Don't have an account? Create one!

Education

AuthorMessage
Fearless to fly
Killjoy
Fearless to fly
December 14th, 2006 at 07:57am
I think education is very important. Some of you say that we don't need to learn Algebra for example, but why not? Well, some of the students do not understand it, but there are ones, who do, aren't there?
Here, in Bulgaria, we learn everything really detailed and may be that's not right. I mean, we should know something about all the kinds of things, which we'll meet in "the real life", but not everything... However, school's good. I don't think I would like to read something in psychology, for example, if I hadn't learn Psychology in school. I think school's the best place to find out what you want to do with your life, the right place to find your vocation Smile
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
December 14th, 2006 at 12:06pm
I think it's good to have it to provide for your family in the future.
MusicalMueth
Killjoy
MusicalMueth
December 14th, 2006 at 12:39pm
Without college educations, there would be no doctors when we were sick. There would be no lawyers when we got in a car crash. There would be no pharmacists to get our medicine. We depend on educated people every day, and they deserve more credit. College is DEFINITELY in my future, and VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. I won't be able to get where I want to be if I don't go to college. If people want to say, "school is stupid. let's skip it." let them ruin their lives. it's their choice not ours.
Alfred.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alfred.
December 15th, 2006 at 08:17pm
I believe education is important. There are other ways of getting educated, other than school. I believe life itself (sp?) is education. I just wanted to clarify that. Education can be fun.
i pee in the shower
Killjoy
i pee in the shower
January 6th, 2007 at 03:01pm
I think that education is important and I aim to get the highest I possibly can. The thing that really bugs me is that people say it is a waste of time, there are some people in the world who would love to be educated but simply can't afford it so we should really be grateful that we have the chance.
dirty_babe
Killjoy
dirty_babe
January 6th, 2007 at 08:57pm
A good education, in my opinion, is one of the most important things you can ever have. You can be as strong, as fast, as big as you want, but if you've got a good brain; you've got more respect than the three combined.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 7th, 2007 at 03:22am
Some people in under built countries, would give anything to have an education, but they can't afford it. but people here, who get a free education skip school and do things to get themselves expelled on purpose.
Education is one of the most important things you'lll ever recieve.
But some people just don't deserve it. Sure, it seems like we don't need some of it, we proberly don't. But just knowing these things could come in useful oneday, and if not, you would die a knowledgable person.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 7th, 2007 at 09:46pm
So many people in well developed countries take education for granted. I believe that how a person values their education is based on the values they have been taught and what kind of family a person comes from. I'm not rich and I value education becuase I want a well paying and enjoyable job. Other people don't give a damn...to them other things are more important.

It's a balance though. We don't need every person to have a post-secondary degree. We need taxi drivers and delivery guys and people to make us fries at Maccas. We just don't value them. They bust their guts out and get hardly any recognition or pay. It's sad and I'm off the topic.
Murder Magician.
Jazz Hands
Murder Magician.
January 8th, 2007 at 03:47am
for a person who is really strict with education and doing well, it really annoys me that those who have money can afford a better education than those who don't and have to send their children to schools that are disadvantaged because of poorer facilities or curriculum.
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
January 8th, 2007 at 04:04am
I often think we don't really learn in school, we memorize. We go to Algebra 1 and memorize ways to awnser problems, we go to English and memorize transition phrases. So, school only increases this shallow interpretation of knowledge.
bleedingjapanese
Killjoy
bleedingjapanese
January 10th, 2007 at 07:41pm
really all we do is learn how to take tests
Disturbia
Salute You in Your Grave
Disturbia
April 10th, 2007 at 04:31pm
I think education is terribly important. I dont take my learning for granted and make the best of it, Only 'cause children in poorer parts of the world cant go to school and i really pity them because i feel very privelliged to go to school, and i wish people would see that in my ppoint of view, and yes it may be boring, but make the most of it, and you will end up with a wonderful job!

Without collage,school and even University we wouldnt have doctors,fifemen,nurses and people like that. Especially teachers, who are most import because they taught the doctors and nurses.
Chris Kunitz!
Joining The Black Parade
Chris Kunitz!
April 23rd, 2007 at 01:34am
If you give up on school, you basically give up on life. You will not go anywhere without an education. Ignorance will not land you a great career. Stick through school and do your best. If you hate school then that is just too bad. It is better than having no education to get you anywhere in life.
The music.
Salute You in Your Grave
The music.
September 20th, 2008 at 05:50pm
Education is very important for your future but a problem is forming where there isnt enough room in colledges (making it more important to be smarter) so more and more people cant go to colledge whitch is not good. So study up so you can go to coledge and get a good paying job that pays your bills.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
September 20th, 2008 at 06:37pm
^There is plenty of room in colleges. People just can't afford it. College is so ridiculously expensive. By the time a student graduates college they're thousands of dollars in debt.
Also if you look at the average income of college graduates vs. high school graduates, those that have been to college earn so much more money. It's nearly impossible to have a good career without a college education. And Americans don't have that education, the jobs are being shipped overseas. If you don't go to college you're likely to be stuck in a minimum wage job for the rest of your life.

