Evolution and Religion

AuthorMessage
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
April 7th, 2010 at 01:16pm
Lady Gaga:
Why thank you.

We had a priest come in to talk to us the other day and a question came up about whether religious folks treat athiests different because they have different views and I think it all depends on personal opinion.

Same here. But the message I get is that we're supposed to treat others the same, regardless of who they are or what they've done. We're supposed to be kind to our neighbor, regardless of religion, ethnicity, job, ect.

Lady Gaga:
Anyway, to start a completely new thread of argument... which religion is right then? Because I know some people will disagree but the idea of one God is similiar throughout several major religions (I.E Christianity, Islam and Judaism) so why are we (generally?) in disagreement? Who is right?

Since I'm a Christian, I obviously think Christianity is correct, but sometimes I think like maybe all of them are correct? Like, whatever you think is right will happen. Like if you were Hindu, you will get reincarnated, and if you were athiest, nothing will happen to you. You know what I mean?
Last.Night.On.Earth
Bleeding on the Floor
Last.Night.On.Earth
April 7th, 2010 at 03:35pm
Maybe that's so. It's just that I don't understand why, for example, there is such a massive disagreement between Islamist fundamentalists and the rest of the world. They believe (wrongly) that they need to convert the whole world to Islam but nowhere in the Quran(sp?) does it say you have to kill none Islam. I get confused....
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 7th, 2010 at 04:58pm
The Q'uran is and has been used as a tool by Islam extremists, namely the Taliban. Its "founders" have preyed on youngsters in villages who have very little opportunity for an in-depth education in their religion, promising them fame and holiness. They then train them to be what we see them as today, using their lack of education to train them as pawns to further their own sick needs.

here is a short article that touches the subject. There are more.

Sadly, while many jihadists believe that their actions give them that special spot in heaven - you know, with all the virgins - the Q'uran does in fact prohibit suicide for any reason and those who commit the act go to hell.

Islam is supposed to be a peaceful religion, and its misuse is a plague on the nations under its belief system.
Last.Night.On.Earth
Bleeding on the Floor
Last.Night.On.Earth
April 8th, 2010 at 11:21am
I agree that it is "a plague on the nations under its belief system" because then (not by me) but quite a few people tar different religions with the same brush. It's like a lot of people have a suspicion that all muslims are extremists because a minority put out a view for a majority and that's not fair.
But you say it's just youngsters for villages, there have been lots of cases (as in those of the 7/7 attacks on the UK) that the men involved were born in Britain but had been converted to the extremist views while living in england. They will have recieved an education and then been turned...
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 8th, 2010 at 05:39pm
I mean the very beginning, its founders did so. It still happens regularly, but once you start a set of beliefs, it is very easy to convince others when it becomes wider-spread.

Note for the future posters just in case: I said "the misuse of Islam" is a plague, not Islam itself. Wink
SJC21
Killjoy
SJC21
April 11th, 2010 at 01:54pm
I've always been a believer in God but the only thing that I haven't have full belief in is Creation. It's hard to go to school, have science and be told that what you are supposed to believe as a Christian is untrue. Evolution has always made much more sense than God creating the world in 6 days.

Here's an article that I found fascinating http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1200486/The-Genesis-enigma-How-DID-Bible-evolution-life-3-000-years-Darwin.html
lolis12007
Really Not Okay
lolis12007
April 15th, 2010 at 10:01pm
I believe what my religion taught me and what i think is right after i have had it explained to me. Since i am a catholic (not an extremist though) i believe in God creating the universe. Many people take the bible literally which makes it hard for them to find an answer to weather it was Science or God that created the universe. I think god created it and his way of creation is the scientific way that it was created like for example the big band theory god could have caused that as his method of creating the universe. on earth i believe he made tiny particles of living organisms that evolved eventually into us humans. The book of Genesis in the bible is just a way opf telling the story, it has its own ways of being interpreted.
ChloeJayne
Killjoy
ChloeJayne
May 14th, 2010 at 08:17am
Yeah i'm a Christian :]
And happy.
I believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth, and all of us.
I also believe that He sent His son Jesus to die for us, so that we could live a forgiven life :]
LostInWonderland
Killjoy
LostInWonderland
June 10th, 2010 at 02:01am
Green Day:
My question whenever faced with a questioned about creation or evolution is simple:

Did Adam have a naval (belly button)?

This might seem like a pretty redundant or silly question but if you think about it, it really isn't.

If the answer to this question is yes it means that Adam was born and not created. And if he was born like that and God created man in his own image (as is stated several times in the bible) then God must have had a naval too - which means he was born. Thus destroying the idea of creation because if God was born then he couldn't have made everything, could he?

