Don't have an account? Create one!

Humans = Superior ?

AuthorMessage
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
June 4th, 2008 at 04:18pm
I think that in many ways we are the superior species. We have built cities etc.

We have leisure activities, we have technology and a better understand of the universe then any other creature on this planet. We have armies and medical facilities, I don't see any other creatures on this earth learning how to cure diseases or heal wounds.

We are at the top of the food chain, we keep animals as pets, put them in zoos.

We are the ones that can change the earth, we are changing the earth e.g. global warming deforestation.
Be Brave Tonight
Killjoy
Be Brave Tonight
June 5th, 2008 at 11:15am
i dont think we are better to be honest
im not a christian but i belive that everyone and everything is equal as one
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
June 8th, 2008 at 05:24am
I don't think we are superior. But we are definatley the most advanced species.
We've built things, made languages, made many different machines and such and that makes us smarter than the rest. And I like it this way.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 8th, 2008 at 10:10am

i think being more advanced like you said warrents us to be superior.
i mean by what other standard are we to measure superiority.

Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 1st, 2010 at 10:36am

Superior because of our technology?

If I put you in the ring with a bloodthirsty lion with nothing but the clothes on your back, would you be able to survive? No. That makes us not advanced anatomically.

Technology: Humans
Physical Strength: Numerous Species

Just because we are advanced in one field does not mean we are superior over all animals.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 1st, 2010 at 10:39am
Sonnet 130:
I think that in many ways we are the superior species. We have built cities etc.

We have leisure activities, we have technology and a better understand of the universe then any other creature on this planet. We have armies and medical facilities, I don't see any other creatures on this earth learning how to cure diseases or heal wounds.

We are at the top of the food chain, we keep animals as pets, put them in zoos.

We are the ones that can change the earth, we are changing the earth e.g. global warming deforestation.

Strip us of our technology and we are defenseless. We cease to become the top of the food chain. Just because we have certain technology, that makes us superior? Because we can imprison animals?
We are changing the earth in a negative way, slowly killing it, and that makes us superior?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
February 1st, 2010 at 04:01pm
My argument would be the fact we have technology in the first place makes us superior. I dont mean that as in other animals are below us or anything, but i do think we are the most advanced when it comes down to it.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 1st, 2010 at 05:13pm

What I'm really trying to get at here is if it came down to it, is your life more valuable than a Tiger? A cat? A mouse?
I know we are technologically advance, but does that mean we have the right to do whatever we want with species who aren't?
the_black_parader
Thinking Happy Thoughts
the_black_parader
February 2nd, 2010 at 08:51pm
i think we are superior simply because God didnt give the garden of eden to any animal. he gave it to 2 humans. we are the only species to be able to use logic. we can speak, learn from our mistakes, help others who dont learn from their mistakes, among other things that are exclusive to the human race. now we are certainly still susceptible to like shark attacks and stuff but i think on a mental and emotional and all-around physiological level, yes we are superior.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 2nd, 2010 at 11:47pm
the_black_parader:
we can speak,
We can speak human languages, yes. But most animals can speak, just not our language. A dog barking is a dog speaking, but speaking like a dog. Same for a cat purring, or a guinea pig squeaking or a bird squawking.

It's a very arrogant stance to say we're special because we can speak. Well, yeah, we can speak. But we only speak human languages, not animal ones.

the_black_parader:
learn from our mistakes
Again, this is not exclusive to humans. Other animals have the capacity and intelligence to learn from mistakes, and just learn in general.
the_black_parader
Thinking Happy Thoughts
the_black_parader
February 4th, 2010 at 03:54pm
yes but in the beginning, God created man and gave him dominion over all the animals in the Garden of Eden. its in genesis i think. adam got to name them and everything.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
February 4th, 2010 at 09:22pm
^^ Well, that just depends on your view of religion really..
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 5th, 2010 at 12:38am

I was going to say that as well, but I didn't really want to discount his arguement at the same time...

I'm not religious and I don't believe in God or Adam and Eve. For the sake of arguement, if God says that man has dominion over all animals, can we torture them and use that as an excuse?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 5th, 2010 at 01:22am
the_black_parader:
yes but in the beginning, God created man and gave him dominion over all the animals in the Garden of Eden. its in genesis i think. adam got to name them and everything.
Yeah... if you believe in God.

