Don't have an account? Create one!

Polyamory

AuthorMessage
Bullet.
Salute You in Your Grave
Bullet.
March 10th, 2007 at 04:25pm
druscilla_way:
If everyone's happy with the situation, sure.
If not, make your choice.

I agree. Its not fare to lead a load of people on, but if there fine, then thats okay.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
March 15th, 2007 at 02:01pm
I believe everyone should be free to date as many people simultaneously as they choose. However, I find it challenging enough being with ONE person, let alone a group of people. Who really wants to juggle that lifestyle? Marriage is tough, it takes a lot of work, a lot of effort and a lot of emotional strength. I can't see having enough of it for more than just one person.
iamnotok
Killjoy
iamnotok
July 17th, 2007 at 07:40pm
i don't belive in true love......... so i do belive they're is more than one person out their for you .......... so i think you could marry more than one person if every1 is ok wit it........... but it is very hard to keep a marrige
MrRandomGuy
Fabulous Killjoy
MrRandomGuy
July 17th, 2007 at 07:43pm
As long as the multiple lovers know about each other then leave them alone.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 18th, 2007 at 01:43am
Ployamory is not restricted to one man having several wives/girlfriends - I just hope everyone's aware of that and not assuming that ALL polygamy/polyamory exists in cultures such as Islam or fundamentalist Christian sects, where, yes, men tend to be chauvinistic and treat women as second-class citizens.

There are many cases in Western society of normal people like you or me having several partners, all living in the same house and conducting their relationships accordingly. It's like, Bob's partner is Susan, Susan is also having a relationship with Sarah and Frank, and Frank is having a relationship with Jane. And Jane is having a relationship with Bob and Sarah.
Or, another example, Janet and Henry are partners and Mark moves in, and Janet sleeps in Henry's bed on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays, and Mark's bed the other nights. It can work any number of ways.

To me, there's nothing wrong with that situation - if all partners are aware of each other and they're okay with it, well hey, who am I to argue? I don't count it as cheating, especially if all the participants live under the same roof - it's just like a married couple, but more confusing.

An ex and I actually considered having a polyamorous relationship at one point - because I'm bisexual, he didn't want me to feel like I was going without something and suggested that if I found a girl I was interested in having a relationship with, she could move in with us and I could conduct relationships with both of them simultaneously. I personally wouldn't have felt comfortable sharing myself, and I don't feel like I'm 'missing out' when in a relationship with a person (to me, you date one person at a time, whether they be boy or girl, there's none of this 'I'm bi so I have to have a gf on the side' etc), so that situation never eventuated - but it could have if I were a different person.
And I do see how a lot of people, both male and female, would be attracted to this sort of relationship. I mean, we all get bored with our partners at times, we all have problems and feelings regarding our partners that we want to discuss with friends or whatever but sometimes can't (so you might discuss them with one of your other partners, as you feel close enough to them to trust them, unlike friends, and are comfortable talking about intimate things with them, unlike family members etc), and sometimes it's nice to get a bit of a thrill out of a new attraction/infatuation, or knowing that someone other than our partner is sexually attracted to us.

But yeah, polygamy/amory is by no means restricted to fundamentalist sects where women are treated as property - women engage in polyamory too and are quite happy to do so. As far as I'm concerned, each to their own, and as long as each participant knows what they are walking into, kudos for being able to juggle such a difficult relationship!
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 13th, 2007 at 02:11pm
People start dating, and sometimes they fall in love, they might break up and then a few relationships later they fall in love with another person. Who's to say this can't happen at the same time?
What annoys me though is how some use it as an excuse to cheat - this is wrong and has given polyamory a bad name.
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
August 13th, 2007 at 11:32pm
I don't personally believe that you can have true love with more than one person. I see romantic love as something that can only be shared sincerely between two people.

On the other hand, though, I strongly believe in loving everyone.
Not romantically, but through a kind of friendship love called 'agape' (uh-GAW-pay)

Some people may have lust for eachother, but that is a very different thing from true love. Personally, I believe that each person is intended for one other soul mate. When you find your soul mate, you find true, pure, and unconditional love.
AprilViolence
Killjoy
AprilViolence
August 14th, 2007 at 08:00am
I think human capability of love is infinite. I believe some people who live in polyamory are being sincere. You CAN be in love with more than one person at any given time.

Personally, I find it very hard to cope when I'm in love or relationships, so it'd be almost torture to me to have more than one love at the time. But yeah.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
August 16th, 2007 at 09:13am
you can love several persons but to a different degree
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 17th, 2007 at 05:56am
druscilla; ryry:
If everyone's happy with the situation, sure.
If not, make your choice.
totally agree with you.
in my religion it says. that a guy can have as many wives as he pleases if all them are happy with each other.
so yeah its not really bad if everyone is happy
androidgirl
Motor Baby
androidgirl
August 17th, 2007 at 08:38am
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

if polygamy's the case, well i think it sucks cause it doesnt provide equal rights to women or men and how could someone love a person wholeheartedly if that person has another one in his/her heart?
Benniks
Jazz Hands
Benniks
August 19th, 2007 at 04:40am
I think that it all depends on the persons attitude. It is suggested that humans are the type of animals to have many sexual partners, if that accounts for anything...
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 19th, 2007 at 09:43pm
alyssaisnotyetdead:
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

if polygamy's the case, well i think it sucks cause it doesnt provide equal rights to women or men and how could someone love a person wholeheartedly if that person has another one in his/her heart?

Well there's two categories of polygamy, in one the men can have multiple wives [polygyny] and in the other women can have many husbands [polyandry]. I'm pretty sure no culture has both as a common practice--it depends on what's evolutionarily stable--but in this day and age when we talk about equal rights, I'm pretty sure both could occur in the same location. And if all parties involved are content, I don't see anything wrong with it.

broken.
Jazz Hands
broken.
August 21st, 2007 at 04:31am

Mkk.
I get the feeling this may not go anywhere.

Most of us have made our opinions here clear and I must say, they're pretty clear & valid.

So new question: (its a spin off on the topic so no worries)

Would you personally practice Polyamory OR Polygamory for that matter?
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:42am
No, I wouldn't practise polygamy.
Mainly because I find being with one person trying enough on me emotionally.
So being with more than one person would probably drive a little crazy.
Added to the fact that if I married two or more blokes, one would bound to get all pissy and jealous of the other[s].
But if you can handle it, I think that's fine.=]

As for polyamory, I believe it can happen. I've never been in love, but when I do, I'll see if it can happen with more than one person.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 21st, 2007 at 07:53pm
I personally don't feel like I could do it. I'm a very jealous and posessive person by nature. I think that if all parties involved are aware and consenting then that's fine, but personally I'm just not emotionally capable of all the stress involved.

iamnotok
Killjoy
iamnotok
August 28th, 2007 at 07:47pm
i dnt belive in true love but i belve you can grow to love peopel so if you spend enough time with alot of people then yea you can hav muliple marriage i think it also should b leagal but i dnt think i would eva be a poligamist
eepshyes
Shotgun Sinner
eepshyes
August 29th, 2007 at 01:21am
I don't think it's really for us to decide. It's possible to love more then one person.
I'd never do this, but you know. It's not my buisness.
believing.
Salute You in Your Grave
believing.
December 15th, 2008 at 02:41pm
It is possible to love more than one person, but only if they really mean it.

Sometimes, you just can't help the ones you fall in love with.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 15th, 2008 at 02:46pm
I think consenting adults have the right to enter into that kind of relationship if they wish. However, I don't support any legal recognition of poly-amorous relationships, such as marriage.