Don't have an account? Create one!

Tips for starting a band.

AuthorMessage
your grandmother
Jazz Hands
your grandmother
September 3rd, 2007 at 10:01pm
The title pretty much says it.

So, here you can say tips for starting a band. like me example, like 5 min ago i started a band. Parading In London. And, if there is anything i need to know to start one, i would love it if someone would tell me.
MarkTruth1991
Jazz Hands
MarkTruth1991
September 4th, 2007 at 11:43pm
Use Myspace and stuff, advertising is great, try and get a global fan base instead of local. Will give you more passion
Lounge Fly
Bleeding on the Floor
Lounge Fly
September 5th, 2007 at 11:45am
My advice is to be careful of the egos of your bandmates. It may be OK now, but if you hit it you'll have problems. What do you do?
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 8th, 2007 at 05:09am
*Choose wisely on who will be in the band (dont wanna end up in a band with a slacker)
*Have Back up equipment (incase something happens)
*Try find small venues to play in (always start small then go big)
*Let everyone know about your band get as much advertisement as possible
*Play the best you can everytime you play
*Oh and have tons of fun

Viva la Gloria!
Joining The Black Parade
Viva la Gloria!
September 9th, 2007 at 12:47am
the thing about having a band is having an open mind as well. remember that your bandmates my have a different view of the song your writing and may not understand it as well.
Disenchanted232
Killjoy
Disenchanted232
September 20th, 2007 at 03:45am
Try to write most of your own songs from the beginning. To find out your fellow bandmates type of music have the whole group write a song.

If you need to find people for your group (extra guitar player) post and ad. for one in a local newspaper.
Don't get to serious with your music, then it won't flow very well.
mer von d
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mer von d
September 20th, 2007 at 06:51am
probs don't start a band with your very best buds coz egos can get pretty big and the end of the band might mean the end of your friendship...
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
September 23rd, 2007 at 03:03am
i would also say to use myspace and advertise and dont ever forget your fans. EVER!!!
Disenchanted232
Killjoy
Disenchanted232
September 23rd, 2007 at 07:48pm
Well, I would actually start the group with ur friends. They're the ones u can trust the most. You also know what they are capable of, and know if they are comitted.

Plus, I would say you'd be more comftorable with them.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 24th, 2007 at 05:57pm
*Myspace is your friend
*Find and play at as many local venues as you can.
*Make sure your set has at least 5 original songs..NO COVERS
*Establish your scene. Don't mix scenes unless you are playing with a band from that scene. I only say this because kids can be harsh..
Need to know.
Salute You in Your Grave
Need to know.
September 24th, 2007 at 09:04pm

^^ What do you mean 'don't mix scenes'? As in, genres?

My tip would be don't date someone in the band. ;]
Along with everything else said above.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 24th, 2007 at 10:09pm
Like...if your a punk rocker, don't play at a hardcore venue, or don't play a hardcore song while you call yourself a punk band.

I love mixing genres, but the local scene is just so vicious it's sick. I hate it with a passion. Save it for the big times.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 24th, 2007 at 10:09pm
Like...if your a punk rocker, don't play at a hardcore venue, or don't play a hardcore song while you call yourself a punk band.

I love mixing genres, but the local scene is just so vicious it's sick. I hate it with a passion. Save it for the big times.
tdfp_lover
Killjoy
tdfp_lover
September 26th, 2007 at 07:12pm
if you want to be a musician, play music.

if you want to be a Rock Star, make shitty shitty things that sell like the rest of them to. if you hate yourself.
mychemrox
Joining The Black Parade
mychemrox
September 26th, 2007 at 07:19pm
last night my sis and i came up with some lyrics that we liked. and the thought of starting a band excited both of us. the problem: i can't sing - she says i can, no music and no instruments. ugh. i like music and feel like expressing myself. what do i do?
Disenchanted232
Killjoy
Disenchanted232
September 27th, 2007 at 03:03am
mychemrox:
last night my sis and i came up with some lyrics that we liked. and the thought of starting a band excited both of us. the problem: i can't sing - she says i can, no music and no instruments. ugh. i like music and feel like expressing myself. what do i do?
Post bullitens in ur school (if u or ur sis go to school) and find a local resturant or something that will put up your flyers. My group and I did that and all we need is a guitarist. This way u'll know off the bat if a person is commited. (And u can always decide if they aren't for your type of group, befroe u say ok.
rachi_left4deadx_x
Motor Baby
rachi_left4deadx_x
October 10th, 2007 at 08:10pm
Make sure you pick your members right. Choose close friends. Friends that you know won't let your band come between your relationship.
TheDemolitionLover
Killjoy
TheDemolitionLover
October 11th, 2007 at 03:15pm
My friends and I are starting a band and are have basic equipment, but are looking for a PA system that is basic and will still get the job done. does anyone have any sugguestions?
Kid Rock
Banned
Kid Rock
October 16th, 2007 at 02:01am
-- How do I find people in my neighborhood that are interested in playing in a band with me?
rachi_left4deadx_x
Motor Baby
rachi_left4deadx_x
October 16th, 2007 at 07:33pm
Put an ad in a newspaper or hang flyers up ^^^