Don't have an account? Create one!

Censorship on television.

AuthorMessage
whitney.
Shotgun Sinner
whitney.
November 17th, 2006 at 11:57pm
I think cencoring is practically seperating us from the real world.
When they bleep out things, they make me feel like "Well, I guess they don't want me to experience the real world, and in the real world, everyone swears." It's only natural. Cept all the excessively religious people.
XxMeAnt-4-tHeFliEsxX
Joining The Black Parade
XxMeAnt-4-tHeFliEsxX
November 19th, 2006 at 05:47pm
i agree.. censcoring is seperating us from the real world. and from reality..
I don't think they should censcor anything. If the kids were brought up right they would know not to do stupid things...

::JuDy Vengeance::
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
November 19th, 2006 at 06:21pm
XxMeAnt-4-tHeFliEsxX:
If the kids were brought up right they would know not to do stupid things...

::JuDy Vengeance::

While that is true, younger children are still learning the difference between right and wrong.
And who's to decide what is stupid and what is not stupid?
Or what's right and wrong?
Its really just personal preference.

---
I stick by my opinion.
It should be the choice of the television owner what to and what not to censor.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 19th, 2006 at 07:18pm
Censorship does not shield us from the real world, or skew our perception of it. If anything, it makes us form conclusions on our own and look harder at what is around us.

The news is uncensored, and it gives the viewers the perception that the real world is a horrible, violent place where victims of violent crimes and murder don't know their killers, and that everyone is at risk of heinous random crimes. In actuality, crimes where the victim doesn't know the perpetrator are rare, disasters and accidental deaths are fairly rare, and people are a lot safer than what the television or news would have you believe.

The real world isn't behind the television screen; it's outside your door. Turn off the tv, look around, and you will see the real world.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 19th, 2006 at 07:48pm
oh ruby sorry but you make me laugh
the news uncensored give me a break
they are definently choosing what stories they carry on the news
if you dont think the news is censored do me a favor go and watch the news on several different channels then see the same stories on the net and see how different people report the same stories and try telling me they dont censor things and put a political spin on everything they show us on the news
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 20th, 2006 at 12:25am
^That is not censorship. That is smart planning. Censorship is not allowing certain content to air, or editing the program to contain less offensive material. The news chooses which stories to air alright, but they don't do so because of censorship.

Purposeful programming, making the news more interesting to watch, makes the viewers want to watch. Violence and sex sells better than Human Interest stories, so there are more stories on violence and sex. It is scripting, not censorship.

I believe the news should be censored. I think that the only violent stories that should be on the news are the ones who effect the people. Not everyone needs to see the story about the man who killed his wife, child, then himself. There is no threat to the public, no real relevance, and it is just a filler story, a prop to gain ratings and more viewers.

If it doesn't concern the people or the public, and there is no threat, then it shouldn't be on the news. The news is overglorifying murders, rapes and hate crimes, when quite a lit of the time, the victim is already dead or getting better and the perpetrator is in jail or dead themselves.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 21st, 2006 at 08:17pm
ok ill use an example of how the news is biased and runs to a political agenda shall i?

my parents are teachers and whenever teachers here conduct industrail action toget better conditions some of the tv stations give them so much shit where others have a different view on it and half the time they dont even report all teh facts or even most of them

generally the news puts horrible stories up to scare us look at the fact that reporting of violent crimes has jumped so much recently and the fear of them is so much more when the crimes themself are not becoming more frequent at all its just we hear about it all the time
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 21st, 2006 at 09:20pm
That is not censorship though. I've already made it abundantly clear that what you are speaking of is programming.

The people in charge of the stations meet and ask one another "What do the people want to see? What will make them watch? How can we present it in a way as to keep them watching?"

This is why the big stories are interspersed through the time the news airs, often with the biggest story at or near the end. So that people have to watch the whole program to see the news they want to see.

The news is Biased. Yes. The news depicts an unreal raise in violent and dissassociated crime. Yes.

However, the news is not censored. Not largely, anyhow.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 22nd, 2006 at 02:30am
it essentially is censorship i think tho the way they change their programming to suit their advertising budgets in keeping people scared
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 22nd, 2006 at 02:45am
Taken from the Oxford Desk Dictionary and Thesaurus.

