Don't have an account? Create one!

WTF!!

AuthorMessage
Unholy Matrimony.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Unholy Matrimony.
September 2nd, 2006 at 01:31pm
Scarlet:
Um, hi. I'm writing a letter to the Daily Mail, and to the Press Complaints Commission about this, to ask for an apology or retraction of some kind. If that isn't successful I'll do an online petition. I hope I can count on your support with that?

if you do a petition im gonna sign it! ^_^
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 2nd, 2006 at 03:53pm
Awesome, I'll post a link when I'm done.
Sally Stitches.
Awake and Unafraid
Sally Stitches.
September 2nd, 2006 at 04:07pm
Scarlet, may I sign if there is a petition? *Puppydog eyes*
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 2nd, 2006 at 04:23pm
Of course. I'm hoping you all will.
Lost.In.Morgue
Jazz Hands
Lost.In.Morgue
September 3rd, 2006 at 06:23pm
xBangxBangxGunsGoxBangx:
someone just posted this in a bulletion on myspace.gahh wtf people are fucking lame assses!

My Chemical Romance shelled by crowd
Band bottled at Carling Weekend: Reading Festival:

My Chemical Romance have been subjected to a heavy bottling while performing on stage at the Carling Weekend: Reading Festival today (August 27).

The band were pelted repeated by the audience throughout their set on the main stage.

However while the group tried to battle through and continue their performance, the constant shelling clearly upset frontman Gerard Way.

After sarcastically asking for the crowd to boo and hiss, the singer declared: "We might be outsiders today, but we represent every outsider out there".

He then introduced a track saying, "This song is called thanks for all the bottles, thanks for all the piss, thanks for all the golf balls, thanks for all the apples and thanks for all the sticky shit."

The singer did briefly get the whole crowd on his side, when in response to a recent article that suggested emo promoted self-harm, he got the audience to chant "Fuck the Daily Mail" three times.

Yup I heard this on the radio recently.And seriously started to cry I mean they don't deserve to have shitty water bottles throw at them.I feel so bad that sucks I mean if you don't like the band then leave move your lame fat ass instead of throwing shit at the band.It's really disrespectful and rude I mean example I don't like falloutboy but I would never throw stuff at them.It ruins it for the fans and please forgive me if I made spelling errors.**Points at the words 'emo kid'**
Bitch
Killjoy
Bitch
September 3rd, 2006 at 07:16pm
LMAO you have to laugh me and my friend bursted up laughing. the crowd was PMSing that day get over it.
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 4th, 2006 at 12:03am
Blood Stained Walls:
Scarlet:
Um, hi. I'm writing a letter to the Daily Mail, and to the Press Complaints Commission about this, to ask for an apology or retraction of some kind. If that isn't successful I'll do an online petition. I hope I can count on your support with that?

Well, here's my response to the article. Can you guys read it and tell me if you think anything needs changing? If you think I'm talking out my arse please tell me. I think I'm gonna just collect some names and add them to it, so they know it's not just me who's complaining. So, comments and names would be great, thanks.

Dear Editor, I'm writing to complain about this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400953&in_page_id=1770 , which I find to be both utterly offensive and completely misinformed and unresearched, not to mention bigoted. I'm frankly appalled that a national newspaper would print something so full of innacuracy and portray one person's ignorant opinion as fact.There's so much nonsense in this article I hardly know where to start.

1) The suggestion that emo/goth/whatever she's actually talking about is 'fashion.' Fashion is a throwaway concept for morons with more money than sense, this is a lifestyle choice.

2) The idea that 'corporate goths' are 'permitted'. Permitted by who? The Emo Advisary Board? Who makes up the rules here?!?

3) Define goth. It can mean a specific type of music, principally from the eighties, such as Bauhaus. Or any type of rock/metal/punk music, or anyone in eyeliner. There are so many definitions of it because so many people, like the person who wrote this article, who don't have a clue what they're talking about. Many would call an Avenged Sevenfold fan a goth because they had black hair and eyeliner, when Avenged Sevenfold's music is as goth as Britney Spears.

