Don't have an account? Create one!

Tips for starting a band.

AuthorMessage
IveGotSharpTeeth!
Killjoy
IveGotSharpTeeth!
April 23rd, 2008 at 11:05pm
All right, our band is looking to record a demo on a cd...but we haven't got much cash. Got any suggestions on where to find good equipment cheap? How much do you think it will cost all together?
Zozz
Killjoy
Zozz
April 24th, 2008 at 08:42am
I'm not in a band anymore, because the girl I was supposed to write music with wasn't thaught to play like I was. I thaught myself, she had a teacher, so she can't read notes. I play and write in a completely different way, so that's another tips for you guys. Find people who work like you.

I also find it hard to find serious bandmembers...
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
April 25th, 2008 at 04:42pm
IveGotSharpTeeth!:
All right, our band is looking to record a demo on a cd...but we haven't got much cash. Got any suggestions on where to find good equipment cheap? How much do you think it will cost all together?
um i think if you wanna make a really good demo
save up for it, around a couple hundred or around 80-90 your choice
but the expensive the equipment is, the better the demo will sound
Craig Bunnell
Killjoy
Craig Bunnell
April 28th, 2008 at 01:01am
Ah... Well I'm kinda new to this website so I hope I don't ask something that's already been asked...but here it goes. Question:

I've finally got a group of friends to help me start a band. All we need is a bassist and stuff because our other bassist is kinda...Well.. He puts no effort into helping the group. I play Rhythmic and Back-Up Vocals. But that's all besides the point...

My question is.. How do you actually START making the music? Do you create a riff based on the lyrics someone makes first? Or do you make a riff, show it to your members, and then they try to make lyrics and music that would go well with it? And for lyrics, what are the defining factors in the speed that you sing the lyrics, the tone, and even how you write verses, chorus, or when to put an instrumental break? I know this is alot of questions but ever since I've started I've been really curious about these things and I have no one to really talk to about these things... I'm trying to write lyrics and guitar music but if I do one thing (like lyrics first) I find it hard to create rhythmic music that compliments the lyrics adequately...
Annaundead;
Awake and Unafraid
Annaundead;
May 18th, 2008 at 07:09am
What you do is you get some hella talented members.
Then you randomly make something up.
Then the vocalist makes it up on the spot.
go through it repeatedly until it's mint.
Throw in a few breakdowns and a nice sexy beat down for everyone to dance to,
and your done.

literally jam.
My friends band wrote a full song in 10 minutes last night, making it up on the spot is the wayyy.
Lounge Fly
Bleeding on the Floor
Lounge Fly
May 22nd, 2008 at 04:12am
I need some help here too. I know a guy (Friend of a friend) who's a drummer and we have similar tastes in music. Problem is he can be a total prick at times. I'm also uncomfortable about asking someone I don't like much to start a band with me, but I don't know any other drummers who would want to form a band who may be committed.
Paroxysm
Joining The Black Parade
Paroxysm
June 8th, 2008 at 12:42am
shadow_666:
I need some help here too. I know a guy (Friend of a friend) who's a drummer and we have similar tastes in music. Problem is he can be a total prick at times. I'm also uncomfortable about asking someone I don't like much to start a band with me, but I don't know any other drummers who would want to form a band who may be committed.

starting a band with someone you dont get along with can cuase problems.
its alot easier to be basiccly brothers wehn it comes to making music.
anthony green.
In The Murder Scene
anthony green.
June 8th, 2008 at 01:13am
well, i think you all need to watch the size of your heads.
and you all should come up with a band name.
one each.
then agree on the one you want from there.
that way you have a name most of the band members can agree on.
also, a question.
do you know what a band can do when there are absolutely zero bass players?
Black Presicion
Killjoy
Black Presicion
June 10th, 2008 at 08:07pm
There have been bands without basses and they're really good. But yeah, bass can be important. They can still be good, but as ur making music or getting farther and stuff, look for bass players that you can trust, that are serious about this, that are good (obviously), and are nice, not pricks or anything.

Hope I helped.
SonOfAres
Killjoy
SonOfAres
June 21st, 2008 at 05:35am
or u can do like mcr did with matt the drumer keep them till you find someone better then kick them and now theyre perfect
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
June 30th, 2008 at 01:34pm
i find that if u really write lyrics and music from personal experience or about something that u truely believe in its that much better
and it means more to the listeners then too
XxVaMpireWayxX
Killjoy
XxVaMpireWayxX
July 2nd, 2008 at 05:46pm
One thing: HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But play as good as possible.....
Raggerdoodle
Killjoy
Raggerdoodle
July 5th, 2008 at 06:31pm
I wanna sing for a UK MCR tribute band, doubt that that's ever gonna happen though lol
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
November 8th, 2008 at 07:25pm
Tips for starting a band:
- Myspace. It's fantastic for finding band members and building a fanbase
- Know what you want. Know what style of music you want to play, what band members you're looking for, etc.
- If you have a couple of people to choose from (for the guitarist, for example) hear them ALL before choosing someone to join the band
- Make sure you get on really well with your bandmates!
- Make sure you can all communicate!!! listen to what everyone says and take it all on board. Try everything out a differant way and if one of your bandmates says they dont like something or it could be done better, give what they're saying a go without getting annoyed at them!!

