Don't have an account? Create one!

Stem Cell Research

AuthorMessage
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
March 28th, 2007 at 03:15am

I mean, Yes.
Of course the Umbilical Cord should be kept incase of an emergency during birth.
Because It carries "Pure" Blood and it should be kept for Emergencies during birth
But if there are no complications, then why should something that has pretty much no use for that person just by thrown away.
There are benefits of usign Stem Cells for research.
I want a cure for cancer.
I'm sure many do.
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
March 28th, 2007 at 03:29am
Pop Tart.:
Now, I'm not a reliigous person. . . but if god really didn't want all of these things. . . where in the Bible does it say "No stem cell research!"?
If it is beneficial to scientific advance and saving lives, them I am all for it.

IVF (this is pretty much where the eggs from the woman are mixed with sperm so that they can be fertilized and then implanted back into the woman if she has trouble with getting pregnant)

-Then shouldn't the church get mad at women for having their menstual cycle? If 'it has potential for becoming a life' it is bad awful for you to get rid of it, 'kill it'? Doesn;t every unfertilized egg have potential for becoming a life? Every sperm potential for becoming a life? You want to sue men for masturbation? (wreckless abandonment) I know my point is extreme, but if the egg and sperm have no mom, it cannot grow into a life, and therefore it really isn't a 'life'.

(Please correct me if I am -factually- wrong.)

I have to admit.
The "Reckless Abandonment" made me laugh a lot.
In the Bible, they do have something about menstrual cycles and how if a women has her periods then no man is allowed to touch her and all that crap, because she is "unclean"

Isn't that like ignoring or teasing someone who has a condition they cannot get rid of?
If someone has a disease they cannot get rid of and makes then look odd and out of place, people may tease them.
I don't think I am comfortable with leaving such a big decision about Stem Cell Research to the church when they support a scripture of abandoning women when they have their menstrual cycles.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
March 28th, 2007 at 10:16am
^I think the bible means that no man should touch her as in, 'no man should have sex with her', not abandon her altogether. Which I can't say I really disagree with because, ew, that's just gross.

But otherwise I agree with you, because the church does say some pretty stupid stuff (ie, "anyone who reads Harry Potter needs to be exorcised. They are inhabited by the devil, because Harry Potter supports witchcraft and evil." )
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
April 4th, 2007 at 06:46pm
Look at this way: aborted fetus are just thrown in the trash, so why not put them to good use?
heartache to sing
Bleeding on the Floor
heartache to sing
April 4th, 2007 at 07:23pm
^^I agree. If it can help people, I don't see a problem in it at all.
iamnotok
Killjoy
iamnotok
May 26th, 2007 at 02:02pm
i am cut between yes and no ....... cuz if u use 1 to experiment that 1 could hav been the 1 to find the real cure...... but you want to sav some pple ya kno
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
May 28th, 2007 at 12:11am
iamnotok:
i am cut between yes and no ....... cuz if u use 1 to experiment that 1 could hav been the 1 to find the real cure...... but you want to sav some pple ya kno

Please, don't use chatpeak here.

Also, what's the point then? How else would you find the cure? The person that was born would end up experimenting on another cell that "could have been the one to find the cure." It's one big cycle, we should just start now.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
May 28th, 2007 at 01:02am
What are your views on Stem Cell Research?
I'm for it. I don't understand why people whine and complain about the fact that they're using stem cells from aborted fetuses. The fetuses are already aborted. It's not like they force women to get pregnant and abort for stem cell research. The fetuses are already dead. What's the problem?

Do you agree with the church?
Not at all. The fetuses are already aborted. The church is against abortion. Fine, whatever. But it's already done and over with. Shouldn't they be encouraging the study of something that can save lives?

What does your religion say about Stem Cell Research?
Well, the Bible doesn't say anything about stem cell research and that's good enough for me. Not that I would care anyway. I'm a Bad Christian, so I don't really follow my religion like I should.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 28th, 2007 at 01:45am
I'm all for stem cell research. Hey, I can't wait for the day I'm in a massive car accident and the doctors simply put me in a coma until they can grow me a new set of lungs/kidneys/whatever got destroyed from my own cells. And I don't know that much about SCR, but the understanding I do have of it is that it's extremely beneficial to people.
The church needs to just butt the hell out. If they don't want to take advantage of the technology once it's developed, fine, go ahead and die, just like Jews refusing blood transfusions - but don't deny the rest of the free-thinking world a choice between life, death, or a decent quality of life (ie if there's a potential cure for paralysis, I'm all for it - life in a wheelchair would be crap).

One thing that irks me about living in a small town is that our one and only hospital doesn't have the resources to store umbilical blood, which is something I actually wanted to do when I give birth. I know pretty much f-all about it, but I understand that the blood cells retained in the cord and placenta are extremely useful for lots of things, and hey, it's not hurting anybody to donate a useless piece of flesh once I'm done with it, so I'd like to have the opportunity. When I asked the midwives about it, they literally snorted and said, 'Move to Sydney,' like it was something funny.

