Don't have an account? Create one!

Ableism

AuthorMessage
schizophrenic_cat
Salute You in Your Grave
schizophrenic_cat
June 12th, 2006 at 12:53pm
^ refering to the last few posts about schools ...
Personally I'm in an international school, which means that we have mixed abilities ...
because it is an international school we also have people with mental disabilities, we have one person who's dyslexic in my class, and I'm autistic ( i have pdd_nos a disorder on the autisitc spectrum)...
Because it's an international school almost everyone is at a differnt level ...
so we use a curriculam - the myp- (sp?) where people can work to their own level ... and it works really well ...
It also isn't just based off grades ... it's also based off of what kinda students we are ... so even if you have a learing disability you can still get good grades ...
Plus ... 1 in 7 people have a diagnosed mental illness, it'd be kind of hard to get all of them to go to a special school ...
In holland you have something called a rugzak ... it's like an amount of money which parents of a disabled child get .. they can choose if they want to put it into special education or if they want it to go to helping the child in a normal school ....
in this way we teach children to get along with eachother, disabled or not, and so aviod ableism when the children are older...
cocaine.
Shotgun Sinner
cocaine.
June 14th, 2006 at 02:44am
clarissa:
Do you mean mentally or physically disabled? Because I could understand having a separate section for ment. disabled people, as it's not entirely practical to have students who learn at different levels in the same room with one teaching space, but I don't see much need if they're physically disabled. I mean, most phy. disabled people can get around fine anyway. Yeah you have to make some allowances but it's not much of an effort.

Both. The other two schools flatly refuse to take them.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
June 14th, 2006 at 02:55am
Scout, we're goin' down;:
I go to a public school, and we have a seperate section for the disabled students.

The other two private, religious schools won't take them.
That's discrimination.

a lot of times private ones don't have the ability to take disabled children. Most of the time it's a money issue. They would have to rennovate the school with money they don't have. Private school teaches often don't get paid alot
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 14th, 2006 at 01:07pm
It gets really annoying when people always ask "What's wrong with your mom?"
Hey, sometimes I forget that there's anything "wrong" with her in the first place! It's all I've ever known. It's the norm for me.
I personally see no difference between my mom and other moms. I never think or say "Wow. It's weird that your mom can walk."
So why is it that I always get that?
She's probably smarter than their mom anyway. XD

(My mom is very very smart in every way.)
schizophrenic_cat
Salute You in Your Grave
schizophrenic_cat
June 20th, 2006 at 01:26pm
18 going on extinct:
Scout, we're goin' down;:
I go to a public school, and we have a seperate section for the disabled students.

The other two private, religious schools won't take them.
That's discrimination.

a lot of times private ones don't have the ability to take disabled children. Most of the time it's a money issue. They would have to rennovate the school with money they don't have. Private school teaches often don't get paid alot

I think that no people should be given less chances becasue of a lack of money ...
I mean we have people living in 10 million $ mansions ...
couldn't they give some money to places which actually need it ?
chillpill
Always Born a Crime
chillpill
June 20th, 2006 at 01:29pm
schizophrenic_cat:
I think that no people should be given less chances becasue of a lack of money ...

Okay, I go to a private school, and we have 84 stairs to get to the top floor. We have no elevators. If a child with a disability such as having to use a wheelchair wanted to go to our school, we couldn't have been able to just build an elevator right away. Some schools, such as the one that I went to, don't have a lot of money (AKA poor). It's not discrimination. Trust me.
schizophrenic_cat
Salute You in Your Grave
schizophrenic_cat
June 20th, 2006 at 02:35pm
Paige .. <3:
schizophrenic_cat:

Okay, I go to a private school, and we have 84 stairs to get to the top floor. We have no elevators. If a child with a disability such as having to use a wheelchair wanted to go to our school, we couldn't have been able to just build an elevator right away. Some schools, such as the one that I went to, don't have a lot of money (AKA poor). It's not discrimination. Trust me.

Oh ..
we go to a private school .. .but we have an elevator .. .so ..
chillpill
Always Born a Crime
chillpill
June 30th, 2006 at 01:51pm
Well, we were technically poor. So what I'm saying is that some schools can't afford elevators & stuff like that. It's great that some schools have elevators but for the schools that can't afford these things, it's a little unfair for peope to get mad at them when it's really not their fault.
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
June 30th, 2006 at 03:52pm
My school is making a lift/elevator. Which will be useful for the disabled kids and the abled kids because 4 flights of stairs is a bugger to climb on a Monday morning.
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
July 16th, 2006 at 10:38pm
That's horrible. I helped out with the special olympics once and disabled people are nicer than those who are fully healthy. I want to adopt 3 disabled/ mentally handicapped kids when I get older. They're so sweet.
secret_goldfish
Shotgun Sinner
secret_goldfish
August 28th, 2006 at 12:56am
clarissa:
My school is making a lift/elevator. Which will be useful for the disabled kids and the abled kids because 4 flights of stairs is a bugger to climb on a Monday morning.
four flights? only?

