Don't have an account? Create one!

Stem Cell Research

AuthorMessage
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
February 1st, 2007 at 04:24am

Okay, for those of you who do not know what Stem Cells are here is a quick defintion.

Stem cells are primal cells common to all multi-cellular organisms that retain the ability to renew themselves through cell division and can differentiate into a wide range of specialized cell types.
The three broad categories of mammalian stem cells exist: embryonic stem cells, derived from blastocysts, adult stem cells, which are found in adult tissues, and cord blood stem cells, which are found in the umbilical cord.

That is located on Wikipedia, click HERE for some more.

Doing research on these Stem Cells may help science come up with cures for Cancer and other treatments for diseases.
For centres supplying the service of In-vitro Fertilisation, or IVF (this is pretty much where the eggs from the woman are mixed with sperm so that they can be fertilized and then implanted back into the woman if she has trouble with getting pregnant), they have thousands of eggs frozen and kept away.
But so many of these eggs are just being destroyed.
This what I want to discuss.
Catholic views on destroying eggs, that I know of, isn't as serious as using them for Stem Cell Research.
The Church opposes Stem Cell Research when it could be benefitial[sp?] for science.
But they do not have that much of a problem with simply leaving them in a storage room frozen, only to be destroyed.

What are your views on Stem Cell Research?
Do you agree with the church?
What does your religion say about Stem Cell Research?
Please don't just say you oppose or are for it.
Can you please Justify your answers?
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
February 1st, 2007 at 04:45am
If there is a way that cures can be found for diseases than I agree with it. The eggs aren't furtilised though are they? So it is not like they are little babies being killed.

No I don't agree with the church, and this has absolutely nothing to do with religion. But the church likes to have an opinion about everything....

Stem cell research is beneficial for science and I agree with it.
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
February 1st, 2007 at 05:00am

Well, they fertilize the egg and then pretty much infect it to see the effects from the early stages.
But it is still okay, because to think that the parents were going to have them destroyed.

the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
February 1st, 2007 at 05:08am
Yeah well that's fine. They are not living and they're not developed.
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
February 1st, 2007 at 05:15am

But that is why the Church has a problem with it.
Because they have the "potential" to be a human being.
I still agree to having consent before you take a womans egg and a mans sperm to create a cell to experiment on
but I don't think that the Church has to oppose it so
lacey;;
Always Born a Crime
lacey;;
February 1st, 2007 at 06:05am
...Stem Cell Research? Church?...what's up with the church prying onto that issue?...isn't SCR beneficial?...guess i won't agree with the church, too...especially if it has anything to do with cures and stuff...especially when it comes to cancer....
Feel What You Feel.
Bleeding on the Floor
Feel What You Feel.
February 1st, 2007 at 06:38am
Cap'n Scumbag.:

But that is why the Church has a problem with it.
Because they have the "potential" to be a human being.
I still agree to having consent before you take a womans egg and a mans sperm to create a cell to experiment on
but I don't think that the Church has to oppose it so

Well, one day we'll probably be able to clone any cell in our bodies, so then wouldn't those cells also be "potential" human beings? And then, if you have a disease or something and want the disease cells removed, then would it be denied because you're killing a "potential" human being?
The idea that they are potential human being just doesn't really work.

I agree with stem cell research because it's beneficial to science.
I'm also Atheist, so my religion does not affect my decision.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
February 1st, 2007 at 08:15am
I'm an atheist too, and i agree that stem stell research is benificial to science and the church is wrong with "potential human being". It's like saying cutting an apple seed in half is like chopping down a tree.
lacey;;
Always Born a Crime
lacey;;
February 1st, 2007 at 08:59am

...i mean, it's not really a big deal for the church...as long as it will contribute to science...probably it depends whether the means of it is either good or bad...

...=sigh= i don't have any religion...guess i'll join hell....=sigh=
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 1st, 2007 at 12:00pm
I'm for stem cell research. I don't know a whole lot about science, but it makes sense to me that SCR could be enormously benefitial.

