Don't have an account? Create one!

Is Gerard and friends getting full of themself?

AuthorMessage
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
February 4th, 2007 at 01:56pm
I BELIEVE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Mature is good. MCR is good [sorry, fucking great]. Yes, that’s sorted then.

Edit: page claim losers!
Burn all the Empires
Bleeding on the Floor
Burn all the Empires
February 4th, 2007 at 03:10pm
I have to say this is a very interesting topic, and has got me thinking a lot, especially in comparison to other bands.

I think the reason 'I Brought you my Bullets, you Brought me your Love' sounded so raw and edgy was because at the time they were all the songs they had, so they didn't necessarily flow together, they just recorded them and made an album out of what they had. Also it was recorded in the producers basement, and they kept having to stop because his mum would start hoovering (see LOTMS)! It also seems to reflect they way they were at that time, they weren't what I would call 'complete' as a band, and I don't think until they had passed the drink and drugs phase and Bob had joined, did they really seem to gel and become MCR.
(This does not in anyway mean disrespect to Matt, because he was a founding member and vital to where they are today).

Then with 'Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge' it became a lot more structured and yes it is still raw, but maybe that's still a reflection of what was happening to them at that time. They have also said that's when Howard Benson taught them more about song-structure. (see LOTMS)

Now we have 'The Black Parade' which is very different in comparison to the first one, but is a natural progression from the 2nd, even though there is still a stark contrast between them.
In interviews they have said that they feel they have skipped a few albums (i.e. most bands would have kept repeating similar material until they reached the stage they have, in only 3 records), just look at GreenDay for example. MCRs '3 cheers' is the equivalent of GDs 'Dookie' and 'The Black Parade' to 'American Idiot'. (I am not comparing the records, just using them as an analogy). (see Black Parade Press Conference)

As somebody else pointed out earlier, the music evolves as the artisits grow older, even looking at The Beatles music and how drastically that changed from 'Please, Please Me' in 1963 to 'Abbey Road' in 1969, a space of only 6 years and the sound couldn't be more different, but you still inherently know it's The Beatles.

I don't think MCR have sold-out at all, they said themselves they took as much time as they needed to write and record 'The Black Parade' without the usual deadlines and pressures, but that is a luxury they have deserved, and even when they talk about ' Welcome to the Black Parade' as a single it took 4 years to get from the very first version, to the song that it is now (see T4 interview).
In fact I think they have done just the opposite of selling-out, they have trusted their fans to grow along with them, even when they could have gone straight into big arena tours they didn't, they took the time to do the small venues first, and later on this year will bring the full show to the stage. Giving the fans the intimacy and not just becoming an unreachable mega-band.

As for wether they are becoming 'big-headed', I think from the way they are in interviews it doesn't seem that they have. Obviously as they become more famous, the more attention they get and the more people want a piece of them (even if they are not fans), so naturally that brings new issues to deal with, and maybe sometimes they will be a bit more guarded. I recently read an interview in 'Disorder' magazine with Gerard, and the interviewee said that there were no PR people around listening to the questions and making sure that he gave the 'correct' answers (which is what happens in most interviews), and I think that shows that they still want to be natural and not dictated to, or controlled in anyway, bascially continuing to be honest with themselves and their fans.

Whoa! That was long, I didn't expect all that, but I hope if anyone managed to read it all that you understood where I'm coming from and what I'm trying to say!
ros.
Salute You in Your Grave
ros.
February 6th, 2007 at 08:52am
^^ really really agree with that. And really well put.
Sammie
Really Not Okay
Sammie
February 6th, 2007 at 11:06am
Still Alive...:
My biggest fear when it comes to bands i admire alot, like MCR, is that they will sell out to money.

The second CD was spectacular. This third one is great and a proper follow-up to Three Cheers. But if you listen to this one(The Third), you can hear the polished sound. The second CD everything is alittle darker...more rough, overall creative. In this one, eventhough parts of it are dark, is still relatively pleasing to the ear. There isn't alot of distorting/disturbing sounds, everything sounds quite melodic.

