Don't have an account? Create one!

Faith Schools

AuthorMessage
Serious Business
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Serious Business
May 22nd, 2007 at 10:35am
I go to a Catholic school, but most people there are lutheranian. I go there most because I learn more there.
I think faith scools are fine, as long as you are not being 'brainwashed' to belive something you dont want to.
iamnotok
Killjoy
iamnotok
May 26th, 2007 at 02:07pm
my religion is prodestion nd i dnt kno if theyre is any school for it but .. some catholic school r very stict nd if u say somtin about another religion they tlk to otha teachers nd they start to go stricter so u dn tthink of changin ur religion....... (this is frm wat i heard frm a friend not me)
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
June 5th, 2007 at 03:09pm
I go to a Roman Catholic school and I have for the past 13 year and I still have another 2 to go and I have to say I think my school is nice. Yeah I get the odd comment and stuff thrown at me but I know most of my year group and there is no division. You can go and strike up conversation with any one really. There are not standard in popularity as such. You just hang around with your friends and every one talks to every one really. Yeah we do have mass and we pray and have R.E [religious education] but that’s all that sets us apart really. We're no better than any one else.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
June 5th, 2007 at 04:26pm
I think they are great if that is what you believe in. But some parents are so desperate for their child to go to a faith school, they will only attend church because they have to. But some schools are not faith schools, yet force you into a religion. My primary (elementary) School made everyone pray and it had a like mass every Friday. The school was labelled as multi culteral, so why they did that I really don't know.
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
June 5th, 2007 at 04:46pm
iamnotok:
my religion is prodestion nd i dnt kno if theyre is any school for it but .. some catholic school r very stict nd if u say somtin about another religion they tlk to otha teachers nd they start to go stricter so u dn tthink of changin ur religion....... (this is frm wat i heard frm a friend not me)

Nope I've been to two catholic school and they are never like that! you can talk about other religions [only in a positive way, of course] and we are taught to respect every other religion, I think you are thinking of the old convernts or baording schools.

x
Monclonk
Killjoy
Monclonk
June 5th, 2007 at 06:30pm
I go to an all girl, private, Catholic school, but I'm not Catholic. I can't speak for all religious based schools, but i am in freaking love with mine. My school promotes tolerance and love and just freakin sugary sweetness where ever we step. Though the majority of girls are Catholic, a LOT of us aren't. we've got Lutherans (that's me) wiccans, atheists, baptists, you name it. We ARE required to take a religion class (freshman is Hist. of the Cath. Church but as you get older the topics change so one year we'll get morality or world religions etc.) so basically even though they do all their Catholic traditions and stuff, that's what you get for going to a religious school, i mean it was OUR choice to apply here. sooo yeah. there's my piece.

if a school isn't accepting your application because you're not hte same denomination/sect as them, then they are just being bad Christians (or w/e they may be)
HaHa BoB's Dead
Killjoy
HaHa BoB's Dead
July 10th, 2007 at 12:50am
i think faith schools are good. they teach better morals than most schools. it really doesnt matter if you are part of thier faith because its regulations not to shove the faith down student's throats, but to accomdate them and try to make sence with them.

I go to a SDA academy, some of my friends are SDA some are catholic, some are baptist, we even have this girl who might be a Wiccan. or just some Mailyn Manson worshiper...who cares.
Lonerinlove
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lonerinlove
January 27th, 2008 at 04:36pm
I live in england and around where i live is full of asians.

but up the road to me is 3 jewish school is less the 1/2 a mile between them all
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
January 27th, 2008 at 10:45pm

i went to catholic school
in highschool . and i found that i got my education just fine , my results were consistant with any other school public or non catholic , sometimes even better . as for catholic studies i dont thikn theyre really out to shove catholocism down your throat, im catholic born and bred and i had no issues with the tone of religiousness at school.

DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
January 27th, 2008 at 10:55pm
Im not really a fan. I think it's tragic that the school with the best oppertunity are also faith based. I don't like the idea of being pushed into religion while you are trying to learn. I was in a Catholic school for 5 years, and while I was not misterable, it didn't give me an oppertunity to explore my beliefs, and be around people from different faith backrounds then myself. I think diversity is very important in school. I remember when I first met a girl that was Jewish, I asked her why she didn't have a communion, and then proceeded to tell her that she was going to hell. I feel terrible now of course, but I was a kid then, and was blind to the rest of the world.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
January 28th, 2008 at 01:09am
I went to a catholic all girls school for a very short time because the religion teacher was forcing the Catholicism down everyones throats, and i said o him i was agnostic and he called that "sitting on the fence" which I found so rude.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
January 28th, 2008 at 04:03am

well agreeing to go to a catholic school does usually mean that you agree to have catholicism present in the learning environment . and the fact was he was a religion teacher thats pretty much his job, to educate on catholic values and beleifs

as for calling you a fence sitter for being agnostic
that was down to personal beleif you shouldnt blame the catholic school system for that one mans bad additude.

no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
January 28th, 2008 at 04:29am
No but I mean, for religious classes, they shouldnt be allowed to teach just one religion, they should inform you of Buddhists and shinto and all the other religions out there.

