Don't have an account? Create one!

The Media.

AuthorMessage
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
June 19th, 2006 at 08:45am
I do think the media is responsible for body-image problems. From a very young age, the media targets their still-vulnerable audience. Think about it, how many Disney films can you think of where the heroin, or the princess who gets the guy, isn't a skinny, conventional beauty? Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Snow White - its always the same: young, thin, beautiful girl. And villainesses are always ugly and quite often, fat. But it sells.

I think the media is also very influential in creating prejudice against people. I've heard lots of people say they hate Islam, just because of what a few extremists acting outside the word of Allah have done.

The other week in school, we were looking at whether the media encourages terrorism. I don't mean they tell terrorists to commit such acts, but that by telling the world about it they are spreading fear and spreading the cause of the terrorists. And after all thats what terrorists are after: exposure for their cause. At the same time, I'd feel pretty damn scared if there were terrorist acts going unreported. Its a pretty interesting point.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 19th, 2006 at 04:58pm
Mud:
I do think the media is responsible for body-image problems. From a very young age, the media targets their still-vulnerable audience. Think about it, how many Disney films can you think of where the heroin, or the princess who gets the guy, isn't a skinny, conventional beauty? Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Snow White - its always the same: young, thin, beautiful girl. And villainesses are always ugly and quite often, fat. But it sells.

In this case, the media is not to blame. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are all fairy tales heroines. The authors created them to be perfect in their books. All Disney did was put their words into images
Nikki.
Awake and Unafraid
Nikki.
June 19th, 2006 at 05:29pm
Mud:

Not always. Common, but not always. The villainess in Sinbad was very beautiful.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
June 19th, 2006 at 05:30pm
gia:
In this case, the media is not to blame. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are all fairy tales heroines. The authors created them to be perfect in their books. All Disney did was put their words into images

To some extent, thats true, but Disney chose how to portray that beauty. It never said they were skinny as rails.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 19th, 2006 at 05:33pm
they are usually described in books as the most beautiful girls , so Disney made them look like that, according to our society's idea of beauty.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
June 19th, 2006 at 05:43pm
Thats true, and they do that because it sells (a major factor in all issues to do with the media) but it does create an image in young kids' minds of what beauty should be. If Disney said a character was beautiful, would kids buy it if she was a less conventional beauty? I don't know.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 19th, 2006 at 06:08pm
I don't think that would happen, because that kind out beauty standard would not be accepted by society. And I stick to my belief: society's standards control the media, not the other way around. Even before the media existed or before it had so much power people still had beauty standards. They were different, but they were still based on superficial qualities.
Sleepwalker
Bleeding on the Floor
Sleepwalker
July 8th, 2006 at 04:18am
Bloodraine:
Damn, I wish people wouldn't blame the 'media' for everything that is wrong in the world. It isn't some far of, secret organization that fills our heads with propaganda. You are the media. Nobody is making you believe anything.

How much influence does the media have on my life?. Not very much. I don't swallow everything the media tells me, i'm not stupid. The media can harp on about how the ideal person is stick thin, but I have the sense to know that isn't true.

i think what Bloodraine said is very true. sure, the media does diss out little true information or just false things or just nothing at all, but what they do say could all just be lies. You have to pick through the real and important things from who's going to win american idol. the media should be used to inform people about what's really happening in the world... but the sad thing is, if you see something horrible on TV let's say while you were eating dinner, how much is it going to effect your life? only for that split second. you may say, that's so sad or how horrible but you won't do anything about it. i'm even guilty of this. but maybe if the media posted more information about these horrible things (like genocides,war,natural disasters) causing people to see it more often, then maybe something would be done about it.

but then again... thanks to the media i found My Chemical Romance... so... maybe just the news has to change.
bed_of_roses
Joining The Black Parade
bed_of_roses
October 3rd, 2006 at 11:15pm
i don't know this one is like 50/50 for me.. i mean i read/hear of some of the news the media gives out..like information on bands and stuff like that i just don't like when they just make gossip and random/ not true facts about that person or celebrity..ya know..?
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 4th, 2006 at 01:14am
The media is a money grubbing, lying little creature that comes into our homes and lives, and sells us ignorance, violence and sex.

Oh sure, there is truth and good things in the media too. But whether or not you find them depends upon how much shit you're willing to shovel before you get to it.

Most people would much rather believe the lies than trace them back to the truth.
Catharsis
Jazz Hands
Catharsis
October 5th, 2006 at 01:54am
People need to wake up and realise the media isn't there to tell us the truth, it is there so they can make money. the media is just another business there primary concern is ratings which directly reflects there financial standings. therefore people need to realise that they are only going to show things that encourage people to watch so of coruse we are going to hear about the newest celebrity baby etc instead of showing all the killing and poverty in the world cos people don't want to witness that. people just need to realise that the media isn't going to tell them the truth about the real world and need to open up there eyes and see for themselves what is really going on.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 5th, 2006 at 04:21pm
^Actually, the murders get higher ratings. The amount of murders and violent crimes shown on news programs has dramatically increased in the last couple of decades, compared to the declining statistics of said violence.

