Don't have an account? Create one!

Should lifestyle affect access to IVF?

AuthorMessage
bat1984
Bleeding on the Floor
bat1984
July 28th, 2008 at 04:07am
I did look and could not find anything on this
Just over a quarter of those polled - most of whom work in the UK - said IVF should be offered to all. Almost half the 186 doctors, nurses and scientists taking part in the survey also believe too many new fertility treatments are being offered to patients without sufficient proof that they work.For those who don't know what IVF is In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) -- Literally means "in glass." In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) – An assisted reproductive technology, IVF involves combining an egg and sperm in a laboratory dish to facilitate fertilization. If fertilization occurs, a limited number of resulting embryos are transferred to the uterus.I don't ovulate so can't conceive naturally. Obesity isn't always bad diet but poor hormones. Why should I be denied the choice to have my OWN child when so many smoking,alcohol drinking,drug taking,bad diet,anything that ruins your body (paid with Taxpayer's money) women have their own kids? Then create a vicious cycle rear kids with bad habits & ignore them. I have a job,a stable relationship,own home,good diet with BMI21,nonsmoker & want MY kids. Yes to adopt but the choice would be nice 1st.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 28th, 2008 at 04:10am
What is IVF?
bat1984
Bleeding on the Floor
bat1984
July 28th, 2008 at 04:11am
An assisted reproductive technique in which fertilization is accomplished outside the body.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 28th, 2008 at 04:34am
I don't see why that should be withheld from anyone unless there are health complications of some sort that would endanger the mother or the baby.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 28th, 2008 at 08:52am
You gave the example of obesity. In reference to Eponine's post above - if a woman is overweight or obese, then that likens the chance of complications with the pregnancy and birth. I guess that would be one reason as to why they may withhold IVF treatment for such people. But still - if they're letting smokers have access to IVF, then that doesn't really make sense because smoking can also cause harm in pregnancy. So I'm not sure....

I'm not saying overweight or obese women cannot have children, don't take it the wrong way. I'm just pointing it out.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 28th, 2008 at 01:23pm
bat1984:
An assisted reproductive technique in which fertilization is accomplished outside the body.

Please include a brief education on "IVF" for us, including hat the acronym stands for, since we are not all familiar with the jargon. You can edit your first post to do this.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
July 28th, 2008 at 03:33pm
i dont think just anyone should be allowed to have ivf myself.
i think that certain checks need to be carried out to ensure that the person they plan on treating is fit to raise a child.
for example, consistent income and no addictions, that sort of thing.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 28th, 2008 at 04:02pm
interpol.:
i think that certain checks need to be carried out to ensure that the person they plan on treating is fit to raise a child.
I somewhat agree. I almost think we should give peoplepermission on whether or not they are allowed to have kids. It would cut child abuse and oversrowding, but that was an almost. I don't believe in what China does, and I realize that its very easy for somethign with all the right intentios can get twisted around and become corrupt.

But if someone has an addiction, they should show how they'd be willing to put their child first, Gerard smokes, would that make him an unfit parent?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
July 28th, 2008 at 04:45pm
interpol.:

There are no checks on people who can get pregnant naturally.
In fact, any idiot can have a child. You have to have a license to own a dog, but nothing for a child.

I'm not sure inconsistent income is a fair factor. My parents were the best parents you could ask for, but for most of my childhood their income was inconsistent.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 28th, 2008 at 07:57pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
In fact, any idiot can have a child. You have to have a license to own a dog, but nothing for a child.

I'm not sure inconsistent income is a fair factor. My parents were the best parents you could ask for, but for most of my childhood their income was inconsistent.
considering how many "unplanned pregnancies" there are, it almost justifies abortions. But people ussually spends more on a child then a dog., but I do think its somewhat stupid you have to have a license to own a dog, but I know people who don't care about the licence and owns a dog anyway.

There is no guarentee that you'll always have a job, layoffs happen frequently, and the rates are growing
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 28th, 2008 at 08:21pm
IVF restrictions should be in place to ensure people do not take advantage of a costly treatment. Going back to obesity, if you're obese and want to apply for IVF I personally don't think access should be given. Why? What's the point in forking out hundreds (in some cases, thousands) of dollars for this treatment if there is a big risk that there will be complications due to the woman's obesity?

You have to remember that with IVF there are complications already, more than a natural pregnancy. So that is why I feel restrictions should be in place.

In terms of income, I don't think it should really matter, unless you are not able to pay for the treatment (although depending on what country you're in, you may get government assistance).
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 28th, 2008 at 08:38pm
Mindfuck:
IVF restrictions should be in place to ensure people do not take advantage of a costly treatment. Going back to obesity, if you're obese and want to apply for IVF I personally don't think access should be given. Why? What's the point in forking out hundreds (in some cases, thousands) of dollars for this treatment if there is a big risk that there will be complications due to the woman's obesity?

