Don't have an account? Create one!

The Homeless.

AuthorMessage
Human Wreckage xx
Really Not Okay
Human Wreckage xx
March 10th, 2007 at 10:31pm
how do you feel when you see someone without a home?

how do you think people get to that point?

how do you think they feel?

is it really their fault that they are homeless?

overall feelings on the homeless?
mcr_lover_duvna
Killjoy
mcr_lover_duvna
March 10th, 2007 at 10:36pm
I feel bad for people out on the streets and if they are sat begging for money I always give them something.
I think most get to that point through bad decision making, and probably just a hard life in general through drugs, alcohol, gambling and some just wander the streets due to mental illness.
I always wonder how the feel walking around or just sat there hoping people will give them anything.

It depends on the situation to wether or not its their fault they are homeless. I think that people should always be willing to help the obvious misfortunate.
g.hostFACER!
Jazz Hands
g.hostFACER!
March 10th, 2007 at 11:24pm
Well yeah I mean some people just lose their jobs and can't get one and were unfortunate enough to lose their homes... which is just awful. And when they're trying to get jobs but can't JUST because they're homeless? That's just awful. So I always give the people asking for money a break because I know that they're trying. They just need help.

Now, if the people are total bums and drugged out drunkies? No way! It's their own dang fault and they have to live with it.
mcr_lover_duvna
Killjoy
mcr_lover_duvna
March 11th, 2007 at 01:07am
But what if those people resorted to drugs or alcohol because they did just lose their jobs and their home and they just need help, some people can get easily addicted and just can't get out.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
March 11th, 2007 at 05:31am
It upsets me to see people begging on the street. And because I often have no money on me I just walk past looking at my feet.
I feel really guilty afterwwards though.
I reckon the government should do more to help them. If they are alchaholic / drug addicts, then help them not to be! Put them in programs, and help them to get a job that pays them decently enough so that they can then be helped to get a home.
I'm sure that 99% of people who are there on the streets don't want to be.
Toothy
Salute You in Your Grave
Toothy
March 11th, 2007 at 07:41am
There are alot of reasons why someone might be homeless.
Its unfair to look at someone homeless and say 'Oh well they are like that because of drugs or aclohol' , like my dad does, because thats not nesciarily (sp?) true.

Of course, people can't give every homeless person they see money. But people could atleast not judge or stare or whatever at them.
I reckon more could be done to help them. More could be done to help alot of people and less could be done/spent on other things.
mental_scottish_lass
Joining The Black Parade
mental_scottish_lass
March 11th, 2007 at 02:15pm
I feel bad for the people who are homeless but i dont give money because i feel that when i do i give it to the wrong people who dont need the money.
It also makes me feel disgusted with the people who dont need the money that are out on the streets as there is no need.
we're pretty. odd.
Always Born a Crime
we're pretty. odd.
March 14th, 2007 at 05:10am
I personally don't feel bad for the homeless; I had a huge chat with a mate and my Nan about this.

The homeless get money (In Australia, at least) every week. It's called "the doll" and they get enough to sustain three meals a day and rent a flat. But no, they'd rather spend it on a) drugs, b) alchohol or c) whatever else there is to spend money on.

It's their own damn fault they live in the gutter. Apart from kids. With kids, it's different, because they don't get compo or anything like that.
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
March 14th, 2007 at 08:43am
laura's last words;;:
I personally don't feel bad for the homeless; I had a huge chat with a mate and my Nan about this.

The homeless get money (In Australia, at least) every week. It's called "the doll" and they get enough to sustain three meals a day and rent a flat. But no, they'd rather spend it on a) drugs, b) alchohol or c) whatever else there is to spend money on.

It's their own damn fault they live in the gutter. Apart from kids. With kids, it's different, because they don't get compo or anything like that.

...I'm assuming that since your age says your 13 that you've never been on a Centrelink payment.
The basic rate for Youth Allowance/Newstart (the doll) is NOT enough to cover expenses. I've been unemployed now for a month or so and am on a Centrelink payment and I cannot afford to pay rent/pay bills AND food. There is certainly no money at ALL left over to do anything fun.

So basically, I can understand why SOME people on the doll WANT to turn to alcohol or drugs. I mean, basically life sucks. You're constantly struggling to just LIVE, some people aren't that strong and just give up.

I don't blame the homeless for being that way. I believe that EVERYONE DESERVES to have the basic things in life like food and shelter.
I mean, even the worst murderers are provided that in gaol, surely everyone deserves that.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
March 14th, 2007 at 09:01am
i believe its...the "dole"

the only thing i hate about homeless people is the way big city hot shots walk by kick them and yell "get a job!"

like its that easy.
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
March 15th, 2007 at 12:48am
Frankie-Oreo:
i believe its...the "dole"

the only thing i hate about homeless people is the way big city hot shots walk by kick them and yell "get a job!"

like its that easy.