4) Ditto emo. It can mean a type of music, or a derogatory term. People don't compete to be the most emo, as is suggested in the article, they use it as an insult. The element of emo referred to in the article is met with extreme derision by the majority. The 'attention seeking, self dramatising' etc are nothing to do with musical taste. Such behaviour is the result of being a spoilt brat. Blame the parents for spoiling the kids, not My Chemical Romance. Not that all of them are kids anyway. The article seems to make the word 'emo' interchangeable with 'teenager.' Ms Sands is confusing her prejudices. Her blatant contempt for youth and her ignorance of emo are seperate issues. Emo, MCR, Green Day and all other music has fans of all ages. Her rant about the behaviour of teenagers makes it clear that this article is simply a vehicle for her hatred of anyone under 30. For the record, I'm not a teenager, I'm 22, and I love MCR. And I'm not a self harmer and don't have black hair. Neither am I underweight or pale.

5) Emo is not a 'cult of suicide,' that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What is being displayed here is not concern for today's youth but blatant bigotry. What's being criticised is not emo in particular but alternative music in general. The 'freaks, grungers, moshers etc.' Which would be fine coming from an 11 year old in a playground, not an adult in a national newspaper. I'd be surprised if there was a band on earth who encouraged suicide, and if there are any then MCR are not one of them. They have talked publicly on several occasions encouraging people to seek help if they're troubled or depressed, and that 'throwing your life away on suicide is bullshit.' They are a very positive influence on their fans, and encourage them to be individual, to make something of their lives, not to get into drugs etc. Contrary to the lazy, hackneyed, well-worn stereotypes that Ms Sands is upholding, of the 'freaks' being drug addicts, thugs and criminals.

6) Neither is self harm promoted or encouraged. Anyone who cuts themselves because they think it's cool is a pathetic moron who needs a slap. It's utter nonsense that emos/teenagers/whatever all do this for attention. It's a well known fact amongst anyone who actually knows anything about self harm that the majority of people who do it are in fact incredibly secretive about it, they certainly don't walk about with their marks on show or 'compete' with their cutting. Many people find it genuinely helps them feel better. I'm not advocating it, just saying this is the case. The vast minority of people who do it for attention because they're bored should be sent to Zimbabwe or somewhere to find out what it's like to have real problems. Ms Sands seems to think everyone who self harms is a spoilt kid. There are many adults, and many people with serious problems who do it. Not for attention, not so they can say 'look how messed up I am,' but to feel better, to try and make their lives better. Because they want their lives to be better and DON'T want to kill themselves.

7) If Ms Sands knew anything about musical genres she might know that there is no way on earth Green Day are an emo band, they're a pop-punk band. What's the rationale behind calling them emo? They wear eyeliner. That's like saying someone is a racist because they happen to be white.

Cool The Emo Song isn't serious, it's a pisstake.

9) The article states that 'the emos regard themselves as...' Who? Which ones? Names? Again, no idea which definition of emo we're talking about, and I would hazard a guess this woman hasn't spoken to a single one of them. I can't imagine she's done any research at all.

10) Musical taste, taste of any kind, is not an indication of hormone imbalance. It's an indication of personal preference.

11) 'Art graduate bias' -not a terribly offensive implication but another enormous sweeping generalisation nonetheless. Myself and my university friends all like this type of music. We do English Literature, not art.

12) 'Teenage girls are scared of manliness and therefore like men who look like girls.' Oh for goodness sake. Look at this man and tell me he's not manly. Image I can guarantee there are plenty of teenage girls with pictures of him on their walls. The preference for feminine looking men is nothing to do with age, but just that, PREFERENCE. I'm sure as hell not scared of manliness, and never have been. I like this guy, and some more feminine looking ones too. So what?

