Don't have an account? Create one!

Torture and interrogation

AuthorMessage
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 21st, 2007 at 12:25pm
Torture is inhumane, an act that causes maiming to the body and mind. At the same time, it can help obtain important information from a stubborn tight lipped informant. The issues of humane actions dictated by the Genevea and Hague convention states that torture is illegal. Many forms take place, from mental(sleep deprivation), to physical(beatings), to psychological(watching others going through torture), to spiritual(burning of a bible or Koran). If let's say there was a report on a possible terrorist attack, and we had one of the terrorists in custody....how far should we go to obtain the necessary info?
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
March 22nd, 2007 at 01:34am
Torture:
any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity.
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 22nd, 2007 at 08:42am
Okay that is a more politicaly correct definition of torture. But should it be necessary?
IXPROMISE
Jazz Hands
IXPROMISE
March 23rd, 2007 at 04:45pm
Infliction of severe physical pain as a means of punishment or coercion.
An instrument or a method for inflicting such pain.
Excruciating physical or mental pain; agony: the torture of waiting in suspense.
Something causing severe pain or anguish.
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 23rd, 2007 at 05:02pm
okay okay ppl! i'm sure we all get the idea of what "torture" is by now! I want your opinions on wether or not it should be used for extraction of intricate information during interrogations! so please stop posting your definitions!!!!
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
March 24th, 2007 at 11:15am
Just a question saw the movie "Hostel"? If that's anything nearly as bad as and interigation is here then I think we don't need it. Yes it can make progress, but my gosh. That suspect has humane rights too.
xodemolition-loverox
Killjoy
xodemolition-loverox
March 24th, 2007 at 11:17am
no i do not beleive in torture it is bad ,even to get valid information
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 25th, 2007 at 12:30am
I agree that torture is bad when it is used for the simple reason of inflcting unecessary harm upon someone just for a sadistic means. But let's say that a sick pedophile serial killer/rapist has kidnapped a close relative...or someone important to you, and they refuse to give any info from normal verbal interrogation, how far should it go to get the needed info to save that person's life? I mean, do we just beat around the bush "Humanelyl" until the victim dies from exposure/starvation/suffocation? What if a terrorist has planted an explosive somewhere in the USA, and it will go off at a certain time (reference the zodiac) and the suspect is captured. A million lives are at stake..women, children, the elderly. the suspect refuses negotiations, oral interrogations, threats, pleas. what do do next? what would you do?
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
March 25th, 2007 at 01:37pm
When police/army use it just for a means of entertainment, it's bad. Nobody should have to go through that if they are POWs, they should stick to interrogation, not tortutre just to pass the time.
In S.S. we did a thing with Guantanmo Bay, and how the president knows what is going on, but chooses not to do anything about it. Torture in the U.S. is illegal, but since Guantanamo Bay is in Cuba. . . Well, they prefer torture, I guess we can leave it at that. I, however, think it is wrong, and that they should not torture people to get information, or just for 'fun'.
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 26th, 2007 at 01:00pm
I agree, teh atrocities at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib are inexcusable. But there are also other "interrogation" operations being conducted secretly, in secret locations that are unknown. But aside from sadism, I feel that torture should be reserved for very dire means that could save a large number of innocent lives. Sometimes one has to break a few eggs to make an omolet (sp?)
EMO_TEDDY
Jazz Hands
EMO_TEDDY
April 5th, 2007 at 08:30pm
ok well if u think tortouring people is wrong in interigation then u are just silly because i dunno say there werebombs in lots of places ready to go off due to terroism an the only way to get the info in time is to hurt them do u think it is exceptable then..................i think its fun its the kind of person i am haha yes im sick minded i know but hey there ya go
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
April 10th, 2007 at 09:45am
true, causing pain and torment could have the person surrender information. but who is to say that that information obtained ins accurate,let alone true? what if they were in so much pain, they only blurted out what the interrogators wanted to hear? then torture would be a pointless waste of time. just consider those into the equation.
sass attack.
Demolition Lover
sass attack.
April 10th, 2007 at 12:02pm
Muted Scream:
I agree, teh atrocities at Guantanamo Bay and Abu Ghraib are inexcusable. But there are also other "interrogation" operations being conducted secretly, in secret locations that are unknown. But aside from sadism, I feel that torture should be reserved for very dire means that could save a large number of innocent lives. Sometimes one has to break a few eggs to make an omolet (sp?)

I completely agree.
So long as the information obtained were the vital key to saving people's lives. . . it might be okay.

But there is the fact that these people have rights too.
To torture someone like they are an animal is wrong, no person should be subjected to something like that.
It is a fate worse than death because the pain keeps coming and it never stops until they get what they want.
fallout vapor
Jazz Hands
fallout vapor
April 10th, 2007 at 12:34pm
I'm sure there's a better way for getting very important information. Most people don't actually train themselves to trick lie detectors. I'll bet the governments already have better ways of getting someone to tell the truth, injections that numb your brain so that you answer automatically, or something similar. A commonplace kidnapper wouldn't be trained to resist that sort of stuff, and if the person was working for some top-secret assosciation, well, they wouldn't be getting tortured anyways, they'd have proper protection.

But I think there's an even worse affect on the person who's torturing someone else- I mean, to torture someone, you have to be extremely brutal...like a maniac. Who knows what those kind of people will do? Having to torture another human probably ruins their lives, completely.
Disturbia
Salute You in Your Grave
Disturbia
April 10th, 2007 at 05:36pm
I did a 30 page project on 'amnesty' wich is an organization for the declaration of human rights, using letter campaigns they can often free people that are tortured and imprisoned for hardly anything.. It was sad to do the project cos we had to watch a video and this dude got electrecuted on the eletric chair some place in amaerica Sad
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
April 11th, 2007 at 12:50am
Sodium penethol is the "truth Serum". but using it is just as much of a travesty on human rights as torture. it may be more humane than torture, but it still tramples on the human rights by the fact that you would hold down a human being, and administer a drug into their systems that alters their mental awareness. sure it's more humane, but it's still a crime in some books. lie detectors aren't very accurate, and if teh person is uncooperative, that makes things even more harder.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 17th, 2007 at 05:02pm
i think it should be used in like terrorism and stuff

but thats it

when other peoples lives are at risk again from like terrorist attacks then it shoudld be used

but thats just my opinion
ilovegerardway2much
Jazz Hands
ilovegerardway2much
May 22nd, 2007 at 09:09pm
no1 deserves2 be tortured. end of discussion
fxmous-lxst-words
Joining The Black Parade
fxmous-lxst-words
May 25th, 2007 at 11:28am
i agree w/ ilovegerardway2much, no one deserves that...if someone did something bad, they did something bad. doesn't mean they're a horrible person.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
May 31st, 2007 at 11:13pm
The reason we fought Communist countries was because of the fact that they tortured war prisoners. If you positively know that there's no other choice, and lives are at stake, then maybe.
The torture at Guantanamo Bay and other places are enexcusable. Most of them are probably not terrorists. With the Patriot Act, the President can decide if a person is classified as a "terrorist" they can be put somewhere with no bail or trial. It's rediculous and extremely illegal. Basically, he made it posible to racially profile people and put them in jail for no reason.