Don't have an account? Create one!

"Mega Churches"

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 5th, 2008 at 09:44pm
PsychedelicHorseshit:
^ Well people often use "Organized religion" as a way to control large groups of people. and get them to believe what they want them to. And often mistreat their power over these people. With that power they often get money out of these people and at times that's the whole reason they start gathering these people to begin with, not just because they believe what they say they believe. If that makes sense.

Hmmm, I don't know. What religions specifically are you referring too? Christianity? Judaism? Islam?
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 6th, 2008 at 09:32am
I've got issues with organized religion as a whole, for myself, personally. I give huge kudos to people who have strong faith, if it's well placed. What I have issue with is churches that instill "the fear of God", who guilt people into giving their money, and those that push the whole "you must follow our way or you'e wrong" mentality. I make a huge delineation between religion and spirituality. I'm spiritual in my own way. I'm not "religious" - I think "religion" is a man made concept.

The money thing - it's such a can of worms. For example, I read a magazine article about budgeting money recently - and the family they used as an example tithed 20% of their income to their church, yet they were struggling to make ends meet and were putting groceries on their credit cards. The financial advisor suggested they cut back their tithing - the refused. That kind of thing I have issue with. If you want to give to your church, that's your choice - but to ruin yourself in the process just doesn't make sense.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 01:17pm
Ierosistible:
I've got issues with organized religion as a whole, for myself, personally. I give huge kudos to people who have strong faith, if it's well placed. What I have issue with is churches that instill "the fear of God", who guilt people into giving their money, and those that push the whole "you must follow our way or you'e wrong" mentality.

I've never encountered a church like that. I mean, I've heard about people who preach that way, but I guess I'm just lucky that my local churches aren't like that at all.
sci-fi-noise
Jazz Hands
sci-fi-noise
August 7th, 2008 at 03:24am
Eponine:
PsychedelicHorseshit:
^ Well people often use "Organized religion" as a way to control large groups of people. and get them to believe what they want them to. And often mistreat their power over these people. With that power they often get money out of these people and at times that's the whole reason they start gathering these people to begin with, not just because they believe what they say they believe. If that makes sense.

Hmmm, I don't know. What religions specifically are you referring too? Christianity? Judaism? Islam?
Christianity isnt a religion it's a beleive and i was talking about catholic religion or smaller religions that........ or maybe what i'm thinking of would just be considered a cult? I'm sorry i get very confused with this stuff Embarassed
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 7th, 2008 at 08:26am
PsychedelicHorseshit:
Christianity isnt a religion it's a beleive and i was talking about catholic religion or smaller religions that........ or maybe what i'm thinking of would just be considered a cult? I'm sorry i get very confused with this stuff Embarassed

Christianity is a religion that encompasses all of the denominations.
I think there have been cases of cult like churches that do that. I can't remember who they are but that really old couple who have a tv church show where pretty much like that. And they took all the money given to them and bought things for themselves. I don't think most churches are like that though seeing as most churches in america are about 200 or less.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
August 8th, 2008 at 04:28pm
Ierosistible:
I've got issues with organized religion as a whole, for myself, personally. I give huge kudos to people who have strong faith, if it's well placed. What I have issue with is churches that instill "the fear of God", who guilt people into giving their money, and those that push the whole "you must follow our way or you'e wrong" mentality. I make a huge delineation between religion and spirituality. I'm spiritual in my own way. I'm not "religious" - I think "religion" is a man made concept.

The fear of God concept really isn't in place to force you or scare you into paying but rather its to explain the feeling knowing that god is the almighty be all and end all to our religion its more of a respect of god rather than a fear of god.