Don't have an account? Create one!

Evolution

AuthorMessage
mrs.johnnychrist.
Really Not Okay
mrs.johnnychrist.
May 19th, 2007 at 11:23pm
Fezzik:
^So then how do you account for dinosaurs? The Lucy fossil? I don't understand how a person can honestly take into account all the evidence supporting evolution and dismiss it so easily.

i didn't say anything about the dinosaurs not being real.
i mean yeahh they could be real but i really don't think they were alive millions of years ago.
God can create new animals at any time he wants to ya know.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
May 20th, 2007 at 02:42am
The theories on our cosmic existence haven't been proven to date and I don't think they ever will be. Apparently our universe was created, evolved whatever you want to call it over 13 billion years ago. That's a long time for creatures and humans to evolve. Darwin's theory of natural selection didn't imply that one day monkeys magically turned into humans, it was a process that took an unidentified amount of years. His theory isn't and never was concrete, it was just an attempt to discover a non-religious way of explaining how humans came to be.

I just don't beleive the creation story in the bible. I am not an athiest, I am open to the idea of God. I just find that the bible is flawed. People back in those days could have written anything and the illiterate people would have believed it.

Anyway there is a doco on the ABC tonight at 9:30 on the scientific theories of creation and the creation account in the bible.

I like this though:
The question of the relationship between God and man is entwined with the questions surrounding mans origin. A seemingly never ending debate rages in our courts and in our schools over whether we should believe the Book of Genesis or Charles Darwin. Did God create man, or did man create God in order to explain the unexplainable? Or are both of these ideas correct? Many of us seem to need the concept of an ultimate Creator to shield us from the confusing conundrum of our existence. (intervention mag, 2004).

Yeah my post is now long enough.
MCR FREAK
Fabulous Killjoy
MCR FREAK
May 20th, 2007 at 09:19am
Personally...i'm not sure.

I believe in god but i'm not sure about the begining of the world and stuff soo... i dunno really.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
May 21st, 2007 at 10:35pm
fullmetalfreek:
I dont...if it exist then why arent they changing now?

Because it takes thousands of years for it to take effect.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
May 21st, 2007 at 10:40pm
I have to mention this. The Family Guy episode where Peter tells his whole family history starting with the creation of the universe. One of the best parts was when he said that he was obliged by the State of Kansas to give the creationist view and Geanie from I love Geanie comes out of the water randomly and bops her head and a deer, bunny, businessman, a car, Jesus and Santa.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
May 21st, 2007 at 11:03pm
truthofcontroversy:
I have to mention this. The Family Guy episode where Peter tells his whole family history starting with the creation of the universe. One of the best parts was when he said that he was obliged by the State of Kansas to give the creationist view and Geanie from I love Geanie comes out of the water randomly and bops her head and a deer, bunny, businessman, a car, Jesus and Santa.

Haha, I saw that episode. They were making fun of the fact that some midwestern schools tried to pass off god as scientific fact.
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 22nd, 2007 at 02:14am
I think both theories are correct, to a certain degree. Evolution involves mutation of the DNA, and that is something that we see every day. However, these mutations only occur if the genetic information is already present. Primordial ooze, or what-have-you, probably would not have the information necessary to develop into more evolved creatures. Following the natural order, it would seem that creatures would get more and more simple over time.

So, yeah, I think God created the world, and it continues to evolve.

And I have a great website for you guys-- answersingenesis.org. It has a good deal of evidence and answers, in support of the Bible's first book, Genesis.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 22nd, 2007 at 02:23am
fullmetalfreek:
I dont...if it exist then why arent they changing now?