there are ten flights of stairs in my school. my classes are usually on the eighth floor but after lunch which is on the bottom floor you have to climb them. there are also classes on the level floor and if you have drama after that you have to go up ten flights of stairs. the people with asthma get to take the elevator or if you get injured (most likely because of participation of a school sport) yet there are no disabled people that go to my school, that were born with their dissabilities or have dissablities that will not go away. i dont understand why either. it is a particularly wealthy school and we have two elevators, used both for the seniors and teachers. sometimes i wonder if it is discrimination or that we dont have the equipment. but the thing is that we could get the equipment. we get new things for the school every year..
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
August 28th, 2006 at 01:49am
My school is an international school which doesn't provide access for disabled people. Personally, I find it disgusting. Our school has an olympic standard swimming pool, a great gym, all sorts of musical instruments, drama equipment... But they can't be bothered to put in disabled access. I mean, all the stuff we have is great. But we could do without so much of it to add so much more to the school. We've taken the issue to our Principal and he basically said that it wasn't worth it for the amount of students it would open our school to. It says all over the place that the school "provides a learning environment free of discrimination". But it doesn't.
xCadetxRubyx
Jazz Hands
xCadetxRubyx
August 28th, 2006 at 09:10am
I have a disability and I know exactly what it's like to be disabled. When I was younger I managed to get the grades to go into a grammar school yet the headmaster there told my parents that "A disabled child does not belong in a grammar school. She wont be able to cope with the stress" I mean I was only like a kid and that hit me pretty hard. It haunts you. There will always be this voice that tell you you're inadequate to everyone else. I know there are things I'm not going to be able to do. But they're are things that I can do better than people that can run around and stuff. I made it through Grammar school, I passed my A levels (2A's and a B so I'm not a dumbass lol) and I'm off to uni in September. I just wish I could go back to that headmaster and show him that I am a success.
Sweet.Sorrow
Motor Baby
Sweet.Sorrow
August 28th, 2006 at 06:17pm
I think that there are different things to think about when you are talking about public school. They could definitely have a rule about making all schools wheelchair accessable. Serious mental diseases are different than learning disabilities though. I had a girl with autism in my class in the fifth grade who liked to pull peoples hair. She wasn't learning anything either because she had a really bad case of the disease. Her mom threatned to sue the school if the didn't let her into the class but the girl was actually interfering with the class a lot and we would miss learning time to talk about staying away from her when she had a hair pulling frenzy and kids were scared if they had to sit by her and got distracted. I think that she has a right to an education but I think her mom was kind of in denial about her disease. I think that they should be put in different classes with people with the same problems as them. Plus if her mom wanted her to be treated equal, if you pulled someones hair you would get sent to the office but if she did she would get told no don't do that. That's not exactly equal even though I know she can't help it.

I think that being mean to someone for being different in any way isn't a good thing. I am against any kind of descrimination. Those shirts that say 'I ride the short bus' bother me. It really bothers me when people pretend to be 'retarded' too. People use retarded as an insult a lot and I think that's really terrible.
dana eats dreams
Banned
dana eats dreams
August 29th, 2006 at 05:01pm
I am handicapped, but you can't tell that until I tell you that I am.

Ableism is wrong. Probably half the people in your schools are either handicapped, or disabled.

Disabled people are just like normal people.
marla singer.
Salute You in Your Grave
marla singer.
September 4th, 2006 at 06:43am
Making fun of disabled people is wrong.
It will never be right.
Disabled people shouldn't be descriminated against.
Do you think their life is bad enough as it is?
They dont need another person to rub their disablility in their face.
They should be treated like normal people.
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
Motor Baby
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
September 4th, 2006 at 09:16am
Only shallow people make fun of people who are disabled - they dont know that perhaps one day they'll have an accident and end up disabled, they'll certainly change their tune by then! this girl in my class (my arch enemy since i was about 6) always makes fun of this boy in our old dance class who had a disability, althought he's smart he still has difficulty with handwriting & making friends. so this girl always pretends to him that she fancies him, so his hopes get up & then makes him feel bad by laughing at his best efforts to empress her. i always see if he's ok in the classes i'm with him and he's a sweet kind boy, too nice for tarts like phoebe (the girl in my class).
my cousin is dyslexic too, he has behaviour problems but is a laugh and generally a nice person.
Abusing the disabled is wrong, it will never EVER be right - fact.
They have enough to live with without people making their lives harder.
Xx_GiftOf_AGrave_xX
Shotgun Sinner
Xx_GiftOf_AGrave_xX
September 5th, 2006 at 05:01pm
It's not fair to discriminate against disabled people. It's a very real fact that in a blink of an eye you can become disabled as well...

Disabled people are perfectly normal in the fact that they can think, smile, frown, feel... they're people. Like us.
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
September 8th, 2006 at 04:06pm
I think that even though disabled (personally I think that term is wrong and it should be lessabled) people may not be as phsyically strong the have to be far stronger mentally. It must be horrible going out and having everyone stare at you and it must be frustrating not being able to do what the other kids can do (as a child anyway). My mum's friend had a daughter with cerebal palsey but its really bad and she's in a wheelchair. I hang out with her a lot or did before I moved house and its really horrible seeng her looking so longingly at the other kids who are running and playing and stuff. My school also did this thing where once a week the local 'lessabled' school came to our school and we played games and chilled out and just had fun. It was really good and it taught us not to be prejudiced form an early age.
Chemical_Romance
Salute You in Your Grave
Chemical_Romance
September 9th, 2006 at 06:11pm
My Mum is disabled...and she officially rocks. She takes me to gigs and is just the most awesome Mum a kid could have.

If anyone mocks, stares, points, or even if they dont open the door for us when I'm pushing her wheelchair, I go MENTAL. I rammed a shopping trolley into someone ages ago for being a totaly prick to my Mum about her disability.
If someone parks in a Disbaled bay I rant so much...In LOTM, MCR were parked TWICE in a Disabled Bay [[I pay quite a lot of attention to that DVD]] and ranted at my Gerard and Frank who were on screen at the time.
I hate people who think they're superior to those who aren't able bodied.
I hate people who park in Disabled Bays when they're not disabled
I hate anyone who discriminates Disabled people.
My Mum is my life. She seriously is amazing.
I think Disbaled People are some of the most nicest people in the world.