Don't have an account? Create one!

School Budget Cuts

AuthorMessage
Optimistic Pessimist
Motor Baby
Optimistic Pessimist
April 3rd, 2007 at 01:30pm
So many schools, including mine, get so many things taken away because of the school's budget cuts. Apparently, the state finds some things wrong with the system. Some of the things that usually get taken away are sports, electives, Drivers Ed, and etc. A lot of teachers are even getting fired because of it. But sports marketing adn photography

Are any of your schools getting their budget cut?

What do you think about budget cuts and why they happen?

Do you think that unneccesary things are cut and that neccesary things are kept because of them?
(Example: Keeping a Sports Marketing Class but getting rid a of Photography Class)

Do you think that even though the budget cuts are because the state doesn't approve of the system the school has that it is only going to hold kids back from getting the education they need and deserve to get into college and lead a good life?

Do you think petitions that are put together could possibly do something to stop the state from taking away such things as electives and Drivers Ed.?
Dead Guardian Angel
Jazz Hands
Dead Guardian Angel
April 3rd, 2007 at 05:39pm
My school's budget has been cut. They cut pretty much everything. Art gets no funding (in Drama last year, we had to return the stuff we used for the show.), and all electives have been cut, meaning we can't choose ANY of our classes.

In my school, choices are cut. And for a lot of other schools it may be the same. Since we're at an age where a lot of kids might make bad choices, they take those choices away, and budget cuts are just helping them do it. Now, they may try to save money, but still. They just don't make good choices at cuts.

As for the whole petition thing, it depends. If something is cut for a reason (such as, I don't know, separate art clubs and they have to be put together now) then we don't really have anything to protest. But if something is cut for no reason or an ignorant reason (such as a principal cutting out all art programs to make money for sports programs. Or a cut for a racial reason.) Then we have a right to petition. So by all means, go right ahead...

*Sakura-chan*
Quinnmobile.
Jazz Hands
Quinnmobile.
April 3rd, 2007 at 09:12pm
Everything in my school budget has been cut.

Actually all of the Catholic School board in the GTA [greater Toronto Area] has been cut.

My school can barely afford instruments for music classes.

Its quite sad actually.

They don't aprove many clubs anymore because of money issues, and the board only aproves basics.

We still have electives, thank GOD.

Even Sports funding has been pretty much dropped.

All of our sports equipment is like 30 years old.

Our school board is majorly in debt, so that may cause conflicts in schools and their funding.
MADIS0N.
Motor Baby
MADIS0N.
April 3rd, 2007 at 10:35pm
Many schools must carry out budget cuts to continue to function--the staff can't exactly educate students when they are in debt. Usually, the school will cut budget for things the school boards finds less important than other things. For instance, cutting out an elective over, say, Algebra. I say that's fine, if parents and students are able to vote on which elective is taken away. And they're not. So that itself defines a problem.

One of the issues in my parish is that the school budget cuts seem to only affect the Gifted classrooms. Our school board perpetually ignores the needs of the GIfted students because we're in Gifted, therefore persumed we don't need help learning. So they don't fund us for computers, overheads, Elmos, new and updated textbooks, etc. They instead focus on the Honors and Regular students.

We maybe be considered "above average", but we still need adaquete textbooks and functioning equipment.
Heartquake
Salute You in Your Grave
Heartquake
April 3rd, 2007 at 10:56pm
yeah at my crappy school, we tried to get more money to keep our school the way it is at least like 3 times!
and they failed. now we are trying again for the last time and if it doesnt pass, then ALOT of things are getting cut and reduced.
my school already sucks and now its gonna suck even more
of course they are cutting chess club and photo club and stuff like that first
and i think it is ridiculous because all this time we could of been saving money but we havent . our football team got 3 uniforms this year, one for home games, one for away games and one for homecoming. they spent something like 30,000 on it all! just for football!
and then we had a fund raiser to buy friday night lights which was a waste because we hardly even use them!
plus everyone who votes thinks that we bought those lights and it doesnt help at all
so basically we are just keeping all the sports and clubs that all the 'popular' kids are in. if you are in a clique in a club, you can be sure that my school is not dropping / cutting you! which is a load of crap.
my school is a load of crap, about to get even crappier.
Moses
Motor Baby
Moses
April 4th, 2007 at 08:32am
our english department dosent even have paper
there are no rulers in maths
only dried caked pain in art

my cousins living in pakistan even have better resources than mine and our school have just meant to have been upgraded to be hi-tech or something

i think most of the money that is cut from school has to do with PPP
which is frankly a stupid way to build a school because you are paying over 10 times the amount that you would need to pay if the council built it themselves

and our school spent alot of money on a nature garden in the centre of our school so pupils can relax at lunchtimes but it has been closed eversince i staarted highschool i mean what was the whole point in buiding it then?
why cant we just have paper for the english dept i mean buying paper from woolworths youself can take up alot of my measly allowance and then i cant have pizza with nagina on a saturday and then watching zoolander isnt the same without pizza
Optimistic Pessimist
Motor Baby
Optimistic Pessimist
April 4th, 2007 at 05:54pm
It's horrible. Taking away electives and stuff like that even means that there's a certain amount of credits that people won't be getting. My photography class usually gave me 5 credits, but since I'm probably not going to have photography next year, I'm not going to be able to get thsoe 5 credits.