I understand why the Church is against stem cell research - it's the same as being against abortion. I have the same stance - if it doesn't have brain function, it's not alive. It's got as much potential for life as the eggs that will get destroyed. I'm Catholic, so I obviously don't need to explain what my religion's view on the matter is, but I tend to ignore the Church on matters like this.

I do think there should be a certain amount of discretion involved in stem cell research. I don't think it should be used on some frivilous cause. But if it's research that's going to seriously help people, and if the egg and sperm donor consent, I support it.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
February 2nd, 2007 at 05:58pm
It is only a potential life if it has a mother to be implanted in to.
Bleeding Stares
Really Not Okay
Bleeding Stares
February 2nd, 2007 at 06:08pm
Personally, I think the Church is stubborn, stuck-up, and old-fashioned, even though I am Catholic.

But I don't agree with stem cell research. I don't like abortion, but the mothers will find worst ways to take care of things, so I feel it's good that it's legal. But I have no such excuse for making stem cell research, so I can't say it should be legal. But the fact is that it is legal, and the Church needs to realize they cannot change that.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
February 3rd, 2007 at 07:35pm
Truce Legend:
Personally, I think the Church is stubborn, stuck-up, and old-fashioned, even though I am Catholic.

But I don't agree with stem cell research. I don't like abortion, but the mothers will find worst ways to take care of things, so I feel it's good that it's legal. But I have no such excuse for making stem cell research, so I can't say it should be legal. But the fact is that it is legal, and the Church needs to realize they cannot change that.

yeah i agree with you 100%
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
February 4th, 2007 at 06:42pm
As long as it doesn't harm anyone, I don't see the point against stem cell. To trust someone with stem cells to use the right thing is the big key here. Take stem cells without causing anyone pain and using them in research or usage that is beneficial, I fully support. Using stem cells for cloning or taking them by harm I don't support at all.

Stem cells can be used to cure MANY diseases, and save people's lives. If no harm can relieve others in harm, I don't see anything wrong with the logic.
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
February 4th, 2007 at 06:50pm

Im glad to see so many people agree

XGhostBusterFamousX
Killjoy
XGhostBusterFamousX
February 11th, 2007 at 10:15pm
i am against it because it is like mutating unborn children.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 11th, 2007 at 11:01pm
MyChem7518:
i am against it because it is like mutating unborn children.

But the child is already dead so what's the point? Stem Cell research will give us cures and understanding for all types diseases and syndromes etc etcf.
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
February 12th, 2007 at 01:55am
Now, I'm not a reliigous person. . . but if god really didn't want all of these things. . . where in the Bible does it say "No stem cell research!"?
If it is beneficial to scientific advance and saving lives, them I am all for it.

IVF (this is pretty much where the eggs from the woman are mixed with sperm so that they can be fertilized and then implanted back into the woman if she has trouble with getting pregnant)

-Then shouldn't the church get mad at women for having their menstual cycle? If 'it has potential for becoming a life' it is bad awful for you to get rid of it, 'kill it'? Doesn;t every unfertilized egg have potential for becoming a life? Every sperm potential for becoming a life? You want to sue men for masturbation? (wreckless abandonment) I know my point is extreme, but if the egg and sperm have no mom, it cannot grow into a life, and therefore it really isn't a 'life'.

(Please correct me if I am -factually- wrong.)
through the mire
Salute You in Your Grave
through the mire
February 14th, 2007 at 01:12am
i think stem cell research is very important. its not like the cells they take were going to be children anyway. . .most die when the woman dies, and the research can save many, many people's lives.

ps: ^^The Devil: i love your point about wreckless abandonment! i never thought of it that way. . .it really proves the point
The.Blue.Kitten
Joining The Black Parade
The.Blue.Kitten
February 28th, 2007 at 03:31pm
I think stem cell research is fine but should be kept in the sense that the umbilical cord is saved and that if the person, later in life was paralyzed, the cells can cure that