!
July 6th, 2007 at 12:42am
I live in New York, and smoking in public places was banned awhile ago here. i can say that I can actually enjoy going to a restaurant or movie theatert without having people lighting up everywhere. Just because some people want to smoke doesn't meaneveryone has to. Secondhand smoke make you cough and feel like shit, man.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
July 6th, 2007 at 12:44am
nerd's are more fun:
I live in New York, and smoking in public places was banned awhile ago here. i can say that I can actually enjoy going to a restaurant or movie theatert without having people lighting up everywhere. Just because some people want to smoke doesn't meaneveryone has to. Secondhand smoke make you cough and feel like shit, man.

It can also give you cancer.
Waitresses are the occupation most likely to get cancer from second-hand smoke.
I think the smoking ban is an extremely good thing.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 6th, 2007 at 12:53am
^ In response to that, well, I just figure that everyone has a choice in life.
Just as some people choose to smoke, others choose not to, and people who choose not to smoke also have the choice not to work in smoky environments.
I mean, anybody with a brain knows that if they chose to seek employment in the hospitality industry, especially as a service person rather than, say, a chef who stays in the kitchen all night, they're going to be exposed to cigarette smoke on a regular basis. And if they don't like that, they should try a different career.
I mean, I could easily get a job at the cyanide-processing plant just outside town, and earn a fantastic paypacket for it. But I choose not to because the thought of working with deadly chemicals concerns me, and even the money doesn't justify me working there, risking my life. So, I look for other job options in less well-paid fields, knowing that at least my health is relatively safe working in a clothing store or being a secretary.

I just don't think hospitality workers etc have a right to bitch about passive smoking - you don't like it, get a different job. Don't force smokers to stay at home for meals just because you're paranoid about getting cancer, which in the end could be the result of something other than your workplace's patrons.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
July 6th, 2007 at 12:57am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
^ In response to that, well, I just figure that everyone has a choice in life.
Just as some people choose to smoke, others choose not to, and people who choose not to smoke also have the choice not to work in smoky environments.
I mean, anybody with a brain knows that if they chose to seek employment in the hospitality industry, especially as a service person rather than, say, a chef who stays in the kitchen all night, they're going to be exposed to cigarette smoke on a regular basis. And if they don't like that, they should try a different career.
I mean, I could easily get a job at the cyanide-processing plant just outside town, and earn a fantastic paypacket for it. But I choose not to because the thought of working with deadly chemicals concerns me, and even the money doesn't justify me working there, risking my life. So, I look for other job options in less well-paid fields, knowing that at least my health is relatively safe working in a clothing store or being a secretary.

I just don't think hospitality workers etc have a right to bitch about passive smoking - you don't like it, get a different job. Don't force smokers to stay at home for meals just because you're paranoid about getting cancer, which in the end could be the result of something other than your workplace's patrons.

There are some people that really don't have options when it comes to work though.
I'm working at a restaurant because I need to go to back to college, but currently can't, and there's no where else in this effing town to work.
In situations like that... do you just shrug and say 'tough luck'?
Then there's mothers that are just trying to make ends meet, high school kids that don't really have much of an option, etc.
Greg Sanders.
Fabulous Killjoy
Greg Sanders.
July 6th, 2007 at 01:53am
it would be so weird to ban it in the us.
maybe i'd actually be able to see the whole vegas valley, instead of 10 feet in front of me.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
July 6th, 2007 at 11:22am
kristenbryar:
it would be so weird to ban it in the us.
maybe i'd actually be able to see the whole vegas valley, instead of 10 feet in front of me.

It is in some states.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 7th, 2007 at 01:22am
I really don't know about the whole thing of banning smoking.
Really, the people who smoke know the risks, and the people that are around them know the risks aswell...

If you are with children, smoking should be banned.

Smoking is banned in texas, and the bars say they're losing business. Because, if you really think about it, lots of people smoke. Some people get really pissed off if you tell them they can't smoke somewhere.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 7th, 2007 at 02:03pm
I still hold that smoking should be banned in public places where children would be around regularly, but restaurants and clubs should have the choice. Family restaurants and places like that would likely choose to be smokeless, and I do think they'd get enough business to survive quite nicely, but a night club or the like whose customers consist of young people, quite a lot of whom smoke, should be allowed to have smoking indoors. Young children are not and should not be in places like that, and people who work there could choose to work in smoke-free establishments. I think it's stupidly hypocritical of the government to ban people's personal habits when every day we're breathing in smog from cars that could be made electric or hybrid.
Bambi
Killjoy
Bambi
July 9th, 2007 at 01:22pm
its okay to ban smoking in restaurants, im a smoker too but it kinda sucks if u have to eat and somenone is blowing smoke into your meal... but things like that should be the decision of the owner of the restaurant...
in my opinion, we live in a country (or world if u want) where as longer as more things have to be regulated by government, wich is, in mine opinion, not only suckish but also dangerous... nowadays the smoker are the ones that are blamed for whatever, tomorrow it will be the fat people, then the old ppl, then the ppl who drive a car, then the ppl who uses the internet more than 10h per week and so on... and in the end, we live in a pretty lil world where other ppl tells us all the time what we have to do and what not...
i think the indivdual should be given more responsibility, we dont need laws and rules for everything...

(btw: i dunno, but in some kind of way we are allready a society where some ppl tells what to do and most ppl are doing it whitout questioning.. the media tells us what to do, we follow!)
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 10th, 2007 at 12:20am
THis is lame.

My friend did a documentry on this

He talked to teh mayor of Chicago

"Sir, you stated that Smokers must be at least 10 feet from a public building to smoke right"

"Yes"

"Are you aware that 10 feet away is in the street?"