My school even wastes money on stupid $hit like video cameras everywhere that are really unneccesary, Exit signs that are put in areas where there isn't even a freakin exit, and a new gym that we didn't even need because we already had a gym that they ended up re-modeling anyway, so there goes some more money. They also got money from the state for a new middle school that is also completely unneccesary, and chances are they're probably not going to build it anyway because our governor is a f*cking a$$hole .

The other thing that annoys me though is that our city actually does have money that could go towards the school, but is going towards a recreation center for senior citizens.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
July 10th, 2008 at 04:32pm
Hmmm..well My school has had some issues, the thing is that I don't know if their budget gets cut, I'm thinking they do since I had a school year in which we kept using yellow paper, then by the end of the school year, they only had white paper[and used it] for testing.
The Creature
In The Murder Scene
The Creature
July 10th, 2008 at 05:06pm
The budget cut for my school is shit. All music and art classes, BOCES(sp?) will get taken away. =\
stannis baratheon.
Salute You in Your Grave
stannis baratheon.
July 10th, 2008 at 05:16pm
My school budget is quite good.

Although the Maths textbooks have the names/logos of other schools stamped inside them, which is a bit odd.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 10th, 2008 at 07:36pm
I go to a public school, so the budget depends on the taxpayers. If they thought we needed a pool the would give us money for a pool. (We don't have a pool. The swim team has too practice at the Blind School. X [ )

As far as textbooks and other supplies go, we're pretty good. Every teacher has computer and there are several computer labs in the building.

Although several programs have been cut or might be cut soon. We no longer have a creative writing class, critical think may be cut if they can't find a teacher for it, and all of the foreign language teachers but one are leaving.

As far as other sports go you have to have a certain number of people or the team will be cut. Boy's soccer, baseball, basketball, and football aren't effected by this at all, which is very unfair. Unless I am my teammates can find 25 girls who will join the team, we are screwed.

The same thing goes for the theatre magnet, if we don't have enough people it will become an elective.

Chemically Romantic!:
so basically we are just keeping all the sports and clubs that all the 'popular' kids are in. if you are in a clique in a club, you can be sure that my school is not dropping / cutting you! which is a load of crap.

I don't think it has anything to do with 'popularity'. If the sports teams at your school are good and win often then of course they will get more funding.
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
July 10th, 2008 at 10:44pm
My old high school had a bunch of budget cuts and had to let quite a few people go, including one of the band directors who had just bought a new house in the area.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 11th, 2008 at 02:08am
My Schools referendum finally past last year so at this very moment new state of the art eqipment is being installed. It doesn't matter a whole lot to me cause I will have already graduated when its all done...I really miss the floors...

Yeah I always get angry when ever I hear about Art being stripped from school budgets. Its so lame, cut Economis before Art. I honestly remeber nothing from my time in Econ and have gained great insight on life from my countless hours being creative.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 11th, 2008 at 02:33am
Cut economics? Ridiculous.
I don't like the cutting of art classes, but I don't think a great class like Econ should be cut.
If you spend and make money, economics is very important.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 11th, 2008 at 02:37am
^ Well then get better teachers who make it more interesting. I only passed cause my teacher was dumb enough to give out 300 extra credit points first quarter. I failed three tests and still had a 97!

My vote goes toward keeping Art and starting a Religion 101 mandatory course in high schools nationally. Obviously the gov would have to be 100% objective, it would only be to educate kids what the hell they and other cultures believe. After that we can worry about econ. I'm not saying it isn't important, I just think its too early to worry about in high school cause hardly anyone cares and thus actual reattaining anything is hardly possible.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 11th, 2008 at 02:55am
Ah well, my school has an excellent Econ teacher, he makes it very interesting. He also teaches the religious unit in the freshmen man and society class. You study the five major religions of the world.
Nia_Black
Always Born a Crime
Nia_Black
July 11th, 2008 at 09:59am
My school isn't particularly bad because of cuts or anything but I'm part of a Catholic Voluntary secondary school. This just means it isn't mixed or 'public'. For each student that goes to my school we get €98 less than would be given in a public school. So my school has approx. 400 students meaning that every year we get around €40,000 less than a public school because of budget cuts.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 11th, 2008 at 11:45am
Does anyone besides me know why there's being school cuts, or no?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 11th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Faye Merci:
Does anyone besides me know why there's being school cuts, or no?

Well, for those in America, it's because we're headed towards recession.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 11th, 2008 at 02:30pm
Eponine:
Ah well, my school has an excellent Econ teacher, he makes it very interesting. He also teaches the religious unit in the freshmen man and society class. You study the five major religions of the world.

Wow you're lucky. My teacher is nicknamed Sid cause he looks strikingly like the sloth in Ice Age, and talks at half normal speed and in a droning mono-tone voice. I know it sounds like a stereotypical boring teacher but its true. We studied world religions for about five days in Freshman Global Studies. Hardly any time for people to realize anything worth while about other religions, much less there own. Its more so kids get ingrained in the names of belief systems and a one sentence definition of them. Which isn't even helpful at times, such as in the case of Hinduism, which actually is not Poly-theistic.