I personally love school, I love learning. So I'm planning on going to college.
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
September 20th, 2008 at 08:23pm
Being educated is not the same as learning, in the same way that having an education does not make you intelligent.

Having a degree will get you a higher paid job, but that does not make it better. It also doesn't mean that anyone without a degree is spending their entire life on minimum wage. One of my friends was promoted to manager at the shop he worked at before he left for uni, another was recently headhunted for a manager's position at a club in Birmingham and his highest qualification was an a-level equivalent in cookery. Another one works part time as a swimming teacher and she earns £25 an hour. An education may pay well, but so does experience.

Not to mention, your post graduate salary will depend on what degree you studied and the institution where you studied for it. An oxbridge graduate will get a job ahead of an aberystwyth graduate and a degree in economics will beat a degree in business studies. A degree in drama will likely see you struggling for any income for a few years.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
September 20th, 2008 at 08:47pm
Oi Nutter!:
Being educated is not the same as learning, in the same way that having an education does not make you intelligent.

Well yes, but they often go hand in hand.
I can't imagine that someone could have an education and know absolutely nothing. If you're an educated person than I don't see how you wouldn't be intelligent.

Having a degree will get you a higher paid job, but that does not make it better. It also doesn't mean that anyone without a degree is spending their entire life on minimum wage. One of my friends was promoted to manager at the shop he worked at before he left for uni, another was recently headhunted for a manager's position at a club in Birmingham and his highest qualification was an a-level equivalent in cookery. Another one works part time as a swimming teacher and she earns £25 an hour. An education may pay well, but so does experience.

Things are very different in the US. Most jobs in the US now require some kind of education beyond high school. Only having a high school diploma doesn't for sure mean you'll be living on minimum wage, but in my country I would say that the majority are.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
September 20th, 2008 at 09:01pm
^^ It's very quickly becoming a catch-22 with college and jobs; they want you to have a degree as well as experience. So you can go to college like you are supposed to do, and stand on the stage with your shiny new degree -- and end up working in a retail job because you don't have experience. No one will even think about offering you the job if you don't have a degree, so you forgo a job out of high school in favor of college, but then you can't get the job because you don't have the experience, but you can't get the experience because nobody will give you the job.

I think that there are relatively equal numbers of jobs that require degrees compared to those that don't. There are so many food service, retail, customer service, home repair, pest control, heating/cooling, landscaping, general construction, etc (you get the idea: day laborers and the like) jobs that require high school diplomas or less, and maybe a few of those would need an apprenticeship, but certainly not 4-year degrees. I think it just depends on what the person wants to pursue whether they need to go to college or if they can go to work straight out of high school.
Amy-Faye
Jazz Hands
Amy-Faye
September 21st, 2008 at 02:57pm
I think that people should be given a choice weather or not they go to school. I mean obviously they should do basic stuff and at least be in education till like year 9 or something. But if people think that school is pointless, tell them they don't have to go. See how far that gets them
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
September 22nd, 2008 at 07:46am
Al right, Swedish school system.

7-16 Grundskolan (directly translated this would be "ground school"Wink
This one is mandatory and divided in 3 blocks. Low, middle and high. 3 years in each.

16-18 Gymnasium. (Not at all connected to an english "gymnasium"Wink
This is not a mandatory education but most people attend gymnasium anyway. Its free of charge and divided in to "programs". A program is basically the groundwork you need to study at uni level + a special subject for that program.
Example; I attended a 3 year arts and design program and topped it off with some extra courses to qualify for uni at a school like chalmers university of technology. That is, I studied extra mathematics, physics and construction theory.

18+
The two most common educations after gymnasium is studying at university level or getting a working degree diploma (KY).

All educations, with a few exceptions such as some arts and advertisement schools are free of charge.
------------------

So, since education is free here, I don't see any reason why not to attend at least gymnasium, its not like you can get a real job before you are 18 nowdays anyway.
I personally hope that I never stop learning, there's so many things I want to know and so little time! I'm thinking about taking my 2 working degree diplomas, get them valued at uni level, add some uni courses and get me a BA from them. I can find jobs without a BA but I just like to study.

My conclusion is that education is necessary, but an education alone, without a contact to your industry is worthless. I rather employ an experienced person than an educated one. Its just easy to get stuck in the "academic world" and that's just as bad as having no education at all.