I don't, so I don't agree with your line of beliefs or thinking. But irrespective of religious views, what you stated before about animals not being able to speak and learn was false.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 5th, 2010 at 06:22am

Yes Mindfuck, I agree too.

Animals may not 'speak' in the sense of using words that we can understand, but they use a whole different means to communicate. We can't roar like a lion that can be heard over miles in order to display dominance. We can't mimick sounds that aren't natural like a parrot. Because we can't communicate like them, doesn't mean that we are superior or inferior in any way.

And in learning from mistakes, that is something that is vital in the animal world.
I remember a while ago I saw an experiment that tested if a goldfish actually has a memory span of 3(?) seconds. They put some goldfish in a tank with a hollowed out rock that they could swim in. They then introduced a model of a fish attatched to a stick that a person could move from above the tank.
First the goldfish were inquisitive, they swam around the new object and 'kissed' it (I couldn't find a better word.) But when the person started to chase the goldfish with it and scare them, they hid in the hollowed out rock. The next day they put the model fish in the tank again. Instead of investigating, the goldfish immediately went to the rock and waited for the model to be removed before they came out again.

The goldfish had learned that the model fish was a potential threat and therefore avoided it. This ensures its survival.
What can we say about humans? We don't learn from mistakes. If we did, we wouldn't have a World War II. Or World War I for that matter. What does that say about us?
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
February 12th, 2010 at 09:21pm
In cognitive intelligence, its humans that are at the top. But thats it.

I would never consider myself "superior" to a less intelligent animal because its the same as saying I'm superior to another human being. eg. Disabled people. Their intelligence isn't normal like a normal human being and maybe even less then that of an animal. Should we classify them as inferior then just because of their intelligence? Or even a stupid person?

I believe humans are advanced beings, but I don't think they should be considered 'superior' over all others.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 14th, 2010 at 11:13pm
I would say that humans are superior to animals, because I think thats the way we were designed. I think humans and animals were created to co-exist and in some cases help one another. (Thats not to say go seek help with your math homework from a cheetah, but with things like seeing-eye dogs, horses being a form of transportation, etc.)

Though being superior does not give us the right to abuse animals. I think every human is called to love and take care of the animals and nature around them. Its our responsibility as superiors. Just like its our parents responsibility to protect us, and care for us, and teach us, so must humans help care for the world around them.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
February 17th, 2010 at 09:42pm
A seeing eye dog and riding a horse is not "animals helping one another." it's humans using OTHER animals (because, as we so often fail to remember, we are animals) to their own end. Just like humans do with everything else, assume it's theirs for the taking.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 18th, 2010 at 05:04pm
But animals and people do so often help one another. I dont know if you've ever met a seeing eye dog, but the dogs chosen for that specific job do love their work. They love their owners and have pride in helping take care of them and recieving their owners love in return.

Once when my brother and my cousin were wrestling, my dog actually started to growl and bark at my cousin because she thought that my brother was being hurt. It was her instinct to protect my brother because she would consider him her "pack" or "family". We didnt teach her to do this. We werent using my dog to protect my brother, she just did it because she genuinally cares for us and we care for her.

Animals most definitely help the humans whom they love. We cant force animals to love us and care for us, just like we cant force ourselves to love them. Sometimes it just happens because people and animals have an emotional connection to eachother.

All of nature is dependent on eachother. Though I do believe that humans were created to be the dominant species, but like I said, that does not give us the right to abuse animals, it gives us the responsibility to take care of them. Whether that means giving a dog a home, or trying to stop species from becoming extinct.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 18th, 2010 at 06:49pm
LunacyFringe:
But animals and people do so often help one another. I dont know if you've ever met a seeing eye dog, but the dogs chosen for that specific job do love their work. They love their owners and have pride in helping take care of them and recieving their owners love in return.
They "love" it because they don't know anything else. They are trained since they are young to be a seeing eye dog, they aren't like that naturally.

The fact that they "love" it (because they've been trained to) has nothing to do with the fact that humans have taken a specific type of dog to train and use for our own services. And I'm not disagreeing with seeing eye dogs, they do help people a lot. But you need to understand that the love it because that's all they know, not just because they're dogs and they love helping people. If they're not trained to be seeing eye dogs, they wouldn't behave like that otherwise.