Don't have an account? Create one!

Cellphones and Driving

AuthorMessage
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
October 19th, 2008 at 11:50pm
^^^ How are older drivers MORE hazardous? I don't agree that they shuold be allowed to drive while talking/texting. But the law is there to prevent young people from having another way to die on the roads. It's a very dangerous thing driving, so I think that law is a good idea. Even though, older adults shouldn't be allowed to use phones either
Stand!I'mStillHere
Awake and Unafraid
Stand!I'mStillHere
November 6th, 2008 at 12:38am
Goth Juice:
older adults shouldn't be allowed to use phones either
I completely agree. I can't stand when I'm in the car and there's grown people who are driving extra slow, or almost hitting people because they are so engulfed in their conversation. I know the law-at least where I am-says that you are supposed to only use the phone if there's an ear piece. However, I see people all the time holding their phone to their ear, talking, and driving with one hand. I think it completely causes the driver distraction. Maybe being on a cell phone when driving should be banned for all ages.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
November 6th, 2008 at 03:10am
^^^ I agree. It should be banned for all ages, but having a head piece is okay with me. Because that's the same as talking to the passengers in the car. As long as your paying more attention to the road than the conversation that is.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
February 4th, 2009 at 11:30pm
Mandi4MCR:
truthfully i dont see a problem with driving and texting as long as your paying attention and worrying more about driving than texting! also this isnt a problem in my state so personally this doesnt even effect me! so yea....

You've never cut a dead 19 year old girl out of her car. And yes she was texting. You can't see through your phone's screen.
Justanotherstar
Salute You in Your Grave
Justanotherstar
February 6th, 2009 at 09:19am
Between the ages of 16-18? That's silly!
Here in England it is against the law for anyone to use their mobile phone whilst driving,
People still do it though.
Personally I'd never ever drive and use my phone at the same time.
I'm a bad enough driver as it is hah.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 6th, 2009 at 09:40am
S713:
You've never cut a dead 19 year old girl out of her car. And yes she was texting. You can't see through your phone's screen.
I totally agree. And, most idiots that text while driving aren't sitting there holding the phone up so they can try to look past it - I see them with one hand on the wheel, the phone held in the other hand down near their lap with their eyes COMPLETELY off the road so they can look at what they're reading/typing.
F***ing pathetic, juvenile, reckless and idiotic behaviour.
I seriously hope people who think texting while driving are involved in a serious car accident so they can see what kind of danger they put themselves and plenty of innocent people in every time they think a text message is more important than focusing on HANDLING AT LEAST ONE TONNE OF POTENTIALLY LETHAL STEEL.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
February 6th, 2009 at 10:10am
Personaly, I think texting is worse than talkin gon a ohone whilke driving, but both are ridiculously dangerous for both the persondriving, other road users and pedestrians.

I have once used a phone while driving, and i regret it even though nothing bad happened, it's an awful thing to do. If it goes off while I'm driving, I'll either ask someone else to answer, or just ignore it till I get where I'm going. Trust me, no text is more important than driving.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
February 6th, 2009 at 12:40pm
I think what people need ot realise is it's not just about you when you're driving - you need to think about the person behind, you in front of you, who's in front of them, etc.

You need to give the road your full attention; no matter how good a driver you are, you can't focus on two things at once. Your reactions will always be slower, and it's too dangerous to risk.

And it's not even neccessary. You never send an 'emergency text' do you? I can understand calls, but just pull into a service station.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
February 6th, 2009 at 06:16pm
Urgh, it severely annoys me seeing people driving while talking on their phones. They must know that it's against the law, and for those who do know, it's against the law for a reason. A lot of them probably think "Oh, well it's only a short call, it'll be over in a minute." or "I'm good at driving, I'll be fine." or "Meh, what are the chances it'll happen to me?" and it's just like... >.< >.< >.<
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
February 9th, 2009 at 11:08pm
Cigarettes And Suicide:
S713:
I totally agree. And, most idiots that text while driving aren't sitting there holding the phone up so they can try to look past it - I see them with one hand on the wheel, the phone held in the other hand down near their lap with their eyes COMPLETELY off the road so they can look at what they're reading/typing.
F***ing pathetic, juvenile, reckless and idiotic behaviour.
I seriously hope people who think texting while driving are involved in a serious car accident so they can see what kind of danger they put themselves and plenty of innocent people in every time they think a text message is more important than focusing on HANDLING AT LEAST ONE TONNE OF POTENTIALLY LETHAL STEEL.

you do realize that then they would be hurting innocent people.
unfortunatley I've seen enough accidents where a minivan full of kids and their soccer mom are getting to scouts or whatever while some reckless idiot trying to tell his buddy that he's grabbing some more beer or lighting his cigerette crashes into them. Thts what happened to me, my family was in an accident cause some guy was lighting his cigerette.

You think there should be some secret test that people have to go through so then idiots like that can't hurt other people, guess its our society's new way of natural selection
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 10th, 2009 at 02:37am
Decimated Stars:
you do realize that then they would be hurting innocent people.

No, I mean they should drive off the road and wrap their car around a tree/telegraph pole. Single vehicle accident where the only blame can lie with them, the only person hurt is them.