If the answer to the question to the above question is no, then it poses another very simple question. Where did we get ours from? If we all have the same form as Adam (and therefore God), then we shouldn't have a belly button....

xxxx

I love you. This made me laugh so hard. I'm really tempted to show this to one of my super-religious friends, but I know it would piss her off. Anyhoo...

Evolution is supported by science. Creationism, while a valid form of belief if you're into that kind of thing, is not supported by science. Therefore, it should not be taught in a science class. It could be taught in a religion class. Evolution should not be taught in a religion class because it's science; it should be in a science class. What's the issue here? Take the time to learn about the other side before you decide what you believe, and then roll with it. But don't refuse to learn just because you disagree.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 10th, 2010 at 01:58pm
Green Day:
My question whenever faced with a questioned about creation or evolution is simple:

Did Adam have a naval (belly button)?

This might seem like a pretty redundant or silly question but if you think about it, it really isn't.

If the answer to this question is yes it means that Adam was born and not created. And if he was born like that and God created man in his own image (as is stated several times in the bible) then God must have had a naval too - which means he was born. Thus destroying the idea of creation because if God was born then he couldn't have made everything, could he?

If the answer to the question to the above question is no, then it poses another very simple question. Where did we get ours from? If we all have the same form as Adam (and therefore God), then we shouldn't have a belly button....

xxxx

"Having the same form" of something doesn't mean you're a carbon copy. Any creationist (or any theist really) who has a grain of intelligence can tell you that we were quite clearly born from a woman with an umbilical cord, so the removal of that causes the navel. Adam quite obviously was not, so he has none. We were created differently - in the same image, but with different methods.

I am agnostic leaning towards atheism myself, but I would not be so blind as to use that in an argument against Creationism. It is too flawed.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 10th, 2010 at 03:30pm
I just wanted to propose an idea. Growing up in a strict Baptist church, I was taught.......variations at best. One thing I was taught was that 1 day in Heaven in thousands of years in Heaven. So with evaluation can be viewed as it not being the whole 7 days to be taken in the literal sense as we see a 24 hours allot ed period.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
June 10th, 2010 at 05:03pm
My Dear Delirious:
I just wanted to propose an idea. Growing up in a strict Baptist church, I was taught.......variations at best. One thing I was taught was that 1 day in Heaven in thousands of years in Heaven. So with evaluation can be viewed as it not being the whole 7 days to be taken in the literal sense as we see a 24 hours allot ed period.

You mean when God created Earth and what not? Yes, that actually makes a lot of sense. I've never thought of that before.

Right now I don't really care about whether evolution is true or not. I really shouldn't post in the discussion board anyways since my views change all the time Embarassed
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 10th, 2010 at 08:59pm
Eh, so do mine. Don't propose it as "I think this," propose it as "Here's some food for thought." : D
Ruzi
Killjoy
Ruzi
June 23rd, 2010 at 11:12am
One day the science will prove the existence of God, spiritual world, right now we can't understand but things will change. I wonder how many people dreamed about a network called internet around the year 1500, same with the spiritual world, to do good is the new religion.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
June 24th, 2010 at 11:01am
^^ Haha...no it wont. You cant prove the existence of God. God doesnt want you to be able to prove the existence of God. If God can be proven then it takes no faith to believe in him. Christianity is all about faith. Believing in something that cant be seen or touched. If God could be proven then it would be anything special to believe in Him.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 25th, 2010 at 12:07am
Ruzi:
One day the science will prove the existence of God, spiritual world, right now we can't understand but things will change. I wonder how many people dreamed about a network called internet around the year 1500, same with the spiritual world, to do good is the new religion.
Or it might not. You can't really predict these things and say "yes, this will definitely happen".
ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
August 14th, 2010 at 05:18pm
My opinion is that while evolution answers the question of how we came to be, it does not answer why.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 15th, 2010 at 05:17pm
What makes you think we are important enough that we have some special reason? I think many people are just too afraid to be unimportant and insignificant.
ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
August 15th, 2010 at 09:22pm
when I said we, I meant we as living beings, I wasn't excluding animals.
Maybe evolution blindly brought us where we are today, but that is...kind of a bummer.
Being raised as the daughter of a paster, I have discussed this with a variety of people with different opinions, but whatever their beliefs are, they are agree that we were put here for a reason. I'm not saying it was some sort of god, but it gives people hope. We as human beings evolved to a point where we were able to imagine some sort of higher power. Everything about us from our hair to our hormones is connected to evolution, why not our thoughts and feelings?