Don't have an account? Create one!

Writing

AuthorMessage
Miss Zacky Vengeance
Joining The Black Parade
Miss Zacky Vengeance
August 13th, 2007 at 03:42pm
who here writes their own songs (lyrics, guitar, piano, sheet music.....etc.) ?
I've written a couple songs but only one is completely finished.

if anyone needs advice or has advice to give come here!
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 13th, 2007 at 11:04pm
great thread
anyways yep i write my own songs and make my own songs on the guitar
Tux_Rocks
Joining The Black Parade
Tux_Rocks
August 14th, 2007 at 01:48am
I also write my own songs, err... I've written about 50 so far including 1 1/2 symphonyies, some classical stuff. And rock songs too for guitar. I do my own lyrics too.
Sympathy
Jazz Hands
Sympathy
August 14th, 2007 at 12:57pm
My band are hoping to move on to originals soon. I was wondering.. what's the best way to get everyone to write their piece for their instrument and make sure it goes together all really well?
I'm not sure. Should we have lyrics to build a melody on? Should someone start and have their piece and everyone else plays to compliment that, or should it just be jammed and freestyled until we go, 'hey!'?

I don't know. And if its one (or more) of those, how do I find out which is best for my band?
Miss Zacky Vengeance
Joining The Black Parade
Miss Zacky Vengeance
August 14th, 2007 at 10:20pm
I usually write the lyrics first and add a melody/ harmonies after the lyrics are completed. then work on a bass line then piano/ lead guitar and build it up....then if there is any parts of the lyrics that dont keep on beat tweak it up from there.
Miss Zacky Vengeance
Joining The Black Parade
Miss Zacky Vengeance
August 14th, 2007 at 10:20pm
anyway thats what i do .....you might end up with a couple errors (a wrong note or two) but nothing major
SheaLeone;KJ
Motor Baby
SheaLeone;KJ
August 15th, 2007 at 02:05am

as always.

Sympathy
Jazz Hands
Sympathy
August 15th, 2007 at 04:49am
I'll try that then. It sounds like a fairly effective method.
Thank you!
Funky Crime
Bleeding on the Floor
Funky Crime
August 15th, 2007 at 05:30am
I always write my own stuff, including sheet music and lyrics. When I do solos I NEVER write them down because they're always spur of the moment. But for choruses and stuff like that, yes, I write them down. I used to play only a little of my own stuff, but now I don't like playing a lot of unoriginal tunes. There are times though, when I just HAVE to play a good blues tune or something.
vicious.
Bulletproof Heart
vicious.
August 15th, 2007 at 10:56am
At the moment my band only does covers, but we are working on writing our own lyrics and music.
Miss Zacky Vengeance
Joining The Black Parade
Miss Zacky Vengeance
August 15th, 2007 at 04:59pm
i usually get good ideas for lyrics when im randomly singing in the shower ......but i can never remember the words when i get a chance to write them down....lol
Shinori
Salute You in Your Grave
Shinori
August 17th, 2007 at 09:04pm
i just write lyrics
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
August 17th, 2007 at 10:18pm
i write lyrics. or i start to but i never finish them, i get so close to finishing a song, but i never do. any advice? i'll take all the help i can get
Miss Zacky Vengeance
Joining The Black Parade
Miss Zacky Vengeance
August 18th, 2007 at 04:17pm
if you start writing a song stick to it......come up with a story or purpose for the song first. ask yourself "What is this song about? , Who am I writing it for/ about? what mood is this song? Who's point of veiw is this song from? , who is the lead singer in this song (ie. themself, a narrator, a soul, a girl who has been abused by her boyfriend, i dont know ...a bag of skittles...)

ask your self these questions then generate the lyrics from that....stick to it until it is finished and as i said before tweak it up after.

also when finding the purpose try writing or comming up with a short story....like say :

once upon a time there was i boy i had a crush on. we were so happy together

then he broke my heart....oh the sorrow

i hate his f-ing guts and i wish he chokes and dies

now i feel guilty because he did....the end

ok so the first line is saying about how happy she was with the guy (so the lead singer is a girl who has had her heart broken)

the second line is about her depressive phase after he dumped her (say he cheated on her so talk about maybe how much she hates the other girl)

the third line is about her hatred now. her vengeance.....

and the fourth is about her guilt.

so yeah now you get how to make sure you stick to the point of you song and not make it sound like you are singing about ADD.
Evil_Alice
Motor Baby
Evil_Alice
August 18th, 2007 at 04:21pm
^ just stick with them. Don't give up writing until you finish them. If you get stuck, have a break - anything from thirty mins to a couple of days - until you feel ready to go back.

I find it helps to get my lyrics done in one sitting: I loose things, otherwise. I tend to get this idea in my head and I have to put it down as fast as I possibly can in case I forget any of it >_< strange, I know, but that's how I work. And then I do harmony. Then melody - I only write ballads for piano - voice at the moment as I haven't learnt guitar, which is a lot less complicated.
xxLockxx
Jazz Hands
xxLockxx
August 28th, 2007 at 01:05am
I have just started writing lyrics. I got a few stuff down but I don't knw if the are good or bad. I need to get them proof read.
I am trying to write bass lines aswell but it always ends up being boring or too complicated.
aunt jemima.
Banned
aunt jemima.
August 28th, 2007 at 01:28am
i've been writing guitar riffs for a year or so, and just started with lyrics. i'm not real great with either- but that's what my band is for, yeah?

the only tip i have is writing down /everything/ helps a lot. like, no matter how horrible you think the song is at the time, it's nice to see how far you've come on down the road, and sometimes you can re-write your old songs to make them sound 10x better.
mer von d
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mer von d
August 28th, 2007 at 05:43am
yep my band does originals (check out myspace.com/janedoeftw), but yeah, just try writing down absolutely anything you can possibly think of no matter how bad it is and you're sure to come up with some winner lol xx
Wolf Child
Killjoy
Wolf Child
August 29th, 2007 at 07:27pm
I write guitar pieces and lirics but i'm not in a band anymore i'm looking for a band to join. if your stuck with writing a song grab a dictionary, open on a random page ang pick a word aslong as you know what it meens and isent realy long or confusing.
mer von d
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mer von d
August 30th, 2007 at 06:23am
cowriting songs is a really good place to start if you're having trouble... just grab a like-minded friend (a friend with songwriting experience is always good) and have a go... share your ideas with them and just let it happen... just make sure you both get credit for it or it could be the end of your partnership/friendship/band/whatever