Don't have an account? Create one!

separation of church and state

AuthorMessage
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
December 7th, 2007 at 10:48pm
feelings on it?
do you think that its a big political issue?
is it being inforced in your opinion?
do you think its fair or unfair?

tell us all about it...
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
December 7th, 2007 at 11:07pm

Give us some info on it because I don't understand what you mean.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
December 8th, 2007 at 03:35am
separation of church and state means that there are no laws prohibiting the practice of any religion and is to be kept out of school and politics, etc.
so basicly, teachers cant preach about religion, they cant say anything about it pretty much, same as politics. pretty much the only time its ok to preach about your religion, is among other people on your own free time, at home, or out with friends, at church (or where ever you practice)

a few days ago i had a sub at school and me and him got into a religious debate, started by him, he shouldnt even have said anything, so how do you feel about that law? is it being enforced enough, etc?
never coming home.
Bleeding on the Floor
never coming home.
December 8th, 2007 at 09:09am
---I understand the law because there are many religions and some people believe that if someone believes in a different religion or even a different "version" of the same religion that that person is wrong. If a teacher starts talking about God and Jesus in front of a class some people might get upset because they may believe in buddhism, athieism, etc. So just for the sake of peace, I support the law.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
December 8th, 2007 at 09:45am
As an atheist/agnostic, I do not want to be forced to follow laws or live in a country where the Christian [sp?], Buddhist, or whatever faith is the basis of all the laws. it is unfair to everybody else, and I do not think it is being enforced enough. Think of gay rights- the only reason they don't have any, is because "god" says it is wrong.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
December 9th, 2007 at 09:34pm
exactly! if god didnt "say" it was wrong in the bible, then i bet there wouldnt even be an issue. but anyways, i really dont think its being enforced enough because even if i did agree with the teacher's beliefs, it should not be discussed in a class room because other people dont agree with it. and i wanted to listen to people preach about god and jesus, i'd go to church.
Nerual
Bleeding on the Floor
Nerual
December 10th, 2007 at 01:47am
I think it's definitely fair because I don't want to be forced to believe in a certain religion when I don't think there's anything out there.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
December 10th, 2007 at 03:56pm
I think it's important to be taught about other religions, and to gain an understanding of them and their beliefs, to avoid ignorance and to open up our learning.

But religion should never be forced upon a person.

In my RE classes, I find my teacher quite biased, and when he's talking about his religion (he's a Catholic), it's almost as if he isn't teaching me the Catholic Church's views and beliefs, but that their beliefs and views are correct, which I don't like.
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
December 11th, 2007 at 01:08am
i think the seperation of church and state is a good thing as we live in mulitcultural societies where there is diversituy of religion. everyone should be free to their own religious beliefs and lack of seperation can comprise this. totalatarian islamic states or medieval christain anyone?
i however do not think that there is a clear seperation today.
christain values still dominate many political decisions in western countries.
eg. gay marriage, euthanasia etc.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
December 11th, 2007 at 07:51am
Oh Star.:
I think it's important to be taught about other religions, and to gain an understanding of them and their beliefs, to avoid ignorance and to open up our learning.

But religion should never be forced upon a person.

In my RE classes, I find my teacher quite biased, and when he's talking about his religion (he's a Catholic), it's almost as if he isn't teaching me the Catholic Church's views and beliefs, but that their beliefs and views are correct, which I don't like.

i agree, we need to learn about them so if we ever wanted to make a choice we'd know what we're getting ourselves into.
When i went to a Catholic school for a short amount of time my RE teacher would only teach the Catholic side of things and he called Agnostic "sitting on the fence" which is incredibly rude because at least we wont be wrong or right in the end when someone finally finds out. he was basically teaching us that your all going to hell if your not a Catholic.

i found it highly disgusting that religion is forced onto kids. even in public schools they have it sometimes.
love on her arms.
Bleeding on the Floor
love on her arms.
December 29th, 2007 at 03:30pm
Personelly, when i hear this i think of the people who say there shouldn't be x-mas trees in Public or santa claus.