Actually, humans have 'evolved' over the last hundred years, and over the last fifty years. The average height, shoulder width, shoe size, hip and waist size, leg length and overall physical shape of humans has changed dramatically since the 1890's, the 1930's, the 1950's etc. Lifespans are improving (if you can look at it that way, I personally think people living past the age of about 70 is ridiculous, it just leads to a burden on health systems and overpopulation) all the time due to medical advances, and our brains are developing at crazy rates - a hundred years ago, we had a light bulb and people said 'We'll never evolve any further or invent anything better'. Psshh - look at today's technology and medical and scientific abilities. That's evolution at work.
technicolor.
Demolition Lover
technicolor.
May 24th, 2007 at 10:21am

In my opinion, i think 100 years from now, we are going to be almost invincible, due to evolution.
papershoe
Fabulous Killjoy
papershoe
June 13th, 2007 at 10:48am
i partially believe in evolution, though there are things i disagree on. i mean obviously things evolve over time, though i dont know whether its for the better. one of darwins theory states that with evolution mutations or changes happen for the better and the bad mutations will just get lost. this i do not 100% agree with. for example instead of using the term "negative" or bad "traits" i would use needless in some situations. like the appendix, though its not a mutation, its not bad, and getting rid of it would not be for the better, it would just be getting rid of a needless organ. and there bad traits that other organisms have that are mutations that do just get lost, but i do not feel this is because of evolution. i feel its just because something went wrong during meiosis, and if it gets passed down to offspring, its more genetics than evolution. though the whole thing with naturual selection brings contreversy to my opinion. naturual selection is where the organisms with the better traits are more able to survive in certain habitats. so will the other species just learn to move on to another habitat wear it is better able to survive, or will the theory of evolution take place and over time this organism will be beter adabted to a particualr enviroment that before would not be able to survive in? this is where it confuses me.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
June 13th, 2007 at 03:38pm
XpotatowillrockyouX:
i partially believe in evolution, though there are things i disagree on. i mean obviously things evolve over time, though i dont know whether its for the better. one of darwins theory states that with evolution mutations or changes happen for the better and the bad mutations will just get lost. this i do not 100% agree with. for example instead of using the term "negative" or bad "traits" i would use needless in some situations. like the appendix, though its not a mutation, its not bad, and getting rid of it would not be for the better, it would just be getting rid of a needless organ. and there bad traits that other organisms have that are mutations that do just get lost, but i do not feel this is because of evolution. i feel its just because something went wrong during meiosis, and if it gets passed down to offspring, its more genetics than evolution. though the whole thing with naturual selection brings contreversy to my opinion. naturual selection is where the organisms with the better traits are more able to survive in certain habitats. so will the other species just learn to move on to another habitat wear it is better able to survive, or will the theory of evolution take place and over time this organism will be beter adabted to a particualr enviroment that before would not be able to survive in? this is where it confuses me.

Genetics and evolution are tied together. Problems during meiosis get passed down to the offspring. A mutation that gave a rabbit the ability to run faster, say, would get passed down to more rabbits in the next generation because that original rabbit would live longer and reproduce more since he could outrun prey. A mutation that made rabbits run slower wouldn't be passed down at all or not as much, because that rabbit would have a slower life-span and wouldn't be able to reproduce and pass down his mutation.

And I think you're confusing organisms and species. Survival of the fittest means that organisms in any generation with the best traits define the species, so that eventually all or the majority of the population will have that trait several generations along the line. Like, say foxes began to run faster. The rabbit population would decrease, and some rabbits might move to a different environment, but eventually the original population of rabbits would evolve to run faster too. Basically, all species in a habitat have their own niche. Because evolution is an incredibly slow process, each niche is able to adjust and keep balanced as it's happening. It's not as though all of a sudden, all foxes would run faster and the rabbit population would drastically decrease; one fox would run faster, and then the next generation a few more, and so on and so on.
technicolor.
Demolition Lover
technicolor.
June 13th, 2007 at 10:07pm
lena is a potato:

what the hell lena?

ooookkk...... potatos were the first thinggys...then people evolved from them.... that my theory....POTATAOOAATTATATTATATOOOOOOOOO!!!

