AuthorMessage
Arithmetic Doll
Salute You in Your Grave
Arithmetic Doll
December 14th, 2007 at 02:19am
My Chemical Romance ‘parades’ to Manila
spacer

Kaye Villagomez

Manila has definitely become a world tour destination for foreign major music superstars.

After successful conquests from Christina Aguillera, Akon, Vertical Horizon, Fallout Boy and Beyonce, the post hardcore My Chemical Romance becomes the first to rock the local concert scene in 2008.

The band who broke into mainstream music consciousness via the monster hit "Helena" will perform at the Fort Bonifacio Open Field on Jan. 25 via Viva Concerts in a concert billed as "The Black Parade World Tour," titled culled from the band’s latest successful record output.

My Chemical Romance is an American rock group formed in 2001 after frontman Gerard Way and ex-drummer Matt Pelissier passionately assembled the group one week post-September 11 catastrophe.

The attack that claimed thousands of lives and wounded millions of souls all over the world brought about the birth of MCR via the song "Skylines and Turnstiles," which Way wrote intentionally to essay his 9/11 frustrations.

Later, Ray Toro was asked to join the band because at the time Way couldn’t sing and play the guitar at the same time. The fourth member’s slot was collected by Way’s younger brother Mikey Way, who loved the demo so much he dropped out of college to learn and eventually romance the bass.

Today’s MRC lineup is frontman and lead vocalist Gerard Way, lead guitarist Ray Toro, rhythm guitarist Frank Iero, bassist Mikey Way, and drummer/percussionist Bob Bryar. Matt Pelisier left the group in the middle of its Japan tour.

Mainstream breakthrough became apparent for MCR in 2003 following a deal with Reprise Records. The group thereafter rolled to a tour with Avenged Sevenfold and then worked on the album "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge." Released in 2004, the CD enlisted singles "I’m Not Okay (I Promise)," "Helena" and "The Ghost of You."

First stop: Manila

My Chemical Romance’s "The Black Parade" tour will definitely be one major league deal for the group’s Filipino fans considering that Manila will be the first stop of a 60-city conquest around the world.

The band, which has now evolved into a more reality-grounded audio and vision sans the horror-fantasy face, critics predicted that there will be more to MCR than what they have given the music world so far. Admitting that they are over-the-top and meaning it, the frontman said, "I feel like we as a band have a very clear, direct purpose and a direct mission now, which we didn’t have before. We may be over the top, but it isn’t about arrogance, it’s about confidence and believing that you have the power to make a difference if you have the guts to try."

In 2006, MRC collaborated with Green Day’s producer Rob Cavallo in a CD initially titled "The Rise and Fall of My Chemical Romance." However, in an interview with Kerrang! magazine, Gerard Way stated that this was just the album’s working title, "It was never the title of the album, more a spoof, or joke."

The album then released two singles with music videos "Welcome To The Black Parade" and "Famous Last Words," to be released on January 22, 2007.

According to web links, "announcement of The Black Parade at London Hammersmith Palais. A biography titled ‘Something Incredible This Way Comes’ was released, written by Paul Stenning (Published in 2006). It features their beginnings, right through to ‘The Black Parade.’ On August 22, 2006, the band played a special one-off show at the 1,800-capacity London Hammersmith Palais."

Unexpectedly, the show sold out tickets in 15 minutes. Though the album’s name remained undiclosed, the music they promoted had 20 people dressed in black capes with their faces obscured paraded around Hammersmith, followed by a large group of fans and street team members with signs of "The Black Parade." Thus, the title and the world tour name. As expected, the single "Welcome To The Black Parade" scored a No. 1 on MYX and No. 17 on Rolling Stone magazine’s Best Songs of 2006.

For "The Black Parade," MCR did precisely as promised: Shades of The Beatles’ "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band" and Queen’s "A Night At The Opera," without letting these big-named band and equally big albums eclipse MCR’s musical vision.

Mikey disclosed, "While we were working on this record, every emotion, good and bad, poured out of us, shaping the songs. It was a really intense period and we had the most incredible time. Sometimes it was amazing and fun and sometimes it was really hard, but it was always incredible."

Toro added, "Creating this album brought some new things to the table. Most of our old songs are either mach-speed or have a slower tempo. With this album we experimented with different tempos and different feelings while working as hard as we could to make the most musically of every single note."

