Don't have an account? Create one!

Cyber-Bullying.

AuthorMessage
Miss x You x More
Fabulous Killjoy
Miss x You x More
July 14th, 2007 at 04:09am
What type of effects have you seen as a result of cyber-bullying?

Do you think it should recieve more attention that regular bullying?

Do you think that all of the current attempts to end cyber bullying are working?

Do you think that children in school should get in trouble for it if it occurs out of school?

What are your ideas to put a stop to cyber bullying?
Miss x You x More
Fabulous Killjoy
Miss x You x More
July 14th, 2007 at 04:20am
One of my friends almost killed herself because of cyber-bullying. I was cyber-bullied by the same person only not as severely.

I think that while it IS a widely used form of bullying, it should be given more attention than regular bullying because I've seen many people (including myself) be hurt severely (emotionally and physically) by regular bullying. It has equally devestating effects.

I think that we are doing all that we possibly can to stop this. It can't be completely ended. Things will always slip by board moderators and IMs will always be sent.

While it helps to end cyber-bullying, i dont think it's right for schools to get involved in things that happen outside of school. They should have absolutely nothing to do with our personal lives when we arent in school.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 14th, 2007 at 08:35am
What type of effects have you seen as a result of cyber-bullying?
well i was bullied alot when i was younger and it made me suicidal and well i had so many self image issues and stuff, it carrys so much effect on you

Do you think it should recieve more attention that regular bullying?
i think bulling in general needs more attention, it can really screw up a person. kids need to know its not exceptable and what can be the outcome

Do you think that all of the current attempts to end cyber bullying are working?
no, bullying is still going on strong for alot of kids

Do you think that children in school should get in trouble for it if it occurs out of school?
hell yeah, they deserve to get in trouble for it or else the kid will just think it's tolerated to make another kid feel like shit
What are your ideas to put a stop to cyber bullying?
more attention to how you can ruin a life
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
July 15th, 2007 at 02:50am
I think this subject deserves a topic on its own,
not just in the Bullying thread.
So no more posts about that, I just
deleted a few of them.

And I think Mibba & GSB have a pretty cool
Anti Cyber-Bullying Campaing, worth checking out. :]
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 15th, 2007 at 03:04am
bulling of any kind is enough to make any kid suicidal
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 15th, 2007 at 05:14am
Well, not really, illustrated_romance.
I've been bullied in school and on the internet. Really, it depends on your self-esteem, and if it really gets personal, also it can depend on where you are in your life.
Like after a divorce, a death in the family, or any kind of traumatizing event can make someone more sensitive.
Or maybe 'sensitive' isn't a good word...
Uh, well, I don't know how else to say it.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 15th, 2007 at 06:50am
Her Dark Materials.:
Well, not really, illustrated_romance.
I've been bullied in school and on the internet. Really, it depends on your self-esteem, and if it really gets personal, also it can depend on where you are in your life.
Like after a divorce, a death in the family, or any kind of traumatizing event can make someone more sensitive.
Or maybe 'sensitive' isn't a good word...
Uh, well, I don't know how else to say it.

well i was bullied alot and it made me suicidal, same thing with some other people i know
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 15th, 2007 at 09:28am
Miss x You x More:
While it helps to end cyber-bullying, i dont think it's right for schools to get involved in things that happen outside of school. They should have absolutely nothing to do with our personal lives when we arent in school.
I beg to differ - I definitely think the school's headmaster etc should get involved if cyber-bullying is found to have been committed against a student by other students, even outside of school. That's why C-B is so popular - the perpetrators think that if they aren't in school grounds or wearing their uniforms, they can totally get away with it, and getting authorities involved if cyber-bullying happens can make them realise that there's nowhere for them to hide and might deter them from further attacking their victim.

I personally think that cyber-bullying is so horrific because not only is the internet a 'safe' place for kids to sort of hide and find their own little space away from those they are being targeted by (therefore shattering their 'safe zone' when the bullies get to them via the net), but because the bullying is there to go over and over again - like, nobody writes offensive letters and sends them to the victim because they could be shown to headmasters, guidance counsellors, parents or other authority figures, but an email just sits in an inbox where the victim can sit there and read it over and over again and feel like absolute crap over and over again. It's so detrimental to one's mental wellbeing to feel that they aren't even safe in their own home, in their own bedroom.
CAMERONEO
Killjoy
CAMERONEO
July 15th, 2007 at 10:35pm
^^ wow, well said..
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 15th, 2007 at 11:09pm
illustrated_romance:

well i was bullied alot and it made me suicidal, same thing with some other people i know
But that's not what I'm talking about.
Are you very self-confident?
Did the cyber-bullying get so personal that it mentioned relationships with family members and friends?
Did it have something to do with your appearance or race?