13) 'Too bloodless to lift a finger, too sad too eat.' Oh good grief. If that's serious journalism then I'm a banana.

14) Johnny Depp, Russell Brand and Lily Allen are goths? Are they aware of that?!? Sophie Ellis Bextor?!?

15) 'Adults don't have time to strike poses, they have to get on with it.' Just how ignorant, arrogant and moronic is this woman? This type of music isn't about posing as a corpse, it's about self expression, freedom of thought and intelligence. When will people wake up to the fact that rock, metal, punk etc are not full of junkies, thugs, criminals, lunatics and teenage suicides? The bands and fans of these genres are what I find to be the nicest, kindest, most intelligent and open-minded people I have ever encountered. Much unlike Sarah Sands. I have met several of my favourite bands, who look like the stereotypical 'tattoed thugs' and have found them to be nothing but kind, polite and respectful, not to mention well educated and knowledgeable. And I have had the pleasure of meeting My Chemical Romance, and although I only spoke to them for a few minutes and can hardly fully judge their characters, I would say they are just as they appear from their press, which Ms Sands would have done well to read some of before writing about them. That is, they were about as sweet and pleasant a group of people as one could hope to meet, and as good a set of role models as anyone could want for their children.

My point? Ms Sands shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and should actually know what she's writing about before doing so. She should keep her biased, pig-ignorant, offensive, prejudiced opinions to herself. It's people like her who give the likes of myself and my friends a bad name, and leave us subject to abuse and prejudice wherever we go, just because of the type of music we like. I would like some sort of retraction or apology from Ms Sands to both My Chemical Romance and Green Day, and to all their fans, many of whom I know to be as disgusted by this stupid article as I am. I am willing to go to the Press Complaints Commission or anyone and anywhere else necessary to get such an apology from Ms Sands.
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 4th, 2006 at 09:05am
Anybody? Please!
Lost.In.Morgue
Jazz Hands
Lost.In.Morgue
September 4th, 2006 at 11:25am
Scarlet:
Blood Stained Walls:
Scarlet:

Well, here's my response to the article. Can you guys read it and tell me if you think anything needs changing? If you think I'm talking out my arse please tell me. I think I'm gonna just collect some names and add them to it, so they know it's not just me who's complaining. So, comments and names would be great, thanks.

Dear Editor, I'm writing to complain about this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400953&in_page_id=1770 , which I find to be both utterly offensive and completely misinformed and unresearched, not to mention bigoted. I'm frankly appalled that a national newspaper would print something so full of innacuracy and portray one person's ignorant opinion as fact.There's so much nonsense in this article I hardly know where to start.

1) The suggestion that emo/goth/whatever she's actually talking about is 'fashion.' Fashion is a throwaway concept for morons with more money than sense, this is a lifestyle choice.

2) The idea that 'corporate goths' are 'permitted'. Permitted by who? The Emo Advisary Board? Who makes up the rules here?!?

3) Define goth. It can mean a specific type of music, principally from the eighties, such as Bauhaus. Or any type of rock/metal/punk music, or anyone in eyeliner. There are so many definitions of it because so many people, like the person who wrote this article, who don't have a clue what they're talking about. Many would call an Avenged Sevenfold fan a goth because they had black hair and eyeliner, when Avenged Sevenfold's music is as goth as Britney Spears.

4) Ditto emo. It can mean a type of music, or a derogatory term. People don't compete to be the most emo, as is suggested in the article, they use it as an insult. The element of emo referred to in the article is met with extreme derision by the majority. The 'attention seeking, self dramatising' etc are nothing to do with musical taste. Such behaviour is the result of being a spoilt brat. Blame the parents for spoiling the kids, not My Chemical Romance. Not that all of them are kids anyway. The article seems to make the word 'emo' interchangeable with 'teenager.' Ms Sands is confusing her prejudices. Her blatant contempt for youth and her ignorance of emo are seperate issues. Emo, MCR, Green Day and all other music has fans of all ages. Her rant about the behaviour of teenagers makes it clear that this article is simply a vehicle for her hatred of anyone under 30. For the record, I'm not a teenager, I'm 22, and I love MCR. And I'm not a self harmer and don't have black hair. Neither am I underweight or pale.

