Don't have an account? Create one!

Assisted Suicide/Human Euthanasia

AuthorMessage
Cherokee
Banned
Cherokee
March 24th, 2008 at 11:31am
Neutral well, I think that god has the right to choose our death date, not our fav. band, not our doctor.. not even us. I'm a muslim, and I'm completely convinced that it's totally wrong! you gotta live till your last breath! that's enjoying life. I don't care if one is ill and about to die.. Allah might just save him\her the last min. Smile but good topic though.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
April 12th, 2008 at 07:14am
^^^ I'm glad you feel that way.

My poppa just passed away after about a year of being restricted to a bed and not be able to move much. He could do nothing for himself, walking from his bed to the door puffed him out and he had to rest for ages. I don't think it's fair that he had to suffer for so long. If someone is terminally ill and wants to die... who are we to deny them their last wish?
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
April 12th, 2008 at 03:00pm
My views on Assisted Suicide is that a person should choice whenever they want to die...after all it is their choice and their life.
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
April 12th, 2008 at 06:49pm
Just to add some facts to the debate.

Assisted suicide, without a doctor involved, is legal in Switzerland. In 2005 a hospital allowed it to take place on the premises. It is however, illegal for a doctor to carry out assisted suicide.

It as also been legal in the state of Oregon since 1997. In 2006, the supreme court backed an Oregon law allowing doctors to assist terminally ill patients in dying.
Eight Bitter Years.
Killjoy
Eight Bitter Years.
August 2nd, 2008 at 07:10pm
yes, its your life, feel free to stop it whenever.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 2nd, 2008 at 11:13pm
Oi Nutter!:
Assisted suicide, without a doctor involved, is legal in Switzerland. In 2005 a hospital allowed it to take place on the premises. It is however, illegal for a doctor to carry out assisted suicide.

Who does it if the doctors can't?
beautiful loser.
Really Not Okay
beautiful loser.
August 3rd, 2008 at 12:19am
i think assisted suicide is right. what if some cripple who basically can't do anything anymore doesn't have the will to live anymore? its better than a self-suicide. but if the person is doing it just so they can die, and they have nothing wrong with them, it's wrong.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 3rd, 2008 at 12:30am
I feel that it is wrong to go to a docter when you feel depressed and say, "I want to die" but then you could kill yourself.

But if you are terminally ill and you just want to go instead of suffering, then I don't ind it wrong at all, but only if you are completely capable of thinking on your own and theres little to no chance of survivng then go ahead. But i think you should also have to talk to a therapist for about a month before you do die
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
August 3rd, 2008 at 02:40pm
The Joker:
i'm doing assisted suicide in rs
by the way assisted suicide IS euthanasia
euthanasia.com:
Euthanasia:The intentional killing by act or omission of a dependent human being for his or her alleged benefit. The key word here is "intentional". If death is not intended, it is not an act of euthanasia.

euthanasia.com:
Assisted suicide: Someone provides an individual with the information, guidance, and means to take his or her own life with the intention that they will be used for this purpose.

When I did 'Matter's of Life and Death' in RS, that covered both assited suicide and euthanasia, and what I was taught was that in assisted suicide the person dying does the action, someone else just provides the means (ie, leaving a bottle of pills within reach) and euthanasia is when the action is done by someone else, (ie, lethal dose of pain medication, withholding lifeprolonging drugs etc)

What ever the definition, I think as long as that is what the person wants, then they should be given it. If you are certain that that is what they want, not, someone saying, this is waht they would want, but say, a living will, or a dnr, so it is clear that this is the patients wish, then yes, I think it should be allowed. With assisted suicide, I also think this is acceptable. If the patient is, to a degree, mentally stable, and they know what they are doing, then I don't think they should be deprived of a final wish. When I say mentally stable, I mean, they know that they are trying to kill themselves, and death would be intentional, not an accident. If they are depressed, in my eyes that does count as stable, as they may not wish to continue living a bedridden life that does not involve anything worthwhile.

Euthanasia Definitions
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 3rd, 2008 at 03:13pm
I went ahead and changed the topic's title the broaden the discussion a little.

I didn't actually ever think of it to the point that I knew the difference between assisted suicide and euthanasia. So when the person above said in Switzerland, it's legal but a doctor can't do it, does that mean euthanasia is illegal and assisted suicide is legal? Sorry if I'm a little jumbled.

Edit: Just looked up a 60 Minutes article on the CBS site that definitely clarified it:

"Switzerland has by far the most liberal law in Europe, even more so than Holland and Belgium, two countries that do allow euthanasia.

