Don't have an account? Create one!

The Paranormal

AuthorMessage
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 12th, 2010 at 12:34am
First of all a definition:

Paranormal: (Psychology) (Spirituality, New Age, Astrology & Self-help / Alternative Belief Systems) beyond normal explanation
n
(Psychology) (Spirituality, New Age, Astrology & Self-help / Alternative Belief Systems) the. paranormal happenings generally

Of course, religion will undoubtedly pop up in discussion. So please don't be a bigot. Allow people to share their views etc.

Discuss.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 12th, 2010 at 01:32am
As the one who brought up this topic, do you have any points for us to start on?
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 12th, 2010 at 03:17am
Sure do!

Demons, ghosts and the like: I'm unsure, possession (of a demonic variety) seems fairly legitimate. I consider myself a christian, though an open minded one. So i believe that it is possible for a evil "spirit" to inhabit another persons physical being. I wont go into detail in my psychedelic experiences, but i will say that some things i saw were too real to be a mere hallucination.

Mythical Beings: Meh, innocent until proven guilty tbh.
yoseob.
Bleeding on the Floor
yoseob.
April 13th, 2010 at 05:35am
Well, I don't believe there is an afterlife, as no one had been there to prove that there is.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 13th, 2010 at 06:08am
...Actually, could we maybe take the afterlife portion from your post, Daft? We have several religious-tangent threads and I worry that the rest of your points may be ignored in favor of that portion, which is easier to discuss and more emotionallt-charged for some.
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 13th, 2010 at 08:37pm
Sure can, will have to make a new thread in that case. unless you use your amin superpowers to rename the topic =)
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 14th, 2010 at 12:28am
I just took that "afterlife" portion of your last post out; should be good now. : D
lolis12007
Really Not Okay
lolis12007
April 14th, 2010 at 10:12pm
well i do believe in paranormal beings and activity. how spirits roam the world after they die and are here because of some unfinished business.

Also about how they can take over a person's body and how they can cause physical attack and emotional on someone. I also believe that all paranormal things are not evil, although scary. I would die if i ever experienced anything paranormal.
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 15th, 2010 at 03:17am
Why ALWAYS scary. Possibly a good/evil balance?
lolis12007
Really Not Okay
lolis12007
April 15th, 2010 at 09:55pm
Well I am a huge scardy cat i get scared easily for things that i shouldnt be scared of that is why its scary for paranormal things to happen to me. I meant scary for me not as something evil and freaky. I think that there is a balance between Good/Evil paranormal experiences, for example miracles. I believe in God (i'm catholic) and I believe that his iracles are paranormal activity.
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 22nd, 2010 at 04:28am
I am also christian (by definition that i believe Jesus is my savior and died to repent for the sins of humanity) but have read many deviant books upon the supernatural/paranormal. It's out there as far as i know
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
April 24th, 2010 at 11:36pm
Ghosts/hauntings don't have to contradict religion. If it all exists, it's just something that science hasn't been able to explain yet. "Magic" is just the old fashioned word for magnetism, sleight of hand, electricity..."dragons" are just the old word for dinosaurs. The cyclops was just a myth sprung from elephant skulls. "Sea monsters" are just the old words for giant squids and whales. Everything that is unexplainable seems mysterious and interesting until we explain it, and then it just becomes part of the mundane.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
April 25th, 2010 at 09:34am
I don't believe in the paranormal. It makes for great fictional concepts and films, and I adore it as a sub-genre of horror, but in real life? Nah. All sorts of unexplained things and coincidences and things like that happen, but I think we seem to jump to the paranormal explanation too quickly. I'd like to think that there are good forces out there, that incarnations of our deceased loved ones could visit us, etc. but it just doesn't make logical sense to me.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
April 25th, 2010 at 03:32pm
Alexface.:
I don't believe in the paranormal. It makes for great fictional concepts and films, and I adore it as a sub-genre of horror, but in real life? Nah. All sorts of unexplained things and coincidences and things like that happen, but I think we seem to jump to the paranormal explanation too quickly. I'd like to think that there are good forces out there, that incarnations of our deceased loved ones could visit us, etc. but it just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Well, for the sake of conversation, why not?
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 6th, 2010 at 01:47pm
Well, as for the deceased haunting people and that sort of thing, I believe that when you die, you die. Memories of the person can remain, of course, but nothing (apart from that) of that person will be living anymore, the way I see it. Maybe the fact I don't believe in the paranormal is simply because I'm an atheist, and seeing as I don't believe in God or the devil, I don't believe in good spirits or demons.
SweetRevenge1992
Salute You in Your Grave
SweetRevenge1992
July 4th, 2010 at 12:46am
I totally believe in ghosts and all that stuff. I've peronally had some really strange, unexplainable experiences around my house before.
VoodooDolly
Killjoy
VoodooDolly
September 27th, 2010 at 05:08pm
Thought this was a cool thread, so might be worth bring back. Apologies if it should not be.

I work in a paranormal bookshop, curate a paranormal museum and moonlight as a paranormal investigator. I've witnessed some pretty bizarre things in my time, some of which turned out to have normal explanations and some which defy scientific reasoning altogether.

I've seen objects move of their own accord, seen full bodied apparitions walk into walls, disappear. I've heard voices in empty buildings and been touched by invisible hands. There's definitely something more to this life than what we can see or measure (in my view).
emiliiERASE
Killjoy
emiliiERASE
September 29th, 2010 at 05:49am
I'm what we call a "paranormal investigator." I write articles on the paranormal (my main points always include UFOs, EBEs and ghosts).

If any of you need support with ANYTHING paranormal, let me know.

I have heaps of stories about being touched/punched/yelled at by spirits if anybody is interested.
littlejeka
Generation Nothing
littlejeka
September 30th, 2010 at 12:47am
I agree, I also have had some expierences with ghosts. Around where I used to live, there would be stories of ghosts. I've seen doors open and close without explanation. I also have heard voices, mind you inside and outside. I'm positive that there was nowhere around me, not to mention that I'm not crazy. I do believe in ghosts and all of the paranormal. I have no explanation for any of these kinds of things. I don't even know if there is an afterlife but what I heard made me question a lot of things. My family also have expierence ghosts in the house where i used to live. Like footsteps on stairs, babies crying, children on the roof, and children playing outside. I'm agnostic and I postively believe in ghosts.
VoodooDolly
Killjoy
VoodooDolly
September 30th, 2010 at 01:07pm
It's always interesting to me when non-religious people believe in ghosts. Some people assume you have to believe in god to believe in ghosts but I disagree. Heaven, hell and god don't necessarily have to be involved in order to have an "afterlife". Agnostics and Atheists believe that life exists simply by nature alone. Why is it so challenging to believe that life continues to exist by nature alone in a different way after the physical body decomposes?

I see our lives (our consciousness) as sound waves. Our fleshly bodies are the radio through which it plays. But just because you smash the radio and bury it, doesn't mean the sound waves stop existing They're still out there floating in the air. Maybe they go to another radio (reincarnation) or maybe they find a new way of playing their sound altogether.