Its the principal that he had the rudeness to say that, showing he's not fit to be a religious teacher because you have to respect ALL religions.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
January 30th, 2008 at 11:37pm
Alright, I'm going to be one of the 1st here to say something potentially offensive, but :

I personally am against faith schools for the reason that many a secular subject is open to reinterpretation through a biased lens - that is, the perspective of that particular faith.

Religion is fine by itself in a class, as one subject, as taught in secular schools. I'm from Malaysia where Islam is an official religion (tho if u ask me, the very idea of an 'official religion' is ridiculous) & in all govrnment schools - except for vernacular schools - Islam is taught as a subject, which is fine. if u're gonna practice a faith u might as well know it in-depth. But Islam faith schools here tend to focus very heavily on the religion till practical knowledge like math and arts and science becomes nearly secondary.

Also, they impose certain rules like the wearing of headscarves, and no tight/short pants - not eve during activities like track running. (do u really expect to excel in sports on a state level if u're limited to bulky tracksuits while other runners wear lightweight lycras? this is just 1 example but u get my drift.) many such schools also severe0ly limit interaction btwn the sexes. which IMHO is unhealthy & not very natural.

I'm sorry that i can't speak in detail for Catholic schools as they aren't too common here. Emphasis on faith is fine in moderation. teachers shd also be monitored to ensure they aren't using these institutes as a medium for brainwashing. and ultimately, the religious rules imposed should not interfere with daily learning

that's all......

pls feel free to critique my viewpoint
Odalisque
Always Born a Crime
Odalisque
January 31st, 2008 at 06:44pm
I attended a religious high school (Catholic), and I honestly loved it.
I did not follow the religion.
My family did, but I did not personally believe in it.
I don't think this goes for all religious schools, but my school did not impress the religion on anyone at all.
They taught it to you to say "Hey, this is what we're all about."
But it was in no way forced on anyone.
In fact, I think my decision to leave the religion was brought about by learning about it in the school.
They taught it to you to let you know what the religion was, but did not condone your joining or leaving of it.
The curriculum was excellent, and I think I got the education my parents paid for.
From my experience, I have nothing against it, but not all schools are as open minded as mine was, so I can understand opposition to it.
I think that if one feels they are being pushed into a religion through a faith school, it is most likely their parents that are doing the pushing, and the school that is doing their dirty work.
But I'm sure there are still pushy faith schools out there, and that the above comment certainly can't apply to every student.
Chemicaly-Romanced-
Killjoy
Chemicaly-Romanced-
February 1st, 2008 at 04:23pm
I used to go to a Catholic school
I am now in a public school
I enjoy the public school more because
I get to be more of my own person with my own choice about what I believe in

I found that there was only about 5 catholic people in my form in Catholic school
There were many different religins and lots of kids were only there because there family wanted them to go to a school with less drugs ect.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
February 2nd, 2008 at 08:02pm
Bert McCracken:
No but I mean, for religious classes, they shouldnt be allowed to teach just one religion, they should inform you of Buddhists and shinto and all the other religions out there.

Its the principal that he had the rudeness to say that, showing he's not fit to be a religious teacher because you have to respect ALL religions.

i dnno how that works where you come from .
but basically what happens is
first you learn about catholocism .
and its beliefs customs and reasons for being
then later on down the track they teach you about
religion as a whole and as a comparative to what catholocism is

thats the way i went through religious clas
from the sixth grade too the tenth .

GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
February 4th, 2008 at 08:41am
[/size][/font][/quote]I think the heavyness of the religion in a faith school really relys a) the religion, b) the country.
In Australia, 'faith schools' make up pretty much the entire private/ independent school system. They make up some of the best schools in Sydney. You don't have to be anglican or catholic, which ever, but you are required to take religion classes up until you finish school...which does suck a little bit, but you get used to it. I swear only about 1/3, prob less, of my grade is christian. One of my best friends is Muslim.
I think going to a faith really depends one the religion and the country, and i guess in Aust which prides itself on multiculturality, it doesn't enforce a national religion so therefore the majority of faith schools can't be too strict.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
February 4th, 2008 at 08:43am
^probably less are christian...
some say theyre christian, but probably really arent...
yeah...
and thats my story.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
February 4th, 2008 at 08:43am
^ (oh god! im turning into bec!!)

personal joke...