Exuding cathartic rock poetry, MCR’s lyrics have been recognized with individual relatable and mirrored emotions. "The album tells the story of a young man, referred to as The Patient, who is dying in a hospital bed. The strongest memory from his youth is when his father took him to see a parade when he was a child, so when death comes for him, it is in the form of a Black Parade. The Patient encounters various characters leading him toward his final resting place, aiding him in the reexamination of his existence while teaching him about theirs-thereby giving The Patient new insights about the beauty of both life and death."

Of the songs, Mikey detailed, "We came up with two types of songs. One set were these fast-driving songs with catchy melodies that were good, but they didn’t really seem special. And the others were theatrical and smart and really told us what the record wanted to be."

"It’s a great feeling to be in a band that has constantly evolved and continues to grow. We always give each other the encouragement, drive and space to be as creatively free as possible at any given moment," Bob Bryar affirmed.

from the Manila Bulletin Online

THEY ARE COMING...SAVE NA KAYO
keeping the faith
Always Born a Crime
keeping the faith
December 14th, 2007 at 03:39am
i know.
x_x
and i intend to watch no matter what cost
i don't care
i need to see them live
[this is lorilee btw (faded photographs) nakikigamit lang ng account sa aking sister]
Arithmetic Doll
Salute You in Your Grave
Arithmetic Doll
December 14th, 2007 at 04:29am
......PLEASE DON'T BE EXPENSIVE
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 05:05am
yeah, actually kahapon pa ako excited...as soon as maayos na phone namin magapareserve na ako! XD
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
December 14th, 2007 at 05:11am
magpapareserve na ako kaso I don't know the contact details =|
and di ako rue kung anong seats and kung ilan ipapareserve ko
haiz. Sad
wala pa me money! ><
DylanLee-Way
Fabulous Killjoy
DylanLee-Way
December 14th, 2007 at 05:27am
ang galing ng hula ko.....
sabi na sa fort open field eh!
hehehehe.......
i'm sure Ph10,000 ang VIP, tapos ang pinakadulo ay 1,000 or 3,000....
so costly, man!

pero i'll save for it!!!!
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 05:31am
^ nope, 3,750 front row... wala pang price for gen admission
keeping the faith
Always Born a Crime
keeping the faith
December 14th, 2007 at 05:35am
ito sabi ni faded photographs[tumawag kasi sya sa ticket world.]

P3750
P2500
P400
tpos pag bumili daw ng apat may 4% off.
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 05:41am
^ walang discount kahit 2 lang?
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
December 14th, 2007 at 05:44am
sino sa inyo kukuha nung front row? I might get cguro mga P2500 lang or mas mura pa dun
except na lang kung marami magbibigay sa kin ng cash sa bday ko and sa xmas lmfao
haiz.
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 05:49am
ME! and my best friend...yep we're gonna get two front row tix Smile
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
December 14th, 2007 at 05:51am
^ wow swerte (:
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 05:54am
dude, mcr yun....gotta take advantage of their stay here. my friend is hoping for a meet and greet session with the band...omg sana nga mameet namin sila *crosses fingers*
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
December 14th, 2007 at 06:07am
^ me too Sad
haiz pero aus lang din kung hindi. lalo na pag di talaga kaya ng bulsa. wag na lang.
kung kaya, why not? pero di ko pagpipilitan xDD ahaha
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 06:09am
aww...400 is not bad? gosh i can't bear to miss mcr's show...parang you'll miss half of your life. anyway, that will be my 2nd memorable concert evarr XD
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
December 14th, 2007 at 06:11am
yup, nah I meant... to meet them xDD
sana makuha ko ung P2500

kung magpapareserve ba, kelan magbabayad? (gosh sorry wala akong alam sa ganyan ahehe)
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 06:12am
ako...magbabayad kami asap. eh kaso wala pa kaming reservation eh
keeping the faith
Always Born a Crime
keeping the faith
December 14th, 2007 at 06:14am
whatsername_Kat:
^ walang discount kahit 2 lang?

apat daw sabi nung babae
hehe
bukas daw yata ung bilihan ng tickets.
Ken Hidaka
Salute You in Your Grave
Ken Hidaka
December 14th, 2007 at 06:16am
^ oh okay..damn..gotta call ticketworld!
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
December 14th, 2007 at 06:18am
sana di kelangan magbayad kagad. kasi kaya ko pa namang magipon hanggang january ng P3000+ e. ayoko lang talagang maubusan kea magpapareserve na kagad. gahhh.