I live in american and im a catholic so i celebrate x-mas.

The thing is you dont have to join the religion.

This Country was Founded by Christians.

Laws following religion like the stuff in Saudi Arabia is complete Shit.
I disagree with it completely.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
December 29th, 2007 at 04:16pm
Another Broken Heart:
Personally, when i hear this i think of the people who say there shouldn't be x-mas trees in Public or Santa Claus.

I live in American and I'm a catholic so i celebrate x-mas.

The thing is you don't have to join the religion.

This County was Founded by Christians.

Well the thing is, I guess its not so much the fact of the x-mas tree then the fact that they don't put any Hanuka or w/e other holiday decorations up. And it seems like they are pressuring Christmas and Santa Claus and what that holiday stands for, onto the children. When it IS a PUBLIC school, if you wanted to go to a school w/ religious teaching in it, go to Sunday school or Catholic school etc. Don't put it somewhere unless your going to decorate for all the holidays that everyone celebrates, and don't pressure them into it. My friends and I are in choir and we are supposed to sing RELIGIOUS songs for the concert for Christmas, and its a requirement to go to the concert, basically don't go and sing and get an F in that class and don't get a credit for that semester for graduation. And two of my friends in that class are Atheist, and asked if we could sing less religious songs for Christmas, and she told them to either suck it up and sing it, or transfer. And I honestly don't think it's right. Its not fair to those who don't believe it and made to. Its like telling a Christian to sing a song about Satan, and Satanic beliefs. No one likes it. Especially considering its a law and we go to a public school.
love on her arms.
Bleeding on the Floor
love on her arms.
December 30th, 2007 at 10:03am
xXLiesXx:
Another Broken Heart:
Personally, when i hear this i think of the people who say there shouldn't be x-mas trees in Public or Santa Claus.

Well the thing is, I guess its not so much the fact of the x-mas tree then the fact that they don't put any Hanuka or w/e other holiday decorations up. And it seems like they are pressuring Christmas and Santa Claus and what that holiday stands for, onto the children. When it IS a PUBLIC school, if you wanted to go to a school w/ religious teaching in it, go to Sunday school or Catholic school etc. Don't put it somewhere unless your going to decorate for all the holidays that everyone celebrates, and don't pressure them into it. My friends and I are in choir and we are supposed to sing RELIGIOUS songs for the concert for Christmas, and its a requirement to go to the concert, basically don't go and sing and get an F in that class and don't get a credit for that semester for graduation. And two of my friends in that class are Atheist, and asked if we could sing less religious songs for Christmas, and she told them to either suck it up and sing it, or transfer. And I honestly don't think it's right. Its not fair to those who don't believe it and made to. Its like telling a Christian to sing a song about Satan, and Satanic beliefs. No one likes it. Especially considering its a law and we go to a public school.

I kinda agree.

Religion Shouldn't be taut in our schools.
We dont have x-mas concert, we have a winter concert.
But the thing is, should the schools change for a few people?
When you look at it as a hole there its not a few people its thousands,
but if you want religion in schools go to a catholic school.
If you dont want it go to public school and thats the way it should be.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 30th, 2007 at 04:42pm
Well, I'm a Christian, and I DEFINITELY agree with the separation of church and state, because it makes churches tax-exempt, and I don't feel that churches should have to pay taxes...especially if they promote a certain set of doctrines.

Think about it....if our government promoted Christianity as the national religion, it would be unfair for them to require that, say, Buddhist and Jewish temples pay taxes.

