Don't have an account? Create one!

The Black Parade ~ Media hype or a real theory?

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 26th, 2008 at 02:42pm
Faye Merci:
Personally, I don't "believe" in the Black Parade. I honestly can't see how people decided to make this into some cult. I mean, it was just a lame dream of Gerard's. It's not a religion, you know? I'm a bit surprised that people took this so seriously.

I don't believe it either. It's just some idea that popped into his head one day. He doesn't have any more clue what happens after death than the rest of us.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 26th, 2008 at 02:44pm
Eponine:
I don't believe it either. It's just some idea that popped into his head one day. He doesn't have any more clue what happens after death than the rest of us.

Exactly. It's one of the reasons I'm athiest. No other man knows better than any other man what happens when we die. So how can we take one man's words as solid gold? It's ridiculous.
temptation.
Shotgun Sinner
temptation.
July 26th, 2008 at 03:24pm
No one came back from Heaven or Hell (if they exist),so he can tell us what is it like to die.
In my opinion,this record is a bit commercial.I don't know why Gerard came up with the idea with that "Black Parade" religion,or whatever it is,but this album was their weakest up to date.I hope that their next record will be a return to Bullets and Revenge. *fingers crossed*
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 26th, 2008 at 03:50pm
This thread isn't about your opinion of the music.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
July 26th, 2008 at 10:46pm
I think the concept of The Black Parade ALBUM is great ( you know centred around the patient etc) but the media have blown it out of preportion a tad. like the after like think what's with that?!?!
Ray said on and interview the idea came from the contradiction of it, like parade are meant to be like a happy, fun place but then a black parade could be something completely different... a funeral parade maybe? i don't know
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 26th, 2008 at 11:01pm
The media can say all they want about MCR and The Black Parade. Sometimes it may seem like they get it 'wrong", and sometimes fans will not agree. I always thought The Black Parade was up for interpretation for anyone to interpret - whether they see it as an 'afterlife' or whether they see it as a 'death cult', or whether they just see it as a fictional concept. And everything else in between.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
July 27th, 2008 at 01:13am

^^
I agree.

Some people are taking it too literally and not stepping back and asking themselves what they think it means.
My Chemical Romance's words are not law. If they say that they think that it will be how someone gets embraced into death, then that is their opinion.
But I think that they want people to interpret for themselves, not follow theirs.
I think it just depends on someones opinion of the whole thing, it's just ridiculous how some people are taking it all so seriously.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
July 27th, 2008 at 02:21am
i think that the media is totally to blame for these rumours but its not as if they made it up out of their heads. now we all know what they're saying is not true but if you look at the lyrics without research or thinking into a deeper meaning, it could esily mean what they are saying. its just that they are not actually looking for symbolism, just the exact words to make a good article. and when you think about it, for newspaper articles the only way they ae ever able to prove something is by quotes. they cant spend pages trying to explain the meaning and symbolism behind lyrics, now that doesnt make what they are doing jstified, its just they are lazy. and also another thing i think is that there have been in an increase in teenage suicides lately and the media need some story on it and someone to blame, even if its not right, they feel they need to put some sense into the suicides. and somehow link them all and make them logical, otherwise people panic, so they pointed the finger at bands like mcr.
as for the black parade, gerard said its not true, he just said that he liked the idea that when you die you revisit your favourite memory from your life, and for the patient it happened to be a parade.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
July 27th, 2008 at 11:22am
Its not really a theory, its more of a story. Its a bit farfetched in alot of ways. The media use this because of all the lyrics in it, and stated in this thread alot that things about death and cancer and all those things, kids wearing black. They're going to assume they're killing themmselves over these things so the media takes that and puts it out there. The protest I think was a load of bollocks because everyone thought they were just whinging teenagers, acting like 5 year olds who just got the their favorite toy teased.

yes, the media overhypes alot of things but I dont think they went that out of control on this matter, and its really not on a huge scale for the world to really give a shit.
The Black Parade is what everyone makes of it. Whether they like the tune or the lyrics.
eveXecstasy
Killjoy
eveXecstasy
July 27th, 2008 at 01:05pm
^ actually the protest showed we werent just whining teens on the net and that we could do something to show were not as sterotypes percieve us.

BUT thats not the point of this thread...

i think i agree with 'lovesick melody' on this topic in the sense that people have taken things ridiculosly seriously and made the simple concept into something way too extreme
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
July 27th, 2008 at 01:54pm
A little bit of information can be a dangerous thing.

I remember years ago when rave music was huge. The whole Madchester - Happy Mondays - Factory Records time. Parents all over the country were terrified if their children were listening to rave music they were obviously taking ecstacy and whatever. "Why no child is safe" headlines were all over the newspapers.

It was all bull.

It was scaremongering from the media.

This whole emo/Black Parade thing is exactly the same in my eyes.
MeckieKaulitz
Killjoy
MeckieKaulitz
August 2nd, 2008 at 10:27am
I read some where that The Black Parade was Mcr's 'egos'. Which makes sense because as the black parade they wear the marching band uniform, and before they thought of the black parade the didnt. So yea.... Im not sure if this makes sense but that's what i think.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 2nd, 2008 at 01:53pm
I think that the Black Parade in some way got somewhat away from there roots, but thats ok, you can't have every album sunding the same and if you like something great if not then do listen to it but don't bother people who do.

Ok, what I believe the Black Parade means if you are talking about the "cult" aspect, in a sense is what we have been saying all along, you know when people say that before someone dies they're life flashes before they're eyes, or when you get a near death experience. So really how is that a cult?

