Don't have an account? Create one!

To Write Love On Her Arms.

AuthorMessage
kinney.
Bulletproof Heart
kinney.
August 13th, 2007 at 01:29am
I've never even heard of this before, but just reading these posts is making me want to cry.
I think everyone should know about this, open a few eyes to what really goes on.
I just wish that I'd found out about it sooner.
Thanks for posting this.
soleil vs the dark.
Awake and Unafraid
soleil vs the dark.
August 16th, 2007 at 07:53am
i raised ten bucks for them at the blogathon. :]
its not much but i'm so glad i could help.
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
August 16th, 2007 at 11:50pm
jack twist.:
i raised ten bucks for them at the blogathon. :]
its not much but i'm so glad i could help.

Wow, thank you. I applaud you for doing that.
Even the smallest amount makes a difference.
selfish machine.
Always Born a Crime
selfish machine.
August 20th, 2007 at 01:30am
i just ordered a shirt yesterdayyy!
i can't wait to get it.
:3
imperfectcrime
Fabulous Killjoy
imperfectcrime
August 28th, 2007 at 06:57pm
They just won the MySpace Impact Awards.

"We at TWLOHA are honored to accept this MySpace Impact Award. When we made the decision to tell a true story eighteen months ago, and to invite people into it, we believed we were attempting something unique, and we felt it needed a home. Our MySpace page has been that home ever since. Our goal was to create a space that would be both brave and safe - something unique, informative, honest and ultimately full of hope. Music and the music community have played a huge part, but even more, we've heard from thousands of people who care - people fighting for their lives, and for the lives of their friends, people asking for help and others just wanting to help. We have become a surprising community attempting an honest conversation, believing that rescue is possible, that depression is treatable, that our stories are important, and that it's possible to change the world. -- Jamie Tworkowski, Founder, TWLOHA."

Very Happy
I love TWLOHA.
awake and unafraid.
Really Not Okay
awake and unafraid.
September 3rd, 2007 at 02:29pm
Yay. I just bought 100 flyers for TWLOHA and I'm going to pass them out at my local mall. I love them. With a passion. And I've memorized the story, all of it.
awake and unafraid.
Really Not Okay
awake and unafraid.
September 10th, 2007 at 03:16am
Tomorrow is World Suicide Prevention Day. Hooray.
fire at will.
Damned After All
fire at will.
September 11th, 2007 at 06:45am
I am definitely adding this to my profile.
It's for such a great cause.
And when I can, I will buy the shirt.
selfish machine.
Always Born a Crime
selfish machine.
September 17th, 2007 at 10:55pm
how long is it supposed to take to get the shirt after you order it?
i've been waiting for about a month now, and i still don't have it.
i sent them an email and they replied saying "it takes 2-6 weeks to process the orders then ship them".
but i'm just curious how long it's taken for you guys to get shirts?
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
September 18th, 2007 at 06:13am
If I remember correctly, it took about 2 and a half
to three weeks for me.But it was awhile ago. I bought a
bunch at Warped Tour. I'm sure that you will get your's really soon.

xx
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
September 18th, 2007 at 06:17am
* Updated Facts.
Good to know, you guys.

According to the World Health Organization, depression is one of the leading causes of disability, with approximately 121 million people suffering with depression worldwide. The National Institute of Mental Health states that approximately 18 million people suffer from depression in America alone. Depression does not discriminate across age, race, gender, or class. Among teenagers it is estimated that 20 percent will suffer from depression at some point by the time they reach adulthood. There are also as many as 8.3 percent of teens suffering from depression for at least a year at a time, compared to 5.3 percent of the general population.

Between 20% and 50% of depressed kids and teens have a family history of depression and children of depressed parents are more than three times as likely to suffer from depression. (U.S. Surgeon Generalís Survey, 1999)

Depression often co-occurs with anxiety disorders and substance abuse, with 30 percent of teens with depression also developing a substance abuse problem. (NIMH) 2/3 of those suffering from depression never seek treatment.

Untreated depression is the number one cause of suicide, and suicide is the third leading cause of death among teenagers. (NIMH)

While not always the case, often untreated depression and other struggles lead to unhealthy ways in which we try and deal with the hurt and pain we are feeling. We try and find anything that we can do to take away the hurt, painful feelings, or negative thoughts we are experiencing. Often the things that we turn to seem to help at first, appearing to provide some of the relief that we need so badly. But, even though they may seem like they help, often they are unhealthy themselves, eventually becoming even greater struggles like addictions such as drugs, alcohol, eating disorders, or self-injury.

Self-injury remained very much a mystery until 1996 when Princess Diana revealed that she had struggled with it. It has become much more visible in society within the last ten years.

