Don't have an account? Create one!

First Black President of The United States of America

AuthorMessage
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
November 6th, 2008 at 07:42pm
i dont think the majority of people who voted for Obama voted for him just because hes black. He was just the better choice. besides, Palin scares the crap out of me. if i was american, i definately would have voted Obama.
the fact that hes the first african american president is just an added bonus and its pretty awesome to be alive to witness this happening.

the only thing I'll miss about Bush is Jay Leno making jokes about him. Tongue
Cereal Killer
Banned
Cereal Killer
November 6th, 2008 at 09:26pm
black.:
I didnt like either canidates, and im not afraid to admit it. I am not racist . I didn't care for McCain either, I stayed indeprendant throughout the whole race. It wasn't them, it was the ideas that I didnt like.

So- to get a real discussion going.
If someone does not like Obama, should they be considered racist?

Absolutely not! People shouldn't vote for someone just because they're black, but because they've got ideas and stuff.

And I didn't like either canidate too.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 7th, 2008 at 08:50pm
The thing about people voting for him just because he's black is that it's completely understandable. Blacks in America where oppressed for so long that a lot of people (that I know at least) thought that a chance like that to have a black president wouldn't come around again soon, that it was either now or wait another hundred years. It's something that black people have waited a long time for, so I can't blame people for voting for him just because he's black.
I don't think that's why he won though. I think there where more people not voting for him because he's black than people voting for him because he's black.

Also if someone told me they didn't like Obama, depending on how they say it and what facts they use to back up their argument, I might consider them racist. I mean if they explain that they don't like the policies he's proposed, then no, but obviosly someone who says they don't like him because he's a muslim/terrorist/black I'm gunna think they are racist.

What I consider to be one of the best things about Obama, disregarding his positions on topics, is that he really inspires people to do more. The number of people who got up and volunteered for him is amazing. (I'm proud to say I was one of those) I also think Obama really knows what it's like to be a normal american citizen. McCain always seemed so out of touch with the issues that faced real people. He didn't seem to understand how hard life is for a lot of people in this country. Obama just seems to get it. He seems like a real person, who really cares about his country and his fellow citizens.
xXIero.ticXx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xXIero.ticXx
November 8th, 2008 at 05:15pm
I'm err...black, and American, so I guess I apply to both ends of the topic.

tbh, i'm glad he won.

It makes me squirm a bit that Bush is getting bashed so much, because i'm also a Texan.

Now sure, some of the choices made in the last 8 years were his fault.

But I think people forget that Congress has the ability to either muscle him in or out of certain major decisions. Bush wasn't responsible for everything--for insance, greedy stockbrokers are mostly to blame for the economy's current state.

The only true thing i'm unhappy about regarding Bush, other than the war, is that now everyone thinks all Texans are stupid and incompetent. (Russell Brand needs to step in front of a bus.)

Oh! sorry...off topic for a second.

But...i'm very glad Obama won. I don't think very many people voted for him solely because of race.

I wouldn't have, if i could vote.

Obama was the better spoken, better prepared, more relatable candidate--even if i disagreed with some of his stances, and it's a shame that his victory is now bringing some people's true opinions to light.

Such as saying "oh, he'll get shot," and laughing about it. Sure, it's an unfortunate possibility, but it's nothing to joke about when you have people counting on this man to help them keep their houses and jobs....or afford health care and medication.

It's also REALLY nothing to joke about when my younger brother and I have to worry while walking home from school that some bigoted idiot will take his anger out on us because McCain lost and an "(N-word) is president now".

[/slight rant]
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
November 9th, 2008 at 04:48pm
It makes me squirm a bit that Bush is getting bashed so much, because I'm also a Texan.

