Don't have an account? Create one!

Education

AuthorMessage
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
July 13th, 2006 at 06:39pm
I agree with what Jessica said, colleges and such are too exspensive.
And way too many jobs depend on a college education.
Unless you want to like, work at McDonalds or something, you must go to college, which costs more than its actually worth.
Kittie™©
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Kittie™©
July 13th, 2006 at 06:40pm
School/Education is annoying in the process.But I know its for my well-being.Without education I would be no where.I would be stumbling around wondering what to put the rest of my life to and Right now I'm not.I have a goal of what I want to be.But even the people who go to college/university end up with not too good jobs or no jobs at all.Honestly,I dont get it really.
My Chemical Asshole
Bleeding on the Floor
My Chemical Asshole
October 10th, 2006 at 02:01pm
Some bits of school are a waste of time. For example, learning about Macbeth, but some bits are usefull. You should get to choose if You wanna go or not
Aishwarya in town
Awake and Unafraid
Aishwarya in town
October 10th, 2006 at 03:44pm
Americans are really, really slow with their education system. The schools here (America) spend such a long time learning the same darn thing.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
October 10th, 2006 at 03:58pm
I really strongly dislike my school and the Northern Irish education system, but that's because I feel there are too much pressures put on people from a very young age.
You start primary school at 5, and by the time you are 8 you do your first major set of exams (KS1) which determine how well you are progressing and whether you will make it in KS2. At the end of KS2 (when you are 11) you do an exam which determines the type of high school you can go to (either a grammar which is like a higher level of education, or secondary school which is average high school). At 14 you do another set of exams which tell you whether you can do single, double or triple award GCSE subjects. At 16 you do GCSEs which are what your employers will look at. If you continue on with school after 16, you do AS and A2 levels or you can go to Tech and get an NVQ. Then at 18 you have the opportunity to go to Uni. I mean, long or what? And doing an important exam every 2 or 3 years is ridiculous. You can't expect someone to do well in something that will affect the rest of their life when they are 16 because at 16 most people are idiots 90-something percent of the time and don't care too much about whether they even show up for school because they are more intrested in going out with their friends.
Maybe it's just me, but I think 5 is too young to start schooling and I think expecting people to make decisions which affect the rest of their life at 11, or even 16, is too much to expect off a child. Because really that's what you are when you're my age, still a child. How can a child possibly know what they will be doing in ten or twenty years time?
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
October 11th, 2006 at 04:41am
I think that education is one of the most valuable things we have and we are so fortunate to have it.

But I do agree with Starr. I mean, in Y12 and Y13 you have AS and A2 exams, not only both years, but TWICE both years. Sure, you can retake if you do bad, but starting this year, Unis can see what you retake and will use that against you. I think there is far too much pressure in the UK system. Once your GCSEs start, the exams just don't go away. Theres far too much stress for such young people.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
October 12th, 2006 at 09:04pm
1. Check before you make a new thread. Duplicates get deleted.

2. Spam is ABSOLUTELY forbidden. Stick to the topic at all times.

3. Keep it as calm and civilized as possible please. Let people have their own opinions, don't force yours on anyone.

4. No pyramid quoting.

5. No spam threads. This means no "rate this or that" thread. No "how do u liek chocolat?" or "i liek pie, do u?".

6. If I lock/delete your thread, read these rules again. Did your thread break any of the rules? If so, you have no right to complain. If your thread was wrongfully locked/deleted, pm me and we can talk about it.

7. If you want to talk about MCR, you can do so in the Band board.

8. If you agree with someone's post, and you quote it, ALWAYS add your own opinion to it

9. I don't allow profanity here.

10. "Page claim" is spam. Spam is not allowed.

11. "I agree" or "I like <insert topic here>" isn't enough. Elaborate your opinion please.

12. No Chat Speak! Use proper grammar please!

13. If you're unsure about making a thread because of any reason, pm me first and I will let you know if it's ok or not.

14. If someone makes a thread that doesn't belong here, don't waste four pages telling this person off. Just ignore it until a moderator comes online and deals with it.
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
October 16th, 2006 at 02:57am
School and a good education is extremely important.
You need it to get a lot of what you want.

But I'm pretty much un-teachable . . .Sad
cocaine.
Shotgun Sinner
cocaine.
October 16th, 2006 at 06:44am
I don't like school, I don't hate school.

