Don't have an account? Create one!

Youth Decisions.

AuthorMessage
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
May 26th, 2007 at 12:42am
replying to C&S^^
in the usa, or at least in Virginia the banks are under the impression that if u open accounts then you'll want a credit card, and then you wont be able to pay and so on and so forth.
its just another mark of the lack of faith in the level of maturity. its really not an age and i wish there was some sort of IM-Not-Stupid test you could take to prove it. like being 18 is going to make me smarter?
what? does a fairy come around with a "Not an Idiot" stick and smack you over the head?
Nope.
To prove my point...look at the news. There is undoubtably a story on a stupid "mature" adult.
ahh...the fairness.
feardeath
Fabulous Killjoy
feardeath
May 26th, 2007 at 02:41am
i think maturity is one big factor on decision making. sometimes, even adults get hard time deciding for themselves.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
May 26th, 2007 at 04:14am
I am given quite a lot of freedom and chances to make my own decisions. Yeah sometimes i make bad decisions, but thats how we develop as people. Some people really want independance and others shy away from it. What age people should be allowed to make important decisions, depend on the idividual person.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 27th, 2007 at 07:03pm
Username?:
replying to C&S^^
in the usa, or at least in Virginia the banks are under the impression that if u open accounts then you'll want a credit card, and then you wont be able to pay and so on and so forth.

God, that's such a stupid assumption!! I'm nearly 21 and refuse point-blank to get a credit card.. why would I want to pay interest on my own money?
I mean, in Australia you can open as many bank accounts as you want, if you're underage, you simply can't apply for a credit card because minors aren't permitted to have one, it's that simple.
Virginia/the US is a dumbass lol.
What a stupid, stupid assumption to make. What about high-schoolers who have part-time/after-school jobs? Do they have to get paid cash in hand because of that rule? What about minors on welfare, do they go to the unemployment office and get handed a wad of money?
Wow, the 'if you have a bank account it means you want a credit card' assumption is the dumbest I've heard all week.
stac-renee
Killjoy
stac-renee
April 3rd, 2008 at 11:00am
I THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PERSON, DID THEIR PARENTS TEACH THEM HOW TO BE RESPONSIBLE, HAVE THEY EVER HAD TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING AND IF SO, HOW DID THEY DO?
I KNOW SOME 13 YEAR OLDS THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE AND SOME ADULTS WHO ARE NOT
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
April 3rd, 2008 at 03:14pm
I think that it depends on the decision and how mature that person is, and if they think they themselves are cable of making that decision.
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
April 4th, 2008 at 09:40am
i think it's the age when the child doesn't/won't rely too much on their parents already
when they start to keep things or problems from their parents and decide to just try to deal with things and solve problems all by themselves
the rise and fall
Killjoy
the rise and fall
April 5th, 2008 at 05:46pm
im sixteen. and i can make very serious decisions. quite honestly it depends on the person. ive been able to make serious decisions probably since i was in sixth grade or so. but some people cant even make serious decisions when they're adults
skitty.
In the Cannibal Glow
skitty.
April 5th, 2008 at 08:23pm
i agree it depends on maturity
and also what has happened in their life, like whose made the mistake so you won't? i think at some time or another every one has to mature enough to make serious desicions but at what age depends
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
April 12th, 2008 at 10:37pm
It really does depend on how mature the person is.
I believe I am mature enough to make decisions that are classified as 'big'.
I think a lot of decisions should be made by teenagers. (15+)
But only the mature ones who could handle the situation.
In my opinion, I think that if adults could see things from our view, things would be easier.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 15th, 2008 at 06:04am

I totally agree with everyone else, it's based on maturity.

However, when you are younger, you believe you know exactly what is best with you, that you can control your own life and do not need anything or anyone to dictate what you are doing. When, in reality, a lot of the time you don't have a clue. Of course, everyone's different and there are exceptions to this trend.

Most people look back on how they were when they were younger and laugh (or grimace) at the decisions they made for themselves as with age and maturity, there comes knowlege. The government has to ensure that people aren't going to make decisions that can potentionally change their life until they are of a certain age where they can take full responsibilty for those actions and the life ahead of them. This is very much determined on the average intelligence level and maturity rate of people.

I believe that things should stay how they are, at 18 here in the UK. By then, you are an adult, no longer the responsibility of your parents. There are always some exceptions, just as there are always some immature 18 year olds or very mature younger teens but by then, you can go into the world still learning but with a basic knowlege and maturity.
DeathCabCutie
Fabulous Killjoy
DeathCabCutie
May 24th, 2008 at 06:14pm
it really doesn't matter how old you are
it's about how well you're able to deal with serious things
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 24th, 2008 at 07:43pm
I think that the age where you become mature and able to make decisions really changes for different things. But about the age 18-I think it's because you're expected to be able to handle those things, that you become able to, and put more thought into it.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
May 26th, 2008 at 08:09am
I was recently given a huge lecture on this by my friend,

My parents now trust me to fly to other states and cities by myself and find my way around because I have proven myself to be capable of such a feat.

My friend was explaining to me how irresponsible it was and how 16 is too young. I feel if the person is confident on what they do and have enough experience and maturity thats when they can make those kinds of decisions.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 31st, 2008 at 06:45am

I think alot of people think they're more mature than people take them to be. but you know sometimes people are right when they say your just a kid ..

when your sixteen you instantly think that your old enough to make massive decisions on your own cos you start to think that you've been around the block once or twice. but really i think 16 is too young. somewhere closer to twenty is more like it.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 31st, 2008 at 07:15am
^That's quite true, I've found, especially amongst younger teenagers.
It's so easy for a 13 year old kid to say, "Oh, yeah... I'm really mature, because I can blah blah blah...", but it doesn't necessarily make them so.

And everyone feels like that when they are younger. A lot of people do, anyway. They feel more mature than they are in some regards, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are able to make 'adult' decisions etc.

Xfamousxlastxwords
Killjoy
Xfamousxlastxwords
June 1st, 2008 at 09:53am
i think tht its (like most ppl) that certian person's leval of maturity. everyone is raised different and for some people a certian decision is just an everyday thing (like smoking or w/e) but for other people its not. so i guess it depends on what you're life is like at that time
facepalm.
Jazz Hands
facepalm.
June 1st, 2008 at 11:26am
By doing this discussion, I pretty much think that we've all formed our own opinions and made our own decisions about the topic. So maturity might not have much to do with it.
It probably depends on what your idea of being mature is- personally I think its about not depending on anyone for anything.
Back on topic, maturity develops at different ages, just like puberty, I guess, but it's less physical.
red_and_black
Killjoy
red_and_black
June 1st, 2008 at 11:47am
I agree with what everybody else has posted. I think that there is a minimum age for not being mature.... like 7 or something. However, I will probably be proved wrong, so I guess it depends on how you were raised really.... though your age is a factor as well.
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
June 1st, 2008 at 02:24pm
Ok
Well I think that we have probably reached a verdict that it all depends on how mature someone is.
I am young but I am mature.
I know what is out there and I am scared of what will happen when I grow older.
I am also mature enough to know that at my age I don't think that I will be able to survive on my own. I'm not in any hurry to move out and get a job and all of that.
I know so many adults who are immature in personality, but are mature when it comes to the real world. So maybe it isn't maturity. It could be that it's the person and how they handle situations. You have to be smart. I think that's the key word. Smart.