Don't worry about that for a second. Most people knows better than that. That is, while I think that Bush was the worst president ever just barely elected, I wouldn't point my fingers to everyone in a state just cause he's from that state.
Congratulations USA! ^^ I truly think you made the right choice, and it felt nice and fuzzy waking up that morning and seeing so many countries praising the new president. I know expectations are high, but just the fact that so many countries are willing to start a dialogue is just fantastic!
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
November 9th, 2008 at 06:07pm
I honestly think that while he was the better of the two, he can't do all that he promises. maIt's all going to crash around him. He says he'll make gas prices lower? But he can't force big companies like Exon to lower their prices. He plans on giving money towards welfare, but what good does that do? It just gives the people on welfare who don't work, who don't attempt to do something, and act like government sponges more of a reason to NOT work and get on with their life and just live on the government for the rest of their lives.

But hey, that's just my views. Honestly, they both didn't have good policies to offer, in my opinion. I only wanted Obama so I didn't have to deal with Sarah Palin.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 10th, 2008 at 10:00pm
^I think that once he gets in office he's got a lot of fixing things to do. Obviously with the state the country's in he can't do everything that he wants too. I think it's good though, that he does care so much about ordinary people and that he want's to help. It always seemed like McCain had a 'screw them' attitude.
fancy pirouettes.
Awake and Unafraid
fancy pirouettes.
November 11th, 2008 at 11:23pm
gnihsams snikpmup.:

But hey, that's just my views. Honestly, they both didn't have good policies to offer, in my opinion. I only wanted Obama so I didn't have to deal with Sarah Palin.
I think that's what a lot people did. They only voted for Obama so we wouldn't get Palin. If we got McCain ( who I have nothing against) and Sarah Palin (Who I do have a lot against) I would be begging my mother to let me move to Canada or England.

Anyways,
I am very glad Obama won. Although he can't do all the things he says he will I, personally, liked him better than McCain. While I do think there are some people that voted for him because he was black, I think most people didn't because I noticed that as the whole 'Obama is black that's the only reason you are voting for him' thing was used against his supporters, people actually took to the time to research want he wanted to do as a president and his policies and actually found him in better position to run the country than McCain.

And really neither candidate had many major differences between each other that I saw. McCain's biggest mistake (and the one thing that bumped up Obama) was Palin and if he had picked another person, a better qualified person for that matter, the election would have been much closer than it actually was.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
November 17th, 2008 at 09:51am
I think that he will have a lot to live up to, he's the first black president people are going to be expecting a lot from him, a lot of change.
I think that he will bring something fresh to the world, a different perspective. I think he has a lot to offer but it depends if people are going to let him.

I hope that the rest of the world's media will respect him and not judge him on the colour of his skin.

I hope that he will stick to his promise to withdraw troops from the conflict in Iraq, i think he will try to but it's easier said then done.

I think that a lot of people didn't vote for John M because they didn't want Sarah P, however I do like her and think that over here in Britain she got loads of bad press and i have seen a lot of sexist comments about her. I remember reading one paper that said "She's like a terrier in a skirt" I thought that that was a cheap shot to compare her to a dog.

As for John M I think that he was a warmonger and I'm glad he isn't in power.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 17th, 2008 at 10:43pm
I found many problems with both canidates, and, [please do not kill me, INOers,] am personally NOT glad that Barak Obama is going to be our next president. I know there are jaws dropping a I say this now, by my only consolation is that you'll all be eating your words in 4 years. [Sorry. That came off snippy and I didn't mean to be,] The thing is, a lot of people, or at least a lot of people I know, voted for him while overlooking some of the points that he didn't mention in his speeches. I'm prolife, but I'm not going to bring that into the disscussion at the moment.
He publically said he'd try not to raise taxes for those making less than 250,000, but he VOTED to raise taxes for those making as little as 44,000. What kind of president did we elect?
I agree with ^ on the fact that McCain lost partly because of people disliking Palin, and I don't personally think that's fair.
To me, at least, race didn't have MUCH to do with this election, although my friend's sister got called a rasist for having a McCain/Palin sticker on her car.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
November 18th, 2008 at 12:01am
Well, I'm glad Obama won. Its nice to have someone different this time. His victory speech was very touching.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 18th, 2008 at 07:39am
No president is going to be perfect. I voted for Obama even though I disagree with a few of his policies but on the whole he was the better candidate for the things I considered to be the most important at this time. Maybe 4 or 8 years ago I may have voted based on abortion, equal rights, rights for gay marriage; but this election I voted based on the economy and the war in Iraq. I truly feel the two are strongly correlated; end the war in Iraq and our government has 10 billion more a month to put back into our economy. Our education system is on the brink of collapse and with the holidays coming as a supervisor of an after-school program nearly half my parents have approached me asking if I know of any services they can use to make sure they can afford a few gifts under the tree and a good Christmas dinner, because the money just isn't there.

