Don't have an account? Create one!

The Media.

AuthorMessage
Nikki.
Awake and Unafraid
Nikki.
May 30th, 2006 at 04:37pm
Do you think the media can corrupt people's minds? Why or why not?
I'm on the radio!!
Salute You in Your Grave
I'm on the radio!!
May 30th, 2006 at 04:39pm
Yes they can.
They can because; they write shit about peope which most of the time is not true. People then believe these stories and start to hate the people. This can cause breakdowns, depression and many other things.

Media = world full of lies.
Disarm; Nicole
Salute You in Your Grave
Disarm; Nicole
May 30th, 2006 at 04:40pm
The media can only corrupt minds that are open for corruption. Strong, smart people are not faultered by the media. If we want people to be unaffected by bad or untrue things in the media, we need better role models and education.
john bonham.
Bulletproof Heart
john bonham.
May 30th, 2006 at 04:42pm
The media says it, so duh! It's sooo true!

That seems to be what kids are saying these days, when in fact, the media states untrue things alot of the time, so yes, I DO think it can corrupt people's minds.
m45tq
Awake and Unafraid
m45tq
May 30th, 2006 at 04:43pm
1. Why is the birth of Angelina and Brad Pitt's baby all over the news while the LRA are killing children and there's a genocide going on that hardly anyone (well, where I live anyways.) knows about?
2. I hate the way that almost everyone in the media are so thin, that when they turn sideways you can't see them anymore? Why can't we have more models/celebrities like Kelly Osbourne or Raven Simone? Yes, they're fat. But they're still gorgeous and talented? Why do we need so many people who look like they throw up their daily cruton and glass of water? Why do you think so many girls are throwing up their food or not eating any food at all? It makes me sick.
Nikki.
Awake and Unafraid
Nikki.
May 30th, 2006 at 04:44pm
Casserz.:
1. Why is the birth of Angelina and Brad Pitt's baby all over the news while the LRA are killing children and there's a genocide going on that hardly anyone (well, where I live anyways.) knows about?
2. I hate the way that almost everyone in the media are so thin, that when they turn sideways you can't see them anymore? Why can't we have more models/celebrities like Kelly Osbourne or Raven Simone? Yes, they're fat. But they're still gorgeous and talented? Why do we need so many people who look like they throw up their daily cruton and glass of water? Why do you think so many girls are throwing up their food or not eating any food at all? It makes me sick.

-gets down on one knee-
Cassie, everything in that post was effin BRILLIANT. Will you marry me?
antennas to heaven.
Banned
antennas to heaven.
May 30th, 2006 at 04:48pm
Yes, I agree with everything said above.
Celebrities are so skinny. I see people all the time like "omg shes so slim - I must make myself like her". Its not right.
And whenever there is something in the newspaper, everyone believes it. And I have to tell them not to believe everything they read.
Disarm; Nicole
Salute You in Your Grave
Disarm; Nicole
May 30th, 2006 at 04:50pm
Michelle.:
Yes, I agree with everything said above.
Celebrities are so skinny. I see people all the time like "omg shes so slim - I must make myself like her". Its not right.
And whenever there is something in the newspaper, everyone believes it. And I have to tell them not to believe everything they read.

Again, the problem is how weak our youth is. Kids need better role models and people to teach them that appearance doesn't matter.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
May 30th, 2006 at 04:53pm
Yes , of course , let's blame the media.....Suuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeee, the media is the culprit!
Lyrics from one of my favourite poems (well , the aproximative translation):
The world is the way it is
And we are similar to the world

The media promotes the stuff that people demand. Of course the media promotes shallow issues......people want to see and read about beautiful famous people. Most of them couldn't care less that more than half of the Earth's population is dying of hunger. They don't want to hear about it. Some do care about these issues , but the majority doesn't. And majority always rules.

So let's stop blaming the media and start blaming ourselves
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
May 30th, 2006 at 05:34pm
Nikki.:
Casserz.:

-gets down on one knee-
Cassie, everything in that post was effin BRILLIANT. Will you marry me?