5) Emo is not a 'cult of suicide,' that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What is being displayed here is not concern for today's youth but blatant bigotry. What's being criticised is not emo in particular but alternative music in general. The 'freaks, grungers, moshers etc.' Which would be fine coming from an 11 year old in a playground, not an adult in a national newspaper. I'd be surprised if there was a band on earth who encouraged suicide, and if there are any then MCR are not one of them. They have talked publicly on several occasions encouraging people to seek help if they're troubled or depressed, and that 'throwing your life away on suicide is bullshit.' They are a very positive influence on their fans, and encourage them to be individual, to make something of their lives, not to get into drugs etc. Contrary to the lazy, hackneyed, well-worn stereotypes that Ms Sands is upholding, of the 'freaks' being drug addicts, thugs and criminals.

6) Neither is self harm promoted or encouraged. Anyone who cuts themselves because they think it's cool is a pathetic moron who needs a slap. It's utter nonsense that emos/teenagers/whatever all do this for attention. It's a well known fact amongst anyone who actually knows anything about self harm that the majority of people who do it are in fact incredibly secretive about it, they certainly don't walk about with their marks on show or 'compete' with their cutting. Many people find it genuinely helps them feel better. I'm not advocating it, just saying this is the case. The vast minority of people who do it for attention because they're bored should be sent to Zimbabwe or somewhere to find out what it's like to have real problems. Ms Sands seems to think everyone who self harms is a spoilt kid. There are many adults, and many people with serious problems who do it. Not for attention, not so they can say 'look how messed up I am,' but to feel better, to try and make their lives better. Because they want their lives to be better and DON'T want to kill themselves.

7) If Ms Sands knew anything about musical genres she might know that there is no way on earth Green Day are an emo band, they're a pop-punk band. What's the rationale behind calling them emo? They wear eyeliner. That's like saying someone is a racist because they happen to be white.

Cool The Emo Song isn't serious, it's a pisstake.

9) The article states that 'the emos regard themselves as...' Who? Which ones? Names? Again, no idea which definition of emo we're talking about, and I would hazard a guess this woman hasn't spoken to a single one of them. I can't imagine she's done any research at all.

10) Musical taste, taste of any kind, is not an indication of hormone imbalance. It's an indication of personal preference.

11) 'Art graduate bias' -not a terribly offensive implication but another enormous sweeping generalisation nonetheless. Myself and my university friends all like this type of music. We do English Literature, not art.

12) 'Teenage girls are scared of manliness and therefore like men who look like girls.' Oh for goodness sake. Look at this man and tell me he's not manly. Image I can guarantee there are plenty of teenage girls with pictures of him on their walls. The preference for feminine looking men is nothing to do with age, but just that, PREFERENCE. I'm sure as hell not scared of manliness, and never have been. I like this guy, and some more feminine looking ones too. So what?

13) 'Too bloodless to lift a finger, too sad too eat.' Oh good grief. If that's serious journalism then I'm a banana.

14) Johnny Depp, Russell Brand and Lily Allen are goths? Are they aware of that?!? Sophie Ellis Bextor?!?