Back to SCR, I totally agree with Druscilla. The fetuses being used in such research are already aborted, it's not like anybody's forcing women to get pregnant and abort their much-wanted babies in order to do such research. And, while we're on it, what's the church's stance on IVF procedures? Are they as passionately against artificial pregnancy as they are against abortion? When you look at it from a certain perspective, they're essentially very similar, except one's creating a life that shouldn't be there, and one's destroying a chance at life.
And I totally agree with the concept of 'reckless abandonment' that Elle Woods came up with on Legally Blonde - the idea that the church should get totally pissed at men who masturbate (although they require their preachers to remain celibate, which of course means they're always locked in the bathroom with a dirty magazine), and at any woman who has her period, because allowing yourself to bleed is destroying a potential life 12 times a year.
In that, would the Church approve of 12-year-old girls getting knocked up because, if they don't, they're sinning for having a period?
I guess what I'm saying is that the Church is a moron and needs to stay out of things that don't concern them. Like I said, if they don't like the idea of SCR, they have the choice to not partake of such technology when it becomes advanced enough to be used in hospitals. But the rest of the world should have a choice in the matter, and be able to take full advantage of such life-saving treatments.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 8th, 2007 at 08:37pm
What are your views on Stem Cell Research?
if it could save lives do it, some say its wrong cause its doing it on aborted feteses(in most cases) but they're already dead so really whats the problem

Do you agree with the church? no, they try to do stuff in a way to please god but they don't want to save lives they think ," well if they die then they'll go to heaven or hell. which will happen anyway.

What does your religion say about Stem Cell Research? i don't pay attiontion in church sorry
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
June 15th, 2007 at 03:58pm
From my experience and education, the Catholic Church is nothing more than a global organization of power-hungry, greedy, immoral and corrput politicians founded on controlling the populace through fear-mongering, touture and embezzlement. They are the single most wealthiest government in the world and they bend religion to suit their beliefs, not the other way around. That is why I can never hold any respect for them.

The so-called church is all about celebrating Jesus dying for human sins, but they won't accept frozen embryos as a noble sacrifice for the cure for cancer? Seems way too hypocritical.
Silverstein
Bleeding on the Floor
Silverstein
June 15th, 2007 at 04:13pm
If the baby died inside the mother's womb (happened to my mom twice, I woulda had two little bros, now I'm lonely), then in that case, yes. I'm against abortion, but in that case, yes. Any other case, no.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 15th, 2007 at 07:32pm
^ look at the abortion page, people are going to have the proceedure done, why let them go to waste, or you could save others lives and make it easier on people. THEY ARE ALREADY DEAD!
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
June 15th, 2007 at 07:51pm
^
I agree completely. People are going to have abortions. Should we save lives from it or not? Why do you care more about a life that isn't even going to happen than a life that could be kept from ending?
How can "pro-life" people be against saving lives?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 16th, 2007 at 12:43am
^ better way to put it.
Helena and Hearts
Jazz Hands
Helena and Hearts
June 16th, 2007 at 09:36pm
i totaly disagree with it it's kinda wrong
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 16th, 2007 at 09:37pm
^Why?
This is a discussion board. If you post here, you have to discuss.
Flat_Lined
Joining The Black Parade
Flat_Lined
September 3rd, 2007 at 01:51am
I totally agree with stem cell research. I think its wrong to let thousands of embryos go to waste when they could be used to save the lives of thousands of people. when i say 'embryo' I think some people think more along the line of a fetus. A fetus is what is developed about eight weeks after conception, and it already has the basic structure and resemblance of an adult human. I think there is some research being done on these aborted fetuses because they are more developed, which I cannot say I fully condone.
But I think most of the research is being done on embryos, often not aged two weeks. Two weeks after conception is when the first evidence of the nervous system shows, so that makes it more controversial to experiment on them.
But before then the embryo is barely a cluster of cells without any real resemblance to a living person whatsoever. Some people claim (i can't say this number is true for sure, i found it on a website) that 400000 frozen embryos go to waste each year. They could be used to help people. They could help find the cure for cancer and other deadly diseases. They can even give blind people their sight and I'm sure many other things.
i think the church needs to see that stem cell research can save the lives of people who have people that love and care for them, and lives that they want to keep on living. I'm happy that some stem cell research is already being done, and I hope that someday soon that it will lead to more ways to help people.
xdemolition lover x
Joining The Black Parade
xdemolition lover x
September 3rd, 2007 at 03:05am
I don't agree with the church.
Stem cell research could definately be beneficial for science.
But the frozen eggs that are being destroyed aren't living, nor developed, so it's not like people doing the reaserch are taking a life or anything.
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
September 4th, 2007 at 12:13am
okay... speaking as someone who almost was stem cell research... i can't exactly be for it... and just so you know, what the media is telling you is bullshit. stem cells don't just come from aborted fetuses... they can come from cord blood, amniotic fluid, and even living breathing adults... so, therefore, there is no need for abortions... i know that i may sound like i'm contradicting myself, but you have to understand that research has been done, and proves that if every woman on the planet would get pregnant today, that maybe 5 at most would die from not having abortions... so, are they really necessary? like i said, speaking as someone who was nearly killed before i was born... i don't think so... i didn't spend hours in the freezing cold weather at the National Pro-Life March for nothing... seriously... do some research... don't rely on the media... like i said, it's just bullshit...