Don't worry, I know all about the 'ripple' effect that other people's bad driving has on others. My father, grandmother, aunt and a friend of my dad's were almost killed in a car accident when my father was 14. My grandmother and aunt had gone to pick my dad and his friend up from scouts (funny that you mention it) when they were run off the road by a drunk driver in a stolen car who was being pursued by police. The car rolled into a ditch, landing on its roof, and to this day all the people involved have permanent injuries - nothing serious, but it is still there to remind them every day. Dad lost ten teeth in the front of his mouth where his face hit the dashboard (so he's worn dentures since he was 14 and has to pay ridiculous prices to get new ones every few years), my grandmother had most of the bones in her face broken and suffers sinus problems (as a child I used to laugh at her 'sniffing', until it was explained to me that she'd been injured in the accident and this was what happened to her), and my aunt never got her driver's licence because she's terrified of something similar happening to her again.
Bear in mind that this happened nearly 40 years ago.
And it still happens every day, to innocent people. It was just luck that my family members made it out alive and were lucky enough to escape serious, debilitating injury. They have been able to go on and live their lives, marry, have kids, go to university and the rest. So many people have lost that opportunity.

So please, guys. Don't use your phones while driving. There is no phone call, no text message, that is important enough to put your life and the lives of innocent people at risk. You can always return a missed call - you can never return a life that's been taken in an unnecessary accident.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
February 10th, 2009 at 11:07am
Cigarettes And Suicide:

No, I mean they should drive off the road and wrap their car around a tree/telegraph pole. Single vehicle accident where the only blame can lie with them, the only person hurt is them.

Don't worry, I know all about the 'ripple' effect that other people's bad driving has on others. My father, grandmother, aunt and a friend of my dad's were almost killed in a car accident when my father was 14. My grandmother and aunt had gone to pick my dad and his friend up from scouts (funny that you mention it) when they were run off the road by a drunk driver in a stolen car who was being pursued by police. The car rolled into a ditch, landing on its roof, and to this day all the people involved have permanent injuries - nothing serious, but it is still there to remind them every day. Dad lost ten teeth in the front of his mouth where his face hit the dashboard (so he's worn dentures since he was 14 and has to pay ridiculous prices to get new ones every few years), my grandmother had most of the bones in her face broken and suffers sinus problems (as a child I used to laugh at her 'sniffing', until it was explained to me that she'd been injured in the accident and this was what happened to her), and my aunt never got her driver's license because she's terrified of something similar happening to her again.
Bear in mind that this happened nearly 40 years ago.
And it still happens every day, to innocent people. It was just luck that my family members made it out alive and were lucky enough to escape serious, debilitating injury. They have been able to go on and live their lives, marry, have kids, go to university and the rest. So many people have lost that opportunity.

So please, guys. Don't use your phones while driving. There is no phone call, no text message, that is important enough to put your life and the lives of innocent people at risk. You can always return a missed call - you can never return a life that's been taken in an unnecessary accident.
ok, thanks for clarifying that. I had a really good friend who when she was like 5 had to have an arm amputated due to a car crash where it was a drunk drivers fault. Her whole life is that much more difficult because some douche wanted few drinks.

The thing is, there's so many laws against drunk driving and driving while being on your phone....but people still do it. The police can do what they can to cut it down, but there's still hundreds of people on my state of California who drive and text or drive drunk or put on mascara while driving, all these stupid unimportant things that can cause a five-year-old girl to lose her arm or to lose her life. So you can complain how scary and dangerous it is, but if its still going on, more serious actions should be taken so this can be avioded.

It's kinda sick to think about, but car accidents are almost like now-a-days nautre's way of natural selection, and I don't think thats right.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
February 12th, 2009 at 03:13pm
It's scary. I've been hearing that more people get into accidents while talking or texting on cell phones rather than drunk driving.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 12th, 2009 at 09:11pm
^ Probably because everybody KNOWS that driving while intoxicated impairs your ability to drive safely, but idiots who text and drive think they're not doing anything wrong. So, more people do it.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 11:09am
i think it's an unnecessary driving hazard. things like bluetooth connectors to talk without holding your phone are not very expensive.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 20th, 2009 at 07:32pm
patrick stump.:
things like bluetooth connectors to talk without holding your phone are not very expensive.
I still think that even bluetooth headsets are dangerous while driving. The conversation can distract the driver and they may not be paying full attention.

Some people I know even hate people in the car talking to them while they're driving because they're scared of being distracted. So for some people it's probably best to just pull over and answer the phone instead of taking it while driving.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 10:21pm
Mindfuck:
I still think that even bluetooth headsets are dangerous while driving. The conversation can distract the driver and they may not be paying full attention.

Some people I know even hate people in the car talking to them while they're driving because they're scared of being distracted. So for some people it's probably best to just pull over and answer the phone instead of taking it while driving.

yeah that's true. i mean, i don't think people should talk on the phone at all when in the car but i think if people feel they must they should at ast use a handsfree device.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
February 20th, 2009 at 10:29pm
I'm okay with people talking on the phone. My mom talks on the phone while driving all the time and she's never crashed while doing it. I don't see anything wrong with driving and talking on the phone at the same time.

But I think texting while driving is stupid, because when you text, you actually look at what you're saying to another person, not saying it out loud and looking at something else. It's stupid.

And as for the earpeice thing... I think it would be fine.

Just really experianced drivers, like my parents, are safe to drive while talking on the phone. I don't think it should be illigal.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
February 21st, 2009 at 03:30pm
nameless...:
I'm okay with people talking on the phone. My mom talks on the phone while driving all the time and she's never crashed while doing it. I don't see anything wrong with driving and talking on the phone at the same time.

But I think texting while driving is stupid, because when you text, you actually look at what you're saying to another person, not saying it out loud and looking at something else. It's stupid.

And as for the earpeice thing... I think it would be fine.

Just really experianced drivers, like my parents, are safe to drive while talking on the phone. I don't think it should be illigal.

Just because they haven't had an accident doesn't mean they're safe using a phone whilst driving.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 22nd, 2009 at 07:12pm
nameless...:
My mom talks on the phone while driving all the time and she's never crashed while doing it.

You mean she hasn't crashed *yet*.