What?
Please don't spam.
Charlie The Unicorn
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Charlie The Unicorn
June 14th, 2007 at 11:04pm
I don't really have anything to explain, I just simply don't believe in the theory of evolution because I believe God made the world in 6 literal days, and we may have evolved a little bit, but not by the way Darwin said we did.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
June 15th, 2007 at 03:32pm
We are all living proof that humans evolved into taller beings with smaller foreheads. There are human skeletons from thousands of years ago that were genetically short with very large foreheads. Their size was not due to nutrition, it was genetic. Whether or not god was involved is an entirely different discussion and more suited to the Religion thread.
jace wayland.
Shotgun Sinner
jace wayland.
June 15th, 2007 at 11:01pm
Do you believe in evolution? Yes
Why? Becase I don't believe everything apeared just at once like a person stated above. I don't believe that two humans came to be. There has to be more to it. There is so much evidence pointing to evolution.
MelancholyMisery
Salute You in Your Grave
MelancholyMisery
June 21st, 2008 at 11:54pm
I put anything and everything down to evolution.
Diseases evolved as humans evolved, humans find antibiotics and the disease evolves more, humans become immune and the disease evolves to override the immunity.
There are so many humans in the world that we are in danger of destroying it just by existing so things that have evolved to kill us might not nessesarily be a bad thing. Most people dont see this because humans have evolved to love and care for each other, we are far too empathetic so we go about finding a cure for anything and everything.
This is bad because nature wants the strongest to survive to evolve into a stronger race all-round. If we keep letting people with genetic diseases breed like rabbits all it's going to take is one little bout of peanut flavoured shrimp flu and we will all be dead.

I'm sorry, I'm not a mean person and I do love and care for people.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
June 22nd, 2008 at 03:14am

This is more a question then actual opinion.

Cain and Abel were the first children, right?
One of them decided to slay the other. Im not sure which one, but that much I do know.
So now it is Adam, Eve and their son.
How would they be able to make more children without it being incest or daughters with sons?

I personally believe in evolution, because its all about strongest will survive.
And that is basically being illustrated in everyday life.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 22nd, 2008 at 04:56am
Melancholy Misery.:
I put anything and everything down to evolution.
Diseases evolved as humans evolved, humans find antibiotics and the disease evolves more, humans become immune and the disease evolves to override the immunity.
There are so many humans in the world that we are in danger of destroying it just by existing so things that have evolved to kill us might not nessesarily be a bad thing. Most people dont see this because humans have evolved to love and care for each other, we are far too empathetic so we go about finding a cure for anything and everything.
This is bad because nature wants the strongest to survive to evolve into a stronger race all-round. If we keep letting people with genetic diseases breed like rabbits all it's going to take is one little bout of peanut flavoured shrimp flu and we will all be dead.

I'm sorry, I'm not a mean person and I do love and care for people.

What you said about breeding out people with genetic diseases makes evolutionary sense in theory, but I don't see
a) how we'd go about doing that, and
b) even if we do ever breed out those people, how do we know that other genetic diseases aren't going to develop?

I think genetic diseases will always be present and there's nothing really we can do about it...
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
November 20th, 2010 at 09:21am

The thing about the whole evolution vs. religion debate for me is proof.

You often hear of bacteria becoming resistant to medication, which is due to a random mutation in their DNA. This follows the evolutionary rules as the resitant bacteria have a trait that gives them an advantage in the population, so they are more likely to survive and pass on their genes to their offspring while bacteria without resistance die, removing the non-resistant gene from the gene pool. Over time you get a fully resistant bacteria that is more adapted to the environment around them.

There we go, solid evidence of evolution. What proof does God and religion have?
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
November 20th, 2010 at 10:00am
That's only true for bacteria.
The only reason evolution doesn't make sense for me is this

some site:
The evolutionist ignores the problem surrounding the human female egg and the male sperm in the evolutionary theory. The female egg contains the X-chromosome and the male sperm contains either an X-chromosome for the reproduction of a male or an X-chromosome for the reproduction of a female. The female eggs all develop within the ovaries while she is a baby (fetus) within her mother's womb. Evolutionists claim environmental factors cause small changes in the offspring in the evolutionary chain. However, the environmental experience of the female cannot change the chromosomes within her eggs and cannot have any effect upon her offspring. Her body cannot go into the eggs contained within her ovaries at her birth to make an intelligent change. Females cannot be a part of the evolutionary theory for these reasons.

I'm not best at arguing, but this was my only real issue with it.
If anyone could explain it to me that'd be wonderful, but I don't think this fact could really be disputed.