Until we are able to take care of our own people, our own children and our own elderly are fed and have health care, until our own disabled people are matched with surgeons who can help them, and so on; until our own country is cared for, 10 billion dollars a month could go a long way right here at home.

And don't even get me started on how many soldiers have died in this war.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 18th, 2008 at 03:06pm
^ I'd like to say that I agree with you on this point 100%; pulling out the troops, that is. Soldiers are dying, and we need the money, here, now. Our population is suffering. A couple years ago, I was absolutly shocked to see a man with a duffel bag begging for money on a street corner, now, everyone who can drive in my family, myself included, carries a McDonald's coupon book in their car to hand out to those who need meals. [My book is half-empty and I just got my license 5 months ago.]
Dir-en-grey
Joining The Black Parade
Dir-en-grey
November 19th, 2008 at 12:37pm
Im extreamly happy that he won. Woohoo first black president! I dont know what he's going to do but im excited because I know there's going to be change.
creameggsandcheese
Killjoy
creameggsandcheese
November 26th, 2008 at 03:14pm
I have nothing agaisnt blacks, but Obama isn't black... He's mixed. People need to stop saying he's our first black pres. He's NOT.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
November 26th, 2008 at 06:54pm
i really hope Obama is gonna be a great change for America. i like him a lot.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 5th, 2008 at 11:36am
While I'm elated that we've elected a black man president, some people are touting it as the end of American racism. No. Not by any means.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
December 5th, 2008 at 07:26pm
creameggsandcheese:
I have nothing agaisnt blacks, but Obama isn't black... He's mixed. People need to stop saying he's our first black pres. He's NOT.

Alright than fine. The first partially black president.
It's still huge seeing as there's never been a president of any race other than Caucasian. He is considered black mostly because of how he looks. Generally when someone is mixed they are identified by the race that is not white. Black/white most people would consider black. Asian/white most would consider them asian. Especially if they do not necessarily 'look' mixed. He also considers himself to be black. My friend has a black grandfather, technically she's mixed, but she considers herself a Caucasian.
Meeshell
Awake and Unafraid
Meeshell
December 8th, 2008 at 04:56pm
Just a sort of stray, yet not spamming, comment, I saw a comment on the first page stating that blacks (or african americans) only made up 11% of the population, and I may be wrong, I don't know, but that seems like a bit of a low number to me. Which isn't completely relevant; just saying.

To be more on-topic, I'm elated at the Obama/Biden win. I think that he presented excellent points during his campaign, and after reading his 2nd book, The Audacity of Hope, I gained even more faith in his honesty and his intelligence. To One Thousand Oceans, yes, Obama may have voted for tax hikes for those who make 44 grand a year, but at the time, he wasnt in the position of power than he's currently in. With the war in Iraq and the current economic situation in America, our debt has risen to above 20 trillion, so yes, our government does need money. I dont necessarily agree with how we spend our government funds, but thats beside the point. The point is that i believe that Obama now has the power and the resources to at least inspire Americans to be smarter with their money and improve the current economic conditions, making it possible to only raise taxes for certain groups, like he said in his campaign.

I trust him.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 11th, 2008 at 08:35pm
creameggsandcheese:
Many people with a biracial background identify as black. Honestly, most African-Americans have a significant amount of European blood in them.