Don't have an account? Create one!

Evolution and Religion

AuthorMessage
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
February 27th, 2010 at 10:40pm
^^ The Cambrian Explosion for one. A period in the fossil record in which there was an "explosion" of different species appearing all at the same time. Evolution would have no way of explaining why or how this could have occured within Darwin's theory of natural nelection.Though a large amount of separate complex species all appearing at one time would point to species having been created.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
March 2nd, 2010 at 11:28pm

"The Cambrian Explosion is the outcome of changes in environmental factors leading to changes in selective pressures in turn leading to adaptive diversification on a vast scale. By the start of the Cambrian, the large supercontinent Gondwana, comprising all land on Earth, was breaking up into smaller land masses. This increased the area of continental shelf, produced shallow seas, and expanded diversity of environmental niches in which animals could specialize and speciate." Source.

I find this a lot more probable then creation. The Cambrian Explosion is not centrally evidence for Creationism, as Evolution can explain it as well.
Last.Night.On.Earth
Bleeding on the Floor
Last.Night.On.Earth
March 13th, 2010 at 01:28pm
My question whenever faced with a questioned about creation or evolution is simple:

Did Adam have a naval (belly button)?

This might seem like a pretty redundant or silly question but if you think about it, it really isn't.

If the answer to this question is yes it means that Adam was born and not created. And if he was born like that and God created man in his own image (as is stated several times in the bible) then God must have had a naval too - which means he was born. Thus destroying the idea of creation because if God was born then he couldn't have made everything, could he?

If the answer to the question to the above question is no, then it poses another very simple question. Where did we get ours from? If we all have the same form as Adam (and therefore God), then we shouldn't have a belly button....

xxxx
Kurt Coboner.
In the Cannibal Glow
Kurt Coboner.
March 16th, 2010 at 11:30am
i believe in a little bit of both .
it's a tough subject to really understand , but i'm on both sides .
a little more on creation , than evolution .
Ashez1819
Killjoy
Ashez1819
March 16th, 2010 at 05:28pm
We are currently learning about evelution in school and our teacher was saying that a common misunderstanding is that people don't think that a person can't believe in both evelution and God. My biology teacher was telling us that she personally believes in evelution, but if anyone asks her this then they automatically asume that she doesn't believ in God, but this is untrue. Even if a person believes in evelution that doesn't mean that a higher source, being God, could have strarted the whole cycle. This is where I personally stand on the issue.

I am not the most religious person, but my family does attend church once a week or once every other week. I am also very intrested in science. So much like my teacher, yes. I do believe in evolution, small forms of evelution has been proven before, buy I also believen God; I believe that God started the whole process of evelution.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 16th, 2010 at 07:33pm
Plaid Stripes:
i believe in a little bit of both .
it's a tough subject to really understand , but i'm on both sides .
a little more on creation , than evolution .
How can you believe in Creation and Evolution at the same time?

I get that people can believe in God and also back evolution, but isn't the whole point of the Creation story that God created everything as it is today? With evolution there's a process where species evolved and changed over millions and thousands of years. Some people, like the poster above, believe God started off "the whole process", rather than believing Creation.

I don't see how you can believe in Creation, but also evolution. Even if you believe more in Creation.
Last.Night.On.Earth
Bleeding on the Floor
Last.Night.On.Earth
March 25th, 2010 at 05:19pm
Also a point against religion if God is a completely selfless being (a.k.a REALLY nice) why does he need people to get on their knees and worship anyway? Surely he'd be happier just making others happy?
The iPod Murderer
Killjoy
The iPod Murderer
March 29th, 2010 at 03:23pm
Religion is responsible for 99% of all wars currently on Earth. Belief in God isn't the problem, it's the belief in humanity. It is a part of the human condition that everybody lies. Humans lie. And so putting trust or faith in any human being, is like carrying a live bomb. Before you know, you are going to explode.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 29th, 2010 at 06:48pm
The iPod Murderer:
Religion is responsible for 99% of all wars currently on Earth.

I have to say, i think thats pretty ludacris.. although i know you probably didnt mean it literally, you cant just pluck things out like that to prove your point.
The iPod Murderer
Killjoy
The iPod Murderer
March 29th, 2010 at 07:12pm
John St. John:
The iPod Murderer:

I have to say, i think thats pretty ludacris.. although i know you probably didnt mean it literally, you cant just pluck things out like that to prove your point.