I think people think MCR is a cult because now you see a bunch of kids walking around in a MCR shirt, how many of them look different (example pierced lips, a ton of eyeliner, odd haircut and jeans) so like when my parents see a kid walking around wearing an MCR tee shirt and looking different they think, "oh another person like Ali" but to most people, they look at it and thinks a different very negative understanding, and since most people see the MCR shirt, what else is there to blame, their parents don't want to blame themselves, so obviosouly its what the kids like, and its quite sad we use MCR as a cheap scapegoat.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 2nd, 2008 at 02:03pm
Faye Merci:
Eponine:

Exactly. It's one of the reasons I'm athiest. No other man knows better than any other man what happens when we die. So how can we take one man's words as solid gold? It's ridiculous.
I have to intervine, he's not saying that as a religious statement, just kinda as an analogy. In the bible theres a story of a man getting taken up into heaven on a chariet of fire horses, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it has also been called "a parade of angels" so I somewhat think its that only on a dark note. also I saw (I was only have paying a attention so if Im wrong then don't kill me) that there is this panting, its old and I believe its from the black plague. But when I saw it, it was like the black parade almost, and the get influenced by art and stuff (3 cheers cover was inspired by an ancient greek painting I believe)

But the whole concept of the cd, isnt that when we die we'll go on this dark parade. It's about living your life the most you can till death, or the "darkness" gets you, the whole record, each song is part of a story that just adds more to it, and you can look at it as either A) the patient looking back at his life,m or his life flashing before his eyes before the Black Parade takes him off or B) as he is taken through with the Black Parade that he meets various people from circumstances (Cancer, he meets people who died of diesses, mama dead soldiers, teenagers people who died as a teenager of either school shootings, some sort of violence or suicide)
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 2nd, 2008 at 03:07pm
My Dear Delirious:
[I have to intervine, he's not saying that as a religious statement, just kinda as an analogy. In the bible theres a story of a man getting taken up into heaven on a chariet of fire horses, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it has also been called "a parade of angels" so I somewhat think its that only on a dark note. also I saw (I was only have paying a attention so if Im wrong then don't kill me) that there is this panting, its old and I believe its from the black plague. But when I saw it, it was like the black parade almost, and the get influenced by art and stuff (3 cheers cover was inspired by an ancient greek painting I believe)

Faye wasn't saying that it was a religious statement. Gerard has said before that he thinks that is what happens to you when you die, (death comes for you in the form of your favorite memory) and we where both saying that no one should take his word as law because he has no more clue than the rest of us what happens after you die. Yes it was influenced by art and other things, but mainly it was an idea that just popped into Gerard's head one day.

But the whole concept of the cd, isnt that when we die we'll go on this dark parade. It's about living your life the most you can till death, or the "darkness" gets you, the whole record, each song is part of a story that just adds more to it, and you can look at it as either A) the patient looking back at his life,m or his life flashing before his eyes before the Black Parade takes him off or B) as he is taken through with the Black Parade that he meets various people from circumstances (Cancer, he meets people who died of diesses, mama dead soldiers, teenagers people who died as a teenager of either school shootings, some sort of violence or suicide)

I don't think you can say for sure what the cd means. People interpret it in many different ways, and it means different things to different people. There's no set way to look at it, you can see it however you want to.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 2nd, 2008 at 06:24pm
Eponine:

Faye wasn't saying that it was a religious statement. Gerard has said before that he thinks that is what happens to you when you die, (death comes for you in the form of your favorite memory) and we where both saying that no one should take his word as law because he has no more clue than the rest of us what happens after you die. Yes it was influenced by art and other things, but mainly it was an idea that just popped into Gerard's head one day.

Sorry i thought you guys were talking about the "cult" part of it. I completely agree

Eponine:

I don't think you can say for sure what the cd means. People interpret it in many different ways, and it means different things to different people. There's no set way to look at it, you can see it however you want to.

I was meaning or saying like what they meant to state, it is different for everyone, but the statement that the band was trying to convey was that (and after listening to many MCR interviews about the black parade) the cd might be centered around The Pateint dying but its really trying to state in a dark byt hopeful way, that we aren't guarenteed a tomorrow, or even another second, so we need to live our life to its fullest. Thats why Fear and Regret are the enimies of the black parade, Fear keeps you from doing things and Regret can prevent you from living out your life cause your stuck in one minute, so you need to get on with your life
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 2nd, 2008 at 10:15pm
My Dear Delirious:
I have to intervine, he's not saying that as a religious statement, just kinda as an analogy.

And I never said he was being religious - and I know it was an analogy. Gerard himself says he writes mostly in metaphors. However, I am saying that it's ridiculous for people to take his thoughts seriously as an answer to "what happens when you die?"
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 3rd, 2008 at 12:10am
Faye Merci:

And I never said he was being religious - and I know it was an analogy. Gerard himself says he writes mostly in metaphors. However, I am saying that it's ridiculous for people to take his thoughts seriously as an answer to "what happens when you die?"
Thats what I mean. it is completely and utterly ridiculous that someone would believe the Black Parade, but people do make up made up religions, to them its not made up though. What ever gets people through the day, but there will always people who go over board (which in most cases is a severe understatement)

But not every girl (if you want to call them a teenie or not) says, "OMG, when i die, I want to be with Gerald Wayne on the Black Parade! i fully believe it'll come to me!" cuase I do know a girl who actually said that, and she was boing serious. so it depends on the poeople listening. Like with Hannah Bonds, I am not at all saying she did kill herself because she wanted to jion The Black Parade, or to be a teenie, it was a tradgic thing, that she died, but if she did kill herself because of MCR (which I don't believe that is the reason why) then SHE got the wrong message, MCR never meant to say that, it was the opposite