Don't have an account? Create one!

Guitar Picks

AuthorMessage
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
July 25th, 2007 at 11:48pm
I'm still a beginner at guitar, I'm a slow learner. Just recently I've gone through my first picks (fender mediums) and went out to get some more.

I bought a cheap pack to try out, because they had small/medium/large.

I can't really understand the differences between medium/large. One is longer, the other is just a bit fatter...and is easier for me to keep a good grip of. I strum too hard to play with the small pick... it bends too much for comfort.

So I was just wondering what types of picks and sizes everyone uses. Does size matter? Does brand and cost of picks matter? Are picks just whatever floats your grip?
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
July 26th, 2007 at 12:53am
Dunlop 0,96mm, pink, blank.

They're nice to play with. Thick enough for pinch harmonics and not breaking the strings.
Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
July 26th, 2007 at 06:42am
I use start Jazz guitar picks even though I don't play jazz. I don't know how thickit is.. but its the thickest of the brand.

I like the fact that the thinner, narrower tip makes it glide over the strings effortlessly and its really good for solos because its faster at picking.
Silverstein
Bleeding on the Floor
Silverstein
July 26th, 2007 at 10:49pm
I use 0.72 (or so, they're red) Brain picks. The surface is rough for gripping.
Lounge Fly
Bleeding on the Floor
Lounge Fly
August 3rd, 2007 at 12:26pm
I use a Dunlop 0.71mm pick. I don't have a preference though; it was just the only one in the store when I bought them.
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
August 11th, 2007 at 10:44pm
i really don't use picks if i can avoid it... all i have is one half-broken acoustic. all i'm saying is i've never had to spend two hours trying to get my finger out of my guitar... lol. other than that, i use some little no-name picks that came with it. they don't have anything about them on them, they're just red, yellow, and blue. oh well, they work and they're free. what more could i ask for?
Funky Crime
Bleeding on the Floor
Funky Crime
August 12th, 2007 at 02:31am
I'm good with or without using picks, depending on the genre. When I play blues, it's a lot easier for me to use my fingers, same when I play country. Johnny Cash stuff is easier for the fingers because his songs are basically the same rythem over and over again. B.B. King is easy for fingers two, NOT because what he does is easy, but because he doesn't play chords, and it's easy to pick with my fingers if there aren't any chords.

When I play a lot of punk music, mainly because of the picking style with guitar picks, and the down down motion, I use thin Fender picks. doing a lot of metal, like say ZZ Top, and classic rock like Heart, it's also easy for me to use thin picks rather than heavy, but I'm good with using heavy for metal.
Hatebreeder.
Salute You in Your Grave
Hatebreeder.
August 18th, 2007 at 07:48pm
it dosent matter that much. my dad gave me a special one which if you hold at the back it bends (this good for strumming) and hold just at the end wont bend (this good for picking)
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 18th, 2007 at 11:31pm
I tend to use medium picks when I'm playing more chords and power chords and heavier picks when I'm doing more solos and such. I play bass as well so I tend to lean towards using a heavier pick. I have a bunch of dunlop .71 mm's and even a 2 mm, but different kinds work for different styles I think.

Danielle;; A7X_
Motor Baby
Danielle;; A7X_
August 19th, 2007 at 12:48am
i use a dunlop 2mm xDD
qianthefirst
Joining The Black Parade
qianthefirst
March 8th, 2008 at 03:31am
heavier picks allow you to get a better 'grip' on the string to make them sound clearer and thinner pics are for chords and stuff where you have to go across the strings fast.
heavier pics makes solos easier
ain't got no soul.
Salute You in Your Grave
ain't got no soul.
March 8th, 2008 at 01:07pm
Star Picks FTW!

I forget how thick mine is.. But it is quite thin. It is extremely durable. Other than that, I use Fender (heavy) picks. They work well but grind down easily.
inactive.
Jazz Hands
inactive.
March 8th, 2008 at 04:51pm
Danielle;; A7X_:
i use a dunlop 2mm xDD

Hahahaha, same here. Gator grip!
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
March 10th, 2008 at 06:37pm
I've grown accustomed to playing with my thumb because of my Guitar class, but sometimes I take a pick to school, and they're thin. I can't use heavy picks. They somehow end up in my mouth. I chew on picks 'cause when I'm thinking, I need something in my mouth, and a pick works for me. [/random] I use thin picks the most.
mer von d
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mer von d
April 1st, 2008 at 08:20pm
well it depends what sound you're after, ultimately the thicker the pick the louder/ harsher the sound, esp. playing an acoustic.
and one with grippy bits helps if you drop picks all the time like me. and if you're tarded like me and lose all your picks, a ten cent piece works mighty fine (yay for aussie bogan-ness)
Vlud
Fabulous Killjoy
Vlud
April 1st, 2008 at 09:24pm
WELL I HAVE AN ANOUNCEMENT TO MAKE!!!!!! TO ALL OF YOU!!!!! I DON'T BUY PICKS, 'CAUSE I'M SO DAMN BROKE THAT I CUT MY DAD'S EXPIERED CREDIT CARDS AND MAKE MY OOOWWWWNNN!!!!! PICKS!!! SO HA, HA TO ALL OF YOU [Oh God, i'm an embarrassment to myself]
mer von d
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mer von d
April 1st, 2008 at 09:25pm
cutting up ice cream containers works well too lol
We Are The Ocean
Salute You in Your Grave
We Are The Ocean
April 2nd, 2008 at 09:30am
i used to play with really thin picks and then medium until my teacher told me off and bought me a big stubby one
colin meloy.
Bulletproof Heart
colin meloy.
April 3rd, 2008 at 03:28am
ain't got no soul.:
I use Fender (heavy) picks. They work well but grind down easily.

Haha, I used to use them. If I used one playing bass, it would wear out like, the second time I used it. Laughing
Now I use the Jim Dunlop Tortex picks. I think the ones I use are .7 mil or so.
Sympathy
Jazz Hands
Sympathy
April 3rd, 2008 at 03:11pm
I let our bassist borrow one of my 3mm picks when she'd lost hers, she totally shredded it in about two hours..

I like using the little small ones, not thin, but small in shape. You know? I prefer the Jazz II or III ones. I use black for electric and red for acoustic, because they're made out of different plastic and one just sounds better.
When I've lost all of those I use either the normal Big Stubby's, or you know the littler shaped versions? They're so much easier for me to grip and move around.
I can solo really well with the Jazz picks though.