Youth Decisions.

AuthorMessage
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 24th, 2008 at 08:39am
Chris Martin:
Eponine:
And I don't get your reasoning on letting young children watching more adult tv/movies. I would never let a nine year old see a movie like, say, 28 Weeks Later.

Well, South Park is hardly the same as 28 Weeks Later, in that there is no actual gore involved - just animation. She isn't making a blanket statement. I completely get what she is saying - give your children the freedom to watch a few shows with their parents, to gain the self-confidence you get when you feel like you're making your own "grown up choices" (Because that's what watching those shows and such really is).

The point not being made is that parents can still let choices be made and stay in the circle. Using your example of South Park vs. 28 Weeks Later: obviously a parent could put their foot down and say "I let you watch South Park but you are NOT going to see that movie; I don't think you're old enough." Yes, there will be a healthy debate about that, but that's what a parent can and needs to do to be involved in their child's life. It doesn't have to be black-and-white; you can set boundaries and still let a child make their own choices.

I sort of disagree i don't think a child should be exposed to that sort of material, especially a nine year old. There are a lot of themes that a person could explain to their child, whilst thorough still wont click in the child's mind.

The content in South park at times can be controversial and inappropriate for a child especially when the child gets to school and tries to regurgitate what he or she watched last night on south park.

I'm not suggesting you smother the child or anything, but im saying to not intentionally expose him or her to this sort of content. I'm all for south park and i understand its appeal to a child, i watched it for the first time when i was eleven and there is no way i would of understood half the crap i saw there even if someone was there explaining it. Besides even if my parents explained the content that wouldnt stop me from being an immature twat about it, im sure theres a lot of children who could vouch for that
Eight Bitter Years.
Killjoy
Eight Bitter Years.
August 2nd, 2008 at 07:03pm
I think youth should be able to make desicions, as long as they are educated, and mature. It realllllllllyyyyy depends on the person
mega_n
Killjoy
mega_n
August 3rd, 2008 at 10:25am
well, i also think it is a question of maturity, i'm almost 15 and i think i'm capable of making serious decisions, like i think i'm mature enough to vote in elections but i know plenty of people my age who are way not mature enough to do that sort of thing. but i am fed up my opignion never being listened to because i'm underage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 3rd, 2008 at 10:29am
Eight Bitter Years.:
I think youth should be able to make desicions, as long as they are educated, and mature. It realllllllllyyyyy depends on the person

"As long as they are educated"? Educated on what?