You have to remember that with IVF there are complications already, more than a natural pregnancy. So that is why I feel restrictions should be in place.

In terms of income, I don't think it should really matter, unless you are not able to pay for the treatment (although depending on what country you're in, you may get government assistance).

But don't you think it depends on the obesity of the woman? A close friend of my mom's is considered obese, but she works out and eats healthy. She's just not made to be thin. But she's healthier than my mom, who is a very slim 130 pounds but smokes, doesn't work out, and doesn't eat healthy. In terms of pregnancy, I think the obese woman would make a better mother than my mom. So I think each case of obesity should be closely examined.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 28th, 2008 at 10:01pm
^I was talking about the physical risks of being obese while pregnant in general. I'm not saying normal sized and thin women make better mothers. That's not what I was saying.

Medically, if a woman has a lot of fat on her body (not just a normal amount of fat, I'm talking about 'obese' amount of fat) then that furthers the complications with the pregnancy. The point I was making was that - what is the point of going into an expensive treatment which already has its own complications, if the person themselves brings complications to the pregnancy? I know that there are obese women who do give birth to healthy babies, but I'm talking about risk factors. I agree every case is different.

Obviously, there are going to be a few women like your mother's friend, and I agree that each case should be treated individually.
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
July 29th, 2008 at 06:15am
For people who have been working all their life and paying their national insurnace contributions and tax etc, I don't see why they should be denied any treatment because they smoke or are overweight. As long as it is explained before that these things could potetially make the treatment less successful, they can then make the choice of changing their lifestyle before going through with it.

I'm sure people who want children but aren't able to have them naturally would be willing to make those sorts of lifestyle changes to help increase their chances. You are only allowed a certain amount of tries at IVF anyway (in the UK anyway).

I'd be pretty annoyed if I was ever denied any sort of treatment based on the way I choose to live my life, I've been contributing, and I think it's my right to have complete access to it. I don't think anyone has the right to tell you in which way to live your life, and then deny you something because you won't change.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 29th, 2008 at 07:01am
But surely if you are a smoker, and "won't change" (as you put it), then you should be expected to be told, when applying for IVF, that smoking is harmful to the pregnancy?

Why put a substantial amount of money into a treatment if your just going to smoke throughout it? To me, I think those people who are unwilling to change habits should be denied the right to IVF.
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
July 29th, 2008 at 07:14am
^ I meant to say that, did I not say that? Yes, they should be told that puts the success of the treatment and pregnancy at risk, but that should still be their choice to make, they shouldn't be denied the treatment on the basis they smoke.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 29th, 2008 at 07:19am
If they aren't denied IVF treatment, and they still smoke throughout it, then I should hope they realise risk they are taking both physically and financially.

But surely someone who needs IVF would not be so selfish.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
July 29th, 2008 at 03:39pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
interpol.:

that is true, but i think when possible, surely it's beneficial to check?
theres kids growing up in terrible enviroments because there was no way to check it, and if it can be avoided, wouldnt it make sense to do so?
i think im trailing away from the top now. "/
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
July 30th, 2008 at 06:30am
interpol.:

that is true, but i think when possible, surely it's beneficial to check?
theres kids growing up in terrible enviroments because there was no way to check it, and if it can be avoided, wouldnt it make sense to do so?
i think im trailing away from the top now. "/

So there are restrictions if you have trouble to conceive but not if you are able to get pregnant naturally? As I said before, any idiot can have a child. Those people who drink, smoke, take drugs or whatever can have a child if they wish, but if you are willing to put yourself though the whole IVF process in a desperate plea to become pregnant, your choice of life is scrutinised. How does that seem fair?

Of course there are lots of unsuitable parents in the world but saying that there should be checks on people before they get pregnant smacks of facism. There is something really wrong when the state is playing God, telling you you're too fat to be allowed to have a baby. What's next? You're a bit too ugly? or sorry, you're not intelligent enough? And why stop there? Lets wipe out disabilities and different races? The whole idea of it is utterly abhorrent to me.

Just because someone is obese or a smoker that doesn't mean they wouldnt be amazing parents. If there is a health risk then sure that is a decision they should take themselves. I would hate to think that if I was ever in a position to require IVF that some jumped up hosiptal clerk would stop me from being allowed to have treatment and therefore becoming a parent because I dont fit their criteria.

In the UK (as someome mentioned earlier) there is a limit to the times you can try IVF, but if someone has paid national insurance and taxes all their life they should be entitlted to that treatment. We are so lucky in the UK to have the NHS, but as soon as they start limiting treatments based on those factors the whole system fails.
bat1984
Bleeding on the Floor
bat1984
July 30th, 2008 at 08:13am
That what happened to me I'm over weight due poor hormones so I can't have IVF I eat healthily I don't smoke you get two treatments of IVF