The thing i'm describing is the concept of 'Jumping the Shark.' At the first (Im assuming) and second, the band was at the creative best. I think that IS who they really are. But now, this doesnt sound quite like them. Billie Joe Armstrong suggested to Way to use Rob Cavallo as their producer. Thats fine, the record came out great, ilove as much as the second. They were relatively tru to themselves this CD, but latter CD's will come and whose to say if the sound of the fifth CD will resemble anything like the third?)

Also, in recent article' s i've read i feel like gerard is getting a little full of himself. He describes in Blender about feeling how with this record it felt like a gun was being held to the bands head and he comments that even if it was fired that it would make them stronger.

What do you think the future holds for MCR?

What does everyone else think?

I don't see how that makes him/them full of themselves. Yes, the third album sounds different to the first and second. But isn't that want they wanted it to be? MCR pride themselves on being able to make each song sound different. It would get a little boring if every song they ever recorded sound the same.

Gerard likes the attention he gets, wouldn't you? But I don't think he has let it go to his head. I think he is the same guy he was. The only thing that has changed him, is the fact he getting older.
fuck_thats_good
Fabulous Killjoy
fuck_thats_good
February 7th, 2007 at 01:58am
the band is getting older and therefore growing into sumthing different. Yes they have changed from their 1st CD but every single one of their CDs are amazing and so differnt from one another it makes me excited to see what they bring out next cus i no is isn't going to be the same old stuff they have brought out b4. I don't think Gerard is getting full of himself of course wit the more famous MCR become the more pressure it puts on them to deliver sumthing great in which i believe they have done with TBP
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
February 7th, 2007 at 09:18am
i agree with what Burn all the Empires said.
*claps*
Burn all the Empires
Bleeding on the Floor
Burn all the Empires
February 8th, 2007 at 08:40am
xrated_romance:
i agree with what Burn all the Empires said.
*claps*
(and to 'Arty Farty' as well!)

Thanks, I'm just impressed you actually read it all!
*blushes and takes a bow* Smiley
Homosexual
Bleeding on the Floor
Homosexual
February 8th, 2007 at 09:54am
The gun to the head thing was just a really good metaphore of how over all no matter what happens this is a pretty tight knit group and I think that this is an excellent album and ther is no way they are going to sell out at any point.
a thousand suns.
Always Born a Crime
a thousand suns.
February 8th, 2007 at 12:23pm
People have said this, but I'm just gonna say it anyway...

Bullets sounded rough and raw because the band was just starting out, and I also think the fact that Gerard used to drink back then contributed to the overall screamyness.

Revenge was an awesome 2nd album that seemed to flow from Bullets nicely. Again, this was screamy and raw. But not as raw as Bullets.

The Black Parade I think, shows how much the band's music and they themselves have matured. They're not just guys dressed in black anymore- they're rock starts, and the world is beginning to relise that. I feel TBP is also really personal- they've really gone through a lot to reach the top, and I am so proud of them for that.