XD

They should make smoking and non smoking bars, because this whole ban sure ruins it for those who love to smoke. I am a musician myself (therefore I had to quit), but many of my friends really got emotional about this ban.
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
Killjoy
xXDrop.The.DaggerXx
July 10th, 2007 at 11:52am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
^ Scientifically speaking, yes, but nobody seems to take into account that a second-hand smoker inhales f***-all smoke compared to a smoker, therefore there's really nothing to make a big deal of.
The only situations where second-hand smoking does have really negative effects, is either a child (or adult non-smoker, like a husband whose wife smokes, which is unusual) raised in a home where parents/siblings smoke inside constantly, therefore their exposure to smoke is very high; or a person working as, say, a barmaid in a pub, where patrons smoke all the time and therefore their exposure to smoke is very high as they're at work every day for several hours, over a period of years. But then, as far as I'm concerned, people who choose to work in that environment have a choice to either put up with it and suffer the consequences, or look for a job in a smoke-free environment, it's that simple - they know the risks of passive smoking, if they still choose to take employment in a smoky bar then that's their own problem and they shouldn't be able to whine about passive smoking - don't like it, get an office or retail job.

You or I going to a nightclub every weekend, or standing near a crowd of smokers at a bus stop, does not have any ill effects, unless perhaps you're an asthmatic and get short of breath or something. You're not going to contract cancer from spending a few minutes ina smoky environment - it takes years upon years of exposure to secondhand smoke to cause problems as severe as that.

A valid point. Perhaps my opinion on this one is strongly effected by family history, and my own allergies to some of the chemicals in cigarrettes that in my case have the potential to cause a fatal reaction with even the tiniest bit. I just think it feels good to be able to eat at a restaurant like the IHOP down my street, something I haven't been able to do in a long time, at least not without taking along a mask.

And yes, for those that have asked, I am aware that I seem to have a lot of health issues. My own doctor calls me the walking health problem. Blame it on the inbreeding in my father's family. Disgust
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 11th, 2007 at 03:42am
^ Slightly irrelevant, but my husband and I were actually having a pretty in-depth discussion last night about allergies and ill health and why so many kids these days are allergic to everything.
This was after watching a segment on a current affairs program about a woman who developed her own line of this-free and that-free foods because her daughter is allergic to (get this): dairy, eggs, nuts, wheat, blueberries, sugar, lactose intolerant, red meat, shellfish, latex (which sucks, no protected sex for her when she grows up!), there were literally about fifteen things she's allergic to, I can't remember them all...
But we suddenly realised that nearly everyone we know who has allergies or problems like psoriasis etc, were born to parents in their late 30's to 40's. And another thing we noticed was that, by looking at these parents who have children with severe or multiple allergies, they all look slightly inbred... Maybe there's a link there? I mean, not only to the possibility of inbreeding somewhere along the line, but to the fact that as you get older, your genes mutate and that could lead to severe or multiple allergies in children if you have them late in life? Because yeah, allergies have been around forever, but it's only been the last fifteen or twenty years, as couples are putting off having babies until their late 30's or 40's, that these huge problems are becoming prevalent in society. I mean, when I was in primary school, we could all bring whatever food we wanted for lunches - now most schools have bans on nut products and things like that for fear of some kid with an allergy touching it or inhaling peanut butter fumes off another kid's sandwich and going into anaphylactic shock.
Anyway, I know that had nothing to do with anything really, just when you mention you're allergic to chemicals in cigarette smoke and have a few other health problems, I wondered if your parents were pretty old... I mean, my mum and dad were 26 and 27 respectively when I was born and I have absolutely zero health problems apart from scholiosis (curvature of the spine) inherited from my dad, that's it. No allergies, no health problems (well, nothing until I got pregnant but that's just part and parcel of having babies)...
Just a thought I'm going to be pondering for a while Smile
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
July 11th, 2007 at 03:53am
sucks to be in britian.

the only thing that sucks about NJ is that they raised the tobacco age to 19. honestly who cares? let a 16 year old buy the shits and let them learn for themselves.
FuckinDinoRawr
Banned
FuckinDinoRawr
July 13th, 2007 at 04:28pm
It's good that they're starting to ban smoking in public.
Usually, there are young kids around breathing in the smoke and second hand smoke is more of a risk then smoking itself. I don't think it's a good idea to stop it all together, let some people try to get off it smoking on their own, forcing them to stop will only lead to illegal smoking because of more stress and frustrtation.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 13th, 2007 at 07:59pm
FuckinDinoRawr:

Usually, there are young kids around breathing in the smoke and second hand smoke is more of a risk then smoking itself.
Actually, my mom smokes and when I was little she used to be very careful about it, getting outside and not letting me go.
Never smoking unless she really, really needed to.
So, really, I have no problem with someone smoking unless they don't know what it will do to them, cancer and everything.

But I hate how the health teachers come into the science classrooms and show us pictures of a diseased lung and tell us that's what's going to happen if we smoke or have friends that smoke.

It's ridiculous, there's a chance we can get lung cancer and everything...
but it's not 100%. And having friends that smoke isn't a problem.

You can just stay away from them while they're smoking.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 14th, 2007 at 03:28am
FuckinDinoRawr:
It's good that they're starting to ban smoking in public.
Usually, there are young kids around breathing in the smoke and second hand smoke is more of a risk then smoking itself. I don't think it's a good idea to stop it all together, let some people try to get off it smoking on their own, forcing them to stop will only lead to illegal smoking because of more stress and frustrtation.

Banning smoking in public just forces parents who won't quit to smoke at home around their kids.
Smoking in an open area around children won't hurt them - only chronic exposure to second-hand smoke in an enclosed space will (like when parents smoke excessively at home). So unless I'm underestimating the number of small children hanging around bars and nightclubs, the smoking ban actually hurts children more than helps.