Hahaha, I've never called it that so I wouldn't know.
Well that's a good point as well, once you're homeless it's not like you can just walk into a place and ask for a job. It's alot harder than that.

Personally I think the government should be doing more. Like The Big Issue is a great program but it's not like it's going to help everyone or even close to most homeless people.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
March 15th, 2007 at 01:20pm
I feel sad when I see someone without a home. Having known many homeless people (through customers at my old job) I know that everyone who becomes homeless does it through different ways.

Some are down on their luck, out of money, too old to get accepted into most jobs where technology and higher education are required. Some of them have mental disorders which prevent them from thinking rationally. Some have simply given up. Some are addicts whose addictions have drove them to sell everything they own for drugs. Some are runaways that never found a place to live.

My stepbrother was a coke addict and he was homeless for a while. He lost his job due to drug use, his wife left him, he felt even worse so he used more drugs. He ran out of money and moved in with his friends, who he stole from so he could buy more drugs. He got kicked out, started living in his car.

A homeless woman I knew was very popular in my town. She wore a long fur coat and pushed a buggy full of her belongings around town. She kept a stray puppy for a pet. Someone who knew her, said she came from a wealthy family. She had an abusive husband whom she ran away from and eventually went mad. Mentally, she wasn't functioning anymore and her family couldn't deal with her. So she wandered homeless for many years. She was extremely tanned, muscular and toothless. But she had money and she would buy stuff from the store I worked in. Strange and sad.

I feel guilty when I give homeless change, I want to help them but I'm never sure who's scamming for quick money and who's really starving. I once saw a man in a wheel chair push his way down the street with his fully working legs asking for money. If I have food, I'll give that. But money, I just can't trust them. So I donate to foundations that reach out to them and get them on their feet.
Tacky and Irrelevant
Salute You in Your Grave
Tacky and Irrelevant
March 15th, 2007 at 11:15pm
Is it really their fault that they are homeless?
It depends on the person. There are many people here at my country who are homeless becuase their parents are bad rome models and they never learn anything ot had no education. With no education here there is no good job at all. Some people are homeless becuase they chose not to work when they have the opportunity.

There are many organizations, schools, churchs, etc. who raise money for children to get education, homeless people who lost their house for different reasons and for orphans.

My family doesn't like to give money to children who ask for it at the streets. Some of those children are forced to do that and hen give all the money to the parents, gangs, guardians, etc.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
March 18th, 2007 at 09:40pm
Homelessness is certainly a tragedy. Regardless of faults and blames, I believe that everyone deserves a bed to sleep in and good food to eat and a chance at a better life.

It really does get to be a vicious cycle. Once you're homeless, it's very difficult to get a job and get back on your feet. Granted, there are programs and shelters, but employers are picky about the people they hire. If you don't have a phone number they can get back to and a place to shower every morning, you're pretty much screwed.

I don't believe in giving everyone a free ride, of course. Too many lazy people would just take advantage of that. But I think that there should be more and better programs that allow the homeless to get work, more food programs [such as food not bombs] to feed them while they're out there, and so on.
Morrigan
Killjoy
Morrigan
March 20th, 2007 at 09:43pm
Most of the homeless I see i feel bad for but there are a couple of junkies who so obviously put themselves there through drug useage and whatnot that i just can't pity them
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
March 21st, 2007 at 02:04pm
supervegan;zombify!:
Once you're homeless, it's very difficult to get a job and get back on your feet. Granted, there are programs and shelters, but employers are picky about the people they hire. If you don't have a phone number they can get back to and a place to shower every morning, you're pretty much screwed.

I've seen dozens of homeless people with cellphones in New York. It's disturbing to see someone begging for cash on the subway and watch them checking their Razr phone for messages.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
March 21st, 2007 at 04:48pm
some are probably bullsh*tting. some may be recently out of house and home and still have minutes left/have the rest of the month to go.
Quinnmobile.
Jazz Hands
Quinnmobile.
March 21st, 2007 at 06:37pm
I feel terrible when i see a homeless person begging on the side of the street.
I see them all the time in Toronto.
Sadly, its a reality for many adults, and teenagers and sometimes even childeren.
I feel bad, yet i still wonder.
How did they end up here?
Depends on the person and what happened to them.
Sometimes kids are abandoned on the streets by their parents.
Sometimes a teenager runs away from home.
Sometime an adult looses a job.
Homelessness is terrible.
XmikeysunicornX
Killjoy
XmikeysunicornX
March 23rd, 2007 at 09:47pm
i feel bad when i see a homeless person...
Murder Magician
Salute You in Your Grave
Murder Magician
March 24th, 2007 at 02:56am
I have sympathy for homeless people, just because I'm not one to judge.
& I don't know the reason on how/why they ended up on the streets.