Also, the numbers of murders or violent crimes covered in the news where the victim does not know the perpetrator has skyrocketed, while in actuality, the number of violent crimes where the victim doesn't know the perpetrator is dispraportionally small.
ElizasMAMA
Fabulous Killjoy
ElizasMAMA
December 2nd, 2006 at 01:56pm
hey they defiantly currupt my mind at times, they can get me thinking "omg! that person did what" when the person probabl never even atempted it. Yea it can get confusing-that media.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
March 28th, 2007 at 10:08pm

I was hoping there was a topic on this ^^,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The media cannot be blamed for anything as such. It's the control that people have over the media that causes problems.

Obviously, because different people control different parts of the media, the products of these medium is going to be completely different, and will send messages out that are often conflicting.
A lot of the time, these medium are given the same bare facts, it is then up to them to create a story out of these facts, and that is where the problems arise.
For example, I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the David Hicks case (he is an Australian man who was held in Guantanamo Bay Detention Centre for 5 years without charge. He was recently charged with providing material support to terrorism, which he pleaded guilty to earlier this week. [I'm not sure if I have the exact story here, so please somebody correct me if I am wrong] )
Now, the media all got the bare facts of this case, but they chose to represent it in completely conflicting ways. The Daily Telegraph (a Sydney newspaper) had the headline: "Hicks confirms he IS a terrorist." then underneath in massive type: "GUILTY".
The Australian, another newspaper, had the exact same facts as The Daily Telegraph, and yet they ran the headline "Hicks could be home before Christmas".
That is a prime example of why people need to be media savvy.
Even when different medium have the same facts, they can manipulate them and twist them around to tell very different stories.

Another example is the Associated Press in America.
This is where 6 major newspapers all get their information from the same source and share it.
Now, this has it's advantages in that the 6 newspapers are owned by different people, so you get different perspectives,
BUT, it has been shown time & time again, that if one of the newspapers prints a story that is wrong, the other associated newspapers do not print anything that 'exposes' for want of a better word, the other paper.
Dancing In The Rain
Fabulous Killjoy
Dancing In The Rain
March 29th, 2007 at 02:27pm
i miss Pansy... ='(
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
March 29th, 2007 at 08:18pm

That had nothing to do with the topic, if you are going to post in this thread (or any other thread in the discussion board), please talk about the relevant topic.
x__SaltyEyes
Jazz Hands
x__SaltyEyes
March 31st, 2007 at 12:17am
media is a big part of the world today. its crazy. it makes people think certain things that arent always true. it makes people believe certain things that just arent neccessarily right. it does corrupt minds. it persuades them to do things or buy things or act certain ways, and it has taken away a lot of people's individuality.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
April 3rd, 2007 at 12:10pm
Media is a double-edged sword. It can deliver news to the world about earthquakes and tsunamis and war and then it can toss all of that for breaking news coverage of Hollywood celebrities adopting babies, wearing fashionable outfits, shaving their heads, flashing their crotches, entering rehab or dying tragically.

The trouble is media outlets KNOW that celebrities draw in viewers faster than footage of war torn countries. It's true, we'd rather read juicy gossip than hear about death tolls. And the other issue is that in America, we only have eyes for our own affairs. Our wars, our politics and our celebrities grace the covers of newspapers and magazines, but you have to turn to page 2 or 4 for news of anything outside our borders.

It could all be solved if the media outlets started taking a bit more responsibility for what they publish and become less concerned with making money. But that won't happen anytime soon. Money is at the heart of this country.
funky_shoes
Killjoy
funky_shoes
April 3rd, 2007 at 01:45pm
my goal is to be a "big cheese" in the media business so i can change it all around and make people have a little bit of "fat" and it's considered sexy ^_^
Hang 'Me High
Killjoy
Hang 'Me High
April 4th, 2007 at 08:38am
As a media student, I know it certainly can. The most basic media effects theory is the hypodermic needle theory, which basically means that you digest whatever the media throws your way you accept. Of course, this doesn't happen to most people because have their own minds and easily reject it. Though the body image debate is more accentuated by members of the opposite sex, so guys see the images of stick thin slags on the tv and then want the same from a girl. Me, personally, I prefer who you are to what you look like, it's easier to judge what things will be like with a model girl because they can be spoilt (I'm not saying all, just some) and will be more interested with themselves. I think the pressure to look the part is in some way from the media, but more because of the opposite sex.