Self-injury is also termed self-mutilation, self-harm, or self-abuse. It can be defined as the deliberate, repetitive, impulsive, non-lethal harming of one’s self, including but not limited to; 1) cutting, 2) burning, 3) picking or interfering with wound healing,4) infecting oneself, 5) punching/hitting self or objects, 6) inserting objects in to skin, 7) bruising or breaking bones, and some forms of hair pulling. While these behaviors pose serious risks, they may be symptoms of a problem that can be treated.

Experts estimate that 4% of the population struggle with self-injury. It has the same occurrence between males and females, even though in popular culture it can appear to be more prevalent among girls.

Those who struggle with self-injury may have many different reasons for their behavior, some of which may be feelings of emptiness, inability to understand or express what they are feeling, loneliness, fear, past abuse, depression, as well as many others. As self-injury, like many addictions, is often a coping mechanism to deal with some manner of internal pain, many who struggle with it also struggle with other issues such as eating disorders and alcohol and drug abuse. While self-injury may be someone’s way to cope with or relieve painful or hard-to-express feelings and is generally NOT a suicide attempt, relief is always temporary, and usually only perpetuates a destructive cycle that continues the struggle. This cycle often means that those who do not get help can become more depressed and shameful, adding to the pain and need for relief, thus perpetuating the cycle.

Dangers: While self-injury may not be about attempting suicide, the damage done while harming oneself ALWAYS carries the risks of inflicting serious, and even lethal, harm to oneself regardless of whether suicide is intended or not. Also the continued cycle of addiction and self-harm, as in substance abuse and other eating disorders can have a destructive effect on one’s health both physically and mentally, and struggles worsen as time continues without treatment.

(*Self injury facts from SAFE alternatives, online.)

Self-injury, like alcohol and drug abuse and eating disorders, is addictive, and thus not something that is easy to simply ‘stop’.

Help and treatment are available, though at times may be hard to find.

However, while all addictions are very difficult to overcome, help and treatment are out there and available, and recovery and freedom are possible.

We believe this is true whether someone’s struggles may be self injury, depression, drugs and alcohol, body image issues, sexual addiction, or other areas of brokenness.

Research shows that those who seek professional help and therapy have a very good chance of recovery, and finding relief from symptoms such as depression and anxiety as well as others. [APA, 1998]

We at TWLOHA believe that rescue is possible, and are committed to communicating hope to others who know the daily struggle of living in a broken world.

xx
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
September 22nd, 2007 at 10:18pm
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
September 23rd, 2007 at 06:59am
Ugh. Double Post.
selfish machine.
Always Born a Crime
selfish machine.
September 24th, 2007 at 01:33am
Suspended In Time.:

This is so inspiring.
that seriously almost made me cry.
Crying or Very sad
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
September 24th, 2007 at 02:53am
brooke belligerent:
Suspended In Time.:

This is so inspiring.
that seriously almost made me cry.
Crying or Very sad

I know. I'm so thankful to have met Aaron + The Almost.
They said some things to me that I will never forget, ever.
The whole video is amazing.
selfish machine.
Always Born a Crime
selfish machine.
October 16th, 2007 at 11:25pm
Thread revival!

i got my shirts today.
i'm probably the happiest kid alive right now.
[:
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 24th, 2007 at 12:09am
The only thing that turns me from these guys is their Christian base. They can help people without "spreading the word of God"

I feel like half the reason they started it was to help, and half to get the weak to convert..that's what Christian based orginazations like this do.
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
November 11th, 2007 at 07:11am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
The only thing that turns me from these guys is their Christian base. They can help people without "spreading the word of God"
I feel like half the reason they started it was to help, and half to get the weak to convert...that's what Christian based orginazations like this do.

Don't take this offensively, but I think you're being closed minded about this.
Not all Christian organizations just want to convert others.
TWLOHA's sole purpose is to offer help, hope, and love to the weak and weary.
Of course they want other's to find God and his love, but they aren't forcing it.
Don't clump them together with everything else. It shouldn't keep you from supporting them.
I'm sorry if I sound mean, I'm not trying to. I just need to express my own opinion on the issue.

- - - - - -

Also, this is on TWLOHA's website.

Q. Is TWLOHA a “Christian” organization?
A. We feel that the story (and the rest of this project) speaks for itself.
Identifying something (such as a band, store, venue or project) as
"Christian" often alienates those outside of the church/Christian culture,
and we don't want to do that. TWLOHA aims to be inclusive and inviting.
This is a project for all people. This is a project for broken people,
and it is led by broken people.

For more on this topic, please consider the book
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller, as well as the words
of U2's Bono, Switchfoot's Jon Foreman,
Thrice's Dustin Kensrue, and Anberlin's Stephen Christian.
selfish machine.
Always Born a Crime
selfish machine.
November 12th, 2007 at 05:35pm
^^
I couldn't agree more.
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
November 25th, 2007 at 05:37am
Thread Revival;;
I just got my Paramore TWLOHA shirt.
It's amazing. And it has the lyrics to We Are Broken on the inside.
Here's the pic from the website; if you haven't seen it yet.

: )