No you are definitely right. I was exaggerating. But I guarantee you it accounts for well into the 90's.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 29th, 2010 at 11:02pm
Frank . Iero:
Also a point against religion if God is a completely selfless being (a.k.a REALLY nice) why does he need people to get on their knees and worship anyway? Surely he'd be happier just making others happy?

Probably so people pay him respect because He is, after all, the one that created them. And He believes it's logical to respect those who give you life, and those in your life.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 30th, 2010 at 05:31pm
The iPod Murderer:
John St. John:
The iPod Murderer:

No you are definitely right. I was exaggerating. But I guarantee you it accounts for well into the 90's.

1 (quoted poster). It's spelled ludicrous; you're spelling it like the rapper's name. :/

2. If you're really making that argument, go ahead and take the 3 minutes out of your day to find statistics to that fact rather than making them up off the top of your head.

"Only 7% of all wars were fought over religion. With a little more than half of those involving one religion: Islam. Of the 1,763 wars chronicled in the "Encyclopedia of Wars," 93% of all wars were fought for secular reasons."

That took 30 seconds.
Last.Night.On.Earth
Bleeding on the Floor
Last.Night.On.Earth
April 5th, 2010 at 01:58pm
Horror Show.:
Frank . Iero:

Probably so people pay him respect because He is, after all, the one that created them. And He believes it's logical to respect those who give you life, and those in your life.

I respect my parents - doesn't mean I have to worship them. And who created God? Another big question?????
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
April 6th, 2010 at 06:12pm
Frank . Iero:
Horror Show.:
Frank . Iero:

I respect my parents - doesn't mean I have to worship them. And who created God? Another big question?????

Yes, but if you believe in God, which I know you don't (it doesn't shatter my opinion of you, trust me), it would seem like it would be reasonable to worhip the One who created the earth, the stars, the plants.... ect. Your parents did not create the universe.

And I don't know how God was created. I can't answer that. No one knows.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 6th, 2010 at 07:29pm
Birthday Massacre.:
Yes, but if you believe in God, which I know you don't (it doesn't shatter my opinion of you, trust me)

I am trying to figure out the necessity of this comment.
Jenny.
Jenny.
April 6th, 2010 at 08:04pm
Well it sort of fits in with their argument... They're explaining why it would be reasonable to worship God, if one was a believer in Him. They then comment that they understand that Frank .Iero isn't a believer, and follows that up by reassuring that this does not affect any opinion they have of them? It makes perfect sense to me why they would say that. It's just the natural flow of thought, I guess, or at least that's how my thoughts run, too.

On a modly manner, please watch the quotes and ensure that any future posts edit the older ones out Smile Thank you.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 6th, 2010 at 08:30pm
Well, I caught a lot of snarkiness in there. Obviously if I took it at face value, I wouldn't have said anything.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
April 6th, 2010 at 09:09pm
merlin.:

I am trying to figure out the necessity of this comment.

There's a lot of Christians who won't bother to talk to an athiest or are extremley rude to them just because they don't believe in God. I'm a Christian, and Frank . Iero is one of my friends, but I don't treat her differently because her religious views are different than mine. It doesn't fit in this argument, I know, but I put it there anyway.

Flame Alchemist:

On a modly manner, please watch the quotes and ensure that any future posts edit the older ones out Smile Thank you.

Sorry, I forget to do that sometimes. And yes, that is basically what I meant.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 6th, 2010 at 11:46pm
All right, had to make sure for myself. Thanks for responding.
Last.Night.On.Earth
Bleeding on the Floor
Last.Night.On.Earth
April 7th, 2010 at 12:16pm
Chibi.:

There's a lot of Christians who won't bother to talk to an athiest or are extremley rude to them just because they don't believe in God. I'm a Christian, and Frank . Iero is one of my friends, but I don't treat her differently because her religious views are different than mine. It doesn't fit in this argument, I know, but I put it there anyway.

Why thank you.

We had a priest come in to talk to us the other day and a question came up about whether religious folks treat athiests different because they have different views and I think it all depends on personal opinion.

Anyway, to start a completely new thread of argument... which religion is right then? Because I know some people will disagree but the idea of one God is similiar throughout several major religions (I.E Christianity, Islam and Judaism) so why are we (generally?) in disagreement? Who is right?