So no, I don't think they're getting full of themselves.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
February 8th, 2007 at 10:39pm
[for all you people who were talking about selling out and what it means on the last page] Here's what Ray had to say about "selling-out": "Just because you sign to a major label doesn't mean you've sold out. Selling out is when you give up on your morals and what you believe in."
rockonbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
rockonbaby
February 8th, 2007 at 10:55pm
i remember watching an interview where Gerard said, he had to turn down many kinds of deals and offers because he just wanted to commit to the music. he could've had his own clothes line, or his own line of this or that, or do commercials or be some fcking extra on some show like The O.C. or something (totally made-up examples), but he didn't. his own creation of comics does not count because that was his childhood dream.
Gerard getting full of himself? Really? I honestly don't think he could be any more humble and modest about everything than he already is. I mean, he didn't even have the guts to correct certain interviewers when they all said TBP was their SECOND album. he's amazing. NO ONE in MCR is too full of themselves. Especially Bob and Ray, so i hear!! xD
anyways, some of you are upset that TBP doesn't sound like their last two. If you don't like that, go listen to The Used or something, all the songs on all their albums pretty much sound the same. the fact that their sound is ever so changing is exciting, and very worth the wait. it doesn't bore us, and it pretty much invites us into many various sounding rock music. I love My Chemical Romance, I don't think they'll be disappointing us anytime soon, and I know they will never become sell-outs. They have too much respect for that and they won't ever find the need to sell out. Not with a fan base like us. Very Happy
hip like badass
Motor Baby
hip like badass
February 9th, 2007 at 02:42am
Every band matures and progresses from their first album. There's nothing wrong with a band having successful albums and gaining more attention, if they're a good band then they deserve it. My Chem have always been a great band and they have a lot more recognition these days because they totally deserve it. Just like Queen. They had like 3 fans after their first 2 albums and they came out with Killer Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody, and grew to become one of the most popular rock bands ever.
Of course with a huge success like that you're gonna get a lot of 'casual fans'. There's nothing wrong with that, even if they do think Gerard is SO HOTT and they might also like Helena, that's fine, there's no negativity in that. It's all about appreciating the music, and who can blame them for thinking Gerard is attractive? He is!
Now I don't mean to hate but I'm pretty sure Nickelback keeps releasing the same song over and over again with different lyrics. But I'm probably wrong.
fuck_thats_good
Fabulous Killjoy
fuck_thats_good
February 9th, 2007 at 03:43am
^^^^
yes i so agree with the whole nickleback thing....i am so gald that i am not the only person who think that yay
Wanja
In a Hail of Bullets
Wanja
February 9th, 2007 at 10:34am
no fucking way... They get older, thats what happens to people.. Pluss this is the first record after Gerard got clean and sober! He said himself he could never have made it if he still had been on drugs/and/or drinking.

They change their sound from record to record, but that doesn't mean the fame has gone to their heads!!!

as everybody is saying they're getting more mature.
setmybodyonfiresoica
Demolition Lover
setmybodyonfiresoica
February 9th, 2007 at 11:02am
Okay so what I want to say has pretty much already been said; they're maturing. They're getting older, they are adults, which I know is hard to bear in mind sometimes because they're all such dorks, but still. Like someone above said, look at The Beatles. They are a perfect example of what music was and what music should be, and although they changed alot they were still the same, they were still The Beatles. And My Chemical Romance are still My Chemical Romance.

And another thing... the guys aren't getting any younger. We know they won't last forever. That's why they're trying different things, and that's why they want to make sure they get everything out of what they have. It's easy enough to understand when you think about it properly.

And as for the way Gerard acts in interviews - well duh. He's probably one of the most well known frontmen of all time now. Something is bound to go to his head, whether it's fame or something else entirely.

Our boys are still our boys and they always will be. We just have to remember that.
Synyster Gates
Awake and Unafraid
Synyster Gates
February 9th, 2007 at 11:29am
the guys have matured a lot over the past couple of years...you can definatly tell in TBP but i don't think this makes them full of themselves. there still the same people inside so thats all that matters Smile
Sammie
Really Not Okay
Sammie
February 9th, 2007 at 11:33am
SoLongAndGoodnight_x:
the guys have matured a lot over the past couple of years...you can definatly tell in TBP but i don't think this makes them full of themselves. there still the same people inside so thats all that matters Smile

Kudos to you my friend!
PnsyRomance
Fabulous Killjoy
PnsyRomance
February 9th, 2007 at 12:31pm
Crestfallen:
Sure TBP seems abit more mainstream than Bullets or even Revenge, but with the releases of Kill All Your Friends, and My Way Home is Through You, you can tell that they still have their 'raw emotion.'

i completely agree with that
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
February 9th, 2007 at 03:22pm
Crestfallen:
In no way are they "selling out."

Like everyone is saying, they're simply maturing and growing older.

People grow, and they learn as they live life. I doubt you're going to act now how you did five or six years ago.

Sure TBP seems abit more mainstream than Bullets or even Revenge, but with the releases of Kill All Your Friends, and My Way Home is Through You, you can tell that they still have their 'raw emotion.'

Not mainstream, mature.
Ragdoll_Physics
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Ragdoll_Physics
February 9th, 2007 at 05:29pm
omg Embarassed