Don't have an account? Create one!

Driving.

AuthorMessage
Taylor Lautner
Always Born a Crime
Taylor Lautner
February 8th, 2007 at 04:57pm
Where I live (California), you can get your permit when you are 15 and your licence when you are 16.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 10th, 2007 at 02:55am
What are the legal ages for driving in your country? Do you agree or disagree?
The legal ages to drive in my country is 18(When you get your license) But normally when you have gone through Driver's Education, and you're 14, you can get your permit but you must drive with a parent or guardian.

Do you think penalties should be different for new drivers?
No, the reason why is because they must have already read the driver's handbook or something like that.

Do you agree to the rules/regulations for new drivers?
Yes, they are fair(to me).

Do you think there should be a certain age when people should not be allowed to have a driver's license?
No. Can't think of a good reason why. Not for their age.
hilaryMCR
Killjoy
hilaryMCR
November 13th, 2007 at 03:11am
How Old????

--Here in KANSAS....most kids take driver's ed after eighth grade (14) and if you pass you automatically get your learner's permit(or you can just take the test)then you have to drive with an adult with a license for some number of hours(i forgot how many)then after u turn 15 or u've had your learner's permit for six months you get your restricted license...with your restricted you can drive to school and work only alone and when u turn 16 it just turns into a DL
hilaryMCR
Killjoy
hilaryMCR
November 13th, 2007 at 03:11am
How Old????

--Here in KANSAS....most kids take driver's ed after eighth grade (14) and if you pass you automatically get your learner's permit(or you can just take the test)then you have to drive with an adult with a license for some number of hours(i forgot how many)then after u turn 15 or u've had your learner's permit for six months you get your restricted license...with your restricted you can drive to school and work only alone and when u turn 16 it just turns into a DL
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:56am
in england for now its 17... you can pass your test and learn to drive at 17

But they are changed it to 18! and where u cant learn when your 17!

its only a year but for me it changes alot... a whole year without freedom to get out! unfair!

i really dont think theres any difference in a year!
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 8th, 2009 at 07:20pm
ClaireBear016:

its only a year but for me it changes alot... a whole year without freedom to get out! unfair!

I live in England too, I'm 18 but I have no intention of learning to drive.

I think it's because once you're 18, there aren't any age-restrictions on you any more - I'm sure this isn't the case in other countries but here, there isn't really anything your average adult does that you have to be 21 for; once you're 18 you have the freedom to do whatever you like, basically. Vote, drink, drive, smoke... everything. So possibly it was risen to bring it in line with everything else in this country - I mean, 17 is a bit of an odd age to suddenly be allowed to drive anyway - and to be honest, isn't that much different from 16 - but at 18 the law considers you an adult and so (in theory!) old and mature enough to learn to drive.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 8th, 2009 at 07:25pm
ClaireBear016:

I live in England and I always thought it was 17.. I mean im 16 but im able to apply for a provisional, it'd be abit stupid to apply for that then have to wait 2 years till you can get a test.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 9th, 2009 at 07:02pm
John St. John:
ClaireBear016:

I live in England and I always thought it was 17.. I mean im 16 but im able to apply for a provisional, it'd be abit stupid to apply for that then have to wait 2 years till you can get a test.

I live in England too and I'm sure it was always 17, but there were rumours a few months ago it was being raised to 18 so I assumed (wrongly, it seems) from Claire's post that this had already happened.
adorablecarla
Killjoy
adorablecarla
May 14th, 2009 at 12:23am
I do believe that in the U.S. the driving age for all states is 16 years. However, I do not believe that should be the deal. Driving is a big responsibility, and I certainly believe that some 16 year olds do not deserve that much responsibility yet. I'm saying this because I am 18 years old, almost 19, because I believe the exact same thing when I was 16 years old. The driving age should be raised, because of the safety issue. At age 16, most people believe they own the road, and they have all right to drive how they wish to drive. It's like they do not believe in the rights that others have on the road, Safety is important, and I have many friend that are 16 and responsible, but I would quickly tell them to wait. Driving is not what it's all made up to be, and every year 16 and 17 year olds lose there lives driving.

No, I certainly believe that the penalties should be the same, The laws, and the penalties are there for the drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and whoever else might be on the roads safety. If you can't deal with it don't drive.

I'm not saying at all that all 16 year olds are not responsible.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
May 14th, 2009 at 07:29am
I live in North Carolina, and you start driver's ed at 14 1/2, you get your permit at 15, and your license when you're 16. i do think though that they're considering raising it to 17. i'm not quiet sure.

i think it's fair that you get your license at 16, because i think you should start a bit early because there are some really stupid drivers out there and so i think more experiance is good, so 16 is a good age. i'm bad at explaining, so sorry.
adorablecarla
Killjoy
adorablecarla
May 14th, 2009 at 12:26pm
>.< Also, which I believe I failed to mention in my opinion, if they do keep the driving age as 16, that a parent or gaurdian should be in the vehicle for at least the first year.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
May 17th, 2009 at 06:39am

Just to clear this up: They have been thinking about changing it for years and have always said they're going to. However, as of yet, in England, you can drive when you're 17.

ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 07:55am
MiDesfileNegro:
ClaireBear016:

I live in England too, I'm 18 but I have no intention of learning to drive.

I think it's because once you're 18, there aren't any age-restrictions on you any more - I'm sure this isn't the case in other countries but here, there isn't really anything your average adult does that you have to be 21 for; once you're 18 you have the freedom to do whatever you like, basically. Vote, drink, drive, smoke... everything. So possibly it was risen to bring it in line with everything else in this country - I mean, 17 is a bit of an odd age to suddenly be allowed to drive anyway - and to be honest, isn't that much different from 16 - but at 18 the law considers you an adult and so (in theory!) old and mature enough to learn to drive.

oh yeah i guess that makes sense... but i hate how they think your not mature below the age of 18! lol... But it is annoying,

i heard thats this is whats happening... or it might not have yet im not sure... thats what i was told. i think it depends how old are are. as i think its being put into action soon. so i think if your 16 you have to wait til your 18... yeah thats it, as my friends is 17 now and she can drive... so yeah if your 16 now u gotta wait til your 18 i think lol
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 07:58am
nameless...:
I live in North Carolina, and you start driver's ed at 14 1/2, you get your permit at 15, and your license when you're 16. i do think though that they're considering raising it to 17. i'm not quiet sure.

i think it's fair that you get your license at 16, because i think you should start a bit early because there are some really stupid drivers out there and so i think more experiance is good, so 16 is a good age. i'm bad at explaining, so sorry.

Really!? 16! ah man! but 16 does seem a bit young lol
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
May 17th, 2009 at 08:13am
james morrison.:

Just to clear this up: They have been thinking about changing it for years and have always said they're going to. However, as of yet, in England, you can drive when you're 17.

Christ, that rumour has been going around since I was 15/16 and at school. I'm 23 now. Is there any truth in those "discussions" at all? I'm I'm not convinced. lol

I think how we have it now learning at 17 is fine. Though I didn't start myself til I was 18. But I couldn't afford to learn till then. I'm really not that comfortable with the thought of anyone any younger than that driving out on the roads to be honest.

And I don't really agree with double points being put on a younger drivers licence. Some may be completely resposible and have just made a genuine mistake, and they have been doubly penalised becauseof other idiots out there.

Those that are genuinely bad and irresponsible I would have thought in the end they will pick up enough points to lose their licence anyway?
Jenny.
Jenny.
September 7th, 2009 at 05:17pm
Bump.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
September 11th, 2009 at 02:02pm
From what I've seen the worst drivers seem to be the elderly.

Most of the time when both kids AND adults crash, it's because they were focused on something else and not on the road. It doesn't have anything to do with age. Everybody in here either has or will crash their car if they learn to drive, whether they're 16, 46, or 86.

Yes, kids make mistakes when they drive. But adults make just as many.

You may argue that 16 year olds are inexperienced.
If you raise the age to 18 or above, you'll have 18+ year olds that are inexperienced drivers.

I don't know about other people, but I never really changed much between 16 to 18.
And I doubt I'll change much between 18 to 20.
dotdotdot
Killjoy
dotdotdot
October 7th, 2009 at 10:57am
In Sotuh Carolina where I live you can get your permit at 15 and your license after the time is up on your restricted.
Do you think penalties should be different for new drivers? I think penalites should eb the same for new drivers because sooner or later they won't be a new driver anymore. They need to understand that driving can kill people.
Do you agree to the rules/regulations for new drivers? I think that they are fair, yes.
Do you think there should be a certain age when people should not be allowed to have a driver's license? I think that should depend on what your difficulties are when you are elderly. If you are half blind and can't hear I think it is safer tot ake them off the road. When I am driving and I see elderly people driving I try to stay as far away as possible because they can be very dangerous.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
November 17th, 2009 at 01:36pm
to be completely honest with you the best legal age to drive at is maybe twenty one.. alot of people have different maturity levels to drive a car, and I think that people are more at level as they get older. Although, realistically some people live in places with shitty public transportaion or none at all, and being above 18 but below 19, a legal adult wouldn't be able to go anywhere by themselves (like college or a job). And if a person has unreliable or no family, then that sucks.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 17th, 2009 at 05:53pm
^ I have to disagree with you on that one. Many 16-18 year-olds have jobs, which they would be unable to have if they did not have a method of transportation. Not to mention that means an extra 3-5 years of parents or older siblings chauffeuring increasingly independent teenagers and young adults around.