Not all kinds of cyber-bullying can make someone suicidal. It takes pushing the right buttons, saying the right things, bullying the right person at the right time.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
July 17th, 2007 at 07:21pm
Cyber bullying is really as bad as 'regular' bullying.

Like Cigarettes And Suicide said, it makes you feel like you're not safe in your own bedroom.

I don't really know if it should be brought up in school. I think it should - because if it's two kids in a school together, especially in the same form group, it'll cause some tensions, clique rivalry, and in some cases, even huge, majority-of-school-split-in-half-fighting-each-other gangs, if nothing is done.

MrRandomGuy
Fabulous Killjoy
MrRandomGuy
July 17th, 2007 at 07:35pm
Shatterheart loser.:
Cyber bullying is really as bad as 'regular' bullying.

That's true. I was bullied time and time again from the members of the Yellowcard message board and I became less and less healthy. They messed with me too many times, so I decided to mess with them. Hacking to my email and changing my password was the final straw. Now, thanks to my cousin, that message board no longer exists.
MyFamousLastWords
Killjoy
MyFamousLastWords
July 18th, 2007 at 07:41pm
I have never been cyber bullied, but yes it is very serious. im still not sure if it should recieve more attention then regular bullying.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 19th, 2007 at 12:31am
^ I think it should receive just as much, if not more, attention than 'regular' bullying. As I and a couple of others have pointed out, 'regular' bullying can occur out in public on weekends or after school, on the bus on the wayto or from school, or in school, but at least these bullies aren't coming into your home and threatening you or bullying you in the safety, comfort and privacy of your own living room, bedroom and back yard.
To me, that's one of the worst things about cyber-bullying - you can skip class, not go to parties or the mall or wherever you know the bullies are likely to be, and get a ride home from school with friends rather than take th bus, but the bullies are still there waiting for you when you get home.
And, I don't know about anybody else, but I have been cyber-bullied and it's horrific - I know I should have just deleted the text messages and emails and abusive comments, but I didn't - I'd let them sit there in their respective inboxes and read them over and over again, and every time I read them I'd get that same overwhelming feeling of dread, anger, frustration, shame, etc. It's terrible, and still effects me to this day.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
July 20th, 2007 at 04:06pm
ANY form of bullying should be taken really seriously. I think bullying is worser now because people have technology to do it. I don't think schools have really solved the problem because like most idiots, they take it as a joke and not a serious problem. (Like what happened in Xavior College. The school said it was a joke when students got hurt.)
DisenchantedTeenager
Killjoy
DisenchantedTeenager
July 20th, 2007 at 07:55pm
I agree with Kaede. But I think that regular bullying should be taken more serious because it can mentally and physically affect you. Also with cyber-bullying couldnt you just ignore the messages, and IM's and such. But I do agree that any form of bullying is bad.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
July 21st, 2007 at 02:41pm
i'm confused. how can you be bullied online?
m45tq
Awake and Unafraid
m45tq
July 21st, 2007 at 07:03pm
I think it's awful.
If you start being rude, and saying negative things about people online, it's just as hurtful as if they'd said it to you in person. No matter who's talking to you, whether you know them or not, it still hurts to be told you're an idiot, you're ugly, or whatever.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
July 22nd, 2007 at 04:36am
the.reaper.wore.pink:
i'm confused. how can you be bullied online?

From this forum I watched on tv about bullying, people are able to make hate websites about a person and have polls of who people hate the most or they could send quizs by emails to other people asking questions like, "Who is the biggest b**** in the school?" Then you answer it by multiple choice choosing names of people.
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
July 22nd, 2007 at 05:20am
I've had people go on different instant messengers, pretending to be someone while talking to someone at school. Then they go to school and show their friends a printed out chat that they had. Talking to friends like "OMG she does THAT at night?" or "She likes THAT kid?!"

I think if you bring the trouble into school, then you should be kept responsible. The person who printed out that chat should get in trouble, not for chatting with them... but for showing that chat to his friends, etc.

The hard thing about cyber-bullying is the fact that sometimes the event's punishment is completely circumstancial.

If Jonny talks trash to Charlie online, but at school ignores him, does he deserve to get punished?

I don't think so, but I believe the two of them should get school counseling together.

Short summing things up: it depends on the circumstance, but something should be done about it. If it's parrent contact, school counseling, becuase things can turn out of hand... and someone can get hurt.