But to me, cutting classes proves that you really don't deserve an education.
XxBeing_The_NerdxX
Killjoy
XxBeing_The_NerdxX
October 19th, 2006 at 04:57pm
im shelby. im stuck in a boring school and i cant tell my mom because she doesnt understand and ive have aparently made this future that she sees to. and im constantly asked how are you grades? im the one who plans on going to college to get away from here. so yeah it sucks here and yes it is kind of inportant to me so ill see you around and i hope that answers your questions!!
Quinn.
Bleeding on the Floor
Quinn.
December 6th, 2006 at 12:31am
i think education is important. whether hate it or not..you need it. i've just left school and thinking back..i'm glad i never dropped out. there's way too many kids these days who thinks school is nothing but a load of crap. i hate seeing kids these days skippin classes and hanging around shops in their uniform. it kind of sickens me in a way.
Rainy.
Awake and Unafraid
Rainy.
December 6th, 2006 at 12:40am
I think that education is a very important thing, but I don't agree with the school system(at least where I live). Sometimes school focus more on teaching kids facts and right or wrong answers, rather than teaching people how to think or come up with their own point of view of the world.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
December 8th, 2006 at 12:27am
Education is important as long as it fits your beliefs. What I mean is, I don't think it's reasonable for someone to learn about something that has no relevance to what they want to be.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
December 8th, 2006 at 01:46am
^The problem with that is, that if the person learns only what they need for one profession or job, they have nothing to fall back on if that job falls through.

The more doors you open, the more options you have, and the more places you can go. If you only open one door, and the wind blows it shut, then you are kind of screwed.
Feel What You Feel.
Bleeding on the Floor
Feel What You Feel.
December 8th, 2006 at 07:37am
I think that education is really important.
Some things are really pathetic though because when am I going to need Algebra or know about the Oregon Trail in real life?
My parents know nothing about Algebra basically, and they're getting by fine.
What I'm saying is that if you're not going to need it, you're not going to remember it. I don't remember a thing I did in Social Studies last year because it's of no interest to me, and I see no point in trying to still remember it.
Plus, what am I going to remember about that class in twenty years? Nothing.
So even if I do find it of interest in a few years, I still won't remember it. Teaching kids something that they won't remember later on in life is pointless. They should teach stuff like that in depth in college when a person wants to go into that field.
Sammie
Really Not Okay
Sammie
December 8th, 2006 at 10:40am
In my opinion, school is the most important time of your life. You need school to be able to have a the kind of life you want. I know a few people that hate school and think it is a waste of time and all they want to do is, recieve benefits every week because working is too much trouble for them.

But I also know people who are still getting degrees now and they are nearly 50. My uncle has three degrees already and he is just about to start another. I hate it when people moan about the fact that school is boring and not worth it and then they moan about the fact that they cant get a job. Lets face it, with more people going to uni/college than they did 10 years ago it is going to be a lot harder to find and interesting, well paid job.

Ok thats the end of my rant now Very Happy
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
December 8th, 2006 at 12:16pm
I just realized that someone said going to university is not really worth it, because it's just too expensive, and that this must be true for the U.S. and other countries. I think it’s actually a shame that such an important matter as the education of the young should depend on how lucky you were to have been born into a wealthy family. University education is definitely worth it, because in modern societies there are more and more jobs that require high qualification and less and less low skill-jobs. Moreover it clearly can broaden your horizon.
In Germany, where I'm going to uni, those have been free for everyone until recently. But right now more and more unis are implementing student fees. I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t have decided to go uni if there had already been student fees some years ago as I’ve started, because I couldn’t have afforded it.
Sammie
Really Not Okay
Sammie
December 8th, 2006 at 04:13pm
Here in England you have to take out loans to pay for uni. I started uni this September but have recently had to drop out. But I worked out that I was going to be in debt of £23,000+ I really want an education and I think that uni is very important. But I can see why people are scared of joining uni because of the amount of debt you will be in by the time youre finished.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
December 8th, 2006 at 05:07pm
yes as I've been to England everyone was looking at me like this Shocked as I was saying that I don’t have to pay any student fees, except of a very small amount of about 200 € per semester as a contribution for the canteen and to get a free ride student ticket for the public transport in your city and the surrounding area.
I’m really lucky that so far my uni (in other colleges and unis you already have to pay from the start) has only implemented fees for long-term students who extend the regular time for their BA or MA further than 15 or 16 semesters. I mean this is understandable, and moreover if you get into serious problems or become pregnant you can still extend your study time without paying any money. It’s clear that the universities must find a way to raise funds, but it’s sad that money is spent on everything first but education; at least this is the case in Germany.
abcdefrankiero
Killjoy
abcdefrankiero
December 14th, 2006 at 12:13am
My opinion on school is it is very important. I know from family members that in order for my future to be anything successful, I have to go to college. So I'm working on good grades in high school, which is working out so far and I eventually will go to college. I encourage everyone to try at school.