Don't have an account? Create one!

Stem Cell Research

AuthorMessage
stac-renee
Killjoy
stac-renee
April 3rd, 2008 at 10:51am
I THINK THE CATHOLICS ARE IDIOTS, WE CAN SAVE LIVES AND POSSIBLY CURE CANCER WITH THESE STEM CELLS - I AM ALL FOR IT
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 21st, 2009 at 08:33am
stac-renee:
I THINK THE CATHOLICS ARE IDIOTS
That's a bit of a generalisation. It's also quite offensive.
And please don't type in all caps, it's like you're shouting.
Gaea
Killjoy
Gaea
February 17th, 2011 at 07:53pm
I think that if we create free clinic type environments where men and women could donate their eggs and sperm, and embryos could be formed, it would be very beneficial. The embryos could then be used to retrieve cultures of stem cells, and used for research. Personally, I am a Christian, but to have a person go through the type of torture that some diseases induce is almost as bad as the death of the child, or even worse. Imagine being stuck in a chair for the rest of your life, not able to do anything for yourself like Steven Hawking? Personally, if something like that happened, even if you had an IQ like his, or something distinguishing that resembled that, I would have trouble debating whether or not that was a life worth living... >_>
With the help of these stem cells, though, all of this could be solved for thousands. Thousands, or millions of people would be saved.
Another topic I would like to debate is the factor of embryonic vs. adult stem cells. First, embryonic stem cells are a lot easier to form a culture of. In other words, if the stem cells were removed from an adult for testing or transplants, there is less of a chance that it would provide a culture of stem cells that would provide useable research or stem cells that would not be able to be used in a transplant. Although, embryonic cells have more of a chance of providing a useable culture. Adult stem cells, also, cannot form nerve or brain cells, therefore are not as useful. Embryonic cells, on the other hand, can form these cells. Although, embryonic cells are less likely to be accepted in a transplant due to difference in DNA, but that can simply be overcome by the stem cells being extracted from an embyro of the person who needs the stem cells and another doner. Or, if that person is unable to donate, the closest relative will donate, and that will assure the maximum success rate...
BornToQuit
Joining The Black Parade
BornToQuit
February 19th, 2011 at 03:14pm
I'm all for it, advances in science always have to be dealt with carefully and with control but I think it's an excellent technology.
Apparently we could've used stem cells to help my Dad be able to walk again after he got a terrible virus years ago. He doesn't like to admit it but I know he'd lvoe to be able to walk. It's sad to say but having a disabled parent really has changed the way us kdis have grown up.
ForrestFIRE_Angel
Killjoy
ForrestFIRE_Angel
April 24th, 2011 at 02:46pm
What are your views on Stem Cell Research?
i think stem cell research should be used coincided with late pregnancy out's
like if some one wants a late abortion kinda thing.

Do you agree with the church?
i don't agree with most views with the church, but that's me personally as i was pushed into catholic religion when i was put in nursery and most Christians seem to try and push religion the same way.

What does your religion say about Stem Cell Research?
Christianity is still kinda growing on the idea of contraception, i think talking about abortion in the religion is too soon XD

in my personal opinion i think that stem cell research is an amazing idea and makes allot of progress in many areas of medicine <3
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 12th, 2011 at 09:32am
I think if God (just assuming he exists, for the sake of argument) noticed that we were using stem cell research, he'd probably think us clever, rather than anything else. Yeah, I can see why people see it as "toying with nature" but I reckon he'd be pretty impressed, not disheartened.
Wolly-san
Fabulous Killjoy
Wolly-san
December 13th, 2011 at 10:55am
Gaea:
I think that if we create free clinic type environments where men and women could donate their eggs and sperm, and embryos could be formed, it would be very beneficial. The embryos could then be used to retrieve cultures of stem cells, and used for research. Personally, I am a Christian, but to have a person go through the type of torture that some diseases induce is almost as bad as the death of the child, or even worse. Imagine being stuck in a chair for the rest of your life, not able to do anything for yourself like Steven Hawking? Personally, if something like that happened, even if you had an IQ like his, or something distinguishing that resembled that, I would have trouble debating whether or not that was a life worth living... >_>
With the help of these stem cells, though, all of this could be solved for thousands. Thousands, or millions of people would be saved.
Another topic I would like to debate is the factor of embryonic vs. adult stem cells. First, embryonic stem cells are a lot easier to form a culture of. In other words, if the stem cells were removed from an adult for testing or transplants, there is less of a chance that it would provide a culture of stem cells that would provide useable research or stem cells that would not be able to be used in a transplant. Although, embryonic cells have more of a chance of providing a useable culture. Adult stem cells, also, cannot form nerve or brain cells, therefore are not as useful. Embryonic cells, on the other hand, can form these cells. Although, embryonic cells are less likely to be accepted in a transplant due to difference in DNA, but that can simply be overcome by the stem cells being extracted from an embyro of the person who needs the stem cells and another doner. Or, if that person is unable to donate, the closest relative will donate, and that will assure the maximum success rate...

I agree though what about all the people that have been drinking and doing drugs. Should they have an equal chance of being able to have the new cells that are created from the stem cells because they did what they did to themselves and I dont think that drinkers should get benefits in that area because like in the UK where there is NHS. Does that mean that they would be able to get the treatment free and just reck up there livers again and again and again. Thats why personally I don't think scientists should be able to have their hands on things like that. And by the way I am not a christian so I am not going to be bias on all of the facters in thid discussion XD