Exactly. Hail
I'm so tired of people being pressured to look a certain way, and people being told that people that way are more attractive. And I really hate these celebrities who don't have any talent and yet every minute of their life is reported on and people are interested. If you look in the paper, there will be some important stuff on the first page, but a lot of silly stuff you don't need to hear about, and then if you flip several pages back, it says that Bolivia has a new president or something like that. Just because it isn't in the U.S. and isn't about celebrities doesn't mean that it doesn't affect your life, it does, a lot, and deserves to be on the first page.
which way
Bleeding on the Floor
which way
May 30th, 2006 at 05:41pm
The media is a powerful tool. No matter where we go we are exposed wether we are aware of it or not. I think its irresponsible of them to promote these stick thin celebrities especially when there are more important things going on in the world.
dean moriarty.
Banned
dean moriarty.
May 30th, 2006 at 05:42pm
"People believe just about everything that is written on the internet".

Think about that. It's true.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
May 30th, 2006 at 05:46pm
take a few average people and make them decide who they'd rather see: a model or an overweight person. who do you think most people will choose?
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
May 30th, 2006 at 05:49pm
gia:
take a few average people and make them decide who they'd rather see: a model or an overweight person. who do you think most people will choose?

Whatever they choose will be influenced by what has been shown as the ideal to them. And the media determines the ideal. I dont' know what you're trying to say, but this is what I think about that question.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
May 30th, 2006 at 05:54pm
what I'm trying to say is that the media gives the people what they want to see. They promote these anorexic supermodels because people like to watch them. If people would stop idolising them , them promoting them would not bring the people working in media any profit. So then the media could start caring about more important issues. But , as long as people buy magazines with articles about them or watch tv programmes about them , the media has no interest in changing anything.
Nikki.
Awake and Unafraid
Nikki.
May 31st, 2006 at 02:21pm
Stop putting a space before a comma, darnit, it's getting annoying O_X

My opinion still stands. The media gives a false idea of certain aspects of life.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
May 31st, 2006 at 02:29pm
Damn, I wish people wouldn't blame the 'media' for everything that is wrong in the world. It isn't some far of, secret organization that fills our heads with propaganda. You are the media. Nobody is making you believe anything.

How much influence does the media have on my life?. Not very much. I don't swallow everything the media tells me, i'm not stupid. The media can harp on about how the ideal person is stick thin, but I have the sense to know that isn't true.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
May 31st, 2006 at 02:34pm
Nikki.:
Stop putting a space before a comma, darnit, it's getting annoying O_X

My opinion still stands. The media gives a false idea of certain aspects of life.

Sorry about the commas, but it's just something I've gotten used to over the years.
Well, I'm sorry I can't make you see things from another point of view. I wanted to go to film school, so I took some classes with people who work in television (mainly the people who bring us the news), I watched them for months working and talked to them about the things they bring us to see. And that was when my whole perspective about the media changed. Radically.
m45tq
Awake and Unafraid
m45tq
May 31st, 2006 at 07:38pm
I absolutely detest it when parents get their panties in a twist because their daughter's favourite singer/band is not a good influence.

To me, they're saying "I'm not raising my child, celebrities are, because I'm far to lazy."

When I was younger, I worshipped Britney Spears, but my mom told me that some of the clothes she wore wasn't good clothes for a kid to be wearing, and told me that I shouldn't dress like that. I started listening to Green Day when I was 10, and my mom told me that some of the words/things they were singing about weren't appropriate to be repeating. She never complained to the TV Stations/Artists/Magazines or anything like that. She let me listen to/watch these people, but she taught me what was right, and what wasn't and that is what a good parent is supposed to do. I grew up perfectly fine. :]
Synyster
Salute You in Your Grave
Synyster
June 18th, 2006 at 01:59pm
My opinion is half of its the media's blame, half of its the parents blame.
Look at all the 12 year old girls wearing belly shirts, no bras, and mini skirts. Its the media's fault for incluencing that style, but its the parents fault for buying these outfits for them.

OH and another thing, look at alot of people who say there not influenced by the media adn listen to marilyn manson. There's a kid in my school who does it, and he's trying to be an exact clone of him.

Even my punk rock, anarchist brother wants to be like Jorge from the Casulties

In conclusion-no matter where you go there will always be some media influence and people really need to start thinking from themselves