Don't have an account? Create one!

HPV or Human Papilloma Virus Shot

AuthorMessage
Way1203
Fabulous Killjoy
Way1203
September 18th, 2007 at 02:49am
There doesnt seem to be a topic on this yet so I made one. I just got this shot today, the first of the series of shots...

What do you think about the HPV shot, is it worth it? Does it really prevent 70% of cervical cancer cases? What do you think?
HeatherxMarie
Killjoy
HeatherxMarie
September 18th, 2007 at 02:54am
that's what I have been told.But I doubt it.It hurts like hell though
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
September 18th, 2007 at 03:21am
ummm.... scientific facts about Gardasil? can you say, "CROCK OF SH!T?"

it doesn't prevent cervical cancer... it HELPS PROTECT against 4 of the innumerable types of HPV that COULD cause 70% of the cases of cervical cancer...
it doesn't cure the virus... it most certainly isn't a preventative for cancer...

the major dug companies piss me off b/c they pass this damn thing off as a cure of cancer... like i said... it's nothing more than a CROCK OF SH!T.

advice to all you other women out there... do some research... and make sure that you get all of the facts straight... it's not worth the risk of thinking your protected and having something fcuk up the rest of your life because you didn't take the time to google a few things....

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! i've seen too many bad things happen to women who weren't...
Way1203
Fabulous Killjoy
Way1203
September 18th, 2007 at 04:06am
wow
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
September 18th, 2007 at 04:12am
yeah... so when i saw this thread... it thought it was time that someone set the record straight...

any objections?
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
September 18th, 2007 at 04:17am
^For one, watch your language. Profanity isn't allowed on the discussion board.

Two, the drug company never said that the shot would be the cure-all for HPV. In fact, if you listen to the disclaimer on ads for the vaccination, it mentions everything you just said. The shot may not cure HPV and it may not prevent all forms of cervical cancer. Even so, it does prevent SOME cancer, and I for one would rather have SOME protection rather than none at all.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
September 19th, 2007 at 01:32am
genresR4losers:
ummm.... scientific facts about Gardasil? can you say, "CROCK OF SH!T?"

it doesn't prevent cervical cancer... it HELPS PROTECT against 4 of the innumerable types of HPV that COULD cause 70% of the cases of cervical cancer...
it doesn't cure the virus... it most certainly isn't a preventative for cancer...

the major dug companies piss me off b/c they pass this damn thing off as a cure of cancer... like i said... it's nothing more than a CROCK OF SH!T.

advice to all you other women out there... do some research... and make sure that you get all of the facts straight... it's not worth the risk of thinking your protected and having something fcuk up the rest of your life because you didn't take the time to google a few things....

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! i've seen too many bad things happen to women who weren't...
WTF.

If someone is thinking they're totally safe because of it and can now do whatever they want, they've got the wrong idea in the first place. What it's meant to do is to protect people as well as is possible at the moment against the most common types of HPV, and I think it's a good idea and I mean to get the shot.

I also think it's disgusting how some people are shoving it off as "promoting sexual behavior". Doing this means that many people won't get the kind of protection they deserve, simply because whoever can make decisions thinks it's promoting immoral behavior. This is for SAFETY, and it's gross that it's being twisted into something like that.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
September 21st, 2007 at 04:05am
^ Exactly.

Genres, nobody who has a brain believes that this inoculation is anything but protection against one of the factors that is responsible for certain types of cervical cancer. People who believe it is a 'cure' for cancer, don't have a brain, and are probably indulging in other reckless or irresponsible behaviour that would cause them to do damage to themselves in some way (whether it be contracting an STD, destroying their brain through excessive drinking etc), so warning them won't do much good, to be honest.
Why do you think these injections are being given to young girls before they become sexually active? Because we are aware that it's not a cure for cancer or the types of HPV it protects against, so there's not much point in giving it to women who have already been exposed to the virus.

I had the first round of shots the other day when I went for my 6-week post-baby checkup. I didn't really see it as necessary, my antenatal blood tests confirmed I do not have any form of HPV that can be identified with a blood test, and I'm in a monogamous relationship so I doubt I'll be contracting it anyway (unless of course one of us cheats and contracts it, but I don't see that happening). But I got it anyway, for the sake of it. Why not? I figure if there's an injection that could protect me against something that might (the link between HPV and cervical cancer has been proven, you can't deny that) prevent me from getting a deadly cancer, I'll take it anyway.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
September 21st, 2007 at 05:15am
^first up congrats on the baby cigarettes and suicide, i hope all is well with your new little one.