It would create a whole myriad of problems, and I don't think it would be right.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 30th, 2007 at 04:54pm
xXLiesXx:

Hey, there;

While I see your point about the Christmas decorations, and the danger of being exclusionary here (promoting one faith above anither), I really don't see anything wrong with including classic Christmas carols in a Christmas program.
A lot of the Christmas carols have a lot of history behind them, and musically, they are beautiful. They are a huge part of the holiday, which in it's conception, WAS religious. If you look at the history of Christmas, it had pagan roots, but it came to symbolize the birth of Christ.
I don't think that anybody is trying to make anyone believe ANYTHING by including Christmas carols, but I think that a lot of music teachers see them as an important part of the holiday, not because they promote Jesus or anything, but because they are a HUGE part of the history of the holiday.
Not only that, but I DO think that a lot of the classic carols are just so beautiful, and are a part of our tradition.
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 30th, 2007 at 04:56pm
Another Broken Heart:
xXLiesXx:
Another Broken Heart:

I kinda agree.

I don't think that religion should be taught in schools.....BUT, I do think it would be cool if schools offered more World Religions classes, if only to clear up all of the misconceptions thatare floating around.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
December 30th, 2007 at 05:36pm
Eclipse:
A lot of the Christmas carols have a lot of history behind them, and musically, they are beautiful. They are a huge part of the holiday, which in it's conception, WAS religious. If you look at the history of Christmas, it had pagan roots, but it came to symbolize the birth of Christ.
I don't think that anybody is trying to make anyone believe ANYTHING by including Christmas carols, but I think that a lot of music teachers see them as an important part of the holiday, not because they promote Jesus or anything, but because they are a HUGE part of the history of the holiday.
Not only that, but I DO think that a lot of the classic carols are just so beautiful, and are a part of our tradition.

Yes, I do think some Christmas carols would be okay to sing. And if no one took offense at having to sing them, then the teacher can do whatever she wishes, but the fact that she didn't even take into consideration the fact that others might not want to sing it, it's not right to make someone sing something they don't believe in if they don't want to, and that kids went up and asked her about it, and asked to sing less religious songs, she didn't even try to incoperate less religion related Christmas carols into the concert program. She just said to suck it up, or transfer. And it was near the end of the semester, so they couldn't transfer, and if they did, they would loose a credit and get a bad grade in whatever they transfered to.
love on her arms.
Bleeding on the Floor
love on her arms.
December 30th, 2007 at 06:17pm
Eclipse:
Another Broken Heart:
xXLiesXx:
Another Broken Heart:

I kinda agree.

I don't think that religion should be taught in schools.....BUT, I do think it would be cool if schools offered more World Religions classes, if only to clear up all of the misconceptions thatare floating around.

Im my school we study 3 religion, Christianity, Judaism and Islam
So we know about "major" faiths of the world
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
December 30th, 2007 at 08:58pm
xXLiesXx:
Eclipse:

Yes, I do think some Christmas carols would be okay to sing. And if no one took offense at having to sing them, then the teacher can do whatever she wishes, but the fact that she didn't even take into consideration the fact that others might not want to sing it, it's not right to make someone sing something they don't believe in if they don't want to, and that kids went up and asked her about it, and asked to sing less religious songs, she didn't even try to incoperate less religion related Christmas carols into the concert program. She just said to suck it up, or transfer. And it was near the end of the semester, so they couldn't transfer, and if they did, they would loose a credit and get a bad grade in whatever they transfered to.

I hear ya....how about just incorporating some Christmas carols, as well as some traditional Hannukah songs, and some secular ones...expanding the repertoire a bit, so no one feels left out, and no one is saying that the teacher is being preferential?
OR, if someone feels REALLY strongly about not singing songs that mention Jesus, then those people can just sit those songs out, and not have to participate, but have it not effect the grade.
Either way, I don't think that it's fair for those people who WANT to sing the traditional carols. It would be like the non-religious dictating the whole thing, which IMO, is just as bad as the religious people dictating it.

I say, include the traditional carols, but don't MAKE people sing if they don't want to.
ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
December 31st, 2007 at 03:58pm
well gay people cant get married becuase the president is catholic and his relgion says gays are bad

wo..i just read that and i sound like a 2nd grader