Don't have an account? Create one!

Assisted Suicide/Human Euthanasia

AuthorMessage
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
February 4th, 2008 at 12:18am
Assisted suicide is the process by which an individual, who may otherwise be incapable, is provided with the means (drugs or equipment) to commit suicide. It differs from euthanasia in that, in assisted suicide, the individual performs the critical action, whereas, in euthanasia, another person does it.

Basically, take an old man who is very ill and feel that they have lived life. They would go to a doctor, who would "put them to sleep", much like an animal.

So whats everyone's view on assisted Suicide. Do people have the right to choose when they can die?
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
February 4th, 2008 at 10:24am
I think that, religion aside, everyone has a right to choose when they will die.
Sometimes the criminals on death row get better treatment than an innocent individual.
If I had nothing but years of suffering, my children having to take care of me, a loss of quality of life and numerous medical procedures ahead of me, I would personally want to end it before all of that. I would want people to remember me as a happy person... not a miserable person confined to a bed.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
February 4th, 2008 at 03:43pm
i'm doing assisted suicide in rs
by the way assisted suicide IS euthanasia
which is completely different from suicide so i do no personally see how this thread is a repeat of the suicide thread as they are completely different.(no offence...)

Euthanasia can be either:
Decided by the actual person
Decided by the family/doctor
This is depending on the situation the person is in.

There is also "active euthanasia" and if any of you are avenged sevenfold fans that is what the song Brompton Cocktail was about. It's when someone is given a drug/chemical to make them feel alive for their last hours/days and then it kills them. This is illegal, i personally have no problem with it....
Sex and Candy
Salute You in Your Grave
Sex and Candy
February 6th, 2008 at 04:00pm
I suppose that It could be nice to decide when you gonna die and how, I would also do it if I was really old and nothing to do with my life. so I think in some ways it could be a good thing
Freddy
Always Born a Crime
Freddy
February 6th, 2008 at 06:24pm
isn't there already a thread on euthanasia?
i thought there was....

but if not, i understand that people don't want to be in pain or whatever, but i believe it's selfish of them to ask other people to kill them.
that sort of thing could play on a persons conscious the rest of their lives.
its not fair on them.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
February 8th, 2008 at 05:33pm
If someone is willing to die and is able to make that decision, having thought about it for a while and accepted it, and if someone is willing to help them, then why not? Everyone has the right to choose when they die.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
February 8th, 2008 at 05:38pm
Psyduck I understand what you're saying but say
a relative you are close to was suffering she/he was in so much pain that he/she couldn't hardly move, had trouble breathing, the doctors told you there was no chance of survival so she/he is liturally waiting for death, death doesn't seem to be coming each day she/he is crying out in pain.
For me it'll play more on my concious to watch them suffer then to let them finally rest in peace.

Also the "animal argument"
You hit a animal thats just ran out infront of your car, 3 of its legs are seriously broken (other injuries sustained also) would you finish the job off or would you let it lay in the road and suffer?
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
February 8th, 2008 at 05:52pm
DIE! DIE! DIE!:

It's more about the legal actions, or whether it should be allowed. It's not as much about suicide as it is "should the sick and elderly be allowed to do this"

It may be concidered suicide, but the details of the two topics are quite different .

in assisted suicide, is the person still willing to take their own life, regardless of legal actions?
yes they are.
what does suicide mean? to kill oneself.
they still are related.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
February 9th, 2008 at 05:58am

I believe Assisted Suicide is a good idea in the case of someone very old or terminally ill. However, when someone is feeling down and it has been a 'spur of the moment idea, I don't believe it's right. In cases such as depression, killing the person is not always the best way out. Many people can come out of a depressive state with the help and encouragement that they need.

For terminally ill people, I think it is a good idea if they so want. It allows them to die with the dignity and the respect that they deserve. As well as putting them and their family out of emotional and/or physical pain.

freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
February 9th, 2008 at 08:35pm
Hmm, if the person decides it because they are terminally ill and in alot of pain. Then i agree with it, because its cruel to keep an animal alove if their in so much pain they cant do the tiniest little things.
I know its on a smaller scale, but you get what i mean
Juliet and Romeo
Salute You in Your Grave
Juliet and Romeo
February 20th, 2008 at 06:31pm
If a person really wants to die, then I completely aggree with it because it's cruel to force them to stay alive. It's just wrong to keep someone alive against their will. It's their choice.