Tips for playing live:
- Get to the venue as early as you can. For your first few gigs this is always a plus, especially if you take your own equipment...a drum kit is hell to set up in 10 minutes!!
- Make sure all your equipment is working properly. There is nothing worse then getting on stage and finding that your guitar isn't tuned properly or your hihats aren't closing
- Warm up! This is one of the most important parts in playing a successful set. Stretch your muscles, do star jumps, jog on the spot...whatever works for you. Drummers: Make sure you warm up your wrists!! your wrist locking up mid-set is one of the worst things that can happen to you, so make sure you've stretched them out really well
- Make sure everyone in the band knows the set list. (At one of my band's first gig's nobody could remember the setlist and we had to keep pausing between songs to ask each other. Not a good thing!!)
- Be prepared! Make sure you all know what you're doing and know the songs well enough to play them in your sleep.
- Do not be discouraged by the crowd. Not many people have a successful first gig, so don't freak out if they don't like you straight away or aren't jumping around to the music
- Wearing something comfortable is important. It sounds silly, but dont wear you're tightest jeans just because they look good if you can't move around in them!!

Tips for booking gigs:
- Myspace. This is the number one place to find out about upcoming gigs. Add lots of promotion pages and local bands, they often post bulletins about upcoming gigs and bands wanted. Don't be afraid to go for it!
- If you know of a local gig venue with a good website, check it out constantly, they often need opening acts for shows (Note: An opening act is the very best for your first ever show)
- Local bands! This is another fantastic way to book gigs. Get to know other bands and you may just get an offer from them for a gig if you're lucky
- A lot of local organisations hold fundraising gigs, such as Save Pop Punk (myspace.com/savepoppunk)

The best tip can give to any band is not to take yourself to seriously. Just have fun with what you're doing and who you're doing it with. Playing music is such an amazing experience, just fun with it!
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
November 11th, 2008 at 01:22am
Another important tip for playing live:
If you're having a problem with your setting up your drum, getting your amp to work or whatever, don't be too proud to ask the techs for help!! No matter how stupid the quesion is, it's better to know
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 16th, 2008 at 10:37pm
Okay- [sorry for the complete random-jumping-in-and-posting.,,,]
I'd like to start a band, but. . .
-There isn't anyone besides me older than 12 anywhere around me
-I have no way to record ourselves to upload it anywhere
and
-I have no money and no way of making it; my schedule right now will not permit for a job, and when I do, it all is going to college. [We're just wealthy enough for as to NOT qualify for financial aid, and I can't qualify for many scholarships, with my very averege grades.]
Tips are very welcome... ^_^
creameggsandcheese
Killjoy
creameggsandcheese
November 26th, 2008 at 03:20pm
Myspace... and be carful when getting band members... like teens who don't take it seriously... my sisters band went pretty well for a teenage band because everyone in it was serious... It only ended when the bass player had to serve in Iraq and though a bass player is eaisly replaced, everyone had the blues about seeing him leave...
creameggsandcheese
Killjoy
creameggsandcheese
November 26th, 2008 at 03:21pm
Beautiful Tragedy.:
Okay- [sorry for the complete random-jumping-in-and-posting.,,,]
I'd like to start a band, but. . .
-There isn't anyone besides me older than 12 anywhere around me
-I have no way to record ourselves to upload it anywhere
and
-I have no money and no way of making it; my schedule right now will not permit for a job, and when I do, it all is going to college. [We're just wealthy enough for as to NOT qualify for financial aid, and I can't qualify for many scholarships, with my very averege grades.]
Tips are very welcome... ^_^

When you find abnd members play in coffee shops and havea guitar case open for donations.. Put that money in a savings account.. SAVE EVERY PENNY!
vacant3by4-
Killjoy
vacant3by4-
January 22nd, 2009 at 07:31pm
LEARN TO PLAY IN TIME.
I can't it when bands can't do that, it's the backbone of absolutely everything.
Screw venues, advertising, Myspace, dating a member, just learn to play in time.
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
June 12th, 2009 at 10:46am
Raggerdoodle:
I wanna sing for a UK MCR tribute band, doubt that that's ever gonna happen though lol

I'd love to be in a UK MCR tribute band haha I was thinking about this the other day

I know most people say don't cover music but I think to begin with, to learn how music fits together and how to work with each other, play a selection of songs not just ones you like but ones that work well with other instruments.
I think thats also the best way to start writing music