15) 'Adults don't have time to strike poses, they have to get on with it.' Just how ignorant, arrogant and moronic is this woman? This type of music isn't about posing as a corpse, it's about self expression, freedom of thought and intelligence. When will people wake up to the fact that rock, metal, punk etc are not full of junkies, thugs, criminals, lunatics and teenage suicides? The bands and fans of these genres are what I find to be the nicest, kindest, most intelligent and open-minded people I have ever encountered. Much unlike Sarah Sands. I have met several of my favourite bands, who look like the stereotypical 'tattoed thugs' and have found them to be nothing but kind, polite and respectful, not to mention well educated and knowledgeable. And I have had the pleasure of meeting My Chemical Romance, and although I only spoke to them for a few minutes and can hardly fully judge their characters, I would say they are just as they appear from their press, which Ms Sands would have done well to read some of before writing about them. That is, they were about as sweet and pleasant a group of people as one could hope to meet, and as good a set of role models as anyone could want for their children.

My point? Ms Sands shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and should actually know what she's writing about before doing so. She should keep her biased, pig-ignorant, offensive, prejudiced opinions to herself. It's people like her who give the likes of myself and my friends a bad name, and leave us subject to abuse and prejudice wherever we go, just because of the type of music we like. I would like some sort of retraction or apology from Ms Sands to both My Chemical Romance and Green Day, and to all their fans, many of whom I know to be as disgusted by this stupid article as I am. I am willing to go to the Press Complaints Commission or anyone and anywhere else necessary to get such an apology from Ms Sands.

That's great good job and good effort.Those assholes who wrote that article will be sorryVery Happy.
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 4th, 2006 at 01:00pm
Thanks Very Happy So you don't think I need to change anything?
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 5th, 2006 at 11:15am
Well, if anyone wants to add themselves to the petition, send your name and either an email address or myspace or something to bakr_sarah@yahoo.co.uk. If you want to add a comment send that too, I'll try and include them.
carys hilton.
Salute You in Your Grave
carys hilton.
September 5th, 2006 at 11:48am
Scarlet:
'Too bloodless to lift a finger, too sad too eat.'

Ahahaha.
And who says stereotypes are dead and gone?

Bullshit.
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 6th, 2006 at 10:12am
Come on folks, had more response on the A7X board than here. You wanna let this bitch piss all over MCR?
marley.
Awake and Unafraid
marley.
September 7th, 2006 at 03:23pm
I think your response to the Dail Mail article is amazing!

I agree with every single point you made and none of it should be changed.

Is there a petition cause I would like to sign my name in big capital letters!

Alsoooo I think the bottleing at Reading/Leeds (ain't sure which one!) was ignorant and imuture. Why ruin other peoples enjoyment just cause yours is finished?

Ye so anyways can you keep me updated on the progress of your letter?

Thanks !!
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 7th, 2006 at 08:53pm
Awesome, thanks. I just need your name and either an email address or myspace.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
September 7th, 2006 at 09:12pm
{-[chemical]---kisses---}:
I think your response to the Dail Mail article is amazing!

I agree with every single point you made and none of it should be changed.

Is there a petition cause I would like to sign my name in big capital letters!

Alsoooo I think the bottleing at Reading/Leeds (ain't sure which one!) was ignorant and imuture. Why ruin other peoples enjoyment just cause yours is finished?

Ye so anyways can you keep me updated on the progress of your letter?

Thanks !!

yeah I wanna sign it too.

It was rude. But it's kinda funny cause when I'm watching to video of it Gerard like ducks and sticks up his middle finger to the crowd and Ray looks like he's saying "Oh man ima fuckin kill them people!" LOL.
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 7th, 2006 at 09:16pm
Cool. Name and email/myspace to bakr_sarah@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks for your help.
Bess is Yoda
In The Murder Scene
Bess is Yoda
September 8th, 2006 at 05:44am
Here's a video I just found on YouTube of the bottling the guys recieved when they first came on stage - watch it HERE.
Scarlet
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarlet
September 13th, 2006 at 03:33pm
Well, I've finally got enough names so I'll be sending it tonight
insane clown posse.
In The Murder Scene
insane clown posse.
October 8th, 2006 at 06:33pm
Resignation:
I think they should've thrown that shit back at 'em.

hah that made me laugh