While assisted suicide is legal in Switzerland, euthanasia is not. The difference is that with euthanasia, the doctor takes your life by administering a lethal drug. With assisted suicide, you have to be able to physically carry out that final act on your own. "

I also didn't know that Holland and Belgium allowed euthanasia.
bat1984
Bleeding on the Floor
bat1984
August 4th, 2008 at 03:15am
I think if the person will have a slow and undignified death then Euthanasia should be allowed. Its heart wrenching to see a loved have to die slowly and in great pain
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
August 4th, 2008 at 01:44pm
Cherokee:
you gotta live till your last breath! that's enjoying life. I don't care if one is ill and about to die

Suffering terribly and bein confined to bed isn't enjoying life.

try to see it from a terminally ill persons eyes.
Day Of The Dead
Salute You in Your Grave
Day Of The Dead
August 4th, 2008 at 02:43pm
I think really ill people should have the choice to do so. I think dying peacefully, without pain and ending the suffering the person has is much better than someone having to live in really bad pain and dying undignifyed because of the fact they are so ill they can't look after themselves. I know I wouldn't.
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 6th, 2008 at 10:02am
I'm totally for human euthanasia, if the person is suffering or terminal and is ready to just go. I think a person is completely capable of making this decision for themselves. I know if I were terminal and wasting away and in pain or just otherwise suffering, I'd rather just say goodbye. For me personally, I feel it's cruel to force someone to suffer. I feel the same way about pets - no matter how hard it is to do - at some point you have to do what's right for that individual. I don't think anyone wants to suffer.

Unfortunately, if it were legal, it would get abused. I'm not sure other people are capable of deciding for each other in all instances. It would lead to all kinds of legal problems especially for the doctors involved. Our world is so full of red tape we can't see the forest for the trees. I'll be shocked if it's ever make legal.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 01:07pm
^It is legal in some countries in Europe. Although i think one would have to have some kind of document that specifies when and if they would allow it. Like how some people have documents (I forget what they are called) that say to not resuscitate them if they die.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
August 6th, 2008 at 01:16pm
There is so many forms of cancer etc. that is extreamly painful to the bitter end. That is one area where I really think something needs to be done, for dying people to be able to end it on their terms. To go out peacefully without the pain in the presens of your loved ones. We choose how to live, so yes, I think we should take away the shame in choosing how to die.
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 6th, 2008 at 04:05pm
Eponine:
^It is legal in some countries in Europe. Although i think one would have to have some kind of document that specifies when and if they would allow it. Like how some people have documents (I forget what they are called) that say to not resuscitate them if they die.

I agree, I just think the US government and medical groups are fearful of it being legalized. Which is really a shame, IMO.

DNR - do not rescusitate order. My Dad had one of those.
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 7th, 2008 at 06:06pm
I think that people do have a choice on when they die, when they know they're dying and that they know that there is nothing that they can do to stop it. Alot of people don't understand that when a person's in so much pain and they can't stand it anymore then yea they deserve to chose when they want to die.
sinking feeling
Thinking Happy Thoughts
sinking feeling
August 7th, 2008 at 09:11pm
i watched a 48 hours mystery the other day where a woman did an assisted suicide....i think that assisted suicide is an interesting thing. the lady in the show had a husband and 3 sons...the husband came down with huntington's disease and suffered for 17 years and eventually died a very painful and drawn out death. then two of the sons came down with the same disease and the two sons asked the mom to kill them and she said no...the sons became progressivley worse and so the mom put them in a nursing home...eventually she shot them both to put them out of their misery...her jail time was 2 years with a 3 year probation...i think in that case it was the "right" thing to do, but when someone is just depressed and wants someone to kill them i think its very wrong.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 7th, 2008 at 09:28pm
sinking feeling:
i watched a 48 hours mystery the other day where a woman did an assisted suicide....i think that assisted suicide is an interesting thing. the lady in the show had a husband and 3 sons...the husband came down with huntington's disease and suffered for 17 years and eventually died a very painful and drawn out death. then two of the sons came down with the same disease and the two sons asked the mom to kill them and she said no...the sons became progressivley worse and so the mom put them in a nursing home...eventually she shot them both to put them out of their misery...her jail time was 2 years with a 3 year probation...i think in that case it was the "right" thing to do, but when someone is just depressed and wants someone to kill them i think its very wrong.
ok in that sense, I think if your in that much pain, because of your diesse you should be allowed to say "I'm tried of this" it would save alot of pain, quite abit of money and alot of misery