On the other hand, if someone is depressed and can possibly helped, instead of helping them kill themselves, why not help them be happier or get better? Suicide is not always the best way out.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
February 20th, 2008 at 11:13pm
map of your head.:
DIE! DIE! DIE!:

It's more about the legal actions, or whether it should be allowed. It's not as much about suicide as it is "should the sick and elderly be allowed to do this"

It may be concidered suicide, but the details of the two topics are quite different .

in assisted suicide, is the person still willing to take their own life, regardless of legal actions?
yes they are.
what does suicide mean? to kill oneself.
they still are related.

Yeah but the morals and ideas involved are worlds apart. Any discussion on this would probably get lost within discussion on suicide at large, i.e. suicide because of emotional and mental reasons.

HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
February 20th, 2008 at 11:37pm
i dont think its right at all.
i believe assisted suicide & euthanasia, so similar, are different.
i think euthanasia is alright, depending on the circumstances.
but i believe that god is the only one who has a right to take a life, considering he gave life to us.
so yeah... i have to say i dont think its right.
Zoldyz X Long X Dead
Killjoy
Zoldyz X Long X Dead
February 28th, 2008 at 02:02pm
Yehh people should always have a say in what happens in their lives. But if someone is suicidal because of reasons other than a painful illness or just too old to look after themselves then they should have a close friend or realative step in. "Assisted Suicide" depends on the individual to be honest.
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 5th, 2008 at 03:12am
everyone has the right to die with dignity. life shd be as simple as that. but it aint always.

I believe the reason it's so hard to legalise euthanasia is that i could easily off, say, my sick inlaw-from-hell, whether she wants it or not, if i can just get her to put her signature on the official form -- say, when she's drugged out or whatever. So, just to prove that the person signing that form is in his/her right mind is tough enough. how do u know if it is really the person's wish or the collective wish of his/her close relatives?

again, everyone has the right to go out with dignity as opposed to drooling & writhing to death. it's just really hard to make sure no one takes advantage of that person's right. i do believe in it, tho. i personally defend euthanasia in certain specific situations. just my POV.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
March 20th, 2008 at 11:15am

I think that if the person was suffering
they do have the right to end there lives as quick as possible.

sometimes its just the humane thing to do.

xdemolition-loversx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xdemolition-loversx
March 20th, 2008 at 04:58pm
Suicide is never good, anyone who wants to commit suicide needs to rethink everything, get help and know that it will get better no matter who you are.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
March 22nd, 2008 at 01:51am

Yeah but there are circumstances where
that living isnt practical.

have you ever read or heard of
a book called " Johnny got his gun"
its basically about a soldier in world war one who is hit by an artilliary shell
causing him to have all his limbs removed and to loose his sight hearing and ability to speak.. he is also very concious as well.
now could you imagine that not being able to communicate with anyone ? and not being able to do anything ?

this is a perfect example of when assisted suicide is acceptable in my eyes.

i mean the situation doesnt have to be this extreme
but you can understand the point, that even though suicide isnt something that people should consider , that there are circumstances where its appropriate.

Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 23rd, 2008 at 09:56pm
The idea of assisted suicide just sends shivers down my spine. It creeps me out and I wonder how someone would be able to live with themselves after helping someone..... do that. I guess, under the circumstances of someone who feels that they've done everything they had to in life, it wouldn't be so bad. You should have the choice, but what if you decided at the wrong time?
I was here...
Awake and Unafraid
I was here...
March 24th, 2008 at 01:31am
I guess, like a lot of you, I can see how this could be nice if you were old or terminally ill or something...but...like, it still sounds a little iffy.

Say you are terminally ill or something. The doctors say you haven't got much time left, so you want to get someone to help you out of it all? Sure, that could be nice...but think of what could happen. If you ended up living out the rest of your days somthing great might happen - like doctors finding a way to cure the disease, or at least post-pone it's progression for another five years or so.

Also, this whole assisted suicide thing seems like it could be a bit troublesome with the law. Couldn't people just kill someone and say "oh yeah, it was assisted suicide" x]