Don't have an account? Create one!

First Black President of The United States of America

AuthorMessage
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 13th, 2008 at 08:42pm
And if I may, there are a lot of people with black skin who *hate* the term "African-American" because they are not of African descent. They are from Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and so on -- so to them, to call every person with black skin "African" is offensive.

I realize that Obama's background is African; however, I did just want to throw that out there.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
December 13th, 2008 at 10:44pm
^ Wow, I can't believe I completely forgot about that...

but that's true, about Obama's background, and I believe he goes more by African-American than black. Amazing how those two have been completely interchangable though...
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 15th, 2008 at 03:10am
tabitha:
And if I may, there are a lot of people with black skin who *hate* the term "African-American" because they are not of African descent. They are from Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and so on -- so to them, to call every person with black skin "African" is offensive.

I realize that Obama's background is African; however, I did just want to throw that out there.
All black people are descended from Africa, including the ones in Caribbean and South American nations. I see why they would take offense at being called African-American if they're not citizens of this country. Of course, that's more to do with ethnicity than race.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
December 15th, 2008 at 11:44am
exile in guyville;:
All black people are descended from Africa, including the ones in Caribbean and South American nations. I see why they would take offense at being called African-American if they're not citizens of this country. Of course, that's more to do with ethnicity than race.
that's not true. The indigenous Australians are not of African descent.
Plus, this needs to be back on topic.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 15th, 2008 at 01:27pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
that's not true. The indigenous Australians are not of African descent.

Plus, this needs to be back on topic.
When I say black, I mean people of sub-Saharan African descent, people in the so-called "negroid" race (I think that term is outdated now). The classification of Aboriginals as "black" is based on superficial phenotypes. They're better classified as Australoid.

Sorry for sidetracking, though.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 15th, 2008 at 01:39pm
So, anyways, it's remarkable to see all the people who've been inspired by his election. People who could not care less about politics four years ago were standing outside for hours and hours to cast a vote. Especially the youth.

I just hope these people stay invested in politics. I can't help but wonder if some of these kids wearing Barack Obama shirts have any interest in how he governs. I think anyone who treats supporting Obama as a fashion statement and nothing more doesn't deserve to wear any of that merch. This is much more than a gimmick.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 15th, 2008 at 01:57pm
exile in guyville;:
People who could not care less about politics four years ago were standing outside for hours and hours to cast a vote. Especially the youth. I just hope these people stay invested in politics. I can't help but wonder if some of these kids wearing Barack Obama shirts have any interest in how he governs.
Yes, this is a landmark election for sure, but to be honest, I think the turnout was more about being eager for W to leave Office than it was about either Obama or McCain.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 15th, 2008 at 02:03pm
Yeah, that was definitely a big part of it too.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 17th, 2008 at 07:31am
Deb:
Yes, this is a landmark election for sure, but to be honest, I think the turnout was more about being eager for W to leave Office than it was about either Obama or McCain.

Not only that, but I think what Obama had going for him was that said from day 1 that he would not follow Bush's examples, whereas McCain began his campaign as Bush is doing a great job and I want to keep what he started going, and didn't change his campaign until the end when the backlash against Bush finally caught up with him.

The people wanted to know that the next president is going to look at things from all angles instead of just following the status quo. Obama promised change, and change is what the people want.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
March 2nd, 2009 at 10:18pm
OBAMA!!!!!!

YES WE DID!!!!!!!!

I actually am American so his presidency effects me more than some of the other people on this website. I'm not saying it doesn't effect them, since unfortunately The United States seems to practically control what happens around the world. Anyway, I live in the rural "bible belt" part of Virginia, so I am surrounded by rednecks, and I am one of the only Democrats here. I believe he will helo change America for the better.
stella spotlight!
Joining The Black Parade
stella spotlight!
March 9th, 2009 at 06:07pm
for the first time in eight years, i feel proud to be an american.

i live in a teeny little hick town thats 90% republican, so i wore my yes we can shirt to school nov. 5 and pissed so many people off...

gobama!
Eddie the Ripper
Killjoy
Eddie the Ripper
March 15th, 2009 at 01:52pm
he is waaayyyy better than George Bush!
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
June 14th, 2009 at 06:00pm
I stayed up all night to watch the election. I knew that if he lost then we would be screwed. I was so nervous. I finally went to the bathroom for the first time that night. As soon as I closed the door, my parents came banging on it and yelling in joy that he won. That sucked. I spent all night watching, and when I finally leave momentarily, he wins. I missed the greatest moment in American history.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
June 14th, 2009 at 06:02pm
Eddie the Ripper:
he is waaayyyy better than George Bush!

Naahh Reallly? I had no idea? Come on he is the greatest president we ever had, and it's only been a few months!
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 14th, 2009 at 06:14pm
xxZalanortxx:

Naahh Reallly? I had no idea? Come on he is the greatest president we ever had, and it's only been a few months!

Im not american, So I could be wrong, but he hasnt really had that much time to really do much yet has he? i think it's too soon to be making a claim like that :/
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
June 14th, 2009 at 09:02pm
Yes you are correct, he hasn't had much time to do anything, but it sounds like he has some good plans. I wouldn't go so far as to claim that Obama is the greatest president we've ever had, but its definitely an improvement from Bush, I'm so glad the Republicans aren't controlling the office anymore. And, even if Obama turns out not to be as great as we thought, at least we have a president now that doesn't sound like a complete tool everytime he opens his mouth Very Happy
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 14th, 2009 at 09:50pm
^ While I don't agree with the Republicans on many issues, I do think that the country should be a bit more fiscally conservative. 1 trillion+ in bailouts? Much of it to sinking companies? I think that part should have been cut out, especially if they are not saying what they are doing with it. I have to agree with the Republicans on one more issue though-- Obama's plans will leave the country in debt, if only because people cannot agree about how to pay them back. All and all, I'm a supporter of Obama's pursuit of "an ideal world", and I think his vision will eventually lead the US into a better direction.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
June 14th, 2009 at 11:08pm
xxZalanortxx:
Do you even know about the ghosts of presidents past? Obama hasn't even been in office that long. There are plenty other presidents that have done very great things for our country.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 15th, 2009 at 08:04am
yeah I agree. Obamas been great for a morale boost, and i'm sure he will do great things, but he wouldn't be the first president to be celebrated like this only for it to all go wrong, look up Herbert Hoover for example.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 15th, 2009 at 08:22am
I'm behind Obama 100%. I don't know what it is exactly about him, but I really believe in him. I think he's doing well so far and will keep doing well.