I am pregnant at the moment so i can't get mine just yet but i am sitting on the fence with this one too, the doctors are pretty much keeping tabs on it and they're recommending it when i've had the bubs but i don't know maybe if it helps but we can't really see into the future to see if it works or not now.
shitthatwascyanide
Salute You in Your Grave
shitthatwascyanide
September 21st, 2007 at 05:31am
i think it is good to get gardasil just in case (i did), but like the people above mentioned, it doesn't mean that it totally protects. it's like contraception in that sense... you still have to be careful.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
September 21st, 2007 at 07:03am

Could we please have some information on the first post so that people (like me XD) know what this thread is on?
Just what the shot do or any information thats relevant. Thanks, it would help heaps!
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
September 22nd, 2007 at 06:13pm
In a nutshell, the vaccine protects against some strands of HPV, or Human Papillomavirus, which is a fairly common STD. The vast majority of cervical cancer cases are caused by HPV, so the idea is that if you protect against certain kids of HPV, your chances of having cervical cancer will be much slimmer.

I got it a month or so ago, "just in case."

RedRiot.
Salute You in Your Grave
RedRiot.
September 22nd, 2007 at 08:06pm
I think it is a good idea, but people then shouldn't start taking more risks as they feel they are protected.
That is what it likely to happen, people feel that have been protected 100% then lose all sense of personal and sexual safety!
space monkey.
Salute You in Your Grave
space monkey.
September 24th, 2007 at 04:41am
I took the shots as well and I'm glad I did.
Personally, I think it's a great thing because I'm a former cancer patient so anything to make it so I don't have to go though it again is great for me.
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
September 25th, 2007 at 09:51pm
well... just to defend myself... i wasn't using profanity... if it helps... this is what i typed... sh!t... it's not as noticable in all caps, but i didn't curse...

i just think that people should know that this @&#! vaccine does in no way prevent CANCER... it HELPS to PREVENT certain TYPES of HPV!!!

is it really that hard of a concept to grasp... it's like saying that condoms prevent babies... true in the long run... but not exactly... and it's not nearly as effective as it should be...
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
September 25th, 2007 at 10:50pm
It's just as effective as it claims to be. Have you seen those silly commercials they have? Personally I'm not into advertising prescriptions to consumers, but all that aside, it clearly says that it doesn't prevent or cure cervical cancer, and that it only prevents some types of HPV. And if someone hasn't seen those and plans on gettting the vaccine, my doctor gave me a photocopy that stated all of that in simple English, so I'd assume that they'd have to read that as well.

geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
September 27th, 2007 at 04:21am
The shots hurt! All the year 10's and 11's at my school had to get it. Just to clear things up...just as genresR4losers said it doesn't cure cancer. It cures the virus that causes 70% of cervical cancers. So yeah...it still hurt!
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 29th, 2007 at 05:49am
genresR4losers:

No they don't.
When you see the advertisements for things like this or talk to your doctor about it, it's made very clear that it is not a cure. It is a way to HELP prevent it. They are very open about it not being a cure, not being a treatment, and not being something that will make it 100% positive there is no chance of getting the cancer.

I think you need to calm down and take some time to see what is actually being said about these things.
Smile
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 29th, 2007 at 05:50am
genresR4losers:
well... just to defend myself... i wasn't using profanity... if it helps... this is what i typed... sh!t... it's not as noticable in all caps, but i didn't curse...

"Shit" is a curse word, and is profanity.
Using "!" instead of "i" does not make any difference.
We all know what you meant, we all know what you were saying. And it's slightly immature. I honestly think you need to just take some deep breaths.

So yes, you did curse.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
October 1st, 2007 at 03:02am
genresR4losers:
i just think that people should know that this @&#! vaccine does in no way prevent CANCER... it HELPS to PREVENT certain TYPES of HPV!!!
Exactly. People SHOULD know that.
But just because some people misinterpret it, you're labeling it as worthless.
That's like saying that because some people don't read the prescription directions on their medication and kill themselves, so therefore nobody should be given medication. Or that because some people drown in wells, nobody should be able to use them to get water.