Censor - n. Person who examines printed matter, movies, news etc to SUPRESS ANY PARTS ON THE GROUNDS OF OBSCENITY, SECURITY, etc.

Programming and censorship are two totally different things.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 22nd, 2006 at 02:56am
its bowing to political pressure from their advertising and being selective in what they broadcast

sounds like censorship to me
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 22nd, 2006 at 03:00am
This is the last time I'm going to say it Simon.

It is programming to better ratings. Censorship is telling them what they cannot air, or cannot touch, politically or legally. Different ballgames. Ok?

Now can we please actually go back to talking about censorship itself, so I can stop finding new ways to explain the same damn thing to you?
-------------
Censorship on television and in the media is fairly light, and usually, for the benefit of the people. Personally, I believe that the media could stand to see more censorship.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 22nd, 2006 at 03:33am
so explain to me why we're allowed to see hardcore violence on tv and not sex? why is violence allowable but sex isnt what is more damaging to a child to see?
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 22nd, 2006 at 04:08pm
^That depends on your own personal views and beliefs. I don't think either is more damaging than the other.

The programs that have violence, sex, graphic scenes and/or profanity are either censored (bleeped out or have scenes cut out) or they air a warning when the program returns from commercials.

Surely you have seen;
"This program may contain scenes of violence, sexuality, coarse language and mature content. Viewer discretion is advised."
when watching a program on TV before. The networks can get around censorship by adding these warnings, with the theory that anyone who is not supposed to be watching or can easily be offended will change the channel.

It keeps them square with the censors, and lets them air what they please.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 23rd, 2006 at 12:56am
look at all the violent crimes getting reported on the news nightly tho surely thats more harmful to young and impressionable kids
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
November 23rd, 2006 at 01:36am
^And how does that fit in with what we were just talking about? Could you try to be more clear please? I read your posts here in the DB and they confuse me; I often have no idea what you are saying or where you are going with your point, and have to interpret them as best I can. Then you get annoyed because you are being misunderstood.

The news is rarely if ever censored, due to the freedom of information act.
Thursday's Child
Bleeding on the Floor
Thursday's Child
December 4th, 2006 at 03:31pm
I agree, anyone can turn on the news and see the murders and abductions and the horrible things going on across the world, uncensored.

but the news also forwards our intelligent thinking, doesn't it?

So wouldn't that hold true to regular television shows.
If there was no censorship, then shows getting to say what they actually want to and maybe passing along a message.
And sure, there would be that occassional show that would go over the top.
But truthfully, I think fear factor can be a little ridiculous, but it's one of the most watched reality shows, isn't it? They eat cow eyeballs.

And if the show got really over the top with violence and sex, then turn off the television.

They'd probably lose viewers any way because of simply that. Most shows know already that most of America doesn't want to see certain images. They're smart in knowing what their audience wants.

I just think a lot more thought prevoking, intelligent issues and shows could come out more if there was no censorship.

and besides, that little bleep that they do when ever someone swears is very annoying.
If anything, it draws more attention to the situation than if they would of actually let him/her say itt.
Bullet.
Salute You in Your Grave
Bullet.
December 4th, 2006 at 03:43pm
I think its stupid.
If someone see's a cartoon cat smoking && then thinks im gunna start smoking to they must be a bit of an idiot.
There are so many other things to worry about.
Why waste our time thinking whether or not to censor a somking cat?
Thursday's Child
Bleeding on the Floor
Thursday's Child
December 4th, 2006 at 03:49pm
I guess to play the devil's advocate with that one,
This parent once said at a protest against marilyn manson after the columbine shootings (cause they thought his music caused it)
"Not everyone goes and buys a Lexis after seeing a Lexis ad. But a few people do."

Now, I'm not saying I agree.
but some kids could start smoking after that cartoon, what do you say to that, besides them being idiots? (which is partially true)
keleigh/vampiress
Bleeding on the Floor
keleigh/vampiress
December 4th, 2006 at 10:24pm
Me, personally, think that most censorship is wrong. If the show shows a teenager blowing someone's brains out, than it should censor that part, not the whole episode. If it like a drama or a soap, it can actually show you some of the consequences if you do certain things, both the good, and the bad